*** Official "25TH HOUR" Review Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Talal, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Talal

Talal Stunt Coordinator

Feb 6, 2002
    Gangs of New York was sold out, so I decided to take a gander at the 25th hour. Outstanding film. Everything from direction, to story, to acting, to score clicked in this film. The dialogue during the "mirror" scene actually gave me goosebunks. I'm afraid this is going to be one of those gems that slips by everyone... Run to see this flick.. it ranks right near the top of Spike Lee's work.. what a vision.

Oh, and if you're among those who criticize filmmakers for the grain present in their films, don't bother watching this.
  2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Dec 9, 1998
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "25th Hour". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
    Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
    If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.
  3. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Oct 26, 1998
    In a year when certain filmmakers try to give us something clever and different as in the near-miss scatterbrained Adaptation. by Spike Jonze and the very unfocused Solaris by Steven Soderbergh, it is nice to see other directors not make the same miscalculations to tell their stories. One such film is Spike Lee’s 25th Hour.
    It tells the story of Monty, a convicted drug dealer played by Edward Norton, who during his last 24 hours of freedom before going to prison, comes to terms with his life and the choices he’s made thus far. The film also tells yet another story alongside its main one – a post 9/11 New York City of changed lives and one of hope.
    As always, Edward Norton is very strong in the lead role but especially impressive this time around is Barry Pepper, who plays Monty’s best friend, in what could be his best performance to date. Anna Paquin is also worth noting as a high school student who tries to seduce her teacher, played by Phillip Seymour Hoffman, in an effort to get a better grade from his class. Brian Cox and Rosario Dawson round out the rest of the cast. Terence Blanchard provides the film’s stirring orchestral score.
    Spike Lee is best at working with his actors, giving them ample room to move and to express themselves. The film contains sequences that provide irony and metaphor to the story at hand including a monologue by Monty about everything he hates about New York City and an extended shot at Ground Zero.
    In 25th Hour, Spike Lee has captured the essence of life and how someone would spend their last hours of freedom with a very moving tale of self-introspection.