What's new

*** Official ALIEN VS. PREDATOR Review Thread (2 Viewers)

Diallo B

Screenwriter
this movie was so bad it was unintentionally funny. i laughed all the way through. it was not a complete waste of time as the movie had a great premise. but it was executed very poorly. sanaa lathan, the female lead, did actually do a good job. i blame anderson the most for this pos.

the pg-13 rating hurt it bad. alien was r. predator was r. this should have been r.

not an absolute turd like catwoman. but not too far away either. but the efx were 100 times better.

Colton

Supporting Actor
It should have been called "Predator 3" because they got the most spotlight and throughout the whole movie you just felt that the Aliens and humans were merely an obstacle.

Not the worst movie, but definately could have been alot better.

D+

- Colton

JimmyT

Stunt Coordinator
I thought this movie was pretty good and I really was expecting the absolute worst. However there were quite a few things that bothered me about it.

The tone was completely different than any of the previous Alien or Predator movies. It was too lighthearted and at times reminded me of films like Stargate (which it shared many other traits with).

The timeline of the Alien lifecycle (from laying the eggs to the full grown warriors) was sped up to minutes/hours instead of taking days. I know this was done to advance the story, but I would've rather had the story take place over a longer period of time instead of changing what has become accepted as "movie fact"

The Predators were too bulky/cumbersome and reminded me of Star Trek Klingons. (Steve - I saw your post above and agree with your explanation, but I still think they could've been slimmed down a bit.)

The Predators weren't as skilled at hunting as previous Predators. The 3 Predators should've been able to take care of the roomful of humans quickly and easily (I'm not saying this situation should've happened on the screen, but just making a point). The lone Predator in the first movie was able to take out a heavily armed special forces team (with the exception of Arnold).

Except for Alexa Woods, the characters weren't developed enough to care about them when they died.

The pyramid was too complicated. As it reconfigured the rooms and passageways, it reminded me of the house in 13 Ghosts.

Too many "tributes" to other movies. For example, the running Alien Queen was very reminiscent of the T-Rex in Jurassic Park or the "1998" Godzilla. The list could go on and may be an interesting thread topic in itself.

I'm sure you can say I'm nit-picking (or judging from many of the posts - I'm being too kind), but overall I did enjoy this movie. I probably won't buy it on DVD, but for me it worked fine as a movie theater experience.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

I get out enough to realize this was going to be nothing more than a glorified B-flick, of which it lived up to (and in many instances, exceded) my expectations. Not every movie is going to be an end-all or be-all classic, but that's not to say they're not fun. :)

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
I just saw this yesterday, and after all the negative comments,went in expecting a not so great film. I loved it. say what you will, I thought they did a really good job. Could it have been better? sure. But I had an enjoyable time, the scene with the alien queen.. awesome. 4 out of 5 for me. :)

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor

The one thing this film was missing, in my opinion, was a sense of humor. If you're going to make a prototypical monster-versus-monster flick, it needs two things that this film was lacking: 1) one more knock-down drag-out epic monster battle, and 2) many more tongue-in-cheek moments.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
A few things about the film:

*Steroid abuse has run rampant on Predator homeworld. My god, do they have to be 10' tall and 8' across?
*Aliens now hatch in five minutes instead of several hours
*If I were a 10' tall rastafarian lobster-monster. i wouldn't work with the humans. I would kill them and collect their skulls.
*Humans couldn't even come up with new catchphrase for how ugly aliens are. Just a recycled "One ugly motherf**ker".

That being said:

*The CGI was very good. At not time did anything look superimposed over bluescreen. This is some of the best monster-movie CGI since Starship Troopers (In contrast the trailer for Resident Evil: Apocalypse had people getting in gun battles with monsters that were of such piss-poor CGI they looked like claymation).

In summary:

Its a movie titled Alien vs. Predator. I never expected it to be good.

2/5 (aka. bad movie):thumbsdown:

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
What a huge Alien turd this was! Or is that Predator Dump!

Anyway all i can say is if people seriously enjoyed this i fear for the future of movies this movie would have been fine and cheap thrill entertainment had it not involved two fan favorite creatures that are now nothing but a joke. We should demand more and ask for the head of Paul Anderson!!! There were parts that I chuckled parts where I laughed but mostly I groaned. It's just sad really. Kudos to Lance Henriksen for trying to class up this POS. I laughed at his characters final line spoken! Lol."Don't turn your back on me!!!" Flaming Predator turns and skewers lol.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
A little 'Predator 101' before I submit my review, I have to warn you, i'm about to go a little comic book geeky on you. ;)

Predator's, otherwise known as 'Yautja' are very respectful of the quarry they hunt, therfore they wouldn't mindlessly kill anyone they come accross and collect the skull, only the 'bad bloods', or criminal element on their world would do that.

I've even suspected for awhile that the Yautja featured in the first film was an exiled bad blood simply because it killed most of Dutch's men from afar, used it's plasma caster (shoulder cannon) excessively AND while cloaked, any other self respecting and experienced Yautja would never exibit such disrespect for it's quarry.

This would also account for the unusually weathered look of it's weaponry, they're the only weapon's it was allowed to keep. It was just on a kill crazy rampage, afterall, it's all it really COULD do until it's battery pack ran out of juice and could no longer power it's computer gauntlet which controls cloaking, self destruct and the plasma caster.

Also, the Preds in this film are young and on their first real hunt, it's their 'blooding-in' right of passage on display here, which would account for their lack of experience. The presance of the 'Scar' Yautja is that of supervision, to oversee the hunt. I cannot account for their size at such a young age, except to say that not all is known about the different clans of Yautja, perhaps the clan they come from condones such practices as artificial muscle enhancements. I can't imagine so, but perhaps.

As was mentioned, the Yautja typically will equip themselves for whatever the chosen quarry is, in this case the Aliens, which is why they wore so much armour, Alien blood is MUCH more destructive than human blood. Also, they were not after the humans as primary targets.

I realize that my above statements qualify for the discussion thread, but I felt that if people knew a little background on the Yautja culture, it may help them enjoy the film a little more.

Now, I did like the film, I didn't love it. I would have loved a film on par with either Predator or Alien, but that wasn't likely to happen, so I had to lower my expectations for it, which worked for the most part.

Yes, the humans weren't that interesting, but they were servicable enough for the story. Lance Henrickson, as much as I hate to say it, deserved what he got, I mean if a Yautja allows you to live, its better to just stand aside, shut your trap and be thankful, what he did was just plain stupid.

I also appreciated the fact that this film had a different look than either Predator or Alien, it set it apart and I liked that.

The battles between the two creatures were exciting enough to keep me interested, but I did have a problem with the fast camera moves, I couldn't really see what was happening sometimes during the fight.

I also HATE the films tag-line "Whoever wins, we lose."

Predator's have absolutly zero interest in world-wide domination, that's just not what they care about at all. If the Yautja's win, they will simply continue to visit our planet from time to time, kill a few humans, and then leave quietly. Our world is in no danger of being invaded by Predator's in huge spaceships via 'Independance Day'. They are not an infesting species like the Aliens are. That tag line is just silly.

Now, the one thing everyone seems to hate in this film is when the scar Predator teams up with the woman to fight the Alien's
their is truth in that.

In the comics, the Yautja have been known to accept another species as equals if they have proven themselves worthy in a fight
. This is considered a criminal act on their homeworld, but it is not really enforced. Most of the older Yautja, or 'Ancients and Elder's', look upon this practice as being highly eccentric rather than criminal. So I totally bought into it.

I've also read elsewhere that people had a problem with the Preds using their cloaking too much, even when they've already been spotted. I didn't have a problem with this because again, they were young and probably thought they looked cool and more intimidating when cloaked, afterall, we are talking about teenage Preds here.

Overall, I give the film :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:'s out of ten. Looking foreward to the dvd as well.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I thought it was OK nothing more, it seemed like 13 ghosts mixed with Aliens and Predators, seriously not sure what else you can do the resoning of the Predators Back history made sense

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I rather enjoyed it. Not near as bad as some are saying. A better film then Predator 2 or Alien 3. I'd rank on the same level as Alien 4. It cannot even come close to Alien, Aliens or Predator.

A great A/V presentaion. Acting is what I would have expected. A few more fight scenes between Aliens and Predators would have been nice. All-n-all I walked away pleased.

My only real grip was the last 5 seconds of the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks