*** Official BAD BOYS II Discussion Thread

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Title: Bad Boys II (2003)

Tagline: If you can't stand the heat, get out of Miami.

Genre: Adventure, Action, Comedy, Thriller, Crime

Director: Michael Bay

Cast: Martin Lawrence, Will Smith, Jordi Mollà, Gabrielle Union, Peter Stormare, Theresa Randle, Joe Pantoliano, Michael Shannon, Jon Seda, Yul Vazquez, Jason Manuel Olazabal, Otto Sanchez, Henry Rollins, Antoni Corone, Gary Nickens, John Salley, Oleg Taktarov, Michael Bay, Ron Madoff, Peter Donald Badalamenti II, Jay Rasumny, Donald Dowd, Jessica Sutta

Release: 2003-07-18

Runtime: 147

Plot: Out-of-control, trash-talking buddy cops Marcus Burnett and Mike Lowrey of the Miami Narcotics Task Force reunite, and bullets fly, cars crash and laughs explode as they pursue a whacked-out drug lord from the streets of Miami to the barrios of Cuba. But the real fireworks result when Marcus discovers that playboy Mike is secretly romancing Marcus’ sexy sister.

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Bad Boys II" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Bad Boys II" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Any other reviews on this film yet? I am actually very excited to see this movie. I already know to turn off any common sense before I enter. I just thought it looked to be the same as the first one,which I thoroughly enjoyed,only more action,more guns,more explosions, more of everything. I guess I will see for myself tomorrow night. It helps that I have a free ticket to it due to buying the Superbit edition of Bad Boys. And to come to the defense of Bruckheimer and Bay, I actually enjoy the movies that they make. A lot of turn off your brain action movies that are way over the top, but sometimes thats what I enjoy. What can I say,it's a guilty pleasure of mine.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Don't expect anything really serious in terms of character development in films like these, which are simply popcorn flicks that have that amusement park ride quality to them. In that vein, it's a fun time to just sit back and enjoy Marcus and Mike butt heads and also have their backs when it counts.

Spoilers below:

The scene where both guys give the 15 year old guy the grilling of his life as he shows up to pick up Marcus's daughter for a date was hilarious.

The morgue scene was funny (Marcus's reaction to the whole situation was the key to it).

The Electronics store scene where the two guys are having a heart-to-heart, which was fed through the stores close circuit TV feed, was also good for some major laughs.

Marcus on X had some laughs to it.

The cameos by both Bay and Marino were ill-placed, but what can you do by go with the flow.

The entire 3rd act felt like a totally different film.

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
As far as picture quality, this is absolutely the best film I've ever seen. I don't know if it was because I saw one the prints frist runs or what but. Before this I thought that some High Def transfers on SHO-HD, HBO-HD or whatever, rivaled or looked better than the film I see in the movie theater. The film was perfect, it looked so good I was a little bit distracted, but then the hot chicks in the night club got my attention. :)

I also became very intrigued after seeing the TCM trailer, but the best part was when the screen went black and you hear the girl running and screaming from the rear channels. I got a kick out of seeing the joy six pack audience start turning around and saying “where is that sound coming from.” :laugh:

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
As a action movie (laughs, explosions, story is just there for the ride) then I loved it. If you go in expecting more, or go in already hating it because of other reasons, then you will probably dislike it. This is just an action movie, and it delivers. It's amazing how people try to look way too deep into certain films.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Did anyone notice that the motion sensors at the end were similar, or probably the exact same ones, in the Rock?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I suppose it was an homage to The Rock.

I noticed several goofs in the film, such as the remote control car disappearing under the vehicle and some goofiness when captain is ranting about the TNT.

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
and the worst thing is, this crap cost me 28.00. Next time im staying home.
Dan, all I can tell you is a nice quote from Jerry Maguire, and I'm sure you can figure it out! If not..."Well boo-f******-hoo." ;)

Seriously, by all means if you can make a better movie go for it! I'll check it out! You didn't like the movie, that's fine. I did. Is this movie for everyone? No. Was it entertaining? Sure. To say you've lost all hope in humanity about someone liking a movie is just absurd. Oh well.

Chris

P.S. SteveTK, I'm right there with you. I almost typed the same thing you did for fear of the Michael Bay "Flame"wagon. Someone out there must like what Bay is doing. He puts asses in the seats, so the studios give hime heathly budgets. Money well spent in the action sequences. (FLAME SUIT ON!) :D

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
As a action movie (laughs, explosions, story is just there for the ride) then I loved it. If you go in expecting more, or go in already hating it because of other reasons, then you will probably dislike it. This is just an action movie, and it delivers. It's amazing how people try to look way too deep into certain films.
Amen, Steve_TK!

I really enjoyed this flick. Action, action and more action. Is it Oscar quality...no. Summer popcorn movie flick...yes!

As for the motion sensor...first thing I said was "The Rock"! I did notice a few bad edits "jumping frames" a couple of times. Didn't notice the car or the captain though.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I guess since there are a few others here that enjoyed it then it's safe for me to say that I loved the film. As a pure action movie, it is one of the most exhausting films I've ever seen. On top of that it's hilarious.

I think overall this movie will be enjoyed by the public, but not on this site. I think when you go in already hating something about the movie, whether you realize it or not, you will find ways to hate it. It's just like me for certain films. I really hate all freddy movies (no offense, just an opinion) so it doesn't matter how good the next film is, I just go in and find ways to hate it without even trying. It never fails. Some people are probably doing that with this film because of Micheal Bay. And I know some people are just finding ways to hate it so they can come back here and spout off about how much Micheal Bay sucks and here is my whole list of reasons. There are certain band wagons people love to be a part of on this site, this is definately one of them.

For me, I'll have no problem seeing this movie again.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Do you have any idea how insulting it is when someone dismisses your honest opinion as 'an agenda'?

Let it go, Steve. There's no agenda; the movie's a piece of crap.

You disagree? Great.

Try stating your own opinions without simply bashing those who don't see things your way.

I've never walked into a movie "Wanting To Hate". What a silly concept that is.

--And for the record: for years I've been mocked a bit for defending Michael Bay's talent. I'm a huge fan of both The Rock and Armageddon, warts and all. So explain to me how I'm gunning for the guy. Please.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Well I found this film totally amazing. More importantly to me though is that this was great Rated R action. I wish there was more. And they really pushed the rating. I have no idea why people are attacking this movie so hard. Ebert will give a good rating to something like 2 fast but this one star? And his review about the boyfriend not funny, what the hell is that all about? Amazing show, it reminded me of the old Die hard days in terms of all out action and violence.
Thanks

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Hi Scott. Maybe you should read my post again. I did not target you individually. I said I "think" and "some people" many times, it was an opinion the same as yours. Never did I say all people that do not like this film fit into that agenda. If the post does not target you as "one of those people" then you should not take offense to it.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Gotcha; it's kinda like if I said "Certain people who somehow liked this movie are freakin' MORONS!"

See what happens when we're vague and subtly insulting? ;)

Anyway, no hard feelings. I respect the fact that you liked the movie - even though I cannot fathom how such a thing is possible. :)

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
I thought MANY of the camera shots were amazing. I know some may have been enchanced by computers, but still. The scene with the camera doing a 360 during the gun battle was incredible. Just so original and different. It could've been a "been there done that" scene, but they were creative about it.

The movie was fun and everything I wanted it to be, give or take. There's definitely things I would've changed, but this was the 1 summer movie I wanted to see VERY badly (really liked the original), and it came through for me. They even brought back every person who was in the original. From Marcus's wife, to his kids, the the guy who works the computer with the coke bottle glasses...There was, though, a little too much gore. Surprised to see this from Bay.

I'm not sure why people will say a action flick is a popcorn movie, or it's just a brainless film. I don't know...are there action movies out there that truly stimulate the mind? I mean there might be action movies where you walk away thinking it was a great action movie AND told a good story, but if it wasn't exercising your brain, it seems to almost demean a film to call it a popcorn flick. I guess I just never understood this...

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
I LOVED this movie. It was funny, it was loaded with action. Just the thing to unwind. The idea for the 'seamless' shot (and I'm coining the phrase, thank you very much ;) ) was lifted from Panic Room, so I believe. And did anyone feel reminded of Goldfinger when the old lady pulled out the shotgun, like the old lady in Goldfinger with her machine gun? I regonised that instantly.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks