What's new

Official Apple Worldwide Developers Conference 2010 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Originally Posted by mattCR

No, you are correct.

If your current contract is set to expire this year only does the agreement happen. So, you must be at least 18 months into a 24 month contract. ATT is waiving the last 6 months. If you just signed an agreement last year, you will pay full price, no discount.

Actually this info is wrong. It's not whether the phone's contract will be up in 2010 but whether it will be "upgrade eligible" by the end of 2010. AT&T has always offered early upgrade eligibility to its customers that spend the most on monthly service. My colleague that got a 3GS at launch last year got his confirmation today that he'll be able to upgrade to iPhone 4.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
What a slap in the face then.. I drop a $500 with ATT every freaking month, and they don't hustle my upgrades :) Grr!

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Ron, I was told that I was eligible for an upgrade of my 3GS, BUT that in addition to the phone (199 or 299) price, I had to pay an extra $18. AT&T always screws us somehow. And BTW, for those who don't know it: the new tethering feature from AT&T will NOT support WiFi only iPads as some thought (or expected). I expected to hear some news on the new Apple TV today since it's supposed to be using iOS4, but of course.... nada.

BTW, Safari 5 is out.

Take care, Raul

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I get a Federal discount on my service so with the
lowest plan I am only paying about $65 a month.

Guess AT&T is not going to offer me any sort of

upgrade plan at that monthly rate.

Those of you being offered the upgrade must be

shelling out a bit more than that each month.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I have just realized sometimes you need to threaten ATT. I called them today and told them I was planning to pay the early termination and leave. The early termination is $150 less then my monthly bill.

After being passed around twice, I was offered a free iPhone and discounts. Damn, I should have threatened earlier.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Matt, do you provide iPhones for all the kids in your neighborhood? :D You've got quite the phone bill!

And a big reason I wish Verizon had the iPhone is for the corporate discount. I get a 20% V discount, but only a 12% w/ ATT. And I've read the discount no longer applies to the data plans.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

I'm paying about the same as you Ron with my State of Georgia employee discount and I was offered the lowered upgrade price. I've only had my phone since April 09 I believe.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by DaveF

Matt, do you provide iPhones for all the kids in your neighborhood? :D You've got quite the phone bill!

And a big reason I wish Verizon had the iPhone is for the corporate discount. I get a 20% V discount, but only a 12% w/ ATT. And I've read the discount no longer applies to the data plans.

Hah. 1BB / iP. But, I carry the blackberry plan on both ($50) and then I carry 3000 minutes a month. I had tried to go down to 2000 minutes, but I got so boned with overages, they put it back. So my base plan is $190 on each phone (2 wife and me)

So, $190*2 + $50+$50. and then tax.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein 

I'm about 99% sure that I read in one of the blogs or forums that anyone who is eligible THIS YEAR to upgrade is able to upgrade now. So as long as your upgradable before the end of the year ATT is allowing a new 2 year plan for an iPhone 4

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I guess I'll need to do that. There are a couple members of my family who aren't under contract that I could get the phone through, but I'm not sure how much of a hassle that would be.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by mattCR

Hah. 1BB / iP. But, I carry the blackberry plan on both ($50) and then I carry 3000 minutes a month. I had tried to go down to 2000 minutes, but I got so boned with overages, they put it back. So my base plan is $190 on each phone (2 wife and me)

So, $190*2 + $50+$50. and then tax.
To quote the inestimable Ralph Wiggum, "My cat's breath smells like cat food."

You're doing something unusual with your phone plans -- business needs I presume. Just to make sure I checked the AT&T plans, and "normal" use does not result in $500 monthly plans, so I'm OK :) (I'll be on something like the 1400 min family plan.)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, I have to be oncall for someone. So, I burn through minutes a month like water :( Last month I used up 2,782 minutes .. so I'm on the "Family Talk Unlimited" (you're right, I had to look over my statement) which counting the other options is like $89/month, which isn't bad per phone *2, plus BB Business Unlimited (49*2), + International Call Accept on both, and Bus Call Forwarding and extended voice mail.

But still, my last statement came down.. a lot. I didn't realize that at all, so Kudos to ATT. Last statement was $349. Somewhere in there, my billing dropped almost $100 in May from April. I'm not sure what happened there.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I could be wrong, but I thought AT&T indicated that if you have current plans and simply renew them, you don't have to sign up for the new data plans? That those would only be for new customers?

The drawback being that you won't be able to do tethering when it's offered because that is only an add-on option to the high-end new data plan. But with AT&T's performance in my area, I'm likely not going to be doing any tethering any time soon...

Originally Posted by DaveF

You're the person that these new data plans are going to hurt, I guess.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yes, it will hurt me. I've been told for now I can stay with my unlimited plan. But, because of the way the forwarding feature works, I have to renew that every year. So, I'm waiting for August 15 to roll around and for them to tell me my new bundle will have to be limited and then I'm hosed. I will likely pay the early termination fee to leave then.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Developers, if you missed WWDC you need to see the videos, some VERY interesting things in the other keynotes!

http://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2010/

The rest of you will just have to wait muajajajajaja

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks