What's new

***Official 8th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge*** (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I mean more like an alternate breakdown type of list. Like I said, I'm happy in my rut but I give a thumbs up to the more adventurous viewer.

Hell, I consider you the winner since you apparently have a regular job (I work freelance) and you still managed to watch as many movies as you did. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
ha ha, thanks. I can't believe I broke 100 titles. I really did watch nothing but horror though, just that one Mickey Rooney flick. A good bought of insomnia helped.

If I didn't spend last Saturday playing video games, I might of snuck it from you. ;).

In all seriousness though, this one has been a blast. Great discussion on titles both familiar and unfamiliar, everyone seems to have watched more then they planned, mostly anyways.

Did anyone have babies? there was talk of potential Halloween babies at the start.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

No but you've thrown a fit and mentioned what others were watching at least four times now and you also posted a mock list of titles, which once again was aiming at what people were watching. If you feel someone counting something is wrong or against the rules then please speak up and not just throw hints or make mock lists. I'm going to start adding up everything and ranking them so if you feel as if people cheated or whatever your word would be then let us know before things get added up. No one else has mentioned anything but perhaps if you let your side show then others will agree.

In case you missed it, this challenge is for fun and fun only. There aren't any prizes given out, which is why I'm still not sure why you are so worried with what others were watching or adding to their lists. It appears everyone had fun but I'm not certain if you did or if you're just busting balls.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

As soon as Joe lets his feelings out then I'll start counting everything up.

Either way, I'm going to make a total number of movies watched and then in the () I'll show how many were new titles. Perhaps also post the most impressive day where the most movies were watched. This is a good call on your part since there are rules that say you have to watch a certain amount of new titles (2 or 13 depending on which challenge you're going for). I believe Matt started this last year or the year before.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My tally...

33 Viewed, 19 new viewings. If Joe wants to throw a fit, you can remove one from each tally for the Broncos/Chargers game. Notice I didn't include any World Series games.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Hey Guys,

I feel like a complete jerk. While I was able to actually watch more movies than last year - I simply did not have time to participate with a review. A real shame. I always like the back and forth discussions, but between having a baby on the way (2 weeks left!) and my insane workload, I'm actually surprised I got in a many flicks as I did.

So here's my total for this year. If you don't want to mention me in the list of splatterheads, that's totally cool since I didn't participate in the discussion. In total I screened 58 flicks. 48 were new for me. Last year's total was 54, as was the year before, so I bested myself by 4! That won't be the case next year for obvious reasons. So I'm glad I could squeeze in as many as I did this year.

Hope everyone had a fun time with it!

1. Curse of the Werewolf (1961)
2. The Mummy (1932)
3. The Changeling (1980)
4. Cemetery Man (1996)
5. Pumpkinhead (1989)
6. Shaun of the Dead – Commentary Track1 (2004)
7. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)
8. The Leopard Man (1943)
9. Severance (2006)
10. Return of the Vampire (1944)
11. Shaun of the Dead - Commentary Track2 (2004)
12. Hellraiser (1987)
13. Return of Dracula (1958)
14. Hellraiser - Commentary Track (1987)
15. Madhouse (1974)
16. The Elephant Man (1980)
17. SSSSSSS (1973)
18. Angel Heart (1987)
19. American Werewolf in London – Commentary Track (1981)
20. House of 1000 Corpses – Commentary Track (2002)
21. Night of the Living Dead – Commentary Track (1968)
22. Horror of Dracula (1958)
23. Sleepy Hollow – Commentary Track (1999)
24. 100 Years of Horror (1996)
25. Innocent Blood (1992)
26. The Fall of the House of Usher – Commentary Track (1960)
27. The Burning (1981)
28. Ghostbusters – Commentary Track (1984)
29. 28 Weeks Later (2007)
30. Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
31. Flesh and Blood The Horror of Hammer (1994)
32. The Burning – Commentary Track (1981)
33. The Pit and the Pendulum (1961)
34. Hostel 2 (2007)
35. The Lost Boys (1987)
36. The Pit and the Pendulum – Commentary Track (1961)
37. To the Devil… A Daughter (1976)
38. Foet – short (2001)
39. Criticized – short (2006)
40. Far Out – short (2007)
41. Halfway – short (2007)
42. Hostel Director’s Cut (2005)
43. Saw 4 (2007)
44. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
45. Zombies on Broadway (1945)
46. Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
47. The Listening Dead – short (2006)
48. Strip Nude For Your Killer (1975)
49. Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
50. Ginger Snaps (2000)
51. Night Creatures (1962)
52. The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
53. The Devil’s Rejects (2005)
54. Your Vice is a Locker Room and Only I Have the Key (1972)
55. Cabinet of Caligari (1962)
56. Monster Squad (1987)
57. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919)
58. Frogs (1973)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I didn't "throw a fit" any more than you did when you constantly made references to what people were watching and saying "if X counts, then so does Y". In fact, I followed your lead on occasion. ;)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Well, Matt's rules at the start do not say 13. He only says 2, though he recommends more than 2 (I know where you're going with this). If you want to go by "rules" (as you brought up) then this has to go for everything - like coming here and talking about the films, or whatever else. I'm just saying, since you mentioned rules. As I have said on occasion, I view October as the chance for me to watch many of my tried and true routine Universal favorites each year, and I know last time I told Matt I'd gladly bow out of the challenge if this didn't count. If you'd like to throw my list out because of watching some repeats of last year, that's also perfectly fine with me. But Matt does say:

3. If you were part of the challenge last year, no more than two of the same films can be RE-watched. I'll grant a couple since some movies (ie. Halloween, Rocky Horror) are simply tradition and I'm willing to give credit for these. (Revision: This only applies to those going for the 13 movie challenge)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Joe, no one ever said anything about repeat viewings and I believe this was thrown out last year. The problem here is that I just copied and paste the rules from last year before they were fixed half way through the challenge last year. And you aren't being thrown off for not watching enough new viewings. But you do need to let everyone know how many shorts you watched since these have always been included. If you watched fifty shorts this year then I don't want you being left out. The bragging rights, I"m sure, are a joke but you seem to take them serious so I don't want you being left out. Just let us know all the shorts and cartoons you watched this month and we'll include them. I just wasn't aware you had watched so many because you didn't add them to your "Track" list like you do the rest of the year (unless I missed them).

Any once again you imply someone is cheating with this. There are no rules about how someone should watch a movie. Heck, my girlfriend likes to watch movies as she cleans up the house. This would drive me nuts but that's what she likes. We agree about the falling asleep or typing thing but it's an honesty thing we're dealing with here so we trust whatever people put on their list. True, someone could always lie and say they watched five movies on day when they might have just watched one but we're not CSI here and this is all for fun so I'd hope no one would make up titles. Most people seem to hit around the same numbers every year so it would be hard to call anyone out.

The other point are TV shows. Yes, I personally wouldn't include them but I have no problem with someone doing it. I don't mind any type of movie being included and I've no problems if it doesn't really fall into the "horror" genre. This is a Scary Movie Challenge so according to Time Magazine someone could include BAMBI if they wanted.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
oh shit! Half of my movies on my list where watched while typing online and falling asleep!

Travis wins big time now! XD

It's all presonal right? I was going to watch that Roger Corman boxset, as it fits with Drivein movies, which kinda work with the scray genre. But after 10 minutes of "Gas-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s--s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-ss-", I jsut couldn't in good concious put it on the list, so I watched the 2 sure fires (pit and the pendulum, or whatever the poe one was and "X: The Man With X-Ray Eyes" ) from the set and well watch the rest this weekend.

Based on the rules, I could of included them, but like the Godzillas (which oddly enough just seem really Sci-Fi to me, despite me including all types of giant monster movies) it didn't seem right. Same with the one episode of the "Nightmare & Dreamscapes" that was a crime story.

So I think Joe should include all the shorts and stuff. Maybe not the home movies... :P

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
oh, as far as tv shows. I included single story anthologies (60 minute length). An actual series (like all the buffy the v's I watched in the 2006) I would feel wrong including. but thats me. :)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I got the list done so if anyone hasn't posted their final list then please do so. A lot of interesting numbers including all the first time viewings, which is why this thread is so good. You can read reviews of movies you haven't seen and then go watch them the following year.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I managed to get two more viewings in on Halloween while I was gorging myself on chocolate. :D I was determined not to let the month end without seeing these two.

First time viewings in red

16. King Kong (1933). What more can be said about this film? As it is now approaching its 75th anniversary, King Kong remains the giant monster film. Although The Lost World preceded it, and the decades to come would bring a whole zoo of giant lizards, insects, sea creatures, etc., Kong has one thing the others were missing – an immediately recognizable personality which elicits empathy from the viewer. And to think it was all accomplished with primitive, but still impressive, special effects. I would loved to been in a theater in 1933, just to experience an audience’s amazement at what they were seeing on the screen.

17. The Innocents (1961). In memoriam Deborah Kerr. I’m not sure if a modern viewer would persevere with a film like this. It uses atmosphere, subtlety and suggestion to keep you guessing about whether the ghosts of Quint and Miss Jessel are real, or if Miss Giddens is slowly losing her mind. Psychological horror at its best, this is a wonderfully made movie that demonstrates that, whatever his deficiencies as a director, Freddie Francis was one of the finest cinematographers of his generation.

Now that it's all over, I'm disappointed that I was only able to watch half as many films as I did last year. I still have a stack of DVDs that I wasn't able to get around to this time. Well, there's always next year.

I'm going to propose something. There's been talk about trying to do these challenges for different genres over the course of the year. I've had an idea for a film noir/crime/detective/gangster challenge in January, something of a post-holiday palate cleanser. Any interest out there?

My tally.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I laughed. :laugh:

I left a few rolling while I quickly got dinner together. Usually I paused for bathroom breaks or something like that. If I couldn't see the TV then I paused it.

Congrads Travis. Did you off my 16 year old dog so you could win? :angry:

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'd be interested in a Sci-Fi Challenge as well as a Film Noir/Gangster Challenge since I've got dozens of titles in each group that I need to watch. Even if we can't get enough interest we could always do it in one of the other threads. The Noir/Gangster thing might get more people interested that take part in the "Track" threads since a lot of those people watch these films.

Christopher B

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Russell in that it is all personal.

I considered not putting the Something Weird Triple Feature on my list since they are more of a crime drama/thriller/exploitation type of thing. But IMDB included the word horror in the genre so I figured I would include them.

I personally would not include shorts or TV shows, but it doesn't bother me that people do. I watched a few episodes of One Step Beyond, and Tales from the Crypt but I look at it as those aren't movies and this is the scary movie challenge. That is why I didn't include them on my list.

Since I personally would not include that kind of stuff, I thought Joe's list of mock titles was kinda funny. I didn't take it as him saying anyone was cheating, but just having a little fun since he would not count those types of things either.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
2007 Scary Movie Challenge First Viewing Award Show!
Best Silent movie: The Call Of Cthulhu Granted, its easy to win a category that almost no one competes in anymore.

Best Talking Movie: The Changeling The Changeling is now my gold standard for non-Japanese style haunted house movies.

Halloween Hottie Award: Fairuza Balk Whether she's practicing witchcraft in Catholic schoolgirl attire, a belly dancing cat-person, or turning two rival serial killers against each other Fairuza is sure to add some eye candy to your next horror movie.

Halloween Un-Hottie Award: Vincent Price From the time between Bela Lugosi's death and Tim Burton's career exploding Vincent Price was the Halloween king. Sadly he looked like your dad and sounded like your grandpa, and therefor wasn't really bankable outside the genre of "horror movies your dad could star in".

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

The Something Weird titles were brought up on page one or two. Those types of exploitation movies are fine since they would only fit a challenge like this. Even the sexploitation, naziploitation or nunsploitation are fine. Heck, I wouldn't mind people including drugploitation.

As for shorts, they are movies but people seem to throw a fit because, well, their running time. I've said this for the past two years but if we really wanted to be fair on who wins then it would come down to running time and not the total number of movies. I mean, if you only watch movies from the 30s and 40s then the average running time is going to be 60-70 minutes. If you only watch recent stuff then the running time will be 90-100 minutes. With that in mind, I could watch THE APE MAN and RETURN OF THE APE MAN in the same amount of time that it would take someone to watch something like SCREAM. You could watch THE UNKNOWN, FRANKENSTEIN (1910), THE UNDYING MONSTER and another title while in that time span someone else could only get THE SHINING watched.

It would be hard to keep up with a total amount of running times so the number of movies is what sticks out. I think everyone is watching what they want to watch and stuff like THE SEALED ROOM or FRANKENSTEIN can be viewed by everyone, if they want to watch it. With that in mind, everyone is on the same playing field and everyone can watch the same movies. I believe there are six or seven lists with shorts on them and even if they took them off, it wouldn't change the final rankings they are in. Others can debate adding The Twlight Zone or Buffy but I've always felt we judged movies on their quality and not on running times.

Travis is the clear winner this year so he will be taking over the rules with next years challenge so if we want to rewrite them we can discuss the new rules now and he can make any calls that he wants. The original rules are from several years ago and to be honest, the challenge is a lot bigger now with more people and more movies being watched. Perhaps new rules can go up now but I'll throw that one to Travis since he'll be doing the work next year.

It's all about having fun so I doubt many people are too upset with anything that has happened this year. A few shots have been fired but I'm sure Joe, in my case, could say that my viewing habits in this thing are no different than any other month. As I said earlier, everything viewed is available to everyone so no one has been left out or given a disadvantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks