*** Official ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND OF RON BURGUNDY Discussion Thread

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
My wife and I saw Anchorman yesterday. We both were laughing through most all of the movie. It's one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. Laughed much more during this film than Dodgeball.

I was dying when Baxter talked the bears out of attacking. I think this will be a must have DVD when it's released.

Marc Bax

Second Unit
Reaction score
I can't even see the comparison Anchorman crushes Dodgeball (which I liked). "There were horses, a guy was on fire, and I killed a man with a trident". Nuff said.

Marc Bax

Second Unit
Reaction score
What?! Not Enough?! Well then how about, "that escalated really fast", "that's how I roll", & "I'm in a glass case of emotion". All much more memorable moments than anything in Dodgeball (there must be 10 more I as well). The big thing with Anchorman is that you didn't see them coming, as in Dodgeball all the real memorable moments "you can dodge a wrench..." were pretty much ruined in the previews. The pure genius of Anchorman is that they made previews that still made you want to see it with pretty much throw away clips. I cannot wait for the DVD and "Wake Up, Ron Burgundy" it'll surely be a riot.

WillG

Lead Actor
Reaction score
I saw Anchorman yesterday. I have to say, I did not think it was all that great. It seemed to take a long time for anything significantly funny to happen. There were actually a couple of walkouts in the theater I saw it in.

Not that it did not have some funny moments. I liked Will crying in the phonebooth after the Baxter incident. The newscast end credits "business chat" was good as well. I had a chuckle during the prank calls being made to Corningstone. The newsteams battle was fun, but it definately had cameo-itis.

Maybe if I watch it again with friends it will play a little better for me.

Moore Maxx

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
If you like the film I would suggest checking out the soundtrack.

Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrell) introduces each song and even cries through one. Great addition to the film.

As Ron says while eating steak and waffles in the bathtub........"Now that's good waffle"

JohnS

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
John Steffens

Very, very funny movie.
I agree it took about 10-15 minutes to get the film going.
Loved the cameos.
and most favorite scenes are with Brick and his nonsense.
But I also liked the prank phone calls to Veronica, especialy the pregnancy one.

Well, there should be one scene on the delted section of the DVD, since it was on the TV ads and NOT in the movie.

It's when Will throws Applegate onto a table, and says "Lets make a baby!"

NickSo

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Nick So
YEAH, i was totally looking forward to 'LETS MAKE A BABY!!!'

Crazy funny movie... well worth my money, and i rarely go to theaters, esp for a comedy (i go to big blockbusters, like Spider-man 2).

Brick was awesome
"I burnt my tongue"
"Did you guys see me kill that guy with a trident?"
"I ate a big red candle"
*Screaming in the fight while holding hand grenade out at arms length*

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Reaction score

Marc Bax

Second Unit
Reaction score
From IMDB "Adam McKay has said that in the first draft of the script, the story was about a planeload of news anchors who crash in the mountains and discover that the plane which they collided was carrying monkeys and martial arts equipment, leading to a battle between cannibalistic newsmen and star-throwing monkeys"... LOL, I loved Anchorman but now I want to see THAT movie too.

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor
Reaction score
I was almost one of them. The script is mostly awful and the presentation of the story is about as awkward as a film gets. Zero laughs for the first 10 minutes at my fairly decent audience.

Carrel does steal the show, the dude is mega-funny. As I said in my review in the 2004 thread, its the 2nd time he's done that in the last year (Bruce Almighty).

I loved the characters and it seems like the truly funny stuff comes from riffing rather than writing. When the guys are allowed to just be those characters they are pretty good, especially Ferrell, Carrel and Applegate.

It goes in every direction, sometimes hitting, sometimes missing badly. Or as Scott said it, its sloppy.

I ended up feeling that, like Old School, there was actually a much better film in there that the writing and/or direction failed to capture. This felt more like the initial idea-session put to film than it did a finished comedic script.

Aren

Auditioning
Reaction score
I forgot to post my review on this message board. Here it is.

MINOR SPOILERS

Will Ferrell could easily become the funniest man to hit the big screen ever. Will Ferrell is at the stage of his career where you can just give me a line and he’ll make it sound funny. Will Ferrell continues to improve every time he takes on the lead role, and Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy was no exception.

It’s 1976 and you’re the #1 network news anchor in San Diego. You flip on the TV to a loveable, proud, and dare I say, perfect anchorman? But off camera, he’s a stuck-up, peculiar, jerky man named Ron Burgundy and he’s got personality that’ll have you laughing hours on end.

The station manager, Ed Harkin (Fred Willard) has to be put up with a loudmouth, sexist group of men consisting of sportscaster Champ Kind (David Koechner), a ladies man in Brain Fantana (Paul Rudd), mentally challenged weatherman, Brick Tamland (Steve Carrell) , and of course, the leader of the group, the man himself, Ron Burgundy (Will Ferell). Problems arose when a beautiful woman, Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate) is brought in for diversity and the gang notices she becomes a nuisance at the news station.

The plot consists of problems in the life of Ron, but it started off with joy as Ron and Veronica went to pleasure town. With fame, however, come problems. Ron angers a biker which makes the biker harm Ron’s “miniature Buddha covered in hair” which results in Burgundy being late for his job. This resulted in Veronica Corningstone filling in for Burgundy which results in a boost in ratings. Ron’s life falls apart as he looses his job only to reunite with his fellow workers in the end. With a movie like this, all that matters is the how many laughs the movie can get from the audience, and if there was a meter counting them it would go through the roof!

The film is quotable gold. I have never heard so many one-liners in a movie, nor seen so many scenes that consisted of just flat-out goofy humor. The film tries to make sure Will Ferrell gets as much as the jokes in, but Steve Carrell was brilliant with his absurd comments throughout the film. He almost stole the movie, but Will Fearrell just had it going. Will Ferrell really catches the anchorman charm of many of the 1970s celebrities before on TV before cable. Some of the scenes were just idiotic that resulted in a cheap laugh. The news station battle royal with every weapon imaginable that took place in an alley had gold written all over it. The cameos, however, were hit-and-miss.

Despite a flawed plot, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy pulls through with it’s hilarious, over-the-top humor. Will Ferrell continues to shine as a comedic star and Christina Applegate wasn’t as funny as she was in her role in Married With Children, but the rest of the cast made-up for her dull jokes.

Story: C-
Acting: A
Visuals: B+
Cinematography: A
Overall: B (Not an average)

Edit: Sorry for not mention that I includes some minor spoilers.

ZacharyTait

Cinematographer
Reaction score
I just watched this and thought it was hilarious. The special cameos were golden.

Christinia Applegate was delicious looking. I was hoping for some ass shots of her in Ron's fantasy about the two of them.

For the Freaks and Geeks fans, did you notice Mr. Rosso in the background of the professionial dinner with Veronica and Ron? Cool, considering that one of the producers is none other than Judd Apatow!

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
Reaction score
As my wife and I were watching Ron Burgundy Last night, we noticed something and through all our extensive searching can not think/remember what other movie this guy was in....

when paul rudd put on his panther cologne, and the guy wlaked past him and said something like that smelled like a turd covered in burning hair or something, whatever.

what his name

he was in in another movie where he talked about poop and a poop mouth or something.
sound familiar. i guess more importantly whats his name!

thanks guys

Alex F

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Man, I'm very happy to see that so many people loved this movie here, because I thought it was one of the funniest comedies I've seen perhaps since Dumb & Dumber (and Pulp Fiction, I guess). I saw one outtake of this movie which occurs in the scene where Ron explains the English translation of San Diego (which in German, means *whale's vagina*) where he can't deliver the line without cracking up. He says "ohhhh this is the most ridiculous shit I've ever heard." ain't it the truth!!

Jack Black's cameo is golden.

JB: What the hell, man? Did you just throw a BURRITO out of your car? ARE YOU HIGH OR SOMETHIN!? What do you love?
Ron: I love poetry. And a GLASS OF SCOTCH!

the delivery is just brilliant. For me, this movie is MUCH MUCH more memorable than Dodgeball (while that was a funny movie, it just can't compare).

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
The guy your thinking of is on SNL. Chris Parnel, that's probably where you saw him. The poopyline was actually in anchorman.

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
Reaction score
I just listened to the commentary again. Funny stuff. I actually think "Wake Up, Ron Burgundy" is funnier than the main movie.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgasingh307