What's new

*** Official AUSTRALIA Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The trailer for this is beautiful. I'm a male, and I'll readily admit Hugh is the best looking person in the film (I do hope Kidman delivers).

Anything Luhrmann does, I'm down for. A period epic romance set in his home country is double icing on the cake.

I hope it lives up to the visuals and potential.

townsend

Agent
Real Name
Scott
I'm hopeful this movie is a winner too. Like others, I'm a big historical epic movie fan, and movies like this don't come along too often.

In trailer 2, Nicole says to the aboriginal child something along the lines of "I will find you . . . whatever happens, I will come for you," which is soooo close to Hawkeye's line from Last of the Mohicans (when he separates from Madeleine Stowe).

Hopefully, this will not turn out to be an Australian "Pearl Harbor"--the Jerry Bruckheimer film was just awful (IMO). I think Baz is above that. The Australian scenery may be worth the price of admission alone, but I hope the plot is intelligent and the character development is natural and not contrived.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Er... ok... something about this film (which I've yet to see) just irritates me.

Disclaimer, I've been on a hiatus of sorts for about a year now, have seen a few films since, and have a hard time getting excited about any films lately so it could just be that. But Slumdog Millionaire and a few others have picked my interest...

It seems like Luhrmann decided that Oz needed it's own epic, and this would be it. I can't help but feel like this is a carefully, cynically engineered product where every element was checked off a list of what one needs to create "a sweeping epic" -- with an eye toward the grand prize of course. The film could turn out better than the sum of it's parts, but nothing I've read so far suggests it does. It's getting harder for me to commit 3 hours to something that feels like deja-vu.

Or maybe I need help.

--
H

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Australia". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Australia" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Greg_M

Screenwriter
the film didn't score very high at the box-office this week only $20 Million coming in at #5

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
IMO, this tries to be 3 films in one, in order to be both epic and "something for everyone":
the first 20-30 minutes is a farce about manners/culture between the crude outback cowboy (Jackman) and the prude/proper/snooty Brit woman (Kidman).
The next hour+ is an Aussie Western, and the last hour+ is a war romance movie.

It has very high production values (great scenery/lighting/cinematography), but the story/plot is too "high style Hollywood" to ring true for me. It also has the classic flaw of many modern "too Hollywood" movies, IMO: using today's sensibilities & standards in the stars' attitudes/mores, while all the extras are depicted as (fill in the blank for their cultural offenses: racist, bigoted, unenlightened, etc.).

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I really enjoyed this, fantastic film. I watched it on Blu for the first time today and look very forward to a second viewing.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
We are watching this tonight at home on Blu for "date night". Wife is already stoked about the Wolverine movie, and we need a Jackman fix...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I have a neighbor coming over tonight, she's never seen it and I am looking very forward to a second viewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks