What's new

*** Official "A MAN APART" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I am interested in reviews and opinions on this movie. It looks pretty good. I heard someone say that it is a cross between Trainig Day and the video game Max Payne. If that is the case, it should be a fun one.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I hear Vin Diesel is going to shoot some guys. :)

Seriously, I'm pretty interested in it based on Gray's Negotiator, which I think exceeded its premise.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Well, Cnn.com put up a review, for what use that is to you. They pretty much trashed it, but at the same time, you can tell that if it's the type of movie you're looking for, they are saying it's full of the "stuff" that make up that type of movie.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
And that is what I am looking for, a bad guy shoot em up type of movie. I am sick and tired of some reviewers today. Thats why I don't give it much thought when I hear that Cnn.com trashed a movie like this. It seems that if there is not some deep plot line to a movie then it is not worthy. And I think that is crap. Thats why I like to hear HTF members opinions because for the most part, most people here still enjoy movies for what they are for, entertainment.:)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
The review I read this morning in the San Francisco Chronicle that Vin didnt emote much emotion the whole movie and that it was a standard revenge movie ala Death Wish.
It wasnt a good review.
From what I have read elsewhere, this movie has changed endings several times so that could mean trouble.

Todd_B

Second Unit
A Man Apart is scoring a whopping *gulp* 6% over at Rotten Tomatoes.

My s/o is a huge Diesel fan (I'm sure it has to do w/his 'acting' abilities ;) ) so I'll probably end up catching this at some point.

Todd B

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, this is getting a pretty nasty drubbing over at RT. So, it looks like xXx will be better reviewed than this will be.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "A Man Apart" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "A Man Apart" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If anybody sees this film and wants to contribute a review, please do so by starting a new thread and I'll designate it as the Official Review thread.

Crawdaddy

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
The trailer for it was pretty good and looked like a pretty emotional and serious movie to me. But I noticed the tv ads for it are playing it off as a big action movie and make no mention of his wife. Think I'll wait for more HTF comments before seeing it.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'll probably see it. I didn't like XXX, but I'm sure I'll like this more. I knew what kind of movie it was going to be when I saw him holding a shot gun outstretched with one arm. That wouldn't feel too great if you shot one like that.

Might be a fun action flick, might surprise us and actually be emotional when the wife dies.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I also saw a preview with someone holding a mini gun. Yeah it looks a little over the top, but I like those kind of movies. I enjoyed XxX. This one looks better than that though.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
When I saw the preview in the theatre people were laughing at the trailer.
It will probably make Millions.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I might see it...might not...looks like a violent cop movie and I'm all for that...its not gonna top Dark Blue or anything...but might be a bit fun...

BrandonL

Stunt Coordinator
I saw it and I liked it somewhat. My girlfriend thought the movie was just ok. It has a decent amount of violence. There was some humor. The character who drives the nice cars in the movie is pretty funny. Vin Diesel does a good job for what the movie is. An action/revenge movie. Though there is one scene where he gets hurt and overacts a lot. And the where you think the ending is, everyone started walking out of the theater. But then there was some more. But people kept walking out anyways. And some of the scenes with his wife in the beginning were really corny.

I haven't spoiled anything either. Oh and Larenz Tate does a good job with his role. The movie isn't total action like XXX though. It's a cross between some cheezey story line with some action. I can say I wasn't bored watching it. That's for sure.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Alex, I agree with you, I am glad the movie focused more on the story and drama and not on the action. Although I do wish there would have been a little more action. If the end scene, where they broke into the place they raided at the beginning,would have been longer with more people to shoot. Too bad Vin didn't bring the mini gun that Sexy had.Anyway if that scene was longer the movie would have been perfect.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
The character who drives the nice cars is Timothy Olyphant. He is the X dealer in GO and he is Delroy Lindo's cop partner in Gone in 60 Seconds. He was great in this movie. Very funny. He brought a lot of life and humor to the movie. I also liked the guy who played the role of Sexy. In fact I thought everybody in the film did a really good job.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I know what you mean Jeff. I was expecting that the bar scene would have turned into an action set piece, but it just evaporated, as did Sexy.

BrandonL

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah maybe that bar scene was cut down? Someone told me they cut a lot out of the final movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks