*** Official AMERICAN WEDDING Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Doug Miller, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    Just got back from a virtually empty showing of American Wedding. (Is it just me, or did this movie have next to no ad campaign? I mean, I saw ads, but not to the level of the first two.)

Overall, the movie was filled with the expected gross out humor and big misunderstandings. That being said, I thought the movie still fell flat overall. American Wedding felt almost like a parody of the first two Pies. I read an interview with the director saying how "This one is more thoughtful than the last, yada yada." but it came off feeling way more hollow than #2.

(Before I get into too much of a rant or anything, let me just say that I love both Pies, I thought they were a load of fun. I thought the humor was over the top and loved every minute of it. Deep down, I still felt like the first two Pies were about relationships -- this one just didn't work.)

Back to the parody for a second -- Stiffler's character was over the top with his giggling and scripted f-yous. Sh!Tbreak who had all this "growth" of person in the second film was back to the unsure and weak kid from high school. Kevin was an afterthought. Jim was his normal self. None of the girls returning (with exception of Hannigan, whose character was downplayed to a bit part) and no Oz. Not a big surprise on the lack of return cast members (they probably read the script and weren't offered enough money) but they didn't even explain what happened to them or where they were!! Only one cameo at the end, that I won't spoil here.

Everything about this movie felt forced. Did I laugh? Sure, I still got a kick out of parts of it, but this isn't a "BUY" on DVD. American Wedding didn't have the charm of the first two (no, I'm not calling the first two American classics or anything. [​IMG]) and to be honest, I think I'll just pretend this one didn't happen. (Maybe there was a reason they didn't call it American Pie 3: American Wedding... because it just didn't belong.)

Doug

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "American Wedding". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Reminder: This is the REVIEW thread. If you want to comment on someone's review or respond to something in it, please do so in the Official Discussion Thread.

Posts that do not follow these guidelines will be (and have been) deleted.

M.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Oh my goodness, this was basically Stifler's movie, but there was plenty of bust-out laughs in this movie, and I mean the knee-slapping variety laughs in spots. Treat it as a series of gags, and it's a fun movie-going experience. Be warned, there's lots of sophomoric humor on display.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

5. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I found American Wedding to be pretty damn funny....it had me and the audience I was with laughing throughout. However, it does suffer a little by the missing characters and the fact that there is no explanation why they aren't present at Jim's wedding.

All in all, I think it's a worthy sequel....I'll buy the DVD. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. JonathonSan

JonathonSan Stunt Coordinator

I thought this movie was funny as hell. Many way over the top funny scenarios that had myself and the rest of the crowd cracking up for most of the movie. Funnier than one or two, but not quite as good a movie overall. Highly Recommended to those who liked the first two. Stifler Rocks.

JonathonSan

7. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

I hate all of the boring missing characters, so I enjoyed this one. A good close to the trilogy.

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I liked the film a lot more than I liked AP2, but that's not saying to much. For the most part, I feel the writing team just threw as many jokes at the audience to guarantee a few hits and a lot of misses. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, considering there were some pretty good jokes...but it didn't make for the most structured movie.

Overall, a movie with some funny moments...but not a great film.

***/*****

9. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Saw it last night...and I just laughed my ass off the whole time...loved it...probably the best one...because all the characters that were boring werent there and all the ones I loved were...Sean William Scott needs his own...School for the art of being an ass...the man is a genius! It was a very fun and funny film and I just enjoyed the hell out of it...

9/10

10. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

I liked Wedding better than the second one, although again that isn't saying much. It's nowhere near as good as the first one though. Some of the jokes were great, but a lot of them fell flat. I agree with Matt Stone in that it did start approaching Airplane! territory at times with the filmmakers throwing so many gags at you in the hopes that a few of them would stick.

The main reason it's better than the second one is that they shed all the dead weight from the cast(and surprisingly, none of the missing characters other than Nadia are even mentioned) and they actually had a plot this time around. The last one felt like nothing more than a big reunion. This one also recaptured the heart that the first movie had but went missing in AP2.

Also, props to the filmmakers for FINALLY using the song "Laid" in the movie(even if it was a cover version). They've had it in every teaser and trailer for the American Pie flicks, but it's never shown up in the actual film til now.

[​IMG] [​IMG] 1/2 out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

A lot of laughs, a lot of fun, and that's all I was expecting. However, some of the scenes would've definitely worked better had I not seen them before in the previews. The missing cast from the first two movies didn't have any effect on the enjoyment of the movie, and it probably helped that they weren't in it. I didn't even think about them until the end credits had been rolling for a while. All in all, a fine show!

12. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

Every few years I have some unexplicable desire to see a sophomoric teenage sex romp, maybe because I saw Porky's at too young an age and it created a cinematic void that must be filled occasionally. This was what prompted me to see the first "Pie" film and I enjoyed it immensely. I watched the second film with some higher expectations and came away slightly disappointed but still amused.

It seems that the lesson they learned from the response to the second film was "pee and poo jokes, Jim's genitals, and sex with older relatives = good; developing the characters any further = bad". All of the characters are merely charicatures of their former selves. The worst example of this is Michelle. There was an opportunity here to take her character beyond the 'nympho band geek' that we've seen before, but it never really happens. They trimmed out a large portion of the cast and underwrote the remaining characters. Those of you expecting nothing more than a few gross-out jokes may be completely satisfied.

I laughed at Stiffler's dancing at the club, and I thought there was some promise in the 'Finch becomes Stiffler' bit (although that went nowhere). Otherwise this film is a disappointment. Lower your expectations before you walk into the theater.

Brad

13. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

American Wedding [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] out of 5

I really dug the first American Pie and had a surprisingly good time with Part 2...so why was I dreading this third installment so strongly? Perhaps it was the hiring of a director responsible the stunningly awful How High; perhaps it was because nearly half of the original cast members refused to sign on for a third go-round; most likely it was because...let's face it: how many Part 3s are worth a wet slap? Very few indeed. Surprise! This one is!

A friend I hadn't seen for a while called me up and invited me to go see American Wedding. Since it's basically the only movie out that I haven't seen yet (and yes that includes Gigli), I was glad to join him. See, my pal Mike loves the first two American Pie flicks. And since he's now married, has a baby, and works 60 hours a week for some massive corporation, we don't get to hang out much anymore.

So we picked up some drive-thru Value Meals from BK, enjoyed a little pre-movie "recreation" and plunked down our eight bucks for American Wedding. ("Watch it as a movie fan and not as a stuffy-ass movie critic," Mike muttered before the credits rolled, not realizing that they're essentially the same thing where I'm concerned.) After a relatively rocky opening act - a 15-minute intro that had me feeling pangs of "Oh lord this could really suck" - Mike and I laughed long, loudly and often at the onscreen lunacy.

And if a movie makes me laugh long, loudly and often...well damn, that's a good movie.

Sure, sure, this one's not much more than a third helping of the reliable old American Pie formula - but it's delivered with a surprising amount of wit and confidence. The actors have clearly grown comfortable with their respective characters, screenwriter Adam Herz has devised a real knack for well-timed and laugh-out-loud slapstick set-pieces, and the pervasive raunchiness is always tempered with a palpable sense of good-natured fun.

That American Wedding was better than I expected isn't that much of a shock; I'm wrong all the time. But what was fairly stunning was how frequently and effectively the gags had me laughing. And laugh-wise, I'm a fairly tough nut to crack. The plot covers the impending nuptials of Jim and Michelle, the bachelor party, the friends & families...and a whole lot of silly sex jokes.

If there's one guy who deserves the lion's share of the accolades, it's (once again) Seann William Scott as Steve Stifler. This guy's quite simply a force of nature - obnoxious, vulgar, hysterically funny nature. Scott steals all three American Pies whole, and these are movies with lots of funny people in 'em! When I first learned that Mena Suvari, Shannon Elizabeth, Tara Reid, Chris Klein and Natasha Lyonne would not be returning for the third flick my reaction was "Hmph. Interesting. Stifler's on board though...right??" And let's be fair: Lyonne had some slick moments in the original, while the others who went M.I.A. are easily expendable. Herz's screenplay takes the smart route by not trying to 'explain' what became of these characters. Just like in real life, friends lose touch. Let's instead focus on who IS still around.

Biggs and Hannigan strike a cute chemistry, Eugene Levy earns laughs via eyebrows alone, S.W. Scott delivers the goods in just about every scene he inhabits, Eddie Kaye Thomas (as Finch) gets some great schtick, and Thomas Ian Nicholas...well, I guess we'll see more of his Kevin in the DVD's deleted scenes. (He's a nice inclusion though given very little to do.) Newcomers Fred Willard (as Michelle's pop) and the luminous January Jones (as her little sis) capably add some new color to the proceedings.

But make no mistake: this flick is Stifler's Show all the way. And seeing how much nasty fun Sean Scott's clearly having (and sharing with the moviegoer), that's just fine by me.

American Wedding offers five or six "big moments" of inspired slapstick sexuality - and damn if not every single one earns big laughs. On paper, the idea of a "two guys caught screwing two dogs" or of "a pound of pubic hair destroying a wedding cake" may seem a bit sneer-worthy, but Herz and company have by now mastered their own particular style of artistic expression. Knowing how to frame a gag effectively is absolutely essential when creating a slapstick sex farce, and American Wedding does just that with alarming accuracy.

So here's a sequel that's not tired and lazy and generic, and one that actually TRIES to make you laugh by presenting old friends in disgusting new situations. As prepared as I was to yawn my way through American Wedding, I'm now very pleased to discover that I'm not just some 'stuffy-ass movie critic'. It may not be brilliant, but there's something to be said for a movie that quite simply delivers the laughs. Against all odds the American Pie series is now 3 for 3. Let's hope they all decide to quit while they're ahead.

14. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

I haven't seen the first two American Pie movies (I must be the only one), but I really enjoyed American Wedding. Not only was it really funny, but I was actually moved by the relationship between Jim and Michelle. Eugene Levy was great as the dad everyone wishes they had and Seann William Scott stole the show (and nearly made me throw up from laughter during the, um, "chocolate truffle" scene [​IMG]).

A strong [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I've seen both American Pie movies and while they are far from being comedic masterpieces, I enjoyed both films and laughed quite a bit.

That said, I saw "American Wedding" last night and it couldn't hold a candle to the first two films. This movie seemed like a series of SNL skits with such a loose framework that I was half expecting commericals between the skits. Thank goodness I didn't wear a watch or would have been looking at it constantly.

This doesn't mean that it's not a funny movie. I laughed quite a bit, but I could never get wrapped up in the movie due to the complete lack of any storyline.

Stiffler completely saved this movie from the Abyss. If it wasn't for his character this would have been a total turkey. I've never found the absurd stunts that Jim gets himself into very funny because they are simply situations that would not nor could not happen and that definitely carries over into this film. Comedy doesn't work for me unless it's based in reality and this film was far from being based in reality.

• How good Jim's dad not notice her under the table?
    • Stiffler simply appeared in a few scenes at the beginning as though he dropped out of the sky, why was this?
    • I've never seen a dance video at any Sporting Goods story
    • Why was the fan in the kitchen an inlet fan, and why was he throwing the pubes out the window?
    • Why would Stiffler eat the shit and not just walk away? I saw this coming a mile away.
    • How could Stiffler not know that was Grandma?
      [etc....]

I know that I'm probably being far too critical and should just shut up and laugh, but what's wrong with having good comedy that takes place in reality and follows a structured story line. Other than the Coen films, I can't think of a single one in the last 10 years.

Overall, I felt this comedy was aimed at the lowest common denominator.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

And movies like 'Animal House', 'Old School' and 'Van Wilder' are not?[​IMG] As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't have it any other way. Just sit back and enjoy...don't think about it- that's not what they're for. [​IMG]