1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

*** Official AFTER THE SUNSET Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick Sun, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

There was no juice, no pizazz, to the film, it's directed rather lazily, and the cat-n-mouse games between Brosnan's and Harrelson's characters didn't really engage me fully as a viewer. Similar in theme, "The Thomas Crown Affair" was a much more entertaining film than "After the Sunset".

I never really bought into the chemistry between the Brosnan and Hayek characters, and the female Jamaican cop character was a caricature as well.

Sure, there are some fun bits here and there (male bonding between thief and FBI agent), but they don't add up to a satisfying macro storyline.

I give it 2.5 stars or a grade of C+.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "After the Sunset". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

3. BennyD

BennyD Stunt Coordinator

Saw this movie this weekend with my Mom and Girlfriend. They loved it. I thought it was just alright. The best way I can think to describe the movie is: a chick flick disguised as a heist film. I came out of the film feeling like I had been tricked with images of Salma in a bikini and the heist aspect. However, is being tricked by pictures of Salma in a bikini a bad thing? [​IMG]

Overall though, a decent way to spend two hours but don't expect to come away with anything more than that. I had completely forgot that I even saw it until I was reading through htf today.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Tim Schwalk

Tim Schwalk Extra

Who doesn’t enjoy a good Heist film? There’s just something about a movie where the audience is drawn into cheering for the “bad guys” and hoping they are able to get away with the crime. Maybe a part of us wants to see them outsmart the police. Maybe a part of us wants to see the tools and technology they will use to perform the task. Mostly, I think we just want to be entertained.

In “After the Sunset”, Max and Lola (Pierce Brosnan and Salma Hayek) are two highly successful jewel thieves who have retired to a beautiful tropical island only to have their perfect lives interrupted by a visit from federal agent Stanley Lloyd (Woody Harrelson) who has been chasing them for years. Stanley tells them that he’s all too aware that the third Napoleon Diamond is aboard a cruise ship that just happens to be visiting their island. Max insists they are retired, but Stanley (and the audience) knows that a diamond heist is in order.

The stage is set for the perfect crime. Max will have to steal the diamond with his nemesis watching his every move, his girlfriend forbidding the heist (wanting only to get married,) and a local gangster (an underused Don Cheadle) begging Max to steal the diamond for him. I won’t spoil the way the predictable story unfolds, but I will comment on the pieces that make up the film.

The story really isn’t bad, but there are a few scenes that left me scratching my head. I swear an entire 10 minute scene was stuck into the movie just so the main characters can shoot a shark with a handgun. The tone and flow of the entire movie were thrown off until that ridiculous (though hilarious) segment was over. Then, there are other places where scenes appear to be missing. Federal agent Stanley Lloyd spends a lot of time flirting with a local police woman (Naomie Harris) who not only shows absolutely no interest in him, she even appears suspicious of him and doubts his motives. Then, out of nowhere, she seduces him like he is the love of her life. I immediately assume she is playing him and we will witness a brilliant twist where it will all begin to make sense… no such luck. I hope the dvd will contain scenes where their rocky relationship slowly turns into something more before they become “best friends.”

The movie toys with the audience hinting at a big twist ending through banter between Max and Stanley. I won’t comment on the twist or lack thereof, but I will say that the conclusion of the film lacks any real impact and mostly comes across as silly.

Performances are fine but the actors really had nothing to work with. Pierce Brosnan shows us nothing new in his part. Salma Hayek, however, shows us quite a bit. Literally. In fact, it seems that her only real role in the movie was to give it a jolt of sex appeal. Always in revealing clothing, she adds much more to the exciting visuals of the movie than she does to the plot or development of the characters and story.

Speaking of visuals, “After the Sunset” really is a beautiful movie. The island paradise, the underwater footage, everything really… it’s a visual treat. Director Brett Ratner has a great eye and made this film a lot of fun to look at. I just wish he had spent more time on the story and the pacing. This is easily Ratner’s weakest outing, and it’s a huge letdown following the excellent “Red Dragon”.

Not a terrible movie but definitely not a great one, “After the Sunset” is a fun but frankly stupid diversion that I only recommend if you are a fan of Ratner or of anyone else in the cast.

5. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I thoroughly enjoyed this.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Finally, I watched the dvd this morning, I liked this film. Listen, it's not great cinema by any stretch of the imagination, but I had a good time watching it. The film kept a smile on my face and it just wasn't because of Selma's body, however, I'm sure her presence in this movie didn't hurt.[​IMG] Also, I did laugh quite of bit.

Crawdaddy

7. DavidGT

DavidGT Stunt Coordinator

yup a nice simple film with great cinematography and video...can't go wrong.