What's new

*** Official "AMERICAN OUTLAWS" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
YeeeHawww!!!! Just won 4 passes to the screening of American Outlaws on this Tues. Aug.14th !!!!
from my local radio station.
After seeing it, I will post my thoughts on it.
From the trailers, should be darn good if you like westerns.
Until then partner,
Troy

Mitty

Supporting Actor
From the trailers, should be darn good if you like westerns.
You mean if you like neo-hipster westerns, Hollywood's young and pretty playing cowboy dress up.
I don't hold much hope for this one, but I'll look forward to your thoughts, my enthusiastic man. :)

Todd_B

Second Unit
Every time I see the trailor for this one, I keep thinking that the 'Regulators' could take this gang w/o breaking a sweat.
biggrin.gif

I'll most likely be renting this one.
Todd B
------------------
My Disks

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
I saw the trailer for this prior to watching "Legally Blonde". During the moment of silence between the trailer and the movie I mentioned to my friend that I saw this when it was called "Young Guns". This got a better response than any scene in the movie that followed.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Personally, all I could think after I saw the trailer for this was, "...here we go, MTV does a western". That's the way this one looks to me.
Could be wrong but, it looks like this movie is going to be to westerns what "A Knights Tale" is to medival (sp?) age movies.
Real westerns to me are "The Outlaw Josie Wales", "High Plains Drifter", "Good Bad Ugly", ect.
Serious actors, serious stories, not a bunch of pretty boy models with some dirt on their faces, playing cowboy.
Still...let us know how the movie is.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Looks about a Western as Wild Wild West.
I'll be in line for this one right after I see Bubble Boy.
------------------

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Uhhh......so boys I take it you guys don't a lika thisa filma ..Eh?
biggrin.gif
icon13.gif

Hey at least it's FREE!!

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
You're right Troy, when it's free, who can complain! :)
That's about the only thing I miss about my ex-wife. She managed the local movie theater. Free movies, all the time.
In fact, I'd rate the movies I saw one of two ways,
1)"...hell, I would've paid to see that movie".
2)"...damn glad that one was free".
laugh.gif

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Well, fellas, told ya I'd be back to give ya my two cents pardner.
Went and saw free screening of American Outlaws last night and I must say that I really enjoyed this western immensely. I didn't take it too serious because you can't.
If you're a fan of the "young guns" type western, then this one will be right up your alley. Just go in expecting a western and you will enjoy it. From the opening fight sequence with the blue coats fighting the James yunger gang and his band of rowdies I was sucked in from that point on.
Awesome sound of six shooters firing throughout the movie,
canons firing, explosions all around ya. This should make for some real nice ear candy for the ole home theater while it get's a workout with this soundtrack. I'm here to tell ya.
Well, there you have it. Definately not a professional review by any means, but gives you some idea if you may or may not like this movie. If you go in expecting an unforgiven , you will be disappointed. But if you like the western genre at all, you should like this movie.
Regards
Troy

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Here is a quote from James Berardinelli's review:
For the most part, the deliberate humor is too dumb to be funny. The dialogue offers one howler after another, such as "If you mess up because you don't want to listen to a woman, then damn you all!" or "We'll teach these thugs what happens when they challenge the righteousness of progress!" Characterization is non-existent, action is banal, and, on one occasion Trevor Rabin's "traditional" score suddenly collapses into a blues/rock number. Maybe the filmmakers were inspired by A Knight's Tale. Somewhere out there, there may be a motion picture to resuscitate the Western; this isn't it.
American Outlaws is guilty of a crime against cinema and those who pay money to see it.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Knowing how my tastes run compared to Berardinelli's, this is good news... :)
------------------
"If we blow up, whatever's left of me is kickin' your butt."

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Sorry man, but...I just can't pull away from comparing westerns to The Outlaw Josie Wales; which, IMHO, was THE best western ever.
I get the feeling American Outlaws can't even compare.
------------------
"...it is an excellent day for an exorcism".

Hubert

Second Unit
Well, it looks like Hollywood has found another genre to market to the teenie boppers. I'm not going to be into this one. I can't stand the teenie bopper movies. But congrats on the free passes and I hope you enjoy it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "American Outlaws". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread
All HTF member film reviews of "American Outlaws" should be posted to this thread .
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy
------------------
[Edited last by Robert Crawford on August 16, 2001 at 05:41 PM]

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
As of this writing, with 26 reviews quoted over at Rotten Tomatoes with an overall reading of 12%, there's a pretty good chance that I'll be skipping this one.
wink.gif

~Edwin

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I was right! I went in expecting suckage, but was actually entertained. Sure there were some groaners in the dialogue, and nobody's gonna be up for an acting Oscar for this one, but it was a relatively pleasant way to pass the time. Ali Larter sure is nice to look at. :)
I will give big props to them frontier dentists, tho. They apparently did amazing work.
wink.gif

------------------
"If we blow up, whatever's left of me is kickin' your butt."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks