What's new

Official Atmos Home Theater Thread UPDATED With First Impressions (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DanH1972 said:
1) Because 4k implementation has slipped many times in the past. Really? In the grand scheme, 4K/UHD is an infant still suckling the mother's teet. 2) Because these behind the scenes rumblings are very relevant to the possible future of Atmos. It goes hand in hand. I'm surprised you can't see that.Future of Atmos? Implement or not. You seem to think every theatre in the home is already 7.1 and/or incorporating width/height.

skads_187

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
im looking at the white paper, and its talking about in ceiling speakers with wide dispersion.
so if i do i a 7.1.4 setup , would these speakers be a good option: Paradigm AMS-150R?
or should i get 30 degree angled ones for the front and downward facing for the rear heights?

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
skads_187 said:
im looking at the white paper, and its talking about in ceiling speakers with wide dispersion.
so if i do i a 7.1.4 setup , would these speakers be a good option: Paradigm AMS-150R?
or should i get 30 degree angled ones for the front and downward facing for the rear heights?
What are your main speakers? You should timbre match as close as possible to your main speakers... and they must be able to handle a wide dynamic range... an Atmos soundtrack like Transformers 4 would probably kill lesser speakers! Those particular Paradigm in-ceilings don't show a dispersal pattern listed in the specs. More than likely you'll need speakers you can aim towards the MLP given the angle range in the newest installation white paper.

skads_187

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
DanH1972 said:
What are your main speakers? You should timbre match as close as possible to your main speakers... and they must be able to handle a wide dynamic range... an Atmos soundtrack like Transformers 4 would probably kill lesser speakers! Those particular Paradigm in-ceilings don't show a dispersal pattern listed in the specs. More than likely you'll need speakers you can aim towards the MLP given the angle range in the newest installation white paper.
thing is, at the moment i have psb image series, but im looking at upgrading my L C R to the studio series, but i dont know when exactly. looking at the studio 60's and CC590 center.
but if i match with what i have right now, my image t45's are rated 10-150Watts, the ceiling speakers i mentioned are 15-110watts.

unless i go with this model Paradigm SA-15R-30 for the front heights and stick with the AMS-150R for the rear? or should the rear ones be 30 degree angled as well.

im just confused because the atmos layout for 7.1.4 , i find that the front heights are pretty close to the listening position already, with the 30 degree facing the listener, will it be too much you think? and overpower the other sound?

i didnt want to spend too too much on the ceiling speakers as im not sure how much content i will have to actually enjoy it on a regular basis. but dont want to installed too badly either.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am sure that I said nothing about needing a new bluray player for Atmos.

Because Atmos will most likely be a part of any 4K UHD format that comes out so IMHO it is relevant.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
skads_187 said:
thing is, at the moment i have psb image series, but im looking at upgrading my L C R to the studio series, but i dont know when exactly. looking at the studio 60's and CC590 center.
but if i match with what i have right now, my image t45's are rated 10-150Watts, the ceiling speakers i mentioned are 15-110watts.

unless i go with this model Paradigm SA-15R-30 for the front heights and stick with the AMS-150R for the rear? or should the rear ones be 30 degree angled as well.

im just confused because the atmos layout for 7.1.4 , i find that the front heights are pretty close to the listening position already, with the 30 degree facing the listener, will it be too much you think? and overpower the other sound?

i didnt want to spend too too much on the ceiling speakers as im not sure how much content i will have to actually enjoy it on a regular basis. but dont want to installed too badly either.
You can still use the ceiling speakers for Dolby Surround upmixing. And you'll want Studio Reference speakers for front and rear top speakers to timbre match with your eventual front and surround Studios. I don't recommend ADP surrounds for Atmos. Their tweeters/mid ranges are wired as dipoles.

Since Paradigm in-ceilings probably don't meet Atmos specifications for dispersion I would probably use angled models for both pairs, making sure that the angle pattern matches the recommended installation parameters once mounted in the ceiling.

skads_187

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
DanH1972 said:
You can still use the ceiling speakers for Dolby Surround upmixing. And you'll want Studio Reference speakers for front and rear top speakers to timbre match with your eventual front and surround Studios. I don't recommend ADP surrounds for Atmos. Their tweeters/mid ranges are wired as dipoles.

Since Paradigm in-ceilings probably don't meet Atmos specifications for dispersion I would probably use angled models for both pairs, making sure that the angle pattern matches the recommended installation parameters once mounted in the ceiling.
so i am assuming you mean 30 degree front and 150 degree back. from what i can see on their site.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
skads_187 said:
so i am assuming you mean 30 degree front and 150 degree back. from what i can see on their site.
It depends on where your MLP is placed within the room. That will force you to make adjustments accordingly. Take a look at their new white paper ^ ^.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
According to bluray.com the first title to come out offering Dolby Atmos will be:

Transformers: Age of Extinction
transformers__age_of_extinction___blu_ray_concept_by_spacer114-d7i6gn4.png

Video: 1080p
Sound: Dolby Atmos, Dolby True HD 7.1, Dolby Digital 5.1

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14840

I am betting that Gravity & The Avengers: The Age Of Ultron will also be released with Dolby Atmos.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I hate the thought of sinking a couple grand into an Atmos processor that has limits on channels, when I'd like to be able to also add some of the additional fronts and surrounds incrementally as finances permit. It's a dilemma that is probably best to wait on. There may be more affordable products in the next two years to address those of us unable to shell out 30 grand for the full array now. A good processor (not reciever w/amps) in the 3-5 grand range with full array capabilities would be in the acceptable ballpark.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dave Moritz said:
I am sure that I said nothing about needing a new bluray player for Atmos. Because Atmos will most likely be a part of any 4K UHD format that comes out so IMHO it is relevant.
You kept talking about UHD combined with Atmos like they would only occur together.I see the white paper shows a typical living room layout that shows no resemblance to the ITU standard.But like I've said all along...Overhead speakers mounted above the corners of the seating out approximately 2-3 feet at a 45 degree angle.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm cautiously optimistic. A 5.1.4 system should work for my room, and is a baseline option being described. And since it's a 9.1 coding, it's supported by current receivers. Hopefully they'll be more affordable in a year or two.It's the speakers that are the challenge. I've got an SVS MTS system. I have no ideas what four speakers would be an affordable match for them.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DaveF said:
I'm cautiously optimistic. A 5.1.4 system should work for my room, and is a baseline option being described. And since it's a 9.1 coding, it's supported by current receivers. Hopefully they'll be more affordable in a year or two.It's the speakers that are the challenge. I've got an SVS MTS system. I have no ideas what four speakers would be an affordable match for them.
What is the Ebay situation on MTS?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
schan1269 said:
What is the Ebay situation on MTS?
schan1269 said:
There is a pair of SBS 01. Those are concurrent.
I haven't looked yet to see what's out there. I'm likely 12-24 months from this upgrade. But SBS speakers would be a good option for ceiling speakers, being comparatively small and of the same era and similar components (I presume) as my MTS.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
The T4 demo clip used by Dolby at their CEDIA demo was underwhelming at best. You could barely make out where sounds were coming from... it was, as they say, a hot mess... of jumbled sound and mayhem or, if you prefer, Bayhem. Hopefully, it was just that scene. The bass was overwhelming... and not in a good way. It obscured the sound field.

The best movie clip turned out to be the all too short snippet from Star Trek: Into Darkness. There was only one music video and that was quite aggressive in utilizing the entire Atmos spectrum of 3D sound... and the smokin' Latin babes helped too! :D

The Atmos trailers showcased its potential the best. And 9.1.4 was the best "base" layout I heard... but it comes at a steep price. Though, a Dolby engineer may have tipped his hat when he mentioned to me that they were working on a 9.1.4 rendering block. Maybe for next year's "mainstream" product?? I can only hope!!!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Not sure when I will be able to upgrade myself. The last 5.1 receiver I used was my Yamaha RX-V995 which I still have, I used it for aprox 14 - 15 years before I was able to upgrade to the Pioneer Elite SC-05 7.1 receiver I am currently using. What I want to be able to do is to expand my system to a 7.1.4 but have the capability to go to a 7.1.6 if I get a bigger place. I am currently looking at Denon and Pioneer Elites for Dolby Atmos and what ever DTS puts out to compete with Dolby. I am not sure about Onkyo anymore and maybe Rotel if finances are better and maybe Yamaha. I am sure that features will come into play at some point but 4K switching and sound quality are the most important along with internal Atmos and UHD decoding. This is going to be a painful upgrade with needing a new receiver, 4 speakers for Atmos, replacing my current surround speakers to match the Atmos channels and a new center channel speakers. Other than wanting a 4K projector and 120" screen I honestly do not want to upgrade past this after Atmos, speakers and a 4K projector.

RayJr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
Thank you to Adam, Ron and HTF for the chance to attend the Dolby Atmos Demo at CEDIA.
This was a really fun meeting other HTF members face to face, and chatting it up. Now for the feedback I promised Adam.
Here is what I found.....once again I preferred the Atmos enabled speakers...just seemed to have way more space then the direct firing speakers.
I did get a chance to speak with Craig Eggers and Brett Crockett about the New York Demo and asked why most those people preferred the direct firing speakers ..they told me that the ceiling in the NY demo was to absorbent..that was why most preferred direct firing.
Thanks again HTF..and it was great meeting the members that attended and putting a face to the screen name.

RayJr

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks