What's new

*** Official APPALOOSA Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Yes, I saw it last Saturday (Sept. 20) in New York. It's supposed to go wider on Oct. 3.

I loved it -- really loved it -- but a lot depends on your expectations. It's not an Open Range. It's a much slyer, funnier film, and the humor is purely intentional. (There's a running gag between Harris and Mortensen that lets you know you're meant to laugh.) And the plot takes its time, because the real story is the relationship between these two long-time friends and co-workers, and how it's affected when Renee Zellweger's character turns up. Jeremy Irons does a fine job as the nasty villain, but going after him becomes almost a secondary plot.

I've heard the criticism (mostly from one of the new guys on At the Movies) that Zellweger is from another movie, but that's really the point: She's a different animal from these two hired guns. There's a great conversation in the second half of the film in which they sort out what they think about her. It's not politically correct, but it's accurate.

The cinematography is gorgeous. It was shot by Dean Semler, Oscar winner for Dances with Wolves, veteran of the second two Mad Max films and many others. Semler and Harris frame for the full width of the 2.35:1 frame. This is one of those rare contemporary films that has an old-time epic visual sweep. Worth seeing in a theater, IMO, but then I usually say that.

Stay through the end credits. Harris sings a country-western ballad, in character as Virgil, to Zellweger's character. It's both funny and touching, and he's a pretty good singer.

Probably my favorite American Western since Unforgiven (and that includes Wyatt Earp, Open Range and last year's 3:10 to Yuma and Assassination of Jesse James, all of which I enjoyed). I said "American" Western so as not to have to decide between this and The Proposition.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

M.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Appaloosa". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I viewed this film over the weekend and I liked it a lot. To me it's on par with "Open Range" with more humor as alluded to by Michael, but "3:10 to Yuma" is not as good in my opinion. I wish they would do more westerns as it's a great genre for storytelling that Hollywood needs to try more often.

Crawdaddy

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
While the relationship between the two main characters is good, and humorous at times, the basic storyline is one we've seen done over and over again and this has got to be the worst version yet. There really is no pinnacle to the film, no real moments that grab the viewer and take hold. There are moments that the cinematography is fantastic but those moments are few and far between. The acting, average at best. Overall, one of the more disappointing Westerns to come along in a long time.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Used my X360 to "rent" this in HD last night. I came for Viggo and Ed Harris in a western, and I got what I wanted. I did love their characters and interplay. It was also a good looking western. Not Unforgiven, but a fun time at the movies nonetheless.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I thought the film was proceeding well enough until Zellweger showed up. Once she showed up the film became predictable. I think the film would have been better if it would have stayed focussed on the relationship between Harris and Mortensen. I also found it hard to believe that Harris's character fell so quickly for her character. I kept asking myself what he saw in her, because she was homely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks