What's new

***Official 8th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge*** (1 Viewer)

SteveS.

Auditioning
I have been looking forward to this for a few months now. I'm glad to be back for my second challenge. According to my fiance, we will only be shooting for the necessary 13 again this year. I'll post a link to last year's challenge along with my first formal post after I officially begin. It all kicks off with "Bug" tonight!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As always, I'm not a critic- I just know what I like but I'm not very good at articulating it.

10/01/07
I decided to kick things off with Dracula (1931). I think the age of this movie actually adds to the atmosphere of it. It's a classic, Bela Lugosi gives an iconic performance and it's one of the most famous movies ever made.

I'm going to watch the golden age classic stuff in chronological order so I get a little more variety and see a progression over time. If I want to hit 100 movies this month, I gotta watch alot more today. :)

EDIT: I watched the Spanish language version of Dracula. I know it's currently fashionable to say that this version is better than Browning's version, I think it is. It's fascinating to see a movie use different actors and a different director on the same sets and script. Although Carlos Villar doesn't old a candle to Bela Lugosi.

My list so far...
1. Dracula (1931)
2. Dracula (Spanish language)

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit
Ratings out of 4 stars:

New viewings in bold

1. 10/1: April Fool's Day :star: :star: 1/2
2. 10/1: Buffy the Vampire Slayer :star: :star:
3. 10/2: Scream :star: :star: :star: :star:
4. 10/3: Scream 2 :star: :star: :star:
5. 10/4: Scream 3 :star: :star: :star:
6. 10/4: My Bloddy Valentine :star: 1/2
7. 10/5: Homicidal :star: :star: :star:
8. 10/6: Delicatessen :star: :star: :star: 1/2
9. 10/6: Plan 9 From Outer Space :star: :star:
10. 10/9: Night of the Ghouls :star:
11. 10/10: I Bury the Living :star: :star: 1/2
12. 10/10: The Stuff :star: :star:
13. 10/11: Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 :star: :star: 1/2
14. 10/12: A Nightmare on Elm Street :star: :star: :star:
15. 10/13: Prom Night :star: :star:
16. 10/15: A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge :star: :star:
17. 10/16: Carnival of Souls :star: :star: :star:
18. 10/18: A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors :star: :star:
19. 10/18: Pan's Labyrinth :star: :star: :star:
20. 10/20: Shaun of the Dead :star: :star: :star: 1/2
21. 10/20: The Tomb of Ligea :star: :star:
22. 10/21: The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) :star: :star: :star: 1/2
23. 10/23: The Wasp Woman :star: 1/2
24. 10/23: The Abominable Dr. Phibes :star: :star: :star:
25. 10/25: The Devil's Rejects :star: :star: :star:
26. 10/25: Brazil :star: :star: :star: :star:
27. 10/26: A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master :star: 1/2
28. 10/27: Blade Runner (DC) :star: :star: :star: 1/2
29. 10/28: A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child :star: :star:
30. 10/29: Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare :star: :star: 1/2
31. 10/30: Wes Craven's New Nightmare :star: :star: :star:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Now that's a classy start! I love the original Dracula, but that Spanish one is some over the top business. Spanish Renfield is amazing!

SHHHHHH!!! Due to Thursdays nights kinda being a write off for me this year (I play Dodge Ball in a league), I'm sneaking movies in on my lunch hour at work. Do I get extra points if I'm fired? :P Anyways, that said, I got in this baby that I haven't seen in a while...

Hellraiser 4/5 : Still a good movie! The gore holds up. It has the Lovecraft vibe working on it with dimensional demons. Nice to know the movie I remembered from years ago is still good!

I'm now pretty jazzed to watch all the Hellraisers this year! I'm sure this well wane by 3, which is the last one I remember watching (and hating :P)

First time watches will be in BLOOD RED!! , and you can see my running tally here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...70&postcount=7

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As always, I'm not a critic- I just know what I like but I'm not very good at articulating it.

10/01/07
I watched Frankenstein (1931). Just like Dracula, what can you say that hasn't been said? Karloff creates one of the most famous characters in history.

I also watched one of my favorite Universal Monster Movies, The Mummy (1932). I love the look of this movie and its pace. It's strange to think that the discovery of Egyptian tombs was a reasonably new topic in 1932.

I may be able to squeeze The Invisible Man in before I go to bed. :) I'm off to a good start and created a good cushion for days when I don't watch as many movies.

My list so far...
1. Dracula (1931)
3. Frankenstein (1931)
4. The Mummy (1932)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am striving this year for most if not all new viewings. I will be including one or two I saw back 20 or more years ago, but those are practically new viewings.

(1) Bug (2007)- :star::star::star::star: / :star::star::star::star::star:

After the severely conflicting opinions I had read and heard about this one, I decided to give it every possible chance, and it really needs it. This is one freaky, metaphorical story of insecurity and outright insanity. In the end, it works for me, but you really have to let go of the literal.

I think it is important to point out Bug is a film adaptation of a play. The adaptation was done by the original author. I'm pointing this out because this is real "stage" material which will be quite different from what a lot of movie watchers are accustomed to. Just as the Film version of Proof did not go over well (It was my favorite of 2005 however) I expect the seriously philosophical and abstract story of Bug to be a real strain for a lot of people. It is way out there.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Travis, your off to a great start! Good stuff to! I love all those films. They're yet to make a Mummy movie as good as that one. and yeah, I am referring to the Brendan Fraser movies, I hated them :P

John, BUG, that's the Friedkin film right? I might have to pick it up. I just got "Cruising", but I don;t think it counts for this... ;)

HELLBOUND : HELLRAISER 2 3.5/5 : Not up to the first one, but still a pretty good continuation of the story. Picks up where the first left off, turns into Lady Hellraiser. Has even more refined gore and it's all pretty damn fine.

I got Hellraiser 3 on..... I'll keep you posted...:S

Tally is here:

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator
First time viewings in orange. 5 Star Scale

2) 10/1 Cult Of The Cobra (1955) :star: :star:1/2
Talky and tame Universal effort that still manages some mild pleasures, thanks to solid acting and production values. A potentially good premise is weakened by the lack of any real suspense or thrills.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Hey Jeff, is that from the best buy exclusive set? I'm crossing my fingers to get that and the horror one before months end from a friend.

And Mario, any chance we can get some mini-reviews out of you? I haven't heard of the movies you watched :D

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Had to sit out last year due to moving but I'm back in for this year. Hoping I can finally break 30 movies in a month this year and I'll try and make time to write about 'em. I have a bunch of stuff lined up at Netflix, and I'm going to try to delve deeply into Hammer, which I've neglected doing for way too long. So I may have some questions about what order I should watch various versions of Dracula and Frankenstein. Going to spot you all at least one day, nothing watched tonight.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Scale: 1=awful 2=bad 3=average 4=good 5=excellent. 1st viewings in red.

Monster Squad (1987):star::star::star::star: "Creature stole my Twinkie™!"

Call Of The Cthulhu (2005):star::star::star::star: Cute lil' film. If this movie were actually made in 1928 horror films today would be very differnt things.

Mimic (1997):star::star::star: Starts off with a good first hour but the final 30 minutes devolves into a ho-hum "run away from the monster" movie, complete with cheese-ball ending.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's the one. Go ahead and give it a try, but I kind of doubt most hardcore horror fans will enjoy it. There is an odd literary aspect to it that doesn't go along with conventional horror. It is also just downright bizarre.

Rick Spruill

Stunt Coordinator
10/1 - Cult of the Cobra (1955) - :star::star:
- Talk, talk, talk - that's about all there is to this rather predictable Universal film. The movie came across to me like a Cat People wannabe, but without the style and atmosphere that made that movie so good.

10/1 - Hillbillys in a Haunted House (1967) - BOMB
- What do you get when you mix a supposed haunted house, loads of country music, aging horror icons, and some ridiculous attempts at humor? You get this mess of a movie. If it weren't for Joi Lansing, I would have turned it off half way through. Watching the movie, I really felt sorry for Carradine, Chaney, and especially Rathbone. To have to appear in a disaster like this.

Official 8th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge Totals

1. Cult of the Cobra
(1955) - :star::star:
2. Hillbillys in a Haunted House (1967) - BOMB

Total - 2
Total 1st Time Viewings - 2

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Kicked off the challenge with, what else, a buncha zombie flicks!

The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988)

Viewed 10/1/2007

Revisited Wes Craven's voodoo thriller that has an American
anthropologist investigating zombies in Haiti. But the undead turn
out to be the least of his worries as he's targeted by an evil
government official! Okay, but nothing special.

:star: :star: 1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Living Dead Lock Up 2: March of the Dead (2006)

Viewed 10/1/2007 (first viewing)

Sequel finds our escaped convict hero holed up in a hospital along
with other zombie apocalypse survivors. Can they find a cure for the
undead plague? Completely low rent and damn near incomprehensible.

:star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Feast of the Dead (2007)

Five buddies try to figure out what to do in a zombie attack.
Watchable, but hardly distinguishable from the zillion other shorts
like it.

:star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Night of the Bums (2007)

Big slice of cheese from indie auteur Charles Cullen (not the serial
killer). Three witches concoct a brew that turns the local bums into
flesh-eating ghouls. Can the chainsmoking mayor and the mysterious
Texas Hangman put a stop to their rampage? Somewhat endearing and
filled with chintzy effects, but there's also a bit too much filler.

Meat Market 3 (2006)

A husband and wife hole up in a house after zombies have taken over the world. But are the undead hordes real or has the wife simply gone mad? Best entry in the series leaves out the goofier aspects from the first two films and blends in elements of the psychological thriller (only at the end are connections with its predecessors made clear). A bit more polish and they might really have had something here.

:star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Deadhunter: Sevillian Zombies (2003)

Guerrilla zombie flick from Spain follows the titular Deadhunters as they to stop an undead invasion. Obviously wants to be another Bad Taste, but lacks the charm. Gotta give 'em credit for making a movie like this without having the budget for blank cartridges (the actors just shake their guns!).

Zombie Xtreme (2004)

Short sequel to Deadhunter has two Deadhunters playing the hottest new game in town: Zombie Extreme (a funhouse filled with the undead)! Pretty much on par with its big brother.

Evil Night (2002)

Short from the director of Deadhunter has four friends on a camping trip attacked by the living dead. Forgettable fare excepting the cheap gore.

Sandro

Second Unit
Out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

10/01 Corruption :star: :star:
10/02 Homicidal :star: :star: 1/2
10/04 Dolls :star: :star: 1/2
10/05 Horror :star: :star: 1/2
10/06 Spider Baby :star: :star: 1/2
10/07 Dead Men Walk :star: 1/2
10/08 The Fog :star: :star:
10/10 St Francisville Experiment :star: :star: 1/2
10/11 Severance :star: :star: 1/2
10/12 The Hunger :star: :star:

10/13 Ladies in Retirement :star: :star: :star:
10/13 House with the Laughing Windows :star: :star: :star: 1/2
10/14 Tales of Terror :star: :star: 1/2
10/14 Bug (2007) :star: :star: :star:
10/18 The Vampire :star: :star: :star:
10/19 Scream of Fear :star: :star: :star:
10/19 Freaks :star: :star: :star: :star:
10/19 Broken :star: :star:
10/20 Return of the Vampire :star: :star:
10/21 Monster Squad :star: :star: :star:

10/24 Satan's Little Helper :star: :star: :star:
10/25 Acacia :star: :star: 1/2
10/25 Night Flier :star: :star: 1/2
10/26 Earth vs the Spider :star: :star:
10/26 Dr Renault's Secret :star: 1/2
10/28 Curse of the Living Corpse :star: :star: 1/2
10/28 13 Ghosts (1960) :star: :star: 1/2
10/28 Tenebrae :star: :star: :star: 1/2
10/29 Phantasm :star: :star: :star:
10/30 Return of the Living Dead :star: :star: 1/2

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't think it's fair to start the competition on the same night as Monday Night Football. :D

I'll try and get started tonight. :P

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

10/01/07
I haven't seen The Invisible Man in probably 15 or 20 years and I really enjoyed it. James Whale was amazingly ahead of his time. I'm sure some people think that Claude Rains may be a little over the top but I thought his performance is very good. Overall, I think this one was a pleasant surprise for me.

My list so far...
1. Dracula (1931)
3. Frankenstein (1931)
4. The Mummy (1932)
5. The Invisible Man

That's just for now. :) Once I'm done with the Universal Monsters and Val Lewton movies, I'll be getting into my usual garbage like Friday The 13th series or A Nightmare On Elm Street series or random 80's slasher movies.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
ha ha, nice Travis! I'm starting with the "classy" Hellraiser series, then I go into the random drive in crap. I was going to do the Nightmare on elm Street series later as a pallet cleanse. :P

Got in one more last night before sleep over taked me:

HELLRAISER 3 : HELL ON EARTH 2.5 : Oh dear. After a couple of good, rather original movies, the series hits all the clichés in the book with this one. Tarty chicks, heavy metal music. Yeash. Poor Pinhead is in a block of art and some dude has to wrangle ladies to feed him souls or some such nonsense.

My running tally:

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Re: Hillbillies in a Haunted House

Yeah, well, I just got The Killbillies. Jealous aintcha?

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Count me in again this year. Last year's 31 was my highest yet, so I guess this year I'll shoot for 32.

I have Bug due to arrive sometime over the next week or so. But, since John liked it, i may just have to skip it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks