What's new

Official Atmos Home Theater Thread UPDATED With First Impressions (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
DanH1972 said:
Four in both scenarios is recommended so you have front to back and 360 degree true overhead or simulated overhead panning.
Do the floor speakers sit two in front of you and two in back or can all four be in front of you?

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Robert Crawford said:
Do the floor speakers sit two in front of you and two in back or can all four be in front of you?
Dolby has shown that the front tops are to be located in front of you, but not directly over the front speakers, the same for the rear tops.

If you're taking about the Dolby Atmos "enabled" speakers (with upward firing modules) then the front left and rights are in the normal 30 degree range and the rear "enabled" speakers are positioned where you would put the rear surrounds in a 7.1 layout (around the 150 degree area). The side surrounds are "normal" speakers, as always, placed at around the 90 degree mark.

Dolby will be releasing an installation white paper around the CEDIA Expo

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
andySu said:
Somehow I don't see Dolby updating Atmos any sooner. 70mm had few make-overs during the mid '70's and soon one format was settled on that became to be known as 5.1.
If you're trying to say that after the age of 70mm, digital sound evolved to 5.1, that's correct, but it wasn't the only format, there's also 7.1 and alternative formats such as Auro 11.1 and digital sound on 35mm film also supported Dolby EX and DTS ES which added a matrixed center rear channel (although admittedly, it was hard to notice.)

If you're trying to say that 70mm evolved to 5.1, that's totally incorrect. 70mm originally was six discrete channels: 5 stage channels and 1 surround channel. In the latter part of the discrete era when budgets tightened up, 70mm films basically used the 4-track mag mix and combined left and center for Left-Center and combined center and right for Right-Center.

Dolby recognized this and for the 70mm release of Star Wars in 1977, repurposed channels 2 and 4 to be low-frequency effects channels only and called that format the 70mm "Baby-Boom" format.

When split-surround came along for Apocalypse Now (in 70mm), mag channels sent low frequencies to the two stage effects channels as it did before, but high frequencies on those same tracks were sent to the now stereo surrounds. Low frequencies for those surrounds came from mag track 6 and were actually mono. This was done primarily to achieve more localization for the helicopter flyovers, an effect that Dolby Atmos (in the theatre) excels at.

I don't know what you mean by updating Atmos, but like most formats today, it can be updated by firmware upgrades. As we know, the initial home receivers are only going to include four extra channels - the four ceiling channels, but other receivers in the future may support up to 24 "ground" channels and 10 ceiling channels.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
zoetmb said:
If you're trying to say that after the age of 70mm, digital sound evolved to 5.1, that's correct, but it wasn't the only format, there's also 7.1 and alternative formats such as Auro 11.1 and digital sound on 35mm film also supported Dolby EX and DTS ES which added a matrixed center rear channel (although admittedly, it was hard to notice.)

If you're trying to say that 70mm evolved to 5.1, that's totally incorrect. 70mm originally was six discrete channels: 5 stage channels and 1 surround channel. In the latter part of the discrete era when budgets tightened up, 70mm films basically used the 4-track mag mix and combined left and center for Left-Center and combined center and right for Right-Center.

Dolby recognized this and for the 70mm release of Star Wars in 1977, repurposed channels 2 and 4 to be low-frequency effects channels only and called that format the 70mm "Baby-Boom" format.

When split-surround came along for Apocalypse Now (in 70mm), mag channels sent low frequencies to the two stage effects channels as it did before, but high frequencies on those same tracks were sent to the now stereo surrounds. Low frequencies for those surrounds came from mag track 6 and were actually mono. This was done primarily to achieve more localization for the helicopter flyovers, an effect that Dolby Atmos (in the theatre) excels at.

I don't know what you mean by updating Atmos, but like most formats today, it can be updated by firmware upgrades. As we know, the initial home receivers are only going to include four extra channels - the four ceiling channels, but other receivers in the future may support up to 24 "ground" channels and 10 ceiling channels.
Already happening with Trinnov and other ultra high end pre-amp/processors. Just be ready for sticker shock.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
DanH1972 said:
Already happening with Trinnov and other ultra high end pre-amp/processors. Just be ready for sticker shock.
I'm getting sticker shock at the grocery store, so.....
I was looking at electric theater curtain rods/mechanisms, and was blown out of my chair! $800+! I remember additions/upgrades every 6 months or so 15 years ago, now it take years. :eek:

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
Dr Griffin said:
Atmos has been around a couple years and I'd still have to drive 2 1/2 hours to hear it. The theater that has Atmos is not in the major metroplolitan area that's only 30 min away, it's in the middle of nowhere! :angry: The theaters must be in dire financial shape, that hardly any in my area have THX certification anymore, and certainly aren't springing for Atmos!
THX in the cinema is almost dead. There are only 7 THX cinemas in all of Los Angeles (including Orange County and the valley)!

http://www.thx.com/consumer/movies/find-a-thx-certified-cinema/?type=cinema&address=Burbank%2C+CA+91505%2C+USA&distance=50&pg=2

That doesn't mean there aren't a lot of dang good cinemas out there, but the THX brand is almost totally irrelevant.

Granted, it lost relevance for me the first time I saw a THX-certified VHS tape. But it looks like everyone else has caught up.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I started questioning the THX home certification for gear when they certified the Kenwood pre pro that came out. It didn't help after Kenwood at the time did a tour with this pre/pro and after the demo was over and the people had left. The guy admitted that they where not even using the matching Kenwood power amp, that they where using a commercial grade amp. I remember hearing that amp before and seeing the THX logo and not even being close to impressed. I thought to myself wow they will slap THX on anything, rofl.

Am patiently waiting for the Atmos home demos to be set up and to see what titles will be coming out on Blu-ray disc. I may delay a few new releases just in case the come out with a Dolby Atmos release, am tired of double and triple dipping of titles and I am to broke for that.

skads_187

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
I'm lucky enough to be building a new room and will be able to place 4 ceiling speakers. Although Im only at 8 feet height. Hopefully it will be ok.Thing is I might have jumped the gun to early as I already have purchased 4 ceiling speakers , the front heights I bought are paradigms at a 30 degree angle which I can point towards the seating position, should I be getting ceiling speakers that face down for the fronts? I just figured since they are further away, might be practical to have the sound pointed toward the seating area

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Jonathan Burk said:
THX in the cinema is almost dead. There are only 7 THX cinemas in all of Los Angeles (including Orange County and the valley)!

http://www.thx.com/consumer/movies/find-a-thx-certified-cinema/?type=cinema&address=Burbank%2C+CA+91505%2C+USA&distance=50&pg=2

That doesn't mean there aren't a lot of dang good cinemas out there, but the THX brand is almost totally irrelevant.

Granted, it lost relevance for me the first time I saw a THX-certified VHS tape. But it looks like everyone else has caught up.
Dave Moritz said:
I started questioning the THX home certification for gear when they certified the Kenwood pre pro that came out. It didn't help after Kenwood at the time did a tour with this pre/pro and after the demo was over and the people had left. The guy admitted that they where not even using the matching Kenwood power amp, that they where using a commercial grade amp. I remember hearing that amp before and seeing the THX logo and not even being close to impressed. I thought to myself wow they will slap THX on anything, rofl.

Am patiently waiting for the Atmos home demos to be set up and to see what titles will be coming out on Blu-ray disc. I may delay a few new releases just in case the come out with a Dolby Atmos release, am tired of double and triple dipping of titles and I am to broke for that.
You can't argue that THX started a revolution in criteria for great sound in the cinema. While now the original people behind the certification have moved on, there is still value in the THX certification. Parasound, which is a fine audio company, still finds the value in the THX certification. I do agree, that there are too many levels of the certification, allowing for some questionable products to be included. The higher tiers are still beyond reproach and a good guideline to follow for building a reference home cinema sound system.
By the way, I am no longer impressed by the sound in many of the multi-plexes today, especially the bass, which is very pedestrian. I saw many films over the years in THX certified theaters and it was way better than what's available now. rofl.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
skads_187 said:
I'm lucky enough to be building a new room and will be able to place 4 ceiling speakers. Although Im only at 8 feet height. Hopefully it will be ok.Thing is I might have jumped the gun to early as I already have purchased 4 ceiling speakers , the front heights I bought are paradigms at a 30 degree angle which I can point towards the seating position, should I be getting ceiling speakers that face down for the fronts? I just figured since they are further away, might be practical to have the sound pointed toward the seating area
I'm not too clear on this either, but the Dolby Atmos demo some members attended, had ceiling mounted speakers facing the listening area.

skads_187

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
Dr Griffin said:
I'm not too clear on this either, but the Dolby Atmos demo some members attended, had ceiling mounted speakers facing the listening area.
thanks were they simply facing or the angled type?
im assuming all info will be released in Sept?

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
skads_187 said:
The Dolby Atmos demos for the home had downward facing, wide dispersal monopole on ceiling or in-ceiling speakers. The key is wider than 90 degrees if possible, otherwise you have to aim them at the MLP.

September is the big roll out of information and white papers.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
skads_187 said:
There are some photos on the preceding page of this thread.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Dr Griffin said:
Where can I get those Dolby double D theater seats, that are in the poster? :)
14943050306_4ebde0b290_b.jpg
I asked cinema seating supplier where I got my seats from, and its called (embossing) and its doable only its extremely expensive. Also there is the Copyright issue you'd need permission.

I was recommended upholsterer cover and t-shirt printing shop would be a lot cheaper.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
All I know is that it is going to be interesting if I actually go through with setting up a Dolby Atmos system. My room has some issues regarding a window taking up a lot of space on one side of the room and a ceiling fan in the middle of the ceiling. I will have to move my surround speakers from the ceiling mount to a speaker stand and hopefully they will not be to over bearing because on each side they will be close to the listening area. Then figuring out where I can put the Atmos speakers which I might flush mount into the ceiling. This is going to be a total pain! Not going to worry about it till I hear it and make a decision to go Atmos.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
The Dolby Atmos home setup does sound very exciting, but will probably go for one of those 'theatre in a box' sets to start out with, God only knows when it will roll out here in Australia as there are very few theatres with Atmos speaker setups operating now in September 2014.

I don't care what anyone says, I love the THX setup and branding, hope it continues -- in Melbourne the Village Centre in Bourke St had technically some of the best theatres in the country for nearly 20 years, thanks to the THX qualifications and quality control.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Don't know why but I am itching to find out what movies will be coming out encoded in Dolby Atmos?

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Brian McP said:
The Dolby Atmos home setup does sound very exciting, but will probably go for one of those 'theatre in a box' sets to start out with, God only knows when it will roll out here in Australia as there are very few theatres with Atmos speaker setups operating now in September 2014.

I don't care what anyone says, I love the THX setup and branding, hope it continues -- in Melbourne the Village Centre in Bourke St had technically some of the best theatres in the country for nearly 20 years, thanks to the THX qualifications and quality control.
Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System monitor 3417, here. I don't rarely use home THX Ultra2 on my Onkyo TH SR-875. The AVR is only used for decoding and video mode switching..

THX has stage HF LCR boast so no issues of HF loss behind the screen when I drop a screen down that can't easily be compensated with.

alignment phase frequency of processor and amp return feeds can all be checked on with RTA or oscilloscope and other test gear.

x6 cards are fitted inside removed a few from the other THX I have.

8 monitor buttons to check sound system speakers and much more.

Got keep your eyes peeled for these on ebay.

10603740_10152654962765149_8735802963775990317_n.jpg

10582751_10152686693455149_8066505717483132242_o.jpg

10689727_10152686693580149_4906885006269866908_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks