What's new

*** Official APPALOOSA Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
This starts to sound quite repetitive (e.g. "Good" and "The Road"-threads), but this looks great:

IMDB:
Appaloosa (2008)

Trailer:
Worth Watching - Aug 6: Ed Harris' Appaloosa Trailer « FirstShowing.net

Directed by Ed Harris and starring Harris, Viggo Mortensen, Jeremy Irons and Renée Zellweger. Great cast and the film looks kinda "rugged" too. Cult-actor Lance Henriksen also in the film...

I love westerns, so..
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I think it looks pretty cool. I've heard some remark that it looks a bit like "Open Range", but I don't know.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Appaloosa has themes not dissimilar to Open Range though it's a very different story. I'm looking forward to this film more than any other this year. It's based on a first-rate novel by Robert B. Parker (author of Spenser private eye novels) who turns out to be a natural at the western genre. Parker also wrote a sequel, Resolution. Let's hope he writes more westerns as good as these and that Ed Harris films them.

Amazon.com: Appaloosa: Robert B. Parker: Books

Amazon.com: Resolution: Robert B. Parker: Books

Parker was clearly influenced by Oakley Hall's epic Warlock (the novel, not so much the film), though it can be argued that Warlock has been a tremendous influence on westerns in general since it was published (1958).

Limited release September 19.
Limited because it's a western.

International release dates:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800308/releaseinfo

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Yes, I saw it last Saturday (Sept. 20) in New York. It's supposed to go wider on Oct. 3.

I loved it -- really loved it -- but a lot depends on your expectations. It's not an Open Range. It's a much slyer, funnier film, and the humor is purely intentional. (There's a running gag between Harris and Mortensen that lets you know you're meant to laugh.) And the plot takes its time, because the real story is the relationship between these two long-time friends and co-workers, and how it's affected when Renee Zellweger's character turns up. Jeremy Irons does a fine job as the nasty villain, but going after him becomes almost a secondary plot.

I've heard the criticism (mostly from one of the new guys on At the Movies) that Zellweger is from another movie, but that's really the point: She's a different animal from these two hired guns. There's a great conversation in the second half of the film in which they sort out what they think about her. It's not politically correct, but it's accurate.

The cinematography is gorgeous. It was shot by Dean Semler, Oscar winner for Dances with Wolves, veteran of the second two Mad Max films and many others. Semler and Harris frame for the full width of the 2.35:1 frame. This is one of those rare contemporary films that has an old-time epic visual sweep. Worth seeing in a theater, IMO, but then I usually say that.

Stay through the end credits. Harris sings a country-western ballad, in character as Virgil, to Zellweger's character. It's both funny and touching, and he's a pretty good singer.

Probably my favorite American Western since Unforgiven (and that includes Wyatt Earp, Open Range and last year's 3:10 to Yuma and Assassination of Jesse James, all of which I enjoyed). I said "American" Western so as not to have to decide between this and The Proposition.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

M.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Appaloosa". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Appaloosa" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What I really liked about this film is that even though Zellweger's character changed the relationship between Harris and Mortensen's characters, the loyalty between the two males never really changed. When an accusation was made by Zellweger towards Mortensen, Harris still believed his partner without hesitation. It's something that shouldn't even be question between two men because they have faced death so many times together that they would always believe in each other's word over what anybody else might say about the other.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks