What's new

Official Academy Awards Nominations 2010 Thread (Announced) (1 Viewer)

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben ">[/url][url=/forum/thread/297692/official-academy-awards-nominations-2010-thread-announced/240#post_3668394]
[/url]
Every year this happens. [b]Every damn year.[/b] Many more people pass away than can possibly be included, and everyone complains about the selection. This year, they selected

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by MielR

But three of the most recognizable actors in show business?

Once again: Ricardo Montalban received a tribute. It happened last year.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

Best ratings in 5 years:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=10044174
41.3 million watched Hurt Locker win Best Picture. Unless tickets cost less than 50 cents apiece, that's more people than actually watched Hurt Locker itself (gross around $21 M?) How bizarre.

I haven't watched THL yet myself, so can't really comment on its win. But much as I enjoyed Avatar, I can't say that it was truly "Best Picture" worthy. Then again, I didn't think Titanic was either. (And yes, I'm one of those appalled that SIL beat SPR.) Come to think of it, of BP nominees I've only watched Avatar, Up, District 9 and IB, so I have a long way to go

Was it just overseas feeds (or our feed in SG), or was Dougie Howser's singing just drowned out by the orchestra? I could barely ever make out his lyrics. And in the initial duologue, Baldwin's clapping would 'fup fup fup' into his mic, which was incredibly annoying. Whoever is setting up the mics and mixing the sound should take some lessons from hippie Swedish guy. Speaking of sound, I note Ben Burtt wasn't nominated. Has he been inactive or something? It must have been a while since he wasn't.

I thought Baldwin and Martin did a reasonable job; not as good as Billy Crystal, but who has ever been that good? As for the pre-show stuff, ugh, as observed previously Kathy Ireland was dreadful. And she looked odd too, she must already be visiting Dr 90210 or something. Or her hairdresser botched up badly.

I too also thought it was rather a shame that the 'other' winners get drowned out so quickly. Is it in fact a rule that only one of a group of winners gets to speak? That seems a shame for those winners; I noticed at least one pair where the first speaker kept his remarks very short, obviously to allow the other a chance to say something personally, but the orchestra ruthlessly blared when the first ended, and the mic was off too since the second wasn't just drowned out, he wasn't heard at all. As an aside, based on the one-speaker rule, shouldn't the "Kanye-incident" have been drowned out as well? I don't know anything about the dispute other than that reported in the Telegraph article whose link was posted earlier, but hey, if that's the rule...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MielR

Plus- the fact that Farrah died on the same day as MJ, and they deliberately mentioned him but not her....? If it wasn't meant as a snub, it sure as heck seemed like one.
Not to knock her but I can see not acknowledging Farrah Fawcett because she was a TV star and not a movie star. Although the same basic thing could or should be said about Michael Jackson too.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Watching some of the media shows over the past couple years has pretty much made me decide to not even bother watching next year. I find it rather sad about the complaints being level against the show as countless writers (from U.S., Entertainment Weekly) seem to think that the Oscars are out of touch with reality and they feel that this award show should be a popularity contest. They all pretty much agreed that it's dumb to give Oscars to films like THL and PRECIOUS because no one cares about the films.

Various shows kept asking if the Oscars are out of touch with moviegoers but I think it has more to do with moviegoers being out of touch with quality movies.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
If you were to put the academy membership into two categories: those who create animated films and those who don't, wouldn't it work out to say 10% to 90%, or something like that? Just no way an animated films gets the top award.
The other obvious reason an animated film won't win: it doesn't "showcase" acting at all, just voice-acting, so the whole acting wing of the Academy would NEVER admit an animated film was better. (Avatar had a little of this problem too - it is too close to having CGI replacing acting.)

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott

If the writer is going to say THL won because of politics then a movie that pays tribute to the greatest generation should have walked away without any problem. If the older group doesn't like something ground breaking then they wouldn't have liked the LOTR trilogy. At least that's how I personally look at the article and his opinions.
I mostly got "small screen appeal" (because they're old, don't go out, and don't like new stuff) from the article, so that explains SIL. As for LOTR, I did the Gandalf joke to cover; but you also have to consider that although the first two were nominated only the last of the trilogy won, and that's partly to cover the trilogy as a whole, a sort of "make up" award that the Academy is known for. And some Academy members are old enough to remember when orcs roamed the earth.

Peter-PP

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Allen Hirsch

The other obvious reason an animated film won't win: it doesn't "showcase" acting at all, just voice-acting, so the whole acting wing of the Academy would NEVER admit an animated film was better. (Avatar had a little of this problem too - it is too close to having CGI replacing acting.)

Didn't Disney's own animated BEAUTY AND THE BEAST win Best Picture back in the 90s?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Peter-PP

Didn't Disney's own animated BEAUTY AND THE BEAST win Best Picture back in the 90s?
No, Peter. Just nominated (deservedly so, in my mind). Silence of the Lambs won Best Picture in 1991. B&tB did win the Golden Globe for Best Picture--Comemdy or Musical, however.

Peter-PP

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

No, Peter. Just nominated (deservedly so, in my mind). Silence of the Lambs won Best Picture in 1991. B&tB did win the Golden Globe for Best Picture--Comemdy or Musical, however.

Thanks! Now I do remember that. I think B&B was the first animated film ever to be nominated for BP (Oscar), wasn't it? My favorite animated Disney movie ever!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Walt Disney won a special Academy Award for Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs more than 70 years ago [SIZE= larger]when the film was "recognized as a significant screen innovation which has charmed millions and pioneered a great new entertainment field".

Snow White, sneered at as "Disney's Folly" before release, became the highest grossing film of the 1930's until Gone With the Wind was released in late 1939.

Oh and Avatar, sneered at as "Cameron's Folly" before release, became the highest grossing film[STOP IT STEVE!]

[/SIZE]

Claire Panke

Second Unit
I confess: I do watch the Oscars for the dresses. And the hair. And the funky thank-you's and odd moments that inevitably occur. Call me shallow - it's an industry media promo donacha know.

I say it every year but the Oscars are about film business and not film art. AS long as I remember that, I'm fine for most of the evening.

I saw THL when it came out in theaters. I think it's a very good (not great) movie and Kathryn Bigelow is an excellent director. I was delighted she won BD and wasn't terribly invested in which movie took BP. I saw all the films nominated in this category and although I was happy to see THL, IB and An Education all receive noms, I think the BP winner is mainly irrevlevant to the actual best film of any given year (there's no such thing IMO and the BP winner often mediocre or overblown or both). THL was a worthy winner of the editing and sound awards, although my fave soundscape design was the one created for Star trek.

On the plus side...

Jeff Bridges FINALLY won an Oscar. This alone made my week.

Michael Giacchino won for Up. I've liked his film music for several years - the scores for Pixar have been wonderful and witty. His music for UP was very good, as was his score for Star Trek.

Star Trek won an Oscar. That just seems totally cool. Irrelevant, but cool.

I was disappointed neither The White Ribbon nor A Prophet won BFL...no surprise there, AMPAS typically fails in this category.

PS: I will see THL again, although I doubt I will see Avatar again.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Claire Panke

Michael Giacchino won for Up. I've liked his film music for several years - the scores for Pixar have been wonderful and witty. His music for UP was very good, as was his score for Star Trek.
Giacchino's music for Lost is great. It's one of about two scores that I could actually recognize if I heard it played outside of the TV show it's featured on.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Farrah Fawcett was left out of the Oscar memorial tributes because she was better known as a TV star, it was disclosed yesterday

The former Charlie's Angels beauty was one of the biggest names to pass away last year and millions of fans around the world mourned her loss.

However, the producers of the Academy Awards on Sunday night neglected to add her list to a montage celebrating the movie industry's deaths of 2009.

Michael Jackson, Natasha Richardson, David Carradine and Brittany Murphy were among the stars featured.

Bruce Davis, executive director of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, said the former Charlie's Angels beauty, who died of cancer last year at the age of 62, didn't make the rundown of much-missed legends because she wasn't considered to be a big-screen actress.

He said: 'An unusual number of extremely distinguished screenwriters died this year... 'In every category, you're going to miss some wonderful people.

'There's nothing you can say to people, particularly to family members, within a day or two of the show that helps at all. 'They tend to be surprised and hurt, and we understand that and we're sorry for it.'

Fawcett died in June after a long battle with cancer.

She starred in more than a dozen movies during her career, including The Cannonball Run and Logan's Run.
Actress Tatum O'Neal, the daughter of Fawcett's long-time partner Ryan O'Neal, blasted the move. She said: 'We are deeply saddened that a truly beautiful and talented actress was not included.'

Laughable if it weren't such a horrendous gaff. Everyone - audience and viewers - realized it and questioned it instantly. You could literally hear the buzz in the audience. The woman made 19 films. Michael Jackson made one, unless one is inclined to be generous and stretch that to include his shorts, made for Disney properties, and his music videos.

The Academy blew it, pure and simple.

- GinaNYC, New York, USA, 11/3/2010 11:48
Yup. Including Farrah would have added about 10 seconds to a show where people were nattering on regardless.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1257033/Why-left-Farrah-Fawcett-Oscars-chief.html

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Steve Christou

Yup. Including Farrah would have added about 10 seconds to a show where people were nattering on regardless.
The "you can't include everyone" defense is especially lame when dealing with someone of Farrah's significance.

A simple "we're sorry, we made a mistake"...rather than the making of excuses...is what I have tried to teach my kids over the years.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
It might be lame to say you can't show everyone but the truth of the matter is that she is a TV star and I don't think she should have been included. She was known for being a TV star and some of her best movie roles were for TV movies. I doubt most people could even name many movies that she was actually in. I've seen a couple but I'd say the majority know her for television.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Understood.

They just seemed to have lost that as a good excuse by including Michael Jackson as part of the group. And, strangely, those two will be forever intertwined by pop culturists because of the proximity of their deaths.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I don't think it would have hurt anything but I'm guessing it was on purpose for a good reason and not some hatred they had for her as her friend and ex are trying to say. Both this friend and ex have been riding her coat tails for the past decade and to me this all just seems like a way to get them back in the news. I understand they're upset she wasn't included but there are reasons behind it. People more important to the business are left out each year as well.

I've always said this segment turns my stomach because of the people in the crowd applauding the people they know and then going dead silent for those they don't know. I'm sure it sucks for a family member to be watching at home and their father or son gets shown and the room goes quiet.

I'm sure the Jackson inclusion was just the popular thing to do and I personally would have included Farrah over him. I'm sure the producer just felt no one was going to know her from the movie work, which is probably correct. I doubt anyone remembers THE WIZ either though. It's a popularity contest and I think the same could be said for the special tribute to John Hughes. Last year or the year before I said this should have been done for Paul Newman since he was one of the all-time legends but I guess the producers felt he wasn't big enough. Explaining why Hughes was big enough for such a tribute could make some angry but I think it comes down to the majority of the viewers going to know the films Hughes made more than Newman.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

They just seemed to have lost that as a good excuse by including Michael Jackson as part of the group. And, strangely, those two will be forever intertwined by pop culturists because of the proximity of their deaths.

As you say, these things are being yoked together, but the inclusion of Jackson is an entirely separate phenomenon from the exclusion of Farah Fawcett, Bea Arthur or anyone else. I would submit that the movie most responsible for his inclusion wasn't The Wiz, but a film that recently made a lot of money for Sony: This Is It. There was a commercial element associated with Jackson's death that put it in an entirely separate category. I'm not saying this is a good thing -- indeed, I found much of it questionable (and that's putting it mildly) -- but the minute he appeared in the in memoriam segment, it was clear why he was there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks