What's new

***Official ALIEN Director's Cut Discussion and Review Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Sorry if someone already posted about this; couldn't find anything.

At any rate, this is almost too good to be true.

Kristoffer

Second Unit
I heard this would be a new Director's cut that will also be available in the new dvd box.
It seems a little odd since Scott has stated on numerous occasions that he is happy with the current cut???
What could they add, that would benefit the film??

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I didn't exist when it was released theatrically, so this would be pretty damn awsome if it opened wide.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Can't wait to see this on the big screen! I was around 5 when this came out, and wouldn't have seen it because it was rated R (right?)

Anyway, this is one of my all time favorites and would be great to see on the big screen!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Bryan,

This news just made my day...and it's already been a pretty good day. :D

This is great news and I'll be there opening night!

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I caught a theatrical screening of Alien here in NYC as part of a Ridley Scott retrospective back in Spring of 2001. The print, sadly, was in terrible shape. It'll be nice to see Fox strike up a new batch of high quality prints.

DJ

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
Shall I start the enternal debate for this original release? MEATBALLS VS ALIEN? Gentlemen.. and lady... were you forced to view MEATBALLS instead.. as I was? I finally have the opportunity to make up for a mistake in the Summer of '79. In other words...its on!

A.T.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

lol.
i still have parts of the Meatballs trailer imprinted on my lobes.
"It just doesn't matter..."
in fact, i've been thinking of picking up the dvd, JUST to get the trailer.

unlike you though, i did get to see Alien in '79.
warped my little 12 yo mind in the most magnificent way.

Rona Barrett says...'it's like a cross between Star Wars and The Exorcist!'.
and Famous Monsters has a pic of these wierd flowers that people sleep in...

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
If this is true AND it comes out wide enough to see it over this side of the atlantic I'll have conniptions, seeing this film on a big screen is one of the finer experiences in life. It's just somehow.. More everything.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I've never seen Alien on a big screen, though my many video viewings have cemented my opinion that it's the finest horror film ever produced. Script, design, photography, performance, music, atmosphere, pacing - all impeccable. What a treat it will be if this rumor pans out (and if it comes to the Uptown theater in Washington, D.C., down in my neck of the woods).

--Jefferson Morris

RafaelB

Second Unit
Jefferson,

ALIEN was already at the Uptown in the last 10 years or so. There was a series of Scope films that played there during the early 90s and they rotated a film each week (one week was Sound of Music, then Lawrence of Arabia, then Alien, etc.). It went on for almost amonth and it was way cool to see Alien on the big screen. :D

Now to watch it again...

Rafael

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Rafael,

Glad to hear from another local who fondly remembers that glorious summer of widescreen revival classics at the Uptown (summer of 1991 as I recall).

Just to drive everyone who wasn't there nuts: the festival also included Blade Runner, West Side Story, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and Ben-Hur - all on a wraparound screen 68' wide and 26' feet high. Unfortunately I was back at college in Williamsburg when Alien played. My priorities were all wrong back then.

--Jefferson Morris

P.S. Rumor had it that the revival was sparked by the dismal box office failure of the Julia Roberts movie Dying Young. The theater owners just decided the current films at the time weren't worth showing.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Rumor had it that the revival was sparked by the dismal box office failure of the Julia Roberts movie Dying Young. The theater owners just decided the current films at the time weren't worth showing.
According to IMDB, "Dying Young" made $33 million. That'd be what, about $50 million these days? No, it's not a lot of money, but I wouldn't call it a "dismal box office" failure. IIRC, it was a disappointment since Julia Roberts was so popular at the time - the lousy "Sleeping With the Enemy" nabbed more than $100 million basically because of her - but it's not genuinely atrocious.

The $5 million gross of "Mary Reilly"? Now THAT'S atrocious!

John^Lal

Stunt Coordinator
What could they add, that would benefit the film??
i thought ridley scott said he didn't want a director's cut. he has yet to change his initial decisions as to what should be seen in his films. he shows only deleted scenes on DVDs but not releasing a director's cut except blade runner because of obvious reasons. i don't know why he would put those scenes in now. especially since i agree with him to not putting any or all of those scenes that were on the DVD. oh well, if he can make it better by changing something, alright, but i'd rather he not. (shotguns turning into walkie talkies *ahem*)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks