What's new

*** Official "BARBERSHOP" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
Surprised at the lack of any Barbershop threads anywhere.
I just saw this movie last night in a SOLD OUT theater and I had a great, great time. It really is a very funny, charming, thoughtful, and very well written movie. It was a movie I walked in not expecting much and I left with a huge smile on my face. I think it is one of Ice Cube's best movies(and besides Friday and Three Kings, that isn't a hard thing to accomplish).
There are some great gut-busting performances from Cedric The Entertainer as the old school barber with alot of funny and strong opinions about, well, anything. And then there is Anthony Anderson playing a crook who spends the entire length of the movie trying to get one ATM machine open to hilarious results.
I think everybody should at least give this movie a try. You may just be pleasantly surprised like I was.
Checking out Rottentomatoes.com I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Barbershop". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.
Crawdaddy

Alphonse Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with you Timothy. I saw this last night and hadn't laughed this much in a theater since Undercover Brother. This is a rare comedy with heart that I can recommended for families to see together.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
We really loved this movie. Much better than most in its genre lately; There seems to be a point in most comedies when the story decides to buy the farm, or go on to something good, and this film really went the distance. Well paced, well acted and directed, and very entertaining. Good for Ice Cube!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A very funny film and the interplay between the characters reminded me of some people I knew in a couple of barbershops that I frequented in my lifetime. I might actually see this again or at least buy the dvd.

Crawdaddy

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought this film was a bit too heavy, it was trying to be too funny and too dramatic. To me, that didn't quite allow me to slip inside this Chicago barbershop all the way.

Maybe if more of the film took place inside the barbershop, and less on the other subplot, I would have been entertained more.

I give it a 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Since a sequel is already in the works, I thought I’d check out what all the hoopla was all about.
The film, for me, succeeded in what it was trying to do – a smart piece on the goings on inside a barbershop along with the humor of two bumbling thieves that provides the film a more lighthearted tone.
There is nothing earth shattering about the entire narrative of Barbershop. But what it provides is a sense of community and realism as the characters go through a lot of issues including, but are not limited to, civil rights, reverse race discrimination, tradition, values and the sense of belonging. I can listen to these characters talk all day and even debate with them because the arguments they provide are not pointless or mean-spirited but are rather meaningful and insightful even while, at times, they can be disaffected.
Barbershop celebrates the humanity and core of everyday living through conversations that are both well meaning and engaging. It is a film to laugh with and think about.
~Edwin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks