*** Official ANYTHING ELSE Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robert Crawford, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Dec 9, 1998
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Anything Else". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

2. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

Aug 1, 2002
    I saw Anything Else Friday night. I found to be very enjoyable and quite reminiscient of Allen's peak years (Annie Hall, Manhattan). Very well written with Allen's usual intelligent, hilarious dialogue and very good performances from the young cast. I was surprised how much I liked Jason Biggs and Christina Ricci in this movie. They did a great job at handling Allen's dialogue. Woody himself is great as Biggs' older mentor and comedy-writing partner and Danny DeVito is well-cast as Biggs' manager. Overall, I bought into the characters and cared about them and I enjoyed the performances and the sparkling dialogue. I found Anything Else to be funny, poignant and charming.

Interestingly, the poster makes the movie look like a run-of-the-mill romantic comedy, prominently displaying Biggs and Ricci with nary a mention of Woody Allen's name. I have a feeling that theaters will be filled with people who are surprised to find that they are watching a Woody Allen film.
  3. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

Sep 19, 2000
    Gotta give a negative review to this one. I should say that I've seen all of Allen's movies in the theater since 1993 and I've been a huge fan since 1990. I've enjoyed all his movies of the 1990s and early 2000s even when most have been visciously panned. This one was close to unbearable for me to watch.

If it was reminiscent of Allen's peak years, thats only because jokes and situations are recycled from his other pictures. Yes you will laugh at different places. Especially Allen's typical paranoid anti-semitic spiel. And see him sissily destroy a thug's lime green car with a crow bar was good fun.

I didn't like Biggs in the film. He's not interesting to watch. To me he wasn't even the atrocious Allen clone (like Kenneth Branaugh)as has been reported. He and Ricci had zero chemistry. Maybe that was the point.

Stockard Channing seemed to serve no purpose to the story. Her inclusion is a mystery to me.

Ricci was very talky which is to be expected in this type of picture. Don't think it really works for her style.

Danny DeVito was great as the agent. His part is small. I thought Biggs was best around DeVito. Makes me wonder how much more of an interesting story Allen could have made if it was focused on these two.

To me this movie felt like a copy of an Ed Burns movie that copied a Woody Allen movie. Truly sad. If you are a hard core Allen fan like I am, see it by all means. But this movie wont win too many new fans. I'm somehow confident that someday Woody will turn out one last truly great film to cap off a most impressive body of work.

In the walking out of a movie thread I already mentioned 9 out of 13 people left before the end. This movie even with the Allen-less marketing is DOA. Friday it pulled in around $600,000 apparently.