What's new

*** Official 28 DAYS LATER Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Ditto to Jacks Briggs synopsis on page above (elegantly worded compared to my following! and I enjoyed and noticed the 70's genre throw-back feel he comments on). I just had a viewing when someone at home rented it, having passed over this one in the past. Incorrectly classifying 28DL as probably unappetizing (to me) simplistic zombie genre gorefest-slasher-dismemberment excuse for a movie.
(some comments following might be heavy plot hints)
It surprised me. The Director quickly with little fanfare had me caring about the “should be okay” couples Selena & Jim, Hannah & Frank by the time they popped off to Bondor.

Effective cinemaphotography: Pull back in gas station sequence to a high elevation, - very A -bomb total devastation moment that suits the grim circumstances, well done editing to evoke the sensation that the sucking blast pulls you along from the muffled distance returning to the action. The deserted thoroughfares mixed with long shots of wind turbines etc. Bucket shot. The Crow scene, inside the blood camera angle. Several shots during the country house manor chase, particularly effective the muraled salon with the hidden door, as Jim goes through just before the infected. Lighting used the storms lightning flash punctuation and the heavy formal décor to ominous effect.
Split second pan of Jim plastered in the rain to the back of the jeep when he draws the Major back to the blockade
Jim's single eye close-up in shadows, cheerful, full of life and clean from infection despite the blood drenched face in “That was longer than a heartbeat”

Best Lines for effect(written or otherwise)
“Don’t Wake Up” poignant creepy moment
"Slow Down" eek
“Its only polite” horrifically heartbreaking (for a female viewer) and the actress hits the line ‘dead on to rights’.

The general development of Selena’s “I WILL leave you behind” personality against Jim’s inherent nature. Her cynical attitude and character growth in contrast to the icy resignation of Major West both pragmatic and deviant in controlling his companies survival and subsistence.

Interesting juxtaposition of Jim’s moral rage to the equally bloody and destructive force of the infected.

Good flick, I enjoyed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks