*** Official "8 MILE" Review Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Crawford, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "8 Mile". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
    Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
    If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.
    Crawdaddy

2. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

8 Mile is another variation of the "talented kid who pursues a dream but must first prove he/she has the goods to make it only to be held back by the usual conventions of what is considered by society as normal and acceptable and by that person’s economic background" storyline.
    The same has been explored before by such films as Rudy (small guy who wants to play football), Girlfight (a female who wants to make it into boxing) and Billy Elliott (a male who wants to make it into ballet). This time, the story is about a white male who pursues a dream and wants to make it into the predominantly black world of hip-hop music as a rap singer/songwriter.
    What made these previous films work is the strength of the actor playing the main character who aspires to something more than he/she currently has. The same can be said for 8 Mile. The film works primarily because of Eminem who plays “Bunny Rabbit” in addition to all the other elements that director Curtis Hanson brings onto the screen including the film’s look and feel.
    Rabbit’s pursuit of his dreams is somehow contrasted by another character in the film, Alex played by Brittany Murphy, who aspires to make it as a model in New York. While Rabbit wants to succeed by doing everything himself, Alex, on the other hand, goes for the easy way by sleeping her way to the top.
    Kim Basinger plays Rabbit’s mom in a subplot that really doesn’t go anywhere and whose aim is more or less to garner more sympathy to Rabbit’s character and make him more human.
    With 8 Mile, Eminem gives a very convincing and credible performance. Even if he doesn’t make any other films and concentrate only in his musical career from here on out, it would be hard to label 8 Mile as Eminem’s one-hit film.
    8 Mile rates [​IMG] (out of four).
    ~Edwin

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This film is intentionally and unintentionally funny as hell. The ancilliary characters sprinkle in some needed lunacy and levity given the reality of their present socio-economic conditions.

Eminen is actually pretty good playing the main guy with the talent to break out of trailer park living with his talent for instantaneous rap monologues that serve to cut the heart of the matter in different circumstances throughout the film. It's a story we've seen many times before, but it's done well enough to keep the audience engaged and mostly sympathetic with Eminen's character of Rabbit.

The supporting cast is good and they blend into the story well. I'm starting to enjoy seeing Brittany Murphy on the big screen, she's just quirky enough to hold your attention. Kim Basinger doesn't have a whole lot to do, but has a couple of funny lines.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I thought 8 Mile was a good film and I enjoyed more than a few of the performances in the film. Such as Eminen, Murphy, Basinger and Phifer. I also enjoyed the sound track which I just might have to buy even though I'm not a big fan of rap music. A good solid message film that really didn't have a nice fairy tale happy ending. All the major characters were flawed, but they had some good attributes as well.

Crawdaddy