What's new

Official Back To The Mac Event Discussion Thread (10/20/10) (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I thought the screen resolution on the 13" MBA was 1440x900, which would be the same resolution as the current 15" MBP? Or did you buy the 1650x1050 MBP screen upgrade? Otherwise the screen real estate should be the same, just on a slightly smaller screen.

Originally Posted by Michael_K_Sr

I was just given a 2.13GHz MBA yesterday for testing purposes. Never have been a fan of the previous generation MBA's because the performance was deplorable. This new model, paired up with 4GB RAM and the 256GB SSD has won me over. In various application tests, its speeds appear equal to the 13-inch MBP. Of course, I haven't used an SSD equipped MBP, which I suppose would make a better comparison. What shocked me about this new MBA was that I was able to run both Aperture and Photoshop simultaneously on it and not feel bogged down. Sure they don't run as fast as my 15-inch MBP, but I didn't feel that the performance hit was a big negative. If I didn't miss the extra screen real estate that my 15-inch machine provides me with, I could see myself using this particular MBA as my everyday laptop.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
That's the only reason I'm holding off on buying the 13" MBA, to see if the MBP gets some of the goodies.

However I don't know if the MBP will get the "on board SSD" that the MBA got, because to integrate it that way would be to ditch traditional hard drive enclosures. A lot of people using the MBP need or want the extra space of a traditional hard drive, at which going "SSD" would be cost-prohibitive. They'd need to find a way to get to near 500MB "SSD" hard drive at a similar price point to the current 500MB traditional hard drive, and even then I'm not sure if MBP users would be cool with non-user replaceable HDs.

It would be great if the new 15" MBP were given the 1650x1080 resolution screen as standard rather than an upgrade, to make it have more pixels by default than the 13" MBA.

Originally Posted by Sam Posten

Yup, like I said I think a lot of folks who jump on the 13" air are going to be kicking tlhemselves when the 15 gets refreshed with the new hotness that the 13s got.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
You are correct that the resolution is the same, but older eyes need larger text/icons. [/url]

I thought the screen resolution on the 13" MBA was 1440x900, which would be the same resolution as the current 15" MBP? Or did you buy the 1650x1050 MBP screen upgrade? Otherwise the screen real estate should be the same, just on a slightly smaller screen.

[/quote]

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'll bet that the next 15" has a 256gb ssd as standard with a 512gb option, no hard drive at all, external optical only and does in fact have the higher Rez LCD as standard. And I will buy one, with or without available Bluray.

It will slim down a LOT and have twice the battery of the 13" if my dreams come true

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Michael - understood

Sam - I'd love that to be true, just not confident if it will happen within the next refresh. Unless Apple is counting the addition of the i7 2.8 BTO CPU as the "refresh" and the next MBP won't be out for another 10-11 months (which would piss me off).

My dream 15" MBP would be to include the 256GB/512GB upgrade option (at preferably not a cost-prohibitive amount), slim the machine down so that it weighed about 4 lbs, standard 1680x1050 resolution, along with obviously the latest and greatest (at the time of release) Intel CPU and nVidia mobile GPU.

If I could get 512GB SSD BTO I'd be willing to forego the replaceable HD, but would want either USB 3.0 or Firewire 1600 support to enable faster transfer rates for external drives.

I could live with an external CD/DVD drive as long as it would truly be bus-powered (not require an A/C adapter). I do a ton of CD burning and program installing so I really would need comparable transfer/performance from an external CD/DVD solution.

I'd need the RAM to be user upgradable, as I don't think the 4GB limit on the MBA to be acceptable for a MBP.

And yes, I'd buy that machine without BD as well (but don't tell Jobs).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For all the SSD action happening with Apple, I'm disappointed that replacement drives are still very expensive. I'd hoped to replace my 160 GB drive (2007 MBP) with a 320GB SSD this year, but they're above $200 for past a 64GB drive and 256GB+ are still sky high. By the time prices are affordable on the after-market drives, I'll better off buying a whole new Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks