What's new

*** Official "ANTWONE FISHER" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Tonight, I had the good fortune to catch a sneak preview of ANTWONE FISHER at our local military theater. It's the Denzel Washington-directed biopic about a troubled and angry young black man who joins the Navy in order to make a better life for himself. As a baby, his mother gave him up, and Antwone spent his childhood in an abusive foster care situation. As we get to know the young man, we see flashbacks of his life, and the things he lived through that kept him angry and in need of help. Denzel plays the Navy psychiatrist who works with Antwone. His role is good, but it is definitely Derek Luke's portrayal as the Navy seaman that gives the film its heart and soul. There is a sweet romance with a female sailor who becomes his ally in his search for his roots, and the climatic scene where his search for his family comes to its conclusion brought me, my wife, and most of the audience to tears. This is a really good movie, maybe not great, but an excellent story that is well-told. The fact that the real Antwone Fisher himself wrote and co-produced the film lends quite a bit to the credibility of the story. I enjoyed it very much, and recommend it highly.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
I saw this film too and I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. There is nothing extraordinary about the plot, but a very well told, heartfelt story with excellent performances and solid direction. As you said, the young actors are very impressive, and the romantic scenes for example come off as very genuine and not contrived as they tend to be in similar situations. The film was very good without being extra special but it's one of those pieces of work you just sit back and enjoy (not unlike the Straight Story). That last scene was indeed quite a memorable one, if that doesn't put at least a lump in your throat I'll be surprised :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Antwone Fisher". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.
Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This film is excellent and it is one of those films that will really move you emotionally. I don't tear up much when watching movies, but with this film I had more than a few tears coming out of my eyes. It's basically a story of a man trying to find out his own identity while coming to grips with his tragic past in order for him to move forward in his life. Denzel Washington's directorial debut is a great success with him getting several good performances out of the cast including the lead actor Derek Luke. I will definitely be seeing this film again during it's theatrical run.

Crawdaddy

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
The real life story of Antwone Fisher is already moving that all that needs to be done is for it to be translated honestly onto film with capable actors, a competent director, and a good screenplay with very little embellishments for dramatic effect. The film succeeds in doing just that and more. Understandably, certain characters were added and some names have been changed to move the story forward.
Derek Luke, in the title role, gives one of this year’s memorable debut and breakthrough performances. Denzel Washington’s first directorial effort is very much skilled and assured and follows the accomplishments of other actors-turned-directors before him (i.e. Mel Gibson, Sydney Pollack and Kevin Costner, to name a few).
Antwone Fisher’s story of an abused child who grew up without anyone to call his own mother and father serves as a role model to many who in the end overcomes adversity in the hope to break the cycle of abuse and live a normal adult life.
With a lot of firsts involved in the production it achieves the end results very few first films ever attain. Antwone Fisher, as a film, is an accomplishment and a celebration of life for its story.
~Edwin

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Very good film as it hits on many themes of identity and how your environment impacts who you are, and shows that hurdles can be overcome regardless of environment with a strong will and determination, and with a little help from your friends.

I give it a 3.75 stars, or a grade of A-.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks