What's new

*** Official 9th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge (1 Viewer)

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Friday the 13th Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan :star::star:1/2
The Big Apple's in big trouble, as indestructible psycho-fiend Jason Voorhees hits the road to New York City -- and paints the town "red."

After a shocking return from beyond the grave, the diabolical Jason ships out aboard a teen filled "love boat" bound for New York, which he soon transforms into the ultimate voyage of the damned. Then one of his terrified victims escapes into the nightmarish maze of Manhattan's subways and sewers, only to confront Jason one final time.

My Thoughts:
This is my least favorite of the F13 movies. I still find it worth watching... but I really didn't care much for Jason in New York. He just belongs in the woods! Though there was a part or two that was worth a good chuckle with him in the city. And I really didn't care the way they chose to end this one.'

My Watched Listhttp://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/3439905-post19.html
Count: 97 Movies, 45 TV Show Eps. & 2 Other

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Re: The StrangersI don't think that saying that they have ninja power is entirely fair (though it is funny
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
). The scene where a bad guy grabs Scott Speedman's character in the car and is gone before he can turn around is BS but other than that, I don't think the bad guys do anything that The Shape couldn't do in Halloweeen.

And according to Wikipedia, the 'true events' aren't based on a real home invasion or murder. It came from when the writer/director was young, someone knocked on his family's front door and asked for a person who didn't live there. They told him that no one lived there by that name, the guy left and that was that. The next morning, a bunch of houses in the kid's neighborhood had been broken into so the guy had knocked on doors to find empty houses to rob. Big difference between a burglar knocking on your door and three masked maniacs killing you.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Love the caption for Sleepaway Camp Radioman, good stuff!

I finished off the Chris Lee Dracula films, and started up on THE OMEN series. Not sure why I decided to watch the Omens at this point in hind sight, I think I'm going out the challenge with a whimper. :S

10/29 105 SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA (1973) 2/5 - The shocking true story of Mi5's investigation into the dreaded Lamb Skin Vest cult. They get Van Helsings to advise them, and it's a good thing too since the chain smoking vampire hunter eventually has a run in with Dracula. Fortunately for all, Drac is the shits when faced with a thorny hedge. And fortunately for us, there's couple of shots of bloody boobies, so it gets 2 stars since Chris Lee Versus a hedge isn't really a draw on it's own.

10/29 106 THE OMEN (1976) 4/5 - First time I saw this, I remember being unimpressed. This go round it was actually really good and totally held it's own. The remake is identical to it, but doesn't work. What's up with that? Stupid Hollywood. Maybe it's because they couldn't get Patrick Troughton, he makes every movie he's in man.

10/29 107 DAMIEN : THE OMEN II (1978) 3/5 - Damian is now a kid in military school, and he's just not that spooky when he talks. Pretty much sinks the film really. Some snot nosed bastard teen who puts some unexplained whammy on people just isn't spooky.

My tally be here at this link!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/3439470-post7.html

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I haven't seen it since this summer, but I recall a lot of distance being traveled in rather short time, and they have night vision too cause there' no fucking way that chick in the dress would be able to get about that shed without making a sound to sneak up on ummm whoever the good person was in the shed. I think it was Liz. :P Just a csa for me where, it just went a bit too far to be "intense" and once I go "oh come on!", it's pretty much done. The Shape in that first Halloween does some crazy things, but you see him doing it to a point, like after he's knitted needled and thought dead, you see him rise, so it sets up that he's an extra sneaky bastard. Add that to all the girls other then Jamie being dumb as plumbs, and it works. the people in The Strangers do the most irrational things for little reason whch doesn't help. At least PJ in Halloween doesn;t even know theres a killer about.

Funny, that "True Story" rationalisation for the film though!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Oct. 30:

The Changeling (1980). :star: :star: :star: :star:

I watched this film a while ago, and thought I should give it a closer viewing for the Challenge. It was an excellent film in many ways. Some posters (including myself) have commented on the atmosphere of the film; I think that that is one of its strongest qualities. George C. Scott, Trish Van Devere, John Colicos (Kor of Star Trek fame) and Melvyn Douglas are among the excellent cast.

Scott plays a man whose wife and daughter are killed accidentally. He moves into an old house which holds a lot of secrets. He is a composer and a teacher of musical form at the university. The haunting score, the seance, the well (and what they find there), the angles and sound effects used throughout the film, and the (at times) Exorcist-like qualities really resonated with me this time around. It's a really good film, and worthy of one's time, in my opinion.

Updated list:

Films:

01. House On Haunted Hill (1959) :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
02. The Fly (1958) :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
03. The Giant Gila Monster (1959) :star: :star: :star: 1/2
04. Halloweentown (1998) :star: :star: :star:
05. Return Of the Fly (1959) :star: :star: :star: :star:
06. The Blob (1958) :star: :star: :star: :star: 1/2
07. The Screaming Skull (1958) :star: :star: :star: 1/2
08. Halloweentown II: Kalabar's Revenge (2001) :star: :star: :star: 1/2
09. I Bury the Living (1958) :star: :star: :star: 1/2
10. The Wasp Woman (1959) :star: :star: 1/2
11. The Hand (1960) :star: :star:
12. The Three Stooges ("Spook Louder") (1943) :star: :star: :star:
13. Mostly Ghostly- Who Let the Ghosts Out? (2008) :star: 1/2
14. The Creature From the Black Lagoon (1954) :star: :star: :star: :star: 1/2
15. The Monster That Challenged the World (1957) :star: :star: :star:
16. The Giant Leeches (1959) :star: :star: 1/2
17. It! The Terror From Beyond Space (1958) :star: 1/2
18. The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971) :star: :star: :star: 1/2
19. Theater of Blood (1973) :star: :star:
20. Halloweentown High (2004) :star: :star:
21. The Shining (1980) :star: :star: :star:
22. Revenge Of the Creature (1955) :star: :star: :star: 1/2
23. Bloody Birthday (1981) :star: :star:
24. The Creature Walks Among Us (1956) :star: :star: :star:
25. Dr. Phibes Rises Again (1972) :star: :star: 1/2
26. Curse Of the Fly (1965) :star: :star: :star:
27. Return to Halloweentown (2006) :star: :star: 1/2
28. The Haunting Hour (2007) :star: :star: :star:
29. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) :star: :star: 1/2
30. Tower of Terror (1997) :star: :star: :star:
31. Night Of the Living Dead (1968) :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
32. Madhouse (1974) :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
33. The Changeling (1980) :star: :star: :star: :star:

Television episodes:

01. Dark Shadows (Original series) (episodes nos. 19 and 20) (1966) :star: :star: :star: 1/2
02. One Step Beyond ("The Dead Part Of the House") (1959) :star: :star: :star:
03. Charmed ("All Halliwell's Eve") (2000) :star: :star: :star: 1/2
04. Star Trek ("Catspaw") (1967) :star: :star: 1/2
05. Dark Shadows (Original series) (episodes nos. 21, 22, 23, and 24) (1966) :star: :star: :star:
06. The Waltons ("Ghost Story") (1974) :star: :star: :star:
07. Scooby Doo, Where Are You! ("A Clue For Scooby Doo") (1969) :star: :star:
08. Wizards of Waverly Place ("Racing") (2008) :star: :star:
09. Wizards of Waverly Place ("Alex's Brother, Maximan" (2008) :star: :star:
10. Wizards of Waverly Place ("Saving WizTech") (part 1) (2008) :star: :star:
11. Wizards of Waverly Place ("Saving WizTech") (part 2) (2008) :star: :star:
12. Dark Shadows (Original series) (episodes nos. 25, 26, and 27) (1966) :star: :star: :star:
13. The Brady Bunch ("Fright Night") (1972) :star: :star: :star:

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
10/28 61 Night of the Living Dead (1968) :star: :star: :star: 1/2

I guess this one is the granddaddy of all zombie movies and it still looks great 40 years later. Unfortunately the acting sucked except for Duane Jones but the acting is incidental to everything else going on. This is a fairly good low budget horror movie that I'm glad I finally saw.

10/29 62 Candyman 3: Day of the Dead (1999) :star: 1/2

I haven't seen any of the other Candyman movie but I hope the're better than this. Tony Todd was great as the Candyman but practically no one else. I found it dull and unscary.

10/30 63 They Wait (2007) :star: :star: :star:

Interesting little film that brings to mind the spate of recent Japanese horror movies that have been popular lately. The acting in the movie is fairly good especially the young boy. This has good atmosphere, story and was surprisingly entertaining. Glad I saw it.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Eyes of a Stranger (1981) :star::star: Ken Wiederhorn

A rather lame "slasher" has Lauren Tewes playing a TV reporter who begins to think that the serial killer stalking women is her neighbor (John DiSanti). This is a very strange movie as it never seems to know what it's trying to be. On one hand it really plays and feels like a made for TV flick but then again there are some rather sleazy murders, which includes some graphic violence and some nudity. Tom Savini was behind the special effects but I've read that this film started out as a straight psychological thriller and then Savini was called in after the success of Friday the 13th. I'd be curious if Savini came in after the original film was completed because there's really no rhyme or reason behind the special effects. Some of the murder sequences are rather tame while others happen off screen. If you make a slasher then the murders don't happen off screen. Then there are other murders, which you can clearly tell Savini is behind them but then again these sequences seem out of place as if they were filmed later and then edited back into the movie. No matter how they were really done or when, they do look good. Overall I found the film too slow and boring to really be that good and some of the blame has to go towards the director even though the first murder sequence manages to build some tension. Jennifer Jason Leigh plays the blind/deaf/mute sister and does a pretty good job in her first film. I wasn't too thrilled with Tewes who I felt was bland in the lead. DiSanti was an interesting choice for the killer but he doesn't have much to work with. The film could be called a remake of Rear Window and even a rip of various DePalma movies, which this seems to try and copy. Either way the movie never really takes off.

Hands of the Ripper (1971) :star::star: Peter Sasdy

Hammer film about a doctor (Eric Porter) who comes across the daughter of Jack the Ripper who happened to witness her father kill her mother. Years later as a young adult more bodies are starting to pop up so is the daughter a copycat killer or has daddy possessed her? I believe this was the first Hammer film I ever watched and I remember watching it a couple times because I really loved the story but I never thought the film itself really worked. After rewatching it all these years later those feelings are still here. There's a lot to like in this film but at the same time there's even more to dislike. The biggest problem for me is that the film just doesn't come off very believable at anytime. The story itself of Jack the Ripper's daughter is an interesting one but the way the screenplays goes about everything is just a mess and I didn't believe it for a second. You even get dumb scenes like when one character gets it with a sword yet he manages to stay alive for the remainder of the film. Angharad Rees is certainly easy to look at but I wasn't to thrilled with her performance either. Eric Porter on the other hand clearly steals the film and really makes it a lot easier to sit through. The music score and the killings are all well handled but in the end the film doesn't work nearly as good as it should have. A nice effort from the studio but no winner.

Dr. Jekyll & Sister Hyde (1971) :star::star:1/2 Roy Ward Baker

Hammer's gender blending version of the Stevenson novel has Henry Jekyll (Ralph Bates) experimenting with extending life but he accidentally turns himself into the beautiful but deadly Mrs. Hyde (Martine Beswick). This here is certainly an ambitious little film that works a lot better than it should have. I think the biggest key is the screenplay by Brian Clemens, which throws everything into the picture and just hopes it sticks. Not only do we get the gender bending version of Jekyll and Hyde but we also get Jack the Ripper elements thrown in and we also get Burke and Hare elements added for good measure. We've basically got three different movies going on here and it's all held together with some very good direction by Baker. He handles the material quite well and mixes it up nicely and for the most part delivers a good film. The biggest problem is that the movie starts to run out of steam towards the end and the final ten-minutes are pretty dragging. Another strong aspect are the performances by Bates and Beswick. It's remarkable how much they look alike and this adds to the story of them being brother and sister. Both are very strong in their roles with Bates really shining and I'd say he's one of the better Jekyll's out of any of the versions. Susan Broderick is also very good as the neighbor who loves Jekyll. I think this film is a lot better than Hammer's previous attempts at Jack the Ripper or the Jekyll/Hyde tale and the added sexuality makes this one to watch.

Mama Dracula (1980) BOMB Boris Szulzinger

Oscar winner Louise Fletcher (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) and Oscar nominee Maria Schneider (Last Tango in Paris) star in this Belgian horror/comedy that has to be one of the worst films ever made. In a mixture of the Dracula and Elizabeth Bathory stories, Fletcher plays a female Dracula who needs to take a bath in the blood of virgins in order to live. Her two gay sons own a clothing store that keeps them supplied but it's getting harder and harder to find virgins in today's times. Man, oh man what a horrible film this one turned out to be. This was a minor holy grail to me as I've been wanting to see it for ages just to see if it was really as bad as the reputation that goes with it. It's every bit as bad and I'd say it's even worse than any of the reviews I've read for it. I'm really not sure what the hell they were going for or how they got Fletcher to star in this but the movie is a complete misfire from the opening scenes to the very last. There's plenty of slapstick and silly situations but I didn't laugh a single time nor did I ever crack a smile. The story makes very little sense and it appears that the screenwriter was a drunk because the movie jumps all over the place so much that you can't help but wonder what they're trying to do. As for Fletcher, believe it or not she comes off fairly well and never embarrasses herself too much. She's seems to be playing everything straight as if the producer's didn't tell her this was a spoof. Maria Schneider, like the rest of the cast, comes off horrible. The "wirgins" gag from Blood for Dracula is ripped off here but that doesn't even get a laugh here. There's plenty of naked women but not even that can save this turkey.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
097) 10/30/08 Saw V (2008) :star::star:1/2

Jigsaw is dead, but his helper continues carrying out Jigsaw's plans as well as trying to cover his own ass. We also learn how Jigsaw recruited his mystery partner. Pretty solid entry in the series, which closes certain story threads while opening others. (What's in the box? Is someone really following Jill Tuck?)
The pacing is good and the latest traps are inventive enough. And it's great that the writers continue to keep Tobin Bell in the series. If you're a Saw series fan, you're likely to enjoy this.

2008 Scary Movie Challenge Complete List

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I have to add The Changeling to my NetFlix. I have never seen it. So many of you guys have talked it up, i will try it. My recollection of it, back in the day, is that no one liked it. It was a flop as well, if i recall right. But of course a turd from 25 years ago, is like gold next to some of the new stuff.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
59. The Car

An evil car starts running down people in a small New Mexican town. That premise seems pretty silly but the movie is actually pretty good. It takes its time, there are some quirky characters and the car horn sounds really cool.

My list (new titles in bold)
01. Cat People (1942)
02. Curse Of The Cat People
03. The Midnight Meat Train
04. The Leopard Man
05. I Walked With A Zombie
06. The Body Snatcher
07. 976-EVIL
08. The Howling
09. Waxwork
10. Waxwork II
11. 976-EVIL II
12. House Of 1,000 Corpses
13. The Devil's Rejects
14. Pet Sematary
15. 2001 Maniacs
16. Friday The 13th
17. Friday The 13th Part 2
18. Friday The 13th Part III
19. Friday The 13th- The Final Chapter
20. Friday The 13th- A New Beginning
21. Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
22. Friday The 13th Part VII: The New Blood
23. Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
24. Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday (unrated)
25. Jason X
26. Freddy Vs. Jason
27. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
28. Psycho (1960)
29. Psycho II
30. Psycho III
31. Psycho IV: The Beginning
32. He Knows You're Alone
33. Eyes Of A Stranger
34. Terror Train
35. Prom Night (1980)
36. The Fog (1979)
37. Road Games
38. Someone's Watching Me!
39. Maniac (1980)
40. Saw (unrated)
41. Saw II (extended)
42. Saw III (director's cut)
43. Saw IV (unrated)
44. Saw V
45. Halloween (1978)
46. Halloween II
47. Halloween III: Season Of The Witch
48. Halloween 4: The Return Of Michael Myers
49. Halloween 5
50. Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers
51. Halloween H20
52. Halloween Resurrection
53. Halloween (2007) (director's cut)
54. The Strangers (extended cut)
55. The Seventh Victim
56. Scream
57. Scream 2
58. Scream 3
59. The Car

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

"Overrated" is usually applied when someone doesn't appreciate a movie that generally enjoys a "good" or "great" reputation - that is, as an overall understanding (like CASABLANCA or CITIZEN KANE generally being considered an exceptional film by the majority of viewers). Many films have a general overall reputation. In the case of THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD, its general rep is very high and it's considered an exceptional science fiction film, on the average. I don't agree with this, so I think its basic reputation is overrated.

The same thing happens (in the reverse) with "Underrated" films. If there's a movie that is almost universally loathed and is considered "poor" by overall reputation, but a person tends to think it's good, he'd consider it it an "underrated" movie. I think FRANKENSTEIN - 1970 is an underrated film, because I feel it's not as poor as its overall majority rep suggests.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I'm going to be sad to see this end this year, Russell. Which is why I've thought up a new idea to keep this fun routine going on all year long from November 1st through September 30th every year - but without jeopardizing this traditional "SCARY MOVIE CHALLENGE" in any way!.

Check out a new thread I'm calling THREAD OF HORRORS. It'll be up in a few minutes. Go there and let me know what you think of the idea. This is too much fun and too interesting to keep to one month.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Of course Joe, one could also say The Thing From Another World is 50 years old, and still, i see it on TV all the time. So while its cool you dont like it, the fact that it has been around, and aired for 50 years, on TV and sells well on home video, must mean something?

Frankenstein 1970, may be a good movie, i dont remember it, but when was it last on TV? How does it sell on DVD?

Bottom line, we all have different tastes, but we also have some overlap. Cant that be OK, without an its overrated cause i say so?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Sure it's okay to have different tastes and overlap. I didn't mean to be offensive. But it's still my opinion (and that's all it is - my opinion) that THE THING is overrated. I arrive at that "label" because it is so universally well-regarded and enjoys a grand reputation. I think it's just okay.

Some people probably think STAR TREK, being so universally applauded, is "Overrated" too (I don't in that case).

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Oh i dont think you were being offensive. And i hope i didnt come off as being so either. I think most of the time we all agree on our love of movies, and home theater, or we wouldnt be here together.

Speaking of Star Trek, and really, any horror or sci fi movie thats more than 20 years old...if i hear "____ is cheesy", one more time, i will strangle someone!
Why is everything that is old, made on a budget, has lots of color, or is black and white called cheesy!
Cheesy, not overrated, thats the one that gets me!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

That Star Trek cartoon was cheesy, so greasy cheesy you could polish your Vulcan ears with it....

*It's also the only Star Trek DVD I own :P

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Child's Play: Chucky's 20th Birthday Edition :star::star::star::star:
Six-year-old Andy is thrilled when he gets a brand-new, cheery Chucky doll for his birthday. But he quickly discovers that Chucky is possessed by the soul of a notorious serial killer who swiftly begins terrorizing Andy, his ill-fated babysitter and his disbelieving mom. And he doesn't stop there. Proving he's nobody to toy with, the demonic doll schemes to transfer his evil spirit out of its "kid-friendly" container...and into Andy!

My Thoughts:
After 8 F13 movies I am getting a bit tired of Jason. Time to slip over to something else. So thought I would check out my newest DVD. I always enjoyed Child's Play. And we finally get a widescreen version of the movie! Not to mention a special edition with a lot of extras. The best part... I got to upgrade to it without it costing me anything! It has been a while since I seen this one... so was good to watch again. I really enjoyed it. I didn't get the chance to check out many of the extras yet though.

My Watched Listhttp://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/3439905-post19.html
Count: 98 Movies, 45 TV Show Eps. & 2 Other

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
The films I saw at this year's Toronto After Dark film fest that you could squeeze into the horror genre (one of the best things I saw was a Chilean vigilante martial arts super hero movie with 70s waka-chaka funk music, but it wasn't scary).

26. Let The Right One In (2008 - Tomas Alfredson) - A winner at several festivals, this is one beautifully realized film. Not so much strictly a vampire film, but more of a coming of age story of a 12 year old boy trying to relate to the people around him - including his new neighbour a 12 year old girl. Well, physically she "looks" 12, but she's actually been around for many centuries...Their relationship is actually quite gentle and sweet, so when the violence occurs it's even more disturbing.

27. Repo:The Genetic Opera (2008 - Darren Lynn Bouseman) - A complete mess. It wants to be the new Rocky Horror in the form of a 21st Century Rock Opera, but the songs, lyrics and storylines are frankly pretty terrible (shouting over one another doesn't make for interesting music, nor does it allow you to follow the characters). The premise is pretty cool though - in the future when there are many more organ transplants, you can finance them through the behemoth company GeneCo. But if you miss a payment - they will come a-calling to repossess. Too bad they screwed things up and pretty much lost touch with that interesting idea.

28. Kevin Tenney's Brain Dead (2007 - Kevin Tenney) - Silly 80s style gore and occasionally poorly scripted humour, the film kinda grows on you...The effects are actually pretty fun, there's only a little CGI and the script picks up once the zombies kick into gear. Not great, but it's not meant to be.

29. Trailer Park Of Terror (2008 - Steven Goldmann) - Starts out pretty good with some solid acting, good effects and an interesting "kill" or two. But then it loses its way by bringing torture into it and bad hillbilly stereotypes. Left a bad taste in my mouth by the end.

30. Red (2008 - Trygve Diesen & Lucky McKee) - A solid little thriller that was a surprise pick for the festival lineup. Brian Cox is simply terrific as the old timer trying to get some justice - he slowly seethes as he is blocked at every avenue to get the young boys who shot his dog to own up to what they have done. Surprisingly effective.

31. 4bia (2008 - 4 different directors) - One of the most fun experiences at the After Dark festival was this anthology of ~25 minute Thai horror tales. The first is all about the build up and payoff (a woman confined to her room waits as a mysterious stranger she has been messaging claims he is on his way), the second is a bit too frenetic, but delivers on some big death scenes (a bullied boy gets revenge through witchcraft), the third is a seriously funny take on ghost story conventions that uses a great deal of North American movie references and had the crowd laughing out loud and the last story is a straightforward (but still very effective) version of a dead body coming back to haunt a single person trapped alone with it. The duo directors of "Shutter" and "Alone" each have their own film. I hope this gets wider release.

32. Netherbeast Incorporated (2007 - Dean Ronalds) - The Office with vampires. But better than you would expect - not fall down funny, but quite entertaining with roles for Dave Foley, Darryl Hammond and Jason Mewes. And with Steve from Blue's Clues!

33. Mutant Chronicles (2008 - Simon Hunter) - A horror show of a different kind...Some people are saying this is intentionally bad and there are indeed some laugh out loud "are you kidding" me moments to it, but it didn't do enough with any of the standard conventions of the future dystopic tale.

34. Tokyo Gore Police (2008 - Yoshihiro Nishimura) - Holy crap. Take the bloodiest movie you have ever seen, multiply by 10 and maybe, maybe you might get near the copious amounts of gore conjured up here. It's pretty much a bunch of set pieces strung together - some brillantly conceived that left the audience with jaws hanging. After awhile it actually kind of got a bit repetitive - "oh look, she just killed another mutant being and it's spraying blood everywhere" - but then another amazing scene pops up (like the gun that shoots fists - actual fists) and you're pulled back in. Not for the squeamish though. You can find the trailer here (actually all these films have their trailers at the After dark site) - be forewarned.

35. Home Movie (2008 - Christopher Denham) - Creepy atmosphere galore in this found footage tale of two children who embrace their evil sides - all caught on their parents videotapes of different holidays in their secluded home. The tension is really built effectively and the camerawork (yes, it's a bit shaky at times) is very well done since it manages to incorporate all the necessary things into the frame without obviously forcing them in.

2008 Scary Movie Challenge:

1. 10/01/08 - Dead Of Night
(1945 - Alberto Calvacanti, Charles Crichton, Basil Dreaden, Robert Hamer)
2. 10/01/08 - Dr. Phibes Rises Again (1972 - Robert Fuest)
3. 10/02/08 - Hair Extensions (2007 - Sion Sono)
4. 10/02/08 - The House That Dripped Blood (1971 - Peter Duffell)
5. 10/03/08 - Going To Pieces (2006 - unknown)
6. 10/03/08 - The Skull (1965 - Freddie Francis)
7. 10/04/08 - The Brood (1979 - David Cronenberg)
8. 10/05/08 - Blood And Black Lace (1964 - Mario Bava)
9. 10/05/08 - From Beyond The Grave (1973 - Kevin Connor)
10. 10/05/08 - Yokai Monsters: Along With Ghosts (1969 - Yoshiyuki Kuroda, Kumiyoshi Yasuda)
11. 10/06/08 - The Brides Of Dracula (1960 - Terence Fisher)
12. 10/07/08 - Yokai Monsters: 100 Monsters (1968 - Kumiyoshi Yasuda)
13. 10/07/08 - Rabid (1977 - David Cronenberg)
14. 10/09/08 - The Beast Must Die! (1974 - Paul Annett)
15. 10/10/08 - Torture Garden (1967 - Freddie Francis)
16. 10/10/08 - They Live (1988 - John Carpenter)
17. 10/11/08 - Curse Of The Werewolf (1961 - Terence Fisher)
18. 10/11/08 - Shocker (1989 - Wes Craven)
19. 10/12/08 - Black Sunday (1960 - Mario Bava)
20. 10/12/08 - Scream And Scream Again (1970 - Gordon Hessler)
21. 10/13/08 - Strait-Jacket (1964 - William Castle)
22. 10/14/08 - Watch Me When I Kill (1977 - Antonio Bido)
23. 10/14/08 - Happy Birthday To Me (1981 - J. Lee Thompson)
24. 10/15/08 - Paranoiac (1963 - Freddie Francis)
25. 10/16/08 - Ten Nights Of Dreams (2006 - 11 different directors)
26. 10/17/08 - Let The Right One In (2008 - Tomas Alfredson)
27. 10/18/08 - Repo:The Genetic Opera (2008 - Darren Lynn Bouseman)
28. 10/19/08 - Kevin Tenney's Brain Dead (2007 - Kevin Tenney)
29. 10/19/08 - Trailer Park Of Terror (2008 - Steven Goldmann)
30. 10/20/08 - Red (2008 - Trygve Diesen & Lucky McKee)
31. 10/20/08 - 4bia (2008 - 4 different directors)
32. 10/21/08 - Netherbeast Incorporated (2007 - Dean Ronalds)
33. 10/22/08 - Mutant Chronicles (2008 - Simon Hunter)
34. 10/23/08 - Tokyo Gore Police (2008 - Yoshihiro Nishimura)
35. 10/23/08 - Home Movie (2008 - Christopher Denham)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks