*** Official "ABOUT A BOY" Review Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Crawford, May 17, 2002.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "About A Boy". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
    Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
    If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.
    Crawdaddy

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Saw this film last night in a suprisingly packed theatre. I just note that I'm a BIG fan of the original novel & re-read it this week in preparation for seeing the film.

I really enjoyed it. Hugh Grant captured the character of Will perfectly - his mannerisms, his dialogue was perfect throughout the film. The young actor playing Marcus was very good too.

Good acting, funny & intelligent dialogue, and a good story. What more do you want?

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Good solid film for a Hugh Grant vehicle. Somewhat predictable, but the story has a lot of heart and Grant is very entertaining is his voiceover comments. It's worth seeing.

I give it a grade of B for "Boy" or 3 stars out of 4.

4. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

Very well done. Terrific soundtrack, very fine acting by Toni Collette and Rachel Weisz, and perhaps Hugh Grant's best performance.

I thought the plotline was surprisingly realistic, in that some tough choices were made by the characters, with some very real consequences. It gets the balance right between humor and empathy, without getting manipulative.

Highly recommended, escpecially if you've had your fill of grand special effects blockbusters, and just want a picture with more humanity and warmth.