What's new

***Official 7th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge*** (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Got done with work early and got my first one in today...
Creep - I was pretty excited about this film after hearing a positive review from Scott Weinberg a couple of years ago, but came away disappointed. Needless to say, Raw Meat is still my favorite London Underground inspired horror movie. There were some fairly well executed "horror moments" in Creep...but overall the plot so was contrived and devoid of logic, I just didn't care. Oh well, after some football, I'll try to watch something better.

Oh, and for lower thread count (and size) it looks like we'll be keeping our list in one specific post. That's fine with me. If you'd like to link to said post at the bottom of your addition posts so we can all easily access your list/ratings/etc, that would be good.

2006 Scary Movie List

1. Creep (2/5)
2. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (4/5)
3. Hostel (4/5)
4. Halloween 4 (3/5)
5. Halloween 5 (1/5)
6. Friday the 13th Part VIII (.5/5)
7. Freddy vs. Jason (.5/5)
8. Children of the Corn (2.5/5)
9. The Fly (4.5/5)
10. Halloween 8 (.5/5)
11. Hellraiser (4.5/5)
12. Friday The 13th Part II (2/5)
13. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part II (3.5/5)
14. The Exorcist (4.5/5)
15. The Exorcist III (3.5/5)
16. Child's Play (2/5)
17. Scream 3 (2/5)
18. Shaun of the Dead (4.5/5)
19. Friday the 13th Part IV (3/5)

MichaelGH

Stunt Coordinator
October 1, 2006
1. Freaks (1932)
I have seen this film many times since I was young and enjoy it more every time I think. The scene in the rain at the end is very effective for its time I think.
2. Even Dwarfs Started Small (1970)
This movie I've only seen half way through before. This time I made it all the way through, but can't say I really enjoyed it. Some interesting visuals but overall pretty boring to me.
3. Red Dragon (2002)
Did not see this one when it came out. I actually enjoyed Anthony Hopkins 'Hannibal' scenes better than in the movie 'Hannibal' However, the rest of the movie did seem either like standard pot boiler or just like 'Silence of the Lambs' Probably won't watch again.
4. Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Always a favorite film. So much more skillfully made on all counts than either Hannibal or Red Dragon. It is the only one I believe bears repeat viewings.

October 2, 2006
5. Dracula (1931)
I can't even count how many times I've seen this movie over the years. It still has some pretty effective elements I think even if Bela's performance has been imitated so much over the years that it may have lost some of its power to frighten. I personally think the 'lack' of a score to the film enhances the fear felt while watching the film (Browning never really got used to talkies). Terrific film.
6. Return of the Vampire (1944)
I'm pretty sure I've never caught this one before although it's hard to tell considering how forgettable the film is despite Bela's last turn as the count. Not really any kind of spooky or frightening scenes in this film at all. The WWII references are rather jarring.
7. The Giant Spider Invasion (1975) - MST3K
My God...My God...My God...words cannot describe the depts of depravity this movie would sink to. I think I saw this when it first aired on MST3K but I really remembered nothing about it so it was like watching it for the first time. Very funny comments from the MST3K crew to make this movie palatable.

October 3, 2006
8. Frankenstein (1931)
Again, one I've seen many times although not since the first dvd came out. Never loses its power to thrill.
9. The Masque of the Red Death (1964)
As a kid, I stumbled upon the Roger Corman Edgar Allan Poe adaptations and fell in love with them, this one most of all. They may not be much like the stories, but I find them EXTREMELY entertaining.
10. Premature Burial (1962)
Another Corman Poe adaptation, this time starring Ray Milland instead of Price. This was my first time viewing this one as I had never heard of it before the MGM double feature disc came out. It's a bit hard viewing Milland here as he seems wrong for the role, but otherwise it's a fairly effective little film. Best viewed fater some of the other films in the series though.
11. Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) - MST3K
This film is widely recognized as the worst movie MST3K ever showed as well as their funniest episode. However, I think I would enjoy the awefulness of this movie with or without the jokes. Torgo and his big knees have got to be one of my favorite henchmen ever in cinema. A great deal of fun though not very frightening.

October 4, 2006
12. Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
I find it fascinating that the bride, who was in the film all of 2 minutes, has had her image indelibly imprinted upon cinema history. Very entertaining film, but I have always given the edge to the first film in my opinion. I like dwight frye's fritz better than his karl. I like karloff's innocence in the first film better than his corruption in the second. Still wonderful movies.
13. The Invisible Man (1933)
This has always been my favorite of the Universal classics. Claue Rains is zany yet terrifying as the drug eats away at his sanity.
14. Lair of the White Worm (1988)
Not too familiar with '80s horror films so I hadn't seen this one before although I always meant to. Not that great, sfx and graphics were pretty aweful, but it gave us quite a few chuckles...although I felt creepy watching the boyscout bathing/biting scene.

October 5, 2006
15. The Raven (1935)
I absolutely love this film. Bela really hams it up with his mad doctor routine. It has some of my favorite quotes although its Poe backdrop is somewhat silly.
16. The Hunger (1983)
I had never seen this one before but always meant to since Bowie is in it. A bit too slow and somewhat confusing storyline don't detract overly much from a film I found highly stylized and sensual. Highly enjoyable.

October 6, 2006
17. Cat People (1982)
Never saw this remake of the original Val Lewton classic. The original is one of my all time favorite horror pics, but I also am a big Malcolm McDowell fan. Unfortunately, I found this film to be very tough to slog through. Plenty of nudity, some gore, and ineffective attempts at maintaining a sensual mood throughout the pic. Will stick with the original from now on.
18. Werewolf (1996) - MST3K
This is a pretty aweful movie but it's pretty fun. Plenty of bad accents, bad makeup, and terrible dialogue. Kind of puts me off wanting to visit Flagstaff, however.
19. The Devil and Daniel Webster (1941)
My all-time favorite horror film. I absolutely adore Simone Simon; she spooks the heck out of me. Walter Huston as the devil is wonderful fun...the film can be a bit too heavy handed at times, but I find the supernatural elements effective.
20. Samson VS. the Vampire Women (1962)
For some reason, I love watching this mexican wrestling film. But then again, who doesn't like Mexican wrestling films featuring vampire women!

October 7, 2006
21. The Bad Seed (1956)
I've only seen a handful of scenes from this movie ver the years so I finally sat down and watched it. This film is terrific fun. The little girl is only has two modes: angelic and screaming. So far, this is my favorite unseen film from this season.
22. Return of the Living Dead (1985)
I never saw this one as I always was under the impression that it was TOO gory for my sensibilities, but really turned out not to be as bloody as I thought it would be (at least by today's sensibilities). Often silly at times, but turned out to be pretty fun.
23. The Amazing Colossal Man (1957) - MST3K
A few memorably bad quotes and a weak plot can't save this film about a plutonium bomb blast turning a man into a giant.
24. The Evil Dead (1981) w/ Bruce Campbell commentary
While some people insist that this film is just as much a comedy as the two films that would follow, I have always seen this as a very hardcore horror title with a very nice Lovecraftian flair. Not even Anchor Bay can dilute my enjoyment of this film and series.
25. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
Filmed during the McCarthy era, this film is full of paranoia where noone is what he or she seems. Everyone is slightly 'off'. I haven't seen this movie since I was very young, but I still enjoyed it.
26. Re-Animator (1985)
I've come to really like Combs as an actor since I first viewed this film. Most of the comedic aspects are somewhat lost on me, but I still enjoy watching this film as their are few good adaptations of HP Lovecraft's tales of the macabre.

October 8, 2006
27. Rosemary's Baby (1968)
I'd heard many recommendations for this film over the years but had never seen it til now. Not to engender any enmity, but I just didn't care for it much as a horror film until the very end. I don't mind slow, psychological thrillers; perhaps I just wasn't expecting what I got. I prefer the Omen, even if it is a called a knock-off of by admirers of this film. I'll probably retry it in a few years' time.
28. Village of the Damned (1960)
I've always found this film very creepy although it's probably pretty tame by today's standards. Those eyes and bad haircuts creep me out.

October 9, 2006
29. Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
Great movie. Still don't know why I detested Corpse Bride so much, but at least there's this film...gotta love Sandy Claws

October 10, 2006
30. Haxan: Withcraft Through the Ages (1922)
Not entirely sure how I feel about this film. It had interesting visuals but I was never aware that Nuns ran around in hysteria very often...
31. The Black Cat (1934)
Always love Karloff & Lugosi even when Lugosi is overly dramatic as he is in this film. Not related to the POE story at all, I was quite entertained throughout the short running-time.
32. The Omen (1976)
I've seen this one a lot over the years and I still greatly enjoy everything about it. Harvey Stephens is understated most of the time except when he's freaking out. His smiles and his little wave are terrifying. A believable son of Satan.
33. Devil Doll (1964) - MST3K
All I want to know is when does Hugo get to eat some Ham!

October 11, 2006
34. Theatre of Blood (1973)
Vincent Price at his hammy best. Price clearly is the glue that holds this picture together. I can't imagine any other actor making this movie in the least watchable. Great film.
35. Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932)
I watch this one because it has Bela in it. To be honest, I am usually pretty bored by this film.
36. Damien: Omen II (1978)
I've only seen scenes from this movie over the years but hadn't sat down to watch it in full. This movie drags more than the first one, Jerry Goldsmith's score doesn't compare to the first movie at all. I liked Damien's acting, but William Holden looked like he couldn't wait to escape to a different movie. Average, but enjoyable follow-up.

October 12, 2006
37. The Pit and the Pendulum (1961)
Not as good as my favorite, The Masque of the Red Death, but still Vincent Price is always enjoyable doing Poe. Very good movie.
38. The Fall of the House of Usher (1960)
Hardly recognized Price in this one without his moustache. I was actually a little bit bored watching this entry in the Poe series compared to 'masque of the red death' and 'the pit and the pendulum' Still love the atmosphere though.
39. The Invisible Ray (1936)
Always enjoyable to watch Karloff, and Lugosi was great as his 'sidekick' Although I hate the introduction that 'there are some things man was never meant to know'...guess I need to find a good mad scientist's lair
40. Tale of Two Sisters (2003)
The synopsis of this film as well as the cover intrigued me initially; however, I left the film feeling disatisfied. I didn't find it particularly creepy and I wasn't entirely sure what was going on through much of it. I may still revisit this one at a later time though.

October 13, 2006
41. The Exorcist (1973) w/ Commentary
Still as scary as ever..love some of the demon make-up.

October 15, 2006
42. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things (1972)
This one was really only average for me. I liked the buildup of atmosphere at the beginning but I think it went on too long before any of the actual zombies showed up. Didn't really like any of the characters or the cheesy score.
43. Phenomena (1985)
This was my first Dario Argento experience. Not too gory for my sensibilities at least although I don't really like creepy crawly maggots. The movie was pretty creepy but dragged a bit in spots. Still, I enjoyed it enough to try another argento out.
44. I Walked With A Zombie (1943)
Always been a big fan of Val Lewton films since I first saw Cat People as a young boy. Even now that is one of my top horror films of all time. I really enoy watching this movie also. It's very cerebral but manages to invoke a feeling of dread even though you know it's all superstition. Very effective film.

October 16, 2006
45. The Body Snatcher (1945)
I think this may be Boris Karloff's best role. He plays a very believable, human monster here which makes him scarier than in his most famous role.

October 20, 2006
46. Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005)
Didn't find this movie as interesting as I was led to believe. I tend to take it the wrong way when movie characters tell us to disregard facts and scientific theories in favor of superstition as blatantly as this one does. If a movie is about a conflict of faith, I can deal with it but if the movie takes place in a forum that deals with facts ( a trial) and asks that decisions be made on the basis of superstition, it annoys me. Wasn't too scary anyway.
47. Black Christmas (1974)
I liked this one a lot more than I thought I would. I found the movie quite hilarious in spots (in a good way) and genuinely put me on the edge of my seat in points.
48. The Other (1972)
Love this film. Very glad it's finally on dvd although I think the dvd description gives away the big revelation of the film. The kid in this is really good at alternating between sweet and creepy.
49. The Mummy (1959)
I've only seen a handful of Hammer films up to now and hadn't seen this one before. I always like Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee; however, this movie goes pretty slowly and meanders just a bit in the narrative which I think is a failing in the other Hammer films I have seen so far. Still enjoyable and atmospheric.

October 21, 2006
50. Black Sunday (1960)
Not quite as great as I was expecting though enjoyable. Just a tad too hokey for me, especially the bat puppet at the beginning...a tad overacted.
51. 3X3 Eyes: Immortals (1991)
This is probably my favorite anime of all time. It's a 4 episode OAV...not a movie, but not a tv series either (more like a direct to video mini-series). All four episodes make up one story and have enough blood and horror to certainly qualify.

October 22, 2006
52. 3X3 Eyes: Legend of the Divine Demon (1995)
There seemed to be less of an animation budget with this second OVA series and it seemed a bit more Shoujo than the first OVA. I still enjoy it but not quite as much as the Immortals OVA.

October 23, 2006
53. Hellraiser (1987)
Very nifty concept in this movie. Unfortunately, the daughter's acting is really aweful in this movie. Kept waiting for some semblance of thought or emotion in her face.

October 26, 2006
54. The Man Who Changed His Mind (1936)
Thought this one was pretty hokey...boris was the only one who even appeared to be trying to say his dialogue well...not very interesting really although I always like movies with monkey(s)

October 29, 2006
55. Videodrome (1983)
I've been meaning to watch this one for years and years but never did for some reason. Now that I have, I really enjoyed it through and through. The reality tv aspect of the show definitely resonates a bit more now than it would have with me 10 years ago.
56. Dead of Night (1974)
Seems I've been catching up on a lot of Bob Clark movies this season. I rather liked this one...always a fan of 'the monkey's paw' type stories. I liked the social commentary aspect of this 'horror' film dealing with the difficulty encountered by Vietnam vets attempting to reintegrate with the life they left behind. Bob Clark was really very good at building up suspense even if his movies aren't always completely satisfying.
57. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Saw this one for the first time today. Enjoyed it pretty well...normally I'm not much for the scream queens...however, I thought hte last 10 minutes effectively used this technique to great advantage.

Michael

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
1. 10/01/06:MISTERIOS DE ULTRATUMBA aka THE BLACK PIT OF DR. M(Fernando Mendez, 1958)*** -DVD{First Viewing}

2. 10/02/06:DAUGHTER OF DR. JEKYLL(Edgar G. Ulmer 1957)** -VHS{First Viewing}

3. 10/03/06: EL ESPEJO DE LA BRUJA aka THE WITCH'S MIRROR (Chano Urueta, 1960) *** - DVD {First Viewing}

4. 10/04/06: MUNECOS INFERNALES aka THE CURSE OF THE DOLL PEOPLE (Benito Alazraki, 1961) **1/2 - DVD {First Viewing}

5. 10/05/06:LA MALDICION DE LA LLORONA aka THE CURSE OF THE CRYING WOMAN(Rafael Baledon, 1961)*** -DVD{First Viewing}

6. 10/06/06:LONG WEEKEND(Colin Eggleston, 1978)*** -DVD Rental{First Viewing}

7. 10/07/06:EL BARON DEL TERROR aka THE BRAINIAC(Chano Urueta, 1962)** -DVD{First Viewing}
8. 10/07/06:LA HORRIPILANTE BESTIA HUMANA aka NIGHT OF THE BLOODY APES(Rene Cardona, 1969)** -DVD{First Viewing}

9. 10/08/06:NIGHT OF THE BLOODY APES [Alternate U.S. Version Of LA HORRIPILANTE BESTIA HUMANA](Rene Cardona, 1969)** -DVD [Dubbed In English]{Second Viewing; First In This Guise}
10. 10/08/06:CAT PEOPLE(Jacques Tourneur, 1942)***1/2 -DVD{Fourth Viewing}

11. 10/09/06:I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE(Jacques Tourneur, 1943)***1/2 -DVD{Third Viewing}

12. 10/10/06:THE LEOPARD MAN(Jacques Tourneur, 1943)*** -DVD{Second Viewing}

13. 10/11/06:THE SEVENTH VICTIM(Mark Robson, 1943)***1/2 -DVD{Second Viewing}

14. 10/12/06:THE GHOST SHIP(Mark Robson, 1943)*** -DVD{Second Viewing}
15. 10/12/06:THE SERPENT AND THE RAINBOW(Wes Craven, 1988)**1/2 -DVD Rental{First Viewing}
16. 10/12/06:FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2(Steve Miner, 1981)BOMB -DVD Rental{First Viewing}

17. 10/13/06:THE CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE(Gunther V. Fritsch and Robert Wise, 1944)***1/2 -DVD{Third Viewing}
18. 10/13/06:THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS(Wes Craven, 1991)**1/2 -DVD Rental{First Viewing}
19. 10/13/06:FRIDAY THE 13TH PART III(Steve Miner, 1982)*1/2 -DVD Rental{First Viewing}

20. 10/14/06:THE BODY SNATCHER(Robert Wise, 1945)**** -DVD{Fourth Viewing}

21. 10/15/06:ISLE OF THE DEAD(Mark Robson, 1945)***1/2 -DVD{Third Viewing}
22. 10/15/06:RAZOR BLADE SMILE(Jake West, 1998)** -DVD Rental{First Viewing}
23. 10/15/06:LAKE PLACID(Steve Miner, 1999)*** -DVD Rental{First Viewing}

24. 10/16/06:BEDLAM(Mark Robson, 1946)*** -DVD{Third Viewing}

25. 10/17/06:SHADOWS IN THE DARK: THE VAL LEWTON LEGACY (TV)(Constantine Nasr, 2005)*** -DVD Extra {Short}{First Viewing}

26. 10/18/06:CURSE OF THE DEMON [Edited U.S. Version Of NIGHT OF THE DEMON](Jacques Tourneur, 1957)***1/2 -DVD{Third Viewing; First In This Guise}
27.10/18/06:DEEP BLUE SEA(Renny Harlin, 1999)** -DVD Rental{First Viewing}

28. 10/19/06:NIGHT OF THE DEMON(Jacques Tourneur, 1957)**** -DVD{Fourth Viewing; Third In This Guise}
29. 10/19/06:FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE FINAL CHAPTER(Joseph Zito, 1984)BOMB -DVD Rental{First Viewing}

30. 10/20/06:THE OLD DARK HOUSE(James Whale, 1932)**** -DVD {Fifth Viewing}
31. 10/20/06:FROM DUSK TILL DAWN(Robert Rodriguez, 1996)**1/2 -DVD Rental{First Viewing}
32. 10/20/06:FRIDAY THE 13TH: A NEW BEGINNING(Danny Steinmann, 1985)*1/2 -DVD Rental{First Viewing}

33. 10/21/06:HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL(William Malone, 1999)** -DVD Rental{First Viewing}

34. 10/22/06:THE CAT AND THE CANARY (Paul Leni, 1927)***1/2 -DVD{Second Viewing}
35. 10/22/06:JASON LIVES: FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VI aka FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VI: JASON LIVES(Tom McLoughlin, 1986)***1/2 -DVD Rental{First Viewing}

36. 10/23/06:THE MAN WHO LAUGHS(Paul Leni, 1928)**** -DVD{Second Viewing}
37. 10/23/06:FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VII - THE NEW BLOOD(John Carl Buechler, 1988)*1/2 -DVD Rental{First Viewing}

38. 10/24/06:DAS WACHSFIGURENKABINETT aka WAXWORKS(Paul Leni, 1924)*** -DVD{Second Viewing}
39.10/24/06:THE OMEN(John Moore, 2006)** -DVD Rental{First Viewing}

40. 10/25/06:TOWER OF LONDON(Rowland V. Lee, 1939)*** -DVD{First Viewing}
41. 10/25/06:NIGHT KEY(Lloyd Corrigan, 1937)**1/2 -DVD{First Viewing}

42. 10/26/06:THE CLIMAX(George Waggner, 1944)**1/2 -DVD{First Viewing}
43. 10/26/06:THE STRANGE DOOR(Joseph Pevney, 1951)**1/2 -DVD{First Viewing}

44. 10/27/06: THE BLACK CASTLE (Nathan Juran, 1952) **1/2 - DVD {First Viewing}
45. 10/27/06: THE BLACK ROOM (Roy William Neill, 1935) ***1/2 - DVD {Second Viewing}

46. 10/28/06:THE MAN THEY COULD NOT HANG(Nick Grinde`, 1939)**1/2 -DVD{First Viewing}
47. 10/28/06:BEFORE I HANG(Nick Grinde`, 1940)**1/2 -DVD{First Viewing}
48. 10/28/06:SILENT HILL(Christophe Gans, 2006)** -DVD Rental{First Viewing}
49. 10/28/06:HOUSE OF THE DAMNED(Maury Dexter, 1963)**1/2 -DVD{First Viewing}
50. 10/28/06:THE SWARM [Extended Version](Irwin Allen, 1978)** -DVD Rental{Third Viewing; First In This Guise}
51. 10/28/06:INSIDE 'THE SWARM' (TV)(Andrew J. Kuehn, 1978)** -DVD Extra {Short}{First Viewing}

52. 10/29/06:THE FLESH AND THE FIENDS aka MANIA and THE FIENDISH GHOULS [U.K. Version](John Gilling, 1959)*** -DVD{First Viewing}
53. 10/29/06:CALLING DR. DEATH(Reginald LeBorg, 1943)**1/2 -DVD{First Viewing}
54. 10/29/06:WEIRD WOMAN(Reginald LeBorg, 1944)**1/2 -DVD{First Viewing}
55. 10/29/06:DEAD MAN'S EYES(Reginald LeBorg, 1944)** -DVD{First Viewing}

56. 10/30/06:THE FROZEN GHOST(Harold Young, 1945)**1/2 -DVD{First Viewing}
57. 10/30/06:STRANGE CONFESSION aka THE MISSING HEAD(John Hoffman, 1945)**1/2 -DVD{First Viewing}
58. 10/30/06:PILLOW OF DEATH (Wallace Fox, 1945)** -DVD{First Viewing}
59. 10/30/06:FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VIII: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN(Rob Hedden, 1989)*1/2 -DVD Rental{First Viewing}

60. 10/31/06:HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION(Rick Rosenthal, 2002)*1/2 -DVD Rental{First Viewing}
61. 10/31/06:TRILOGY OF TERROR (TV)(Dan Curtis, 1975)*** -DVD{First Viewing}
62. 10/31/06:THE FLESH AND THE FIENDS aka MANIA and THE FIENDISH GHOULS [Continental Version](John Gilling, 1959)*** -DVD{Second Viewing; First In This Guise}

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm in...

First time viewings in bold

10/1
1) Alien - My first time with the DC and the first viewing in quite a few years. Doesn't scare me like it did the first time in the theater, when I was 14. Still, it blazed so many trails, even if one of them was the degradation of Sci-Fi into Horror/Action.
4.5/5

2) The Haunting - 1963: I know this is considered a classic of horror and is also a fave of Mod Jack Briggs, but as much as I like psychological horror, it still leaves me flat.
2.5/5

3) The People Under the Stairs - For the last couple weeks I have been wanting to revisit Wes Craven's profoundly twisted tale of a couple living in a huge house, who are holding several children captive, one of whom has gotten loose and is being a general pest roaming around inside the walls. This is a truly dark comedy with a couple seriously cringe-inducing moments.
4/5

"Your father is a real sick mother, you know that?
Actually, your mother is a real sick mother too."

10/3
4) The Killer Shrews - Dug into my 50 movie Horror set with this no budget thrill-less, horror-less flick from 1959, starring James Best and Sydney Lumet's father, among a few others. A group of people is "trapped" on an island during a hurricane, in which the wind hardly blows. Unfortunately, Sidney's father plays a scientist who has created a killer breed of giant shrews (the rodent type, not the ex-wife type) and they must go through all sorts of absurd things to escape. Basically what you would expect from a 50 movie DVD set that costs $16.
1/5, though rates fairly high on the camp scale.

10/4
5) The Fly - Watched David Cronenberg's revisit of the classic for the first time in nearly 20 years. Doesn't hold up quite as well as I might hope, but that wasn't a surprise. Kind of amusing to see Jeff Goldblum honing the ranting scientist schtick which would treat him so well for many years to come. He never turned it up quite as far as he did here, though. Pleasant reminder of Geena Davis' sex kitten days as well.
3/5

6) White Zombie - Finally watched the 1932 classic. All these old horror flicks are positively quaint by modern standards, yet most modern horror still fails to actually be scary. I can't help wondering how radical the zombie idea was over 70 years ago. There sure were a lot of movies about them back then. In the end, Bela Lugosi contributes copious amounts of hamming for the camera and love conquers all. We also learn that shooting a zombie just doesn't have much of an effect. Good, campy fun is had by all.
3/5

10/5
7) Black Sunday (aka, The Mask of Satan) - I can see why the horror freaks like this one so much. It is an interesting blend of the classic Universal horrors which preceded it and the Giallos which would follow. Nice twists and great atmosphere and cinematography mixed with a decent story. Not "scary" by modern standards, but a fine movie all together. I'm not entirely certain, but I think this is the first Bava film I've seen
4/5

8) Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter - Certainly one of the more odd Hammer entries. We have a vampire hunter, his hunchback, professor assistant, various buddies (including the luscious Caroline Munro) and some generations old mysteries. Didn't seem as odd the second time around.
3/5

10/6
9) Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde: 1920 - After being made to feel ashamed about his goodness, the benevolent Dr. Jeckyll (John Barrymore) concocts a potion to bring out his evil side in the form of Mr. Hyde. Unfortunately, soon after, the pesky Hyde keeps showing up on his own at the most inopportune times and things go tragically wrong, several times. Barrymore is absolutely fabulous, particularly in the Hyde incarnation. A real top notch piece of silent horror. One interesting thing I noticed is that even though Hyde is not the most pleasant sight to behold, nobody gives him a second look.

Special note: The version in my 50 movie horror pack has a comically unsuitable soundtrack (can't identify it specifically, but it sounds like either Haydn or Handel) which often seems to hit peaks of joy right as the worst things are happening. Obviously, it was just grabbed from a recording with no consideration to how it fit the subject matter.
4/5

10) The Ring - This movie didn't exactly strike me the first time around. I got too caught up in the perception it was just an elaborate copy of The Changeling. I know, it's based on a Japanese "original" but I find it hard to believe The Changeling wasn't a major inspiration for Ringu. Anyway, I've watched it a couple times since, and I think it is one of the better, modern American horror flicks. Good atmosphere and genuine dread and not too many loud "trying to make you jump" tricks. The horse scene still seriously gives me the creeps in many different ways.
3.5/5

10/7
11) A Bucket of Blood - A wimp busboy at a 50s Beatnik cafe dreams of being part of the "in" crowd. A fantasy which comes true when he accidentally kills his landlady's cat, encases it in clay and becomes a bit of a phenomena among the snob "creative" types whose tables he used to clear. He soon moves on to larger subject matter, which causes certain problems. A fun, early Corman flick starring Dick Miller.
3/5

12) Dracula's Daughter - Shortly after Prof. Van Helsing stakes her father, Dracula's daughter shows up looking for his body. She is hoping his death, if it actually happened, will release her from his curse. Pretty typical fare for Universal of the time. Interesting aspects, but not especially eventful.
3/5

13) Maléfique - French thriller has four men sharing a prison cell when they discover the journal of a previous inmate from 1920. They soon discover the journal is filled with magic spells and believe it will enable them to escape. Nicely done, low budget talky flick. Doesn't quite live up to its potential. This is the type of movie that snobs like to tout as proof American films are always inferior to foreign ones, when it ends up being more unfulfilled potential than anything and lets them feel superior because they can be pretty certain nobody they tell about it will have seen it. Kind of an updated version of The Monkey's Paw.
3/5

14) Trouble Every Day - This erotic slice of arthouse weirdness from filmmaker Claire Denis seems to present love, lust, sex and the often accompanying inability to become genuinely intimate as entirely consuming, in the Alferd Packer sense of the word. Then again, maybe it is just an excuse to have people get together, shag, and then eat each other. Typically blood and sex isn't a very appealing combination, but it does make an impression. Typical arthouse slowness.
3/5

10/9
15) Frankenstein: 1931 - Wonderful, classic Universal horror flick. Enough has been said about it, but I have one major point to add. It has absolutely no understanding or respect for Mary Shelley's brilliant novel and probably began a 75 year bastardization of it. Very few versions since have made the slightest effort to do it right, but the 2004 version with William Hurt does a pretty good job.
4/5

10/10
16) The Black Pit of Dr. M - Why do foreign movies get absurd English titles so often? The literal translation is more like Mysteries from Beyond. OK, that title sucks too. This is my first venture into Mexi-Horror, that is other than the more modern ones like Cronos. A doctor dies, and has made a pact with a colleague to get back to him and let him know how to get to the afterlife and return. Beyond that, it doesn't make a lot of sense. The dead doc seems pissed about something, because he appears to cause trouble for those still alive. In the end, this movie was quite melodramatic in a soap opera way. Neat atmosphere, but otherwise didn't do too much for me.
2/5

17) The Last House on the Left - I figured I'd visit the "Revenge Trilogy" of this one, Chaos and The Virgin Spring, which I have already seen. After Last House I'm not sure I want to go on. Four sickos torment, torture and murder two girls and then find themselves staying the night in one of the girls' houses. The parents find out what they have done and get down to business. All I can say is, do people actually like to watch this stuff? I know they do, and I'll reserve comment on what type of psyche it must require to actually enjoy them. This is Wes Craven's adaptation of Ingmar Bergman's The Virgin Spring, which I have to say, I'm not that fond of either, but it's a hell of a lot more meaningful than this one.
0.5/5

10/11
18) Ginger Snaps Back - The final installment in the Ginger Snaps series is, in my opinion, the best of the bunch. Where the original used lycanthropy as an analogy for teen hormones and Unleashed (my least favorite) as drug addiction, this one goes for more mainstream, gothic horror, though it takes plenty of jabs at religious fundamentalism. Jump back to 1815, and Ginger and Bridgette are wandering through the mountains of Western Canada (yeah, I know, just go with it) when they come upon a remote outpost. Turns out it is surrounded by werewolves, supplies have not come through as expected and the inhabitants are getting a bit edgy. Katharine Isabelle is as saucy as ever as Ginger and the whole story is just fun, and surprisingly, the least gooey of the series.
4/5

19) May - Now this, folks, is my kind of horror flick. One of the most innovative Frankenstein adaptations I have ever seen exchanges the egomaniacal doctor for an outcast young woman who finally decides to try making some friends. Unfortunately, she discovers that no matter how much parts of the people she meets appeal to her, other parts are disappointing. You get where this is going? the deliberate pace may not to to some people's taste. It's just effectively setting up May's frustration in preparation for the fabulous, darkly funny, and unconventional finale. In the end, there is plenty of blood, but this is a real character driven horror flick. Also, Anna Faris adds the type of femo-erotic factor that is usually reserved for vampire flicks.
4.5/5
This is weird, May.
You like weird
Not that weird

20) Resident Evil - Revisited a personal guilty pleasure. Evil corporations, paramilitary mercinaries, zombies and Milla. What could be better?
Movie rating: 3/5
cheesy fun rating: 5/5

10/12
21) Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter - I was tempted to watch this last week, but decided not to. After Steve G watched it, I figured what the hell. I was half expecting to keep falling asleep, a problem I have been having with a lot of these movies, but it was actually one of the most engrossing movies I have seen so far in this challenge. Engrossing because it is so unbelievably cheesy. I chuckled a lot.
Movie rating: 2/5
Cheese factor: 4/5

10/13
22) The Woods - A girl is deposited in a remote boarding school and immediately begins having terrible nightmares. This is like Jane Eyre meets The Village, only a lot worse. Unfortuantely, Lucky McKee's followup to the outstanding May is a crappy mess of absurd crappycrap, crap, crap. Did I mention this is a bad movie?
1/5

10/14
Two real treasures so far today.

23) Paperhouse - This nifty little British flick involves a young girl who discovers she can escape into a fantasy world created in drawings she makes. It simply starts off as an empty house and she gradually adds extra elements, trying to fix things she gets wrong the first time around. Soon, she starts believing the drawings are affecting the real world. Wonderful little psychological bit that is sadly little known. The ending is a bit mushier than I care for.
3.5/5

24) The Cell - What can I say, sometimes Ebert gets it so right from the start. It took me 2 or 3 viewings to fully appreciate how great this film is. And I mean great in a way that should never apply to horror. Jennifer Lopez plays a psychiatrist who specializes in helping the hopeless, with the aid of a device which allows her to essentially enter their minds. Meanwhile, a psychotic killer is capturing women, locking them in a chamber where they are tormented for 40 hours and then killed. Just as the Feds are closing in on the killer, he suffers a massive seizure and goes into a chronic vegetative state. Enter Jenny-from-the-block to merge with him and find the location of his latest victim before the cycle is completed and she dies.

I think a lot of people were so blinded by the almost overwhelming visual style of this film they missed out on what was really going on. You could remove all the depth, chartacterization, duality and surreal visuals and you would still be left with a far better than average slasher flick. As it is, The Cell is intense, profoundly character driven and entirely engrossing, plus it is just COOL to look at. I think on the first viewing I was a bit overwhelmed by it all and it took another viewing to really soak it all in. This is, quite likely, the best horror film I have ever seen, but be aware, while it is not as "extreme" as the most gory horror movies made these days, it is rather disturbing.
5/5

25) Flatliners - I actually saw this one in the theater and it has always been a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. The critical thing is to just "go with it" because it is so absolutely freaking absurd. A bunch of medical students decide to stop their hearts and get revived in search of the meaning of life or some damn thing. Never mind that people are revived every day, so it's nothing new, and never mind that the medical school they attend is actually an art museum. Anyway, in the past I've always done a lot of chuckling watching this flick. I mean, for anyone who has never seen it, it's outrageously absurd in so many way. However, it does have a pretty decent message and delivers some genuinely creepy moments, if you allow yourself to get into it. It is also the first screen appearance of übercutie Hope Davis, so it has that going for it. I just didn't get into it this time...
3/5 if only for the camp factor.

10/16
26) Angel Heart - I saw this in the theater when it originally came out and have probably only seen it once in its entirety since. It's impact has gradually declined over the last 20 years. It also doesn't hold up as well as some others when you know "what is going on". Still, nice atmosphere and especially nice juicy bits. I've always like the "altered perception" aspect.
3/5

10/17
27) The Omen: 2006 - Sure, the obvious question is, Why? Still, it was decent enough, didn't have too many demons in the mirror and sound queues, though just one is probably too many for my tastes. Has enough respect for the original and does ramp up certain scenes nicely, particularly the finale. Admit it, you're all wondering how a certain character is going to lose his head. Sucker didn't even see it coming. Excellent cast.
3.5/5

28) Eyes Without a Face - Interesting B&W French thriller involves a doctor who is consumed with guilt for having a car accident in which his daughter basically lost her face. Now he finds young women, imprisons them and removes their faces in an effort to restore his daughter's looks. Interesting idea and some good moments, but was a bit of a disappointment in the end. The ending was a bit too easy.
3.5/5

10/18
29) eXistenZ
"My dog brought me this"

It's some time in the not too distant future and gaming has reached the virtual reality level. You no longer simply play a game, but live it, by "jacking in" through a port installed directly into your spine. Jennifer Jason Leigh is Allegra Geller, the greatest game designer in the world. While premiering her newest game, an attempt is made to assassinate her, with a gun made of flesh and bone that uses human teeth as projectiles, as Cronenberg returns to his flesh fetish of Rapid and Videodrome. eXistenZ is a bizarre trip through the surreal and not to everyone's tastes. Personally, I love it. It's weird, abstract and doesn't entirely make sense. Once, another HTFer criticized me for considering it horror, but it is distinctly horror to me.
4.5/5

10/20
30) From Dusk Till Dawn - The truth is, more often than not any movie by Robert Rodriguez, in the words of SteveGon, sucks donkey balls. Of course, when he is fun, he is really fun, and From Dusk Till Dawn is his first example. This squishy, schizophrenic freakshow is an absolute blast and has the guts to include all the goods that are so often missing in the tamed down, PG-13 entries these days. Naked chicks, demented humor, trainloads of blood and, everybody say "HOO-YAW, Salma!!!". Crank it up, grab a piece of apple pie and don't give a crap what the neighbors think.
Movie Score: 3/5
Good cheesy fun score: 5/5

10/21
31) Lifeforce - I saw this one in the theater when if first came out, and not since. I seem to recall it was supposed to be some enormous bockbuster and Tobe Hooper's entry into the big bucks mainstream. It's actually a cheesy piece that feels more like a late Hammer entry. Of course, that's not entirely a bad thing. Turns out Vampires of ancient times are actually descendents (or leftovers) of a race of aliens living in a 150 mile long spaceship hidden in the head of Halley's Comet and a space expedition has unsuspectingly discovered them. The crew is infected and/or killed and the infection is brought back to London. Hidden among all that is the brilliant excuse to have the incredibly juicy, 19 year old Mathilda May walk around naked draining the life force out of every man she meets. I'm sure there is some analogy buried in there. Lifeforce isn't exactly good, but it sure is fun. The only thing I don't understand is, once you have established an excuse to have lovely Mathilda walk around naked, why would you come up with a reason to have her stop walking around naked. Dock 0.5 naked chick points.
Movie rating 2/5
Cheese rating: 4/5
Naked chick rating: 4.5/5

32) The Return of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Ranked #51 at the imdb Bottom 100, this is the second lowest imdb ranked movie I have ever seen, and yeah, it's pretty bad, but not really that bad. I was just curious to see Renée Zellweger in a early role. she apparently had an uncredited role before this in Dazed and Confused but I have no idea who she was. Anyway, she is the prom dressed girl victim to Matthew McConaughey's sadistic tow truck driver. Apparently, this is awful slasher fare, but hell if I can ever tell the difference between the highest level of "slasher art" and the unacceptable ones. Weird sense of humor.
1.5/5

33) The Beast of Yucca Flats - This one only ranks #79 in the bottom list, but damn if it isn't infinitely worse than Renée's little starring premiere. Tor Johnson is an escaped Russian scientist who is chased into a nuclear testing site just as a test is performed. Apparently this causes him to get rippled skin and start, well, not much else. Basically, this is just 54 minutes of people roaming freely around the same testing site. Weirdly bad movie that was shot without sound and what very little dialog there is was added later. When there is dialog, the characters are usually far off in the distance or they noticeably turn away from the camera before they speak. There is also a regular narrator, who mostly gives us fascinating little bits of wisdom such as, "A man runs, someone shoots at him" and "Boys from the city. Not yet caught by the whirlwind of progress. Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs".
0.5/5

34) The House on Haunted Hill 1959 - Pretty decent thriller has Vincent Price as a vengeful millionaire who invites 5 people to a haunted house overnight, when they will be awarded $10,000 each. Mind games and mayhem ensue. Maybe I missed something, but it's never clear why most of the guests, none of who actually know the host personally, were selected. Plus, why was poor Nora singled out for most of the torment while the others mostly sat around. Anyway, enjoyable, so long as you let a lot of aspect go.
3.5/5

10/23
35) Dementia 13 - Fair Hitchcockian thriller from Coppola has a somewhat crazed Irish family (most of who don't have accents) carrying out an odd ritual due to the death 7 years earlier of the youngest family member. Is it my imagination, or was it pretty obvious from early on what had happened and what was going on?
2/5

36) The Exorcist - I figured it was about time somebody watched it. Deosn't provide many scares anymore, for me at least. Of course, after digging into the philosophy and psychology of "evil" a few years ago, it does take on a whole different flavor. I am impressed how it works on this level as well, with the stifled misery and vulnerability of Regan playing as a factor in her predicament.
4/5

10/24
37) Mad Love - Definitely good early thriller, which has already been talked about enough here. Lorre is amusing and creepy, and how about that getup and his ranting late in the movie. I know I saw another version of this story back in the early 70s. Pretty sure it was an episode of Night Gallery or one of the similarly themed series.
4/5

38) Disturbing Behavior - Funky, clunky story about the "Blue Ribbons", the best and brightest at Cradle Bay High School. They live clean, study, play fair and don't embibe in, well anything. Problem is, they tend to kill people when faced with normal human conflict. Kind of a Stepford Wives/Body Snatchers thing with some pretty cheesy stuff thrown in. Bill Sadler is a walking caricature. Get into the spirit, and this one is actually kind of fun, if not exactly good.
2.5/5

10/25
39) Stay - A depressed art student (Ryan Gosling) finds his world disintegrating as he copes with his suicidal thoughts and the guilt over the belief he killed his parents. Stay was pretty much panned across the board by critics I am convinced didn't want to put the effort to actually pay attention. Ebert is a notable exception, and his comment that once the movie is over, it warrants a great deal of thought, shows he is one who was willing to accept what it is. With a talented director (Marc Forster) and big name cast, including Ewan McGregor, Naomi Watts and Bob Hoskins, it's a bit surprising it never seemed to have a chance. Of course, it is one of those deceptive movies. It is easy to get to the end, say "oh, OK, that's what was going on" and not go any further. To me, it is an incredibly powerful idea and downright difficult to deal with, even if the execution could have been better. It should have been more subtle (that kid shows up, saying the same thing over and over) and from Forster, I would expect it to have been. This movie really gets to me.
4/5

40) The Devil Doll - An imprisoned banker escapes and discoveres a way to shrink people to doll size and decides it will make it possible to seek revenge against the people who ripped him off and sent him away. Pretty cool, surprisingly progressive movie for the 30s, with some especially nifty effects. The cheesy, melodramatic ending is a disappointment.
4/5

41) Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama - In honor of Jason's ignorance of Linnea Quigley, I decided to delve into a movie starring the Holy Trinity of Linnea, Brinke Stevens and Michelle Bauer. After a bit of hazing and a nice soap-down, two sorority pledges are sent to a bowling alley after hours, accompanied by a few leering geeks, to steal a bowling trophy. Unfortunately, the trophy they choose houses a sadistic imp, who is released and begins to wreak havoc. Pretty decent, cheesy fun, but woefully short on gratuitous nudity, and criminally, none at all from miss Quigley, which has to make this the only movie she ever appeared in and didn't give it up for the fans.
2/5

10/26
42) The Exorcist III - I had raised hopes after what some people said about this movie, but it just shows what seems to baffle me about so much "good" horror. It has a decent atmosphere, that pretty much goes nowhere. The story is a convoluted mess of scary "ideas" thrown together into a collage that jumps from one to another. I would have thought the patient, theatrical scene near the end would have been interesting to me, but it just struck me as a series of weak gimmicks. Plus, it didn't make much sense. Despite being directed by the author, it has no sense of what made the original great.
2/5

10/27
43) The Unknown - Is that really Joan Crawford? She looked completely different before she got her mean on. This is a top notch silent thriller, with Lon Chaney as an armless knife thrower. What a freaking weird idea. He, along with everyone else, is obsessed with the Circus owner's daughter. Anyway, there is all sorts of underhandedness and deception. I typically go out of my way not to try to guess what is going to happen in movies, but about 15 minutes into this one, I couldn't help but realize pretty much everything that was coming. Still, cool stuff from Tod Browning.
4/5

44) Ravenous - A mid 19th century war "hero" is sent to a remote outpost in the Sierra Nevadas, where surviving can be an all consuming occupation. The first time I saw this a few years ago, it left an unsavory taste in my mouth. Maybe I lacked the intestinal fortitude for what I was about to be served, or maybe I wasn't feeling the hunger for this juicy little bit of gristle. Apparently, in the years since, my appetite has expanded to include films I can really sink my teeth into, and Ravenous now truly hits the spot.
3.5/5

10/28
45) The Fly II - A women (who is obviously not Geena Davis) gives birth to a cocoon, and promptly dies from failed contract negotiations. Five years later, the contents of the cocoon have turned into Brundleseth Jr., in the form of 30 year old Eric Stoltz, who is continuing his father's transporter research, gets his freak on with Daphne Zuniga and promptly starts going all Brundlefly. In the meantime, we are treated to Oscar caliber dialog like "Bastard!! Where's your compassion?!?" In the end, just another story of the love between a girl and her giant bug boyfriend.
1.5/5

46) Vampyr - Carl Theodor Dreyer takes Dracula and makes it more philosophical than usual, and very deliberate. There is no neck biting in this feature, just a slowly paced look at the result of vampires. Damn, this movie went slow too. It was also unusual, since it is essentially a silent feature, but not entirely. There is some dialog, though not all of it even has subtitles, but mostly it uses title cards. Probably only interesting to fans of classic silent cinema.
3/5

47) Slither - A hybrid of so many other horror movies, I can't even identify all of them. An intergalactic snail lands on earth in a bit of meteor shit and begins taking over the nearest town. Has one of the funniest lines I've heard in some time, "Margaret packs a box lunch." Good fun, but a bit too muddled.
3/5

10/29
48) Body Snatchers - Abel Ferrara takes the standard Invasion of the Body Snatchers story and moves it to a military base. This makes a lot of sense since if you were looking to replace humans with unthinking, unfeeling automatons and go unnoticed as long as possible, what better place than a military base. Plus, it would facilitate the whole overtrow thing.

I have always liked this movie and have never understood why I seem to be almost alone in it. I like how it approaches the story from the standpoint that everyone in the audience already knows what is going on, as they watch the characters gradually figure it out. I like the surreal, occasionally Expressionistic photography from Bojan Bazelli. I love the sequence when the shit finally hits the fan, which still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Most of all, I like the subtext and how it leaves the door open to interpretation about what the real theme is. The line, "our reaction was only human" is freaking brilliant. I would also like to personally thank Ferrara for the Gabrielle bits.
4/5

10/30 I was having "one of those days" yesterday, so...
49) Phenomena - Groovy flick from Argento has Jennifer Connelly playing a youg girl who communes with, and occasionally influences insects. Surprisingly gore and cringe-less until the last 10 minutes or so. The regular Argento, funky soundtrack from Goblin, interspersed with a couple selections from Iron Maiden and Motorhead is trippy. More horror movies should have Lemmy singing in the background.
3.5/5

50) They Live - I couldn't go an entire challenge without a single Carpenter, and I watched The Thing just a few months ago, so I went with Roddy Piper battling invading aliens. Those pesky aliens have already pretty much taken over when Roddy discovers how to detect them.

"I have come to chew bubble gum and kick ass,
and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Fun, campy, tongue-in-cheek flick has all sorts of alien ass-kicking, testosterone overload and no nudity until the final, amusing scene. This one has always made me laugh.
3.5/5

51) The Indestructible Man - Lon Chaney plays a convicted robber (and presumably killer) who is executed, only to be restored and find he is pretty much impervious to any injury. He goes on a campaign to destroy all those who turned him in. Pretty decent flick with an unbearably sappy final scene.
3.5/5

52) The Phantom of the Opera - Lon Chaney stars as the famed phantom, who secretly counsels and champions the understudy at the Paris Opera in order to make her a star. This movie is a bit longer and more ponderous than it really needs to be, but it works nicely.
4/5

53) Frailty - Rather odd flick about a man (Bill Paxton) who claims to have been chosen by God to be a demon slayer. The younger of this two sons goes right along, while the older thinks he's off his rocker. All of this is related to an FBI agent by the older son, who is now an adult. This movie really sets some people off for various reason I won't reveal, but It has always worked for me. I enjoy the ambiguity of it and how it can have so many different "answers"
4/5

10/31
54) Cemetery Man - Before Shaun of the Dead, there was Michele Soavi's twisted little tale of a Cemetery Caretaker, who's real job is to knock off all the corpses that come back to life, and they all come back to life. Shaun traded in the irresistably weird sense of humor here for more straightforward, British silliness. The ending is almost legendary. This also has two things Shaun lacks. Anna Falchi.
3.5/5

55) Alucarda - Steve is probably disappointed that my first Jadorowsky isn't Santa Sangre. Two girls from an orphanage wander into a church of some sort, become possessed by some unknown spirit and spend the rest of the movie screaming, convulsing, and screaming some more. There is a lot of screaming. Not much logic to the story, aside from the screaming.
2/5

56) Freaks - Tod Browning produces what is still the weirdest revenge flick ever made. Watching this is just unsettling.
4/5

57) Cube - Think of it as a less sadistic, more creative version of Saw, set in space, or at least in some very weird, huge...OK, I won't give it away, for those who haven't seen it.
3.5/5

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
3 down so far this afternoon. I've been watching the special features to. I'm starting with exploitation horror.

1. Last House On the Left 3/5 - Not as disturbing as I remember it. Maybe I'm jaded.
2. Last House On A Dead End Street 3.5/5 - Better gore than the above, but an attrociously made movie, with some of the worse ADR work I have ever seen.
3. The Candy Snatchers 3.5/5 - not much of a horror, but it has enough elements to add it. Not so much disturbing as completl f'd up. A trio of creeps kidnap the girl of a wealthy diamond broker. the diamond broker could give a shit, and only an autistic kid (with parents who hate him) knows what's going on. Ugly little film.

I haven't watched Alien since the Quad set came out, I might have to revisit it.

I've never even heard of Creep. Might have to look it up.

(see my running tally on page 1)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Haunting - 1963: I know this is considered a classic of horror and is also a fave of Mod Jack Briggs, but as much as I like psychological horror, it still leaves me flat. 2.5/5

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
October 1
Frankenstein 1931. I havent' watched this movie since i was a kid. Its still creepy at points and the scene where the monster throws the little girl the pond is still somewhat disturbing.

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator
Just started my Scarry Movie Challange

1. ZOMBIE - This is a good movie about a woman who finds out her father died coming back from an Island and wants to know how it happened. There is also a reporter working on this story and goes with the woman to check out what is going on. 4/5

2. Hellmaster - This movie was BAD. It was so bad that I don't know what it really was about. 2/5

2006 Scary Movie Challenge - new in BOLD
1. Zombie :star::star::star::star: out of :star::star::star::star::star:
2. Hellmaster :star::star: out of :star::star::star::star::star:

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Dark Tales Of Japan - A compilation of short (10-20 minute) stories from 5 different japanese directors. Obviously made for TV as they are all shot on video (except Takashi Shimuzu's which is film). Reasonably entertaining since none of the stories lag much, but some are terribly silly and there aren't many scary moments. In the end, there was enough entertainment - some spookyish scenes and some terribly goofy "creatures" that elicited laughter.

The Spiderwoman - The silliest of the lot. You just can't be uneasy when you keep laughing.
Crevices - Closest to the Japanese films I've seen with some similar themes. Pretty effective since it keeps the story short (10 minutes).
The Sacrifice - Though the huge head at the end of this piece brought a "what the hell?", the story here is pretty decent and well-paced.
Blonde Kwaidan - Fortunately the shortest as it's silliness would've overtaken it had it been longer. Could put you off blondes for a bit though...
Presentiment - Probably the best overall even though it keeps most of its story in an elevator. Not overly scary, but a good ghost story.

I, Madman - Pretty decent late 80's film about a young woman who starts seeing the murderer from the scary novel she's reading. Some nice tension in spots and lots of shadows as the murderer tries to rebuild his face from other peoples parts. Having said that, it also squanders a couple of opportunities to ratchet up the fear. Not exactly top notch acting...

Wrong Turn - I wasn't overly keen on the mountain man killers concept or some of the bland characters, but this wasn't half bad. No big surprises, but the direction and tension build up was pretty effective.

Running Tally of 2006 Scary Movie Challenge

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm another one who wan't all that impressed with Wrong Turn. I don;t mind mutant hillbilly's, but not super powered mutant hillbilly's.

4. Blood Feast 3/5 - It's been a long time since I saw this classic. It's basically long shots of gore to the music of a kettle drum and your grandma's organ. It's a bit plodding, but I still enjoyed it. The DVD has an instructional film on how to carve meat, that was both informative and a little more quesy than Blood Feast itsef.

(post#3 for my running tally, maybe by the end of this challenge I'll figure out how to post a link :) )

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
re-reading some of the above, I just realized: I've never seen the original "The Haunting" :eek: . I might have to correct that this year.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Rating system: 1-5 (Awful, bad, Average, good, excellent)
1st time movies listed in bold
foriegn language films (personal challenge) in red

01/10 - La Maschera Del Demonio (1960). - The look of the film clearly tries to mimick Universal's 30's horror films, and the visual effect is good. Unfortunately the plot is more complex than it needs to be (for a Dracula knock-off), and I think Barbara Steele has a face like a shaved Shar-Pei. Rating 3

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Since I like watching horror films this time of year anyway, I might as well join in the fun. :)

First time viewings in red

1. Frankenstein (1910). This film always amazes me because a) it still exists, b) I was able to finally get a copy, and c) it's actually pretty good. The highlights of the film are the creation sequence and some ingenious use of a full-length mirror on the set.

2. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919). Still capable of casting its eerie spell after all these years, and Cesare the somnambulist is a delightfully creepy monster.

3. The Golem: How He Came into the World (1920). I've always enjoyed this one. All the elements (story, acting, set design, costumes, makeup, SFX, lighting, cinematography, etc.) come together to produce awe and wonder. The summoning of Astaroth is still very effective. And we have the first monster on a rampage. It won't be the last...

4. Destiny (Der Müde Tod)
(1921). My "first" first time viewing of the month, and the earliest Fritz Lang film I've seen. Not so much horror as a dark fantasy or a fairy tale. A woman pleads with Death for the life of her beloved, and Death gives her three chances to save him. A beautiful film with plenty of primitive, but still effective SFX, including an army of ghosts on the march. Definitely worth searching out.

5. Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror (1922). What more can be said about one of the greatest horror films of all time? I had some trepidation about watching this again, afraid that it would be all too familiar. I was surprised at how much I had forgotten. Still, was there ever a more loathsome vampire than Max Schreck? I'm just wish that this gem would be given a digital spit polishing and reunited with the original Hans Erdmann score.

6. Häxan (1922). a.k.a. Witchcraft Through the Ages.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

This one is unlike anything I have ever seen. Part historical essay, part dramatic recreation, part psychological treatise, it's packed with devil worship, sorcery, folk magic, nudity, cannibalism, flagellation, torture, insanity and witch burning. A full-blown Witches' Sabbath. Even a witch giving birth to demonic children. It's also an indictment of superstition, intolerance, hypocrisy and misogyny in the name of religion. No wonder this film caused a scandal when it was released. Still, you have to admire a director who will cast himself as a bare-chested, tongue-waggling Satan, though that may be more of a commentary on directors than on the devil. ;) Plus, one of the costumes looks exactly like Etrigan the Demon. Now I really want to see Benjamin Christensen's Seven Footprints to Satan.

7. Waxworks (1924). You can have a great director (Paul Leni), three of the greatest actors in Germany (Emil Jannings, Conrad Veidt and Werner Krauss), and fantastic costumes and sets, but without a strong script, the film is going to fall flat. This is the second anthology film I've viewed this month, but where as Destiny had a frame story about a girl trying to save a life, this one is about a poet writing copy for a wax museum and courting the owner's daughter. That's it. And it doesn't help that the first, and by far the longest, segment is an Arabian Nights farce, and not horror at all. The second segment (about the psychopathic ways of Ivan the Terrible) and third segment (an Expressionistic nightmare about Jack the Ripper) are much better, though.

8. The Lost World (1925). I'm counting this as new because I've never seen the David Shepard restoration before. And what a restoration it is! For the first time, it actually feels like a real movie, and the SFX still hold up after 80 years. It's just too bad that the rampage through London didn't go on longer, but Willis O'Brien made up for that in King Kong.

9. The Phantom of the Opera (1925). My first Universal horror film of the challenge, and much better than I remember. Lon Chaney's magnetic performance and his makeups for Erik and the Red Death are the only reasons it's still worth watching. Without that horror icon at its core, all that is left is a pulpy melodrama. Still, all the horror clichés are present: the monster, the damsel in distress, the ineffectual hero and the torch-bearing mob. I have been watching the Milestone/Image DVD, and this is the absolute worst PAL-to-NTSC conversion I have ever seen. One thing this movie did not need is more ghosts. ;)

10. The Unknown (1927). Tod Browning must have been one twisted puppy. A Freudian would have a heyday with all the abnormal psychology going on in this one, especially the castration anxiety. Strange, strange stuff.

11. The Cat and the Canary (1927). This one is just about as good as they come. Paul Leni's direction is perfect, filled with wonderful expressionistic touches. The POV shots are still very effective. The script get the balance between horror and humor just right. And the Cat is delightfully gruesome. This has just become one of my favorite silent films.

12. London After Midnight (1927). The Schmidlin reconstruction is better than it has any right to be. Unfortunately, it whets the appetite for the real thing. There is no way a series of stills is ever going to capture the magnetism that Lon Chaney brought to the screen. On the evidence of this, however, it's still better than Mark of the Vampire.

13. The Man Who Laughs (1928). Not strictly a horror movie, but in the same vein as The Hunchback of Notre Dame and The Phantom of the Opera, this film is a historical melodrama with a grotesque as the center. Gwynplaine has been mutilated so that his mouth has a perpetual grin. (It was this make-up that inspired the creation of the Joker in the Batman comic book.) Conrad Veidt is wonderful as a totally sympathetic "monster", showing a wide range of emotions using only his eyes. Conversely, the true villains of the piece are all "normal". The rest of the cast was terrific, with Mary Philbin even more innocent and virginal than she was in Phantom and Olga Baclanova even more steamy than she was in Freaks. Paul Leni directed the film in a delirious manner, with the camera moving all over the place. You realize just how much was lost when he died so young. If he had lived, the course of the American horror film may have taken a different course.

14. Dracula (1931). Case in point. What started out as a vehicle for Conrad Veidt and Paul Leni turned into one for Bela Lugosi and Tod Browning. There is a lot to criticize about this movie. Lugosi's line readings become progressively odder the more you hear them, but it does add to the unreal, dreamlike quality of the piece. Browning was never one for directorial flourishes, and that, coupled with the nature of early "talkies," made for a static film (though not as static as I remembered.) The supporting cast is wooden. However, the film does have two of the most iconic performances in horror from Bela Lugosi and Dwight Frye. It's unfortunate that they were so iconic that it left them typecast for the rest of their lives.

15. The Return of the Vampire (1944). I caught this on TCM last night, and it had a hard time holding my attention. It's not bad for a faux 40's Universal horror film. I'll give it some credit for setting the story during the London Blitz, and playing up the religious aspect of the vampire mythos, but, in general, the movie felt as tired as Lugosi looked as the lead. On the other hand, it showed just how much Lugosi had improved as an actor in the intervening 13 years. And I'll admit that this is the only werewolf that I wanted to scratch behind the ears and play fetch with. :D

16. Dracula (Spanish Version) (1931). Watching this right after the English language Dracula is an interesting study in film production. Given the same script and sets, but a different director and cast, it’s amazing the difference in the output. George Melford seems to have almost always made the better artistic choice than Tod Browning did. The only weak link is Carlos Villarías as the Count, whose performance (and grimaces) verge on the risible.

17. Frankenstein (1931). This is like visiting an old friend. As many times as I’ve seen this film, I never tire of it, mostly due to the genius of Boris Karloff and James Whale. Karloff shows just why he became the leading horror actor of his generation. Whale’s odd directorial touches are almost a riposte to Tod Browning, showing just how a horror film should be shot. Special mention must be made of Colin Clive, whose brittle performance as Henry Frankenstein set the standard for all mad scientists to come.

18. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931). This movie is all about sex, and Dr. Jekyll’s gotta have it! The pre-Code frankness of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is still astonishing after all this time. Rouben Mamoulian may not have made another horror film, but he knocked this one out of the park. I cannot think of another film of any genre from this era that is as self-assured as this one. This is pure cinematic art, with its subjective views, tight close-ups, inventive use of screen wipes and dissolves, and Freudian symbolism. Fredric March give a performance that, while it had dated a bit, deserved won an Academy Award. True adult filmmaking at its finest.

19. Freaks (1932). This film is growing on me. I think it’s the best film of Tod Browning that I’ve seen. He may not have understood the supernatural at all, but he definitely "got" the circus. You know you’re in for something different when the carnival barker’s hand rips apart the title card. I can see why this wasn’t a success. In addition to all the real life sideshow freaks on display, all the thick foreign accents on display makes it difficult to understand what’s going on first viewing. Olga Baclanova had noticeably lost the “girliness” she had back in The Man Who Laughs, which makes her more believable as a gold digging poisoner. Too bad the censors slashed apart the climax. Even so, it’s still makes harrowing viewing, possibly the earliest example of a “slasher” film. One nice touch: one of the freaks playing a selection from Wagner’s Tristan und Isolde in the circus wagon just before they start pulling out their knifes for Baclanova.

20. Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932). Another favorite, and definitely the most faithful of the Poe adaptations produced by Universal. Which isn’t saying much, because this is Poe filtered through Caligari, but unlike The Black Cat and The Raven, it is set in the past, as it should be. Robert Florey was obviously familiar with what had been going on in Germany, because, in addition to Caligari, his Paris is reminiscent of the dreamlike Prague of The Golem. Too bad he didn’t make more horror films. Plus, Lugosi had noticeably improved as an actor in the year since Dracula. Lots of perverse ideas underneath the surface here: rape, miscegenation, bestiality, venereal disease, and a twisted take on evolution.

21. Doctor X (1932). “Synthetic flesh!” I just got a copy of the Hollywood Legends of Horror set this week, and this movie was the one I was most excited about since I was a big fan of Mystery of the Wax Museum. And it more than lived up to expectations. One part The Cat and the Canary (the old dark house with secret passages), one part Frankenstein (a lab full of sparking electrical equipment), one part Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (just look at the Full Moon Killer’s makeup), and one part Warner Bros. wise-cracking urbanism, all mixed up in an expressionistic Art Deco cocktail by Michael Curtiz. I’m surprised that horror fans don’t rate this higher. Unlike other viewers, I enjoyed Lee Tracy’s comedy relief, though I couldn’t believe that Fay Wray’s character could see anything in him. And doesn’t Lionel Atwill always look creepy and guilty, even when he’s playing an innocent character.

22. White Zombie (1932). Another long-time favorite, and IMHO one of Lugosi’s best performances. The glee he showed in the part of Murder Legendre is almost infectious. None of the supporting cast approaches him, but their melodramatic style adds to the oneiric feel of the piece. The Halperin brothers wring every last ounce of atmosphere out of the leftover sets from Dracula and Frankenstein, and show just how much a musical score could add to a horror film.

23. The Most Dangerous Game (1932). For a film put into production to get some extra use out the jungle sets for King Kong, the result is something truly different: the horror action picture. Leslie Banks makes a decidedly different villain, and makes effective use of the partial paralysis of his face to increase the grotesqueness of Count Zaroff. The wonderful Max Steiner score heightens the suspense of Zaroff’s hunt of Joel McCrea and Fay Wray. And Zaroff’s trophy room contained some of the most gruesome images in early horror. The only flaw is Robert Armstrong’s unfunny "comical" drunk.

24. The Old Dark House (1932). Unique among the Universal horrors, this film has neither a supernatural monster nor mad science. Instead, we have a family slowly sinking into degeneracy and madness, which would make it a forebear of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and other films of its genre. We also get to meet the “real” James Whale in a film that values wit as much as terror. And wit there is aplenty, executed by a top notch cast. Could anyone other than Ernest Thesiger deliver lines like “Have a potato” and “I like gin” with such high camp? Also, take notice of the pre-title announcement assuring audiences that the Boris Karloff in this movie is the same one who played “the mechanical monster” in Frankenstein, and praises his ranges as an actor. Then the movie goes and puts him into another mute role. On the down side, the transfer and elements (16mm?) used for the Kino DVD are really showing their age.

25. The Mask of Fu Manchu (1932). Gleefully sadistic, and one of the most unrepentantly racist films this side of The Birth of a Nation, this movie didn’t do very much for me the first time I saw it. Then, I started reading Sax Rohmer and became a fan. While this movie may not be faithful to the book, it does capture that unique pulpy Rohmeresque feel. Karloff, in his first major speaking role since Frankenstein, attacks the melodramatic part with relish. Myrna Loy, still typecast in exotic roles, has almost as much fun as Fah Lo See. And you have to love a movie that puts to torture both Judge Hardy and Dr. Christian. :D

26. The Mummy (1932). I think this is my favorite Universal horror film, and the most original take on this monster. While you can see the obvious influence of Dracula on this movie, you can also feel the spirit of Sax Rohmer as well. (Just read his book Brood of the Witch Queen sometime.) Karloff as Im-ho-tep/Ardath Bay is a most atypical mummy, both articulate, charismatic and, in a odd way, romantic. You can feel his longing to reunite with his lost love, Princess Anck-es-en-Amon, which will not be denied. And I love the literal deus ex machina ending, where Isis comes to the rescue.

27. Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933). Over the past few years, the films produced by Warner Bros. Studios in the 1930s have become some of my favorites, and this one is very typical of its output. But instead of gangsters on the spot, or Busby Berkeley chorines dancing, we have a misshapen, murdering, body-snatching monster on the loose in Warner’s New York. A pre-Code, Art Deco New York filled with wisecracking reporters, millionaires, cops, junkies and bootleggers. Glenda Farrell makes a great heroine, one you wouldn’t want to cross. And the film has one of the great reveals in the history of horror, when Fay Wray smashes Lionel Atwill’s wax mask. A great advance over Doctor X. Too bad Jack Warner didn’t care for horror films, because I would have like to have seen where they would have gone from here.

28. The Ghoul (1933). This movie is one of the great discoveries of the DVD era. Who would have thought that a film thought lost would turn up looking pristine? And even more, it turns out to be very good. This appears to be one of the first British attempts to make an American-style horror film. The end result is a good approximation of a Universal movie, specifically a combination of Karloff’s last two: The Old Dark House and The Mummy. The cast is just as fine as in the former (Ernest Thesiger, Cedric Hardwicke and Ralph Richardson) and the Egyptology is just as effective as in the latter (the scene where Karloff carves an ankh on his chest is still shocking.) And the comic relief masochistic Cockney is a hoot. The only disappointment is that the script tries to tied everything up with a rational explanation that’s not very convincing.

29. The Invisible Man (1933). This may be James Whale’s most English film, starting with what could almost be a paean to the pub, village and countryside. Claude Rains gives an incredible performance, given that he’s hampered by not being able to use his face. The SFX are still effective after all this time. This has to be one of the best screen adaptations of H. G Wells. And is it just me, or does everyone else find Una O’Connor annoying?

30. The Black Cat (1934). My favorite Lugosi film. When you learn more about the making of this movie, it becomes even more fascinating. The original version would have been one of the most perverse horror films of the 1930s, if not of all time. Even in its truncated form, it’s filled with Satanism, necrophilia, incest, possession, human sacrifice, threats of rape, and topped off with Boris Karloff being flayed alive. Lugosi is a sympathetic hero for a change, while Karloff is a completely irredeemable villain. Even David Manners has one of his best roles. Edgar G. Ulmer’s direction is terrific (just look at the chart room scene, for example). One of the first Universal horror films to use music extensively, it’s fun picking out which classical pieces the music department plundered for the score. Any resemblance to Edgar Allan Poe is completely coincidental.

31. The Raven (1935). Compared to The Black Cat, this one is just a pile of pulpy nonsense reminiscent of a chapter serial, but it’s fun. This time their roles are reversed, with Lugosi as a sadistic Poe collector, and Karloff as a gangster mutilated by him. With each line, Lugosi chomps down on increasingly larger amounts of the scenery. The overacting helps, because the script doesn’t hold up well at all, with it becoming more and more improbable as it goes on. And the so-called “comic relief” doesn’t help matters either.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Hmm, guess Kissinger's gonna wimp out on us again this year. :D

Started off the challenge by finishing off Universal's Boris Karloff Collection.

The Strange Door - Karloff has a small but pivotal role as a servant trying to save a young woman and her fiance from her sadistic uncle (a hammy Charles Laughton). Sharply written and Laughton really is nasty here. Pretty high body count too.

*** out of ****

The Black Castle - Very similar to the above, this time Karloff has a small but pivotal role as a doctor trying to save the wife (not to mention her would-be lover) of a mad count from his dastardly revenge. Lon Chaney has a small and not-so-pivotal role as the count's ogreish manservant - he gets et by 'gators. (Every European castle has a room full of alligators. Didn't you know that?) Good fun.

*** out of ****

Rick Spruill

Stunt Coordinator
10/1

The Mole People (1956, Virgil W. Vogel) - 7/10
- I admit I have a soft spot for this one. It's one of those goofy 50s horror/sci-fi hybrids that works for me. The acting is a step above what you might expect with John Agar and Hugh Beaumont (yeah, thats right - Beaver's Dad). I get a kick out of the opening with all the pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo delivered with a deadly straight face. And some of the make-up is unsettling, if not creepy.

The Devil's Wedding Night (1973, Luigi Batzella) - 3/10
- This thing is really pretty bad. Not much to recommend other than Rosalba Neri getting nekkid every few minutes. The movie opens with the incredibly lame Mark Damon having a dull-as-dishwater 10-minute conversation with himself....err, I mean his twin brother. From there it only gets worse (except for the aforementioned scenes with Neri).

Rick Spruill

Stunt Coordinator
To each his own. IMO, this (or possibly Suspiria) is the finest horror movie ever made. Nothing wrong with your opinion, but we couldn't disagree more on this movie.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The People Under the Stairs - For the last couple weeks I have been wanting to revisit Wes Craven's profoundly twisted tale of a couple living in a huge house, who are holding several children captive, one of whom has gotten loose and is being a general pest roaming around inside the walls. This is a truly dark comedy with a couple seriously cringe-inducing moments. 4/5

"Your father is a real sick mother, you know that?
Actually, your mother is a real sick mother too."

SteveS.

Auditioning
Happy to be here folks!!

Rating system (1-5) with 5 representing the pinnacle of terror

First-time viewings will be noted

1. The Grudge 3.75- this was a good one to kick off the challenge. Great sound efx. Scary as hell.

2. Frailty 3.75- I picked up this movie exclusively for the challenge. $6 well spent. Very good movie.

3. The Ring 4.5- Absolutely love this movie. Even after multiple viewings. Excellent flick.

4. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original) 3- This is actually my first time seeing this all the way through. I really didn't think it was that good. Questionable acting and not as scary I as was expecting it to be.

5. The Ring Two 3.25- The sequel was nothing compared to the original. Implausible storyline and not nearly as scary.

6. 13 Ghosts 3.5- Okay movie. Cool ghosts. Actual characters were ridiculous at times. Bad dialog.

7. Hellraiser 3.5- First time I've seen it. Not bad. Was expecting a little more with the Cenobites. Twisted story(a good thing) and very imaginative for it's time.

8. Hostel 3.75- I actually liked this movie. I thought the characters were believable and the storyline was very interesting. Better than most of the movies on my list thus far.

9. Rosemary's Baby 3.75- First time viewing. Good movie. Not as scary as I was expecting but creepy nonetheless.

10. The Grudge 2 3.75- First time viewing. I liked this one about as much as the original. It has some parts that succeeded in freaking me out and it provided some insight into the first installment. Good movie that will be added to my collection once it is released on dvd.

11. Friday the 13th 4.0- This one is a classic. The movie progresses slowly, but once Jason's mother comes into the picture the movie jumps up a few notches. When she speaks in her son's voice and when Jason comes out of the water still to this day scare the shit out of me. Great movie.

12. The Omen (2006) 3.5- This is the first time I have seen this. I thought it was pretty good. The kid does a good job of representing evil. The short spurts of terror that flash across the screen creeped me out a little. Mia Farrow looked like she was about 30 years old.

13. House of a 1000 Corpses 4.75- One of my absolute favorite movies. I purposely saved this one for Halloween Night. Rob Zombie created a masterpiece IMO. I love every aspect of this movie. I have already seen it several times and have decided that it is now a lock on Halloweens to come.

14. The People Under the Stairs 3.5- Surprisingly good movie. Some good humor mixed with some good old-fashioned evil. I liked Fool as a character, but man, he was just a little too brave. Just tell an adult or the cops or someone and be done with it. Oh well I still enjoyed it.

That's all folks!!! I look forward to next year. I may go for 31 this time. The problem will be convincing my fiance that we must not leave the house for a month. Over and out.............

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Squeezed in one more movie last night.

5. 2000 Maniacs 4/5 The best of the Blood trilogy. This one is just so delightfully fun. Who can't love the barrel ride? And the music is to die for.

(see page one, post#3 for my running tally)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Well I fixed my earlier post. I accidently gave it a 1 that I moved upto a 3.
Very few films have ever gotten a 1. House Of The Dead comes to mind.The effects were probably pretty good for 1960, it did have excellent cinematography, direction and even acting are good, but I think it suffered from the needless Prince Vadja character. And why didn't Boris come back as a vampire? An OK movie. Somebody said (on another forum) that this film is being remade. I really don't see why.

Maybe I should take more time to completely absorb and reflect upon the experience. Damn you time limits!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks