*** Official "ADAPTATION" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Bob Movies, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

I saw Adaptation last night, and I thought it was absolutely hilarious. I loved Being John Malkovich, and this is just as strange and silly. I think it comes out on December 6, but I encourage everyone to see it.

Nicholas Cage is absolutely amazing, playing the twin brothers Charlie and Donald Kaufman. He is two completely different people, it's classic Cage. This is the Nicholas cage from "raising Arizona" The double effects are so good that you never for a second suspect that anything sneaky is going on. I was particularly impressed by the handheld footage that had both twins in it. It blew my mind.

Another classic film from Spike Jonze, I highly recommend it.

2. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

If you're going to talk about this film, you have to mention Charlie Kaufman's amazing screenplay. He has not only written the film but also it's critique. Stunningly original work.

3. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Being John Malkovich was one of my top films in 1999. I can't wait to see this collaboration again between Spike Jonze and Charlie Kaufman. I just wish it is just as offbeat, bizarre, eccentric, original and funny as BJM. It even has Meryl Streep. What more can anyone ask for? [​IMG]
    ~Edwin

4. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Being John Malkovich wasn't one of my top movies of 1999. I'm still looking forward to this one though. The trailer is one of the best I've seen this year.

Mark, you've seen the movie too?

~T

5. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Based on the trailer and the talent behind it, this one is definitely on my "must-see" list! It's good to hear positive things about it from those who got a sneak peek.

Rob

6. Mark Pfeiffer

7. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I think that it is amazing how much Adaptatin has in common with 8 1/2, not just plot wise but also creation-wise. That being said, I think that the movie will be amazing, and I am glad that Cage has gone away from his slam bam Bruickheimer productions, at least for now.

8. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

Does anyone know where this is playing in Houston TX? I've been looking forward to this since I saw the trailer in theaters. Looks like a solid cast and with Spike Jonze's direction, who knows where this will go. I loved the trailer's uniqueness (Nic Cage plays 2 characters). It opens today Dec 8 and I have not been able to find showtimes for it yet. Can anyone help me with this.

~Kevin

9. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Unless you live in NY, LA or Toronto, where it opened today, you'll have to wait a few more days/weeks to get it elsewhere.

~Edwin

10. Mark Pfeiffer

Seems like Columbia is playing it coy with Adaptation. I don't know when it's opening here, and I saw the thing a month ago!

Great film that is probably going to polarize viewers. Kaufman's three for three (including the slighter but still good Human Nature). Looking forward to Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.

11. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

And what's the catchy song in the trailer? I'm head over heels for it. It sounds like Queen. Anyone know who does it?

12. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

That would be David Bowie doing his little ditty "Under Pressure", with a little help from Queen. [​IMG]
    Jason

13. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Under Pressure is on the Queen album, "Hot Space" with David Bowie joining them as Jason said.
    You can also get it by picking up one of the Queen's Greatest Hits, including the original Greatest Hits that came out in 1981. As far as Classic Queen and the other zillion million hits mixes that came out after Wayne's World made them big again, you'll have to investigate that yourself. I have the albums so I didn't get any of the new hit mixes. [​IMG]
    Adaptation and Dangerous Mind are my 2 most anticipated films of the season...oh, right after that little indy flick from New Zealand by that Jackson dude. [​IMG]

14. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

It's being released in NY and LA to be eligible for Oscar (tm) consideration. It will probably open elsewhere after the 1st.

15. Lowell_B

Lowell_B Second Unit

16. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

17. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Edwin,
    Make sure you book it into theatres here in Coral Springs. [​IMG]
    From Reuters 11/8/02:
    In the limited-release arena, the offbeat Nicolas Cage-Meryl Streep comedy "Adaptation" opened promisingly with $400,000 from seven theaters in New York, Los Angeles and Toronto. The film expands to 100 locations on Dec. 20 and over 600 on Jan. 10. It was released by Columbia Pictures, a unit of Sony Corp.

18. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

I saw this Saturday evening in midtown Manhattan; the theatre wasn't 100% sold-out, but fairly close.
    I agree with Mark above -- you're either going to love it to death and tout its brilliance (as I do), or you're going to lambaste its narcissistic self-indulgence with passionate distaste. I'll add that the audience gave a strong applause (tho not a standing O) at the end.
    I found the film fascinating and brilliant on many levels. I missed Kaufman's Human Nature, but I did see Being John Malkovich, so I did get more out of the film than perhaps those less versed in Kaufman's style.
    The quality of acting is incredible from nearly everybody involved. I hope to see nominations for Cage, Streep, and even Chris Cooper. I also expect to see a nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay (which I think is the correct category it qualifies for), and even Best Editing and potentially Best Director. If the Academy actually recognizes it for those, then it has a chance to land a Best Picture nomination (see the Oscar thread for why I think this is possible).
    I give a short review in the 2002 Film list (see my sig for the link).

19. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Not that I'm trying to prove Mark wrong, but . . .

I didn't love it, and I didn't hate it. It has some great moments in the first hour and a half, and then falls apart completely in the last half hour, almost as if different filmmakers had taken over the project (and yes, I do realize that could be intended as yet another level of self-reference; I just don't think it works).

The net result, for me, was that I left the theater with too little enthusiasm -- positive or negative -- to write a review.

Which theater, Dana? The AMC or the Sony Lincoln Square?

M.

20. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

Michael,
    The AMC 25. They had the volume up LOUD, perhaps at or past reference (which is rare these days, it seems).
    Weird, I did not for one moment feel or perceive any such change in the film, though I did mention in my review that somewhere around the beginning of the last third the movie started to lag a bit in pacing, but it did pick up near the end.
    When I left I was thinking it was definitely good enough to be in my top 5; when I got home, I thought more about the movie, and felt it was better than anything else I had seen save Spirited Away, and in fact was as good in quality as that movie so I gave it 95% (9.5, or an effective 4-star out of 4 stars). And the more I think about it, the more I love it and want to see it again. When I do get that chance, I'll try to look for what you saw, but right now I don't see it.