What's new

Official Academy Awards Nominations 2010 Thread (Announced) (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
The awards show was awful, starting from the pre show Entertainment Tonight, E channel, tabloid esque BS that attempted to be the opener, all the way through the horrible hosting job by two of my favorites, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin. Just painful to watch.

The awards went as expected for me, or at least who I knew would take home the awards. The Hurt Locker was a great film, but definitely not my pick for best picture of last year. I liked it a lot but had other favorites top that one.

Quentin Tarantino got robbed out of the original screenplay win for sure. What the hell were people thinking?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by DAN NEIR

Don't know if this was mentioned but I noticed a few glaring ommissions in the in memorium segment, Farrah Fawcet, Bea Arthur and Ricardo Montalban

The first two weren't known for being film actors, but the last one was in enough films, he should have been noted in that segment.

Crawdaddy

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DAN NEIR

Don't know if this was mentioned but I noticed a few glaring ommissions in the in memorium segment, Farrah Fawcet, Bea Arthur and Ricardo Montalban

I believe Ricardo Montalbán was recognized in last year's memorium segment. Not sure about Farrah Fawcett and Bea Arthur; their film work was pretty limited so perhaps they weren't members of the Academy? I'm sure both will be remembered in the Emmy memorium segment.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The Hurt Locker is no One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, nor is it an Annie Hall.
Well, my point wasn't that THL was any better than Avatar. Like I said, I didn't even see THL. I just would have had a hard time accepting that Avatar was The very best film of 2009.

D

DAN NEIR

Now that I remember I think you are right about Ricardo, he died in Jan 2009 and I think was in last years segment.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by WillG

Well, my point wasn't that THL was any better than Avatar. Like I said, I didn't even see THL. I just would have had a hard time accepting that Avatar was The very best film of 2009.
If you didn't know already about the crazy ranking ballot for Best Picture, read this article on the balloting for BP:

http://www.movieline.com/2010/02/movieline-helps-simplified-best-picture-voting-instructions-for-the-confused-academy-member.php?page=all

it was about finding some consensus on a middling ranked movie after all was probably said or done.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nicholas Martin

Even though I didn't think The Hurt Locker was Best Picture material, the sound editing and especially sound mixing awards were richly deserved. Every time the bomb disposal team is out on the streets, 70 percent of what we're experiencing is the sound. The sound work was subtle but incredibly effective at putting us inside the bubble with SFC William James. Bigelow's paranoid filming style left us keenly aware that the slightest, seemingly mundane detail out of place could be the difference between life and death and the sound guys' work played a huge role in telling the story through the street noises (or, ominously, lack of street noises).

I only saw the film once, so you may have a point. It could be that I just like bombastic sound mixes rather than subtle ones. When it comes to The Hurt Locker the sound just doesn't really come to mind. Maybe that was its strength.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I just want to say that I think it is pretty darn cool to be able to say that I had a bit acting part on a movie that had two Acadamy nominations! (Granted, I was almost edited out of the thing, but my name still rolls up on the credits!)

Congrats to "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus"

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Edwin-S

Well, if some of that background material makes it to the BD then I'll take a look at it. Maybe, it will make me decide that Avatar deserved to win that category. Right now, I'm not sure it did.
If I were to guess, I'd assume that's because you figure it's done like any other CG movie with computer artists in rooms animating everything, including camera angles and moves.

Not the case at all.

Part of why AVATAR is so 'groundbreaking' is because of several camera systems designed and built by Cameron and his team, allowing him and his DP (Cameron often personally operates his cameras for most shots) to shoot the film like they would any live-action, with the CG animated in rough form and displayed IN camera real time, with the computer artists simply finalizing everything later with regard to details and textures. Even the 3D was done live, with the actors able to throw on glasses and go into a room and see the dailies in rough animation and 3D.

All that and more has been revealed through several behind-the-scenes specials and materials.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by mattCR

The Hurt Locker wasn't bad, but I also think it may be one of the least re-watchable films nominated.
Then you didn't see Precious

Really, for all the praise of the screen play as far as I was concerned nothing happened. It was one of those films I just said "hmm."
I had an argument with my friend about that. I couldn't understand how THL won best screenplay over Inglourious Basterds (in a philosophical sense -- I knew there was a THL freight train coming down the tracks). Yes, the screenplay provided the structure, but it was more of a framework that was executed by Bigelow than a well crafted work of fiction with plot and dialog. But then again, a) he didn't like IB and b) he likes to disagree with me. Vehemently. Incidentally, he saw THL a long time ago at a small screening and was able to see all but two of the movies nominated. Let me clarify -- not all but two Best Picture noms, but all but two films that were nominated in all categories (including all the short films and documentaries -- the two he missed were both Best Foregin Language films).

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
One could ask how the Tarantino film got credit for being an original screenplay when it was a remake and featured plenty of dialogue taken from other movies. I love Tarantino (didn't care for IB) but calling one of his screenplays an original piece of work might be pushing it just a bit. However, I'm sure only a complete "B" dork like me knows some of the "other" films he "borrowed" from.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Very happy to see Jeff Bridges win Best Actor. Friday night when he won Best Male Lead at the Independent Spirit Awards, at the end of his acceptance speech, he held up the award and said "This is really gonna tie the room together." Perfect.

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel
I'm proud of myself - I actually watched the Academy Awards for the first time in years. It still seems to be a load of happy horseshit to me. Anything odd or outsider-ish still doesn't garner much attention, despite a few token nods, and Hollywood seems more and more concerned with patting itself on the back over making 'message' movies.

Kathy Ireland is just bizarre. Talking to her must be like being interviewed by a mental patient. Is that really the best ABC could do? She was the sweetheart of the swimsuit super models back in the day and I will always remember her fondly for that, but she should never ever have been allowed to open her mouth.

Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin were pretty stiff as hosts. A Meryl Streep Hitler joke? Seriously? Fortunately, Meryl always looks like she has had a few stiff ones at these things. She just looks very relaaaaxed.

I'm happy for Christoph Waltz, I guess, but Christopher Plummer showed a hell of a lot more range even in that tiny little clip and has been a hell of an actor for looong time. Methinks he was robbed.

I never really noticed how much Ed Asner looked like his character in 'Up'. Loved the cartoon interview.

Monique is kinda scary. She acted like she damn well better get the damn Oscar. I'd have hated to see her beat the shit out of any of those other skinny bitches if she hadn't won.

Sandra Bullock had her Halle Berry/Sally Field moment. I wouldn't sit through one of her movies if you gave me a gallon of cheesecake ice cream and a quart of scotch, but Sandy is still pretty adorable. Seeing her now though just reminds me how much I wish they'd bring back 'Monster Garage'.

Jeff Bridges really kind of rambled on like he was stoned or something. God love him - he really is the Dude.

I never saw 'The Hurt Locker' but Kathryn Bigelow has made some great films. She's also kind of hot. I don't mean to diminish the fact that she is the first woman to win a best director award in any way by saying - I'd hit that.

Obviously, I can't comment on the best picture winner - I probably would have voted for 'District 9' or 'Where the Wild Things Are', which is why people like me shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Okay so I still think the Oscars are about promoting Ball gowns and forcing celebrities to kiss industry ass so that they can keep working, more than they are about any genuine celebration of achievement in film making, but they're obviously still the big dog and have very much captured the public imagination, so what the hell do I know anyway? I shall go back to watching my cheap exploitation DVD's and shut the hell up.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I watched THE HURT LOCKER a few weeks ago and
felt rather empty afterwards.

There was nothing to it. Didn't impress me one bit.

I'm actually disappointed it won best picture.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
The Oscars keep getting worse and worse...not that they ever were that great to begin with. The constant need to pander to ratings and demographics is really making it hard for me to sit through.

It was nice to see them honor John Hughes, but we are not talking about one of the cinematic genusies here. For a few years in the 80's he was making some nice teen films that were a cut above the rest...but by the late 80's, he was pretty much spent. To get such a long tribute like he did last night...much longer than anything the Oscars did recently for people such as Marlon Brando or Stanley Kubrick was just way too much pandering fto the demographic.

The dance sequence to the movie scores was a trainwreck beyong belief.

Sandra Bullock gets a standing ovation???????????????????????? Yes, because we know how much she is dedicated to the craft of acting over the years as exemplified n films such as Miss Congeniality 2, Two Weeks Notice and All About Steve . If any award (and reaction to the winner) shows how much the Oscars is a popularity contest, this is the one.

The pairing of Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin was not a success.

I'm happy that the Hurt Locker and Jeff Bridges won.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
The introductions to the best actors & best actress were ridiculous.

Smaltzy, cheesy & gross. They introduced each other as if they were all Mother Teresa.

Reminded me of SCTV's hilarious "Sammy Maudlin Show" - the talk-show spoof where celebs over-praise each other & gush & cry & pat each other on the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks