What's new

*** Official BAD SANTA Review Thread (1 Viewer)

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Funny movie!

Billy Bob is hilarious as drunken, cursing, thieving santa, as are his dwarf sidekick and bernie mac. john ritter also makes what must be one of his last appearances on film.

Definitely not for the kids, but underneath the crude sex jokes and cursing are some funny insights about how we celebrate the holidays.

7.5 / 10

Ed Faver

Second Unit
This film was hilarious. I literally fell out of my chair when Bernie Mac & Tony Cox got into it. Stays almost completely true to its black, black heart right to the end.

Go & leave the little ones at home. Give this one a 9 of 10.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I really needed this because I haven't LOL so hard at a movie theater in quite a while where the rest of the theater was also getting the jokes. I had tears running down my cheeks from laughing so hard at many of the jokes and "insightful" commentary of the holidays and the legend of Santa Claus, and the rest of Santa's "world".

This is not to say the movie is a "laugh-a-minute" comedy, but when it's funny, it's f-ing funny as hell. The middle act is a tad less funny, but still entertaining, and the film doesn't seem to drag much anywhere, so the pacing was pretty good.

The cast does a good job inhabiting their roles to serve the story. Billy Bob was very funny, and Tony Cox chewed up as much scenery below a normal waist line level would allow.

And yes, definitely not one to take your small children to see, it's rated R for a very good reason (something to do with not walking right for a week...
and among other things) Heh. :D

If you can handle the f-ing language, this Bad Santa is really bad (but in a good way).

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

P.S. A quick followup, I was watching a commerical for this movie, and I kept busting out laughing at the snippets of the scenes in the teaser commercial.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I haven't laughed this hard in a movie theater in long time. Billy Bob Thornton is great as a misanthropic, foul mouthed, horny, drunken Santa. Although it does have a darkly comic view on the holidays, there were also some very poignant moments like Thornton's relationship with a sweet little boy which prevents him from being totally unliekable.

I give it
:star: :star: :star: 1/2 out of :star::star::star::star: .

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Bad Santa". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Bad Santa is an offbeat comedy that exists in its own adult fantasy world where the humor is uncompromising as it is hilarious at times. The film works within its own context primarily due to Billy Bob Thornton in as much as what Johnny Depp did for Pirates of the Caribbean.

Under the direction of Terry Zwigoff (Crumb, Ghost World) and story by the Coen brothers, Ethan and Joel, its unconventional dark humor provides the most laughs. Those easily offended by strong language in any way shape or form especially in a holiday themed film, may want to seek out a different type of Christmas film altogether.

~Edwin

Ed Faver

Second Unit
After seeing the film, it's impossible for me to read comments that describe specifics without starting to laugh again. My son & me spent the evening throwing lines back and forth. The next time Lauren Graham is scheduled for a red carpet event, remind me to show up in a Santa suit!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A very funny film which didn't pull any punches with its R rating. Its been a long time since I laughed this hard and often watching a film.

Crawdaddy

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Utterly, utterly hilarious film. Laughed the hardest I have at a film in a long, long time.

Great acting, great characters, great writing, great humour.

If you can handle the language (and I was shocked to see young kids in the audience tonight), it's a must see.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
It was so un PC and I loved it for that. It packed a punch much the same way The Ref did but this is a bit edgier; and I mean that in a good way.
That little kid was classic too.
We havent laughed that much in a long time.

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
I cant say I laughed my ass off, but i did laugh. IT was mostly funny for its harsh language. I was expecting more PHYSICAL comedy like the boxing scene etc. IT was an overall funny movie, but i was expecting more more laugh my ass off moments.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Dear god, this was funny. Far more then I ever expected, the ideal film to see on Christmas Eve for me. The laughs came continuously with the right kind of dark and twisted humor I find most enjoyable; add in a good mix of some great references to previous films, and this is a classic for me.

:star: :star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Alright, EXTREMELY late to this party (only a couple of years :D), but my brother gave me the unrated version on dvd for Christmas and I just finished watching it for the first time as I missed it in theaters.

Never before have I witnessed a man so utterly miserable and pissed off in a film before and as a result I laughed harder than I have in quite some time!

I knew that, since this WAS a Hollywood film afterall, that at some point ol' grumpy-ass St. Nick would find a heart and turn himself around and was so thankful that it didn't really happen that way, it was refreshing. I do believe that this film just about ties with The Big Lebowski for the use of the *F* word LOL.

Tony Cox can more than hold his own against Bernie Mac in their exchanges, which I imagine were worse in the version I watched compared to the R cut, particularly in regards to a place Tony recently had his lips. :laugh:

And Lauren Graham...damn!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
Her Santa fetish was sexy as all hell!

I can't speak for Bad Santa, but Badder Santa drunkenly stumbled it's way onto my list of favorite comedies. :emoji_thumbsup:

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
I watched this as well the other night, with the wife. Both of us laughed like crazy during this film. She said she wanted to watch a Christmas movie, I told her Bad Santa was a feel good rolliking kiddie movie with the same intentions as The Grinch or blasted Santa Clause. He he. And they say Billy Bob is a Bad Santa. Anyway.... we both ended up laughing our backsides off.... Great film, and thoroughly recommended for adults.
i am laughing now just typing this.... thinking of this film..... he he

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks