What's new

***Official 23rd Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2022*** (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm confident that I'm the only person alive who prefers CREEPSHOW 2 over the first. I enjoy both but I think story two from part 2 is my favorite of the series.

It didn't get much notice but the original THE BLOB got a 4k theatrical re-release last month. I was lucky enough to see it and it remains one of my favorite monster movies from this era, although the remake is even better. I'm shocked they haven't remade it again with current technology.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
I'm beginning to realize that even though I'm only 46 years of age, I much prefer the horror films of the early 1900s through the 1950s as well as Hammer and Giallo films than nearly all modern films except Halloween. I do very much enjoy the fun 80s horror flicks (more nostalgia from childhood than anything else) and there are plenty of modern films I love too. However, when it comes down to it, I more consistently love the atmosphere and approach to filmmaking from the earlier decades.

That being said, the next film on my list is X. Though I'll be following it up with a proper dose of Horror of Dracula and Curse of Frankenstein.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Day 4: 4 October 2022: Feature Presentations: We roll into 1945.... Lewton, (1945) Part 1

1664943436650.png

14. The Body Snatcher Release Date 25 May 1945, RKO Radio Pictures, Inc.⚰️⚰️⚰️⚰️

Was going along at a really good click setting a pace that I was hoping would just continue me through the rest of the month, then I rolled into 1945. And between work, exhaustion, and the fact that I've probably haven't seen some of these needed to slow the pace just a little bit.

So we get to RKO 1945, Val Lewton with Robert Wise in the director's chair for his first full film; Boris Karloff finally with a role that he can completely sink his teeth into of an adaptation of a Robert Louis Stevenson short story. Total movie magic! I had never seen this one before I know that they brought Bela Lugosi in as a cameo for exploitation of his name, but I've watched it twice once with the commentary and it appears that Boris kind of put Bella at ease because he knew that he was uncomfortable with it, and it's a different kind of acting Lugosi, it's very subdued, and possibly one of his best performance.
Karloff is completely in command in this film and the verbal sparring With Henry Daniell, only adds to the film chock full of nourish flourishes and atmosphere, And it only makes you ponder more about the question the morality of science in it's thirst for knowledge, and how boundaries are crossed. What isn't that RAH always says about the joy of somebody experiencing a film for the very first time, well I found it in this. In my personal opinion I believe this is an A film masquerading as a B picture. I could have went in depth and explained everything but I wouldn't want to spoil it for those that haven't seen it themselves; do yourself a favor and hunt this down. I have been impressed with everything that I have seen that Mr. Lewton did at RKO, and have more new ones to experience, late to the party I guess.

Not counting it but there is also a wonderful Documentary on the disc that runs about 55 min. and watched that as well.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
4. Idle Roomers (1944 Three Stooges short)
In this typically madcap and very funny short, the Stooges play bellboys in a hotel who are terrorized by Lupe the Wolf Man (Duke York), who escapes from his cage and goes on a rampage whenever he hears music being played. The wolf man make-up looks pretty damn cool. Lots of great gags here, including a fun broken mirror bit between the wolf man and Curly. Frequent Stooge co-star Christine McIntyre is the requisite hot blond who was about the same height as the boys, but towers over them in her stiletto heels.

MV5BYWMyNWQ0OWMtYjE5ZS00ODU0LTkyNjItNmViNWI2MjBmNzg2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDgyNjA5MA@@._V1_.jpg

Things That Go Nyuk In The Night:​

thanks to Jeff's posting now i have to go back, knew i was forgetting adding those Stooges shorts, an issue that will be fixed very quickly

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I was an undergrad at UC Santa Cruz from the Fall of 1983 to the Summer of 1988, and spent my last two years in an apartment right on the Boardwalk. Since I jogged most mornings along the beach, and sometimes walked the Boardwalk at night, I remember when the film crew was there for the making of The Lost Boys in June of 1986. But since I often shy away from vampire movies I didn't see The Lost Boys until today, an almost unbelievable 36 years after I saw those camera set ups at the Boardwalk. But finally today I unwrapped my blu-ray and gave it a spin

I wish I hadn't waited so long! The Lost Boys is a good, funny, and appropriately grotesque horror movie. "Death by stereo" lol! The scenes of the Boardwalk were mesmerizing, esp. since I remember going on those rides. A tiny part of me expected to see my younger self in one of the crowds, but I knew that hadn't happened, since they had the filming areas fenced off for the few weeks they were there. PQ is great on my regular blu-ray, although I know now that there's a 4K release. I love that Jordan Peele's US was also filmed in Santa Cruz.

lost boys.jpeg

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S

Played this again to see if we got a defective disc, as there seemed to be audio dropouts and picture freezing just after the 13-minute mark (where others are reporting issues with this release) and, lo and behold, the audio dropouts appeared and there was no sound after that point. Going to have to get a replacement after all...
:realmad:

51XpXbwmZGL._AC_SY580_.jpg
51PgBLNB1+L._AC_SY580_.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I was an undergrad at UC Santa Cruz from the Fall of 1983 to the Summer of 1988, and spent my last two years in an apartment right on the Boardwalk. Since I jogged most mornings along the beach, and sometimes walked the Boardwalk at night, I remember when the film crew was there for the making of The Lost Boys in June of 1986. But since I often shy away from vampire movies I didn't see The Lost Boys until today, an almost unbelievable 36 years after I saw those camera set ups at the Boardwalk. But finally today I unwrapped my blu-ray and gave it a spin

I wish I hadn't waited so long! The Lost Boys is a good, funny, and appropriately grotesque horror movie. "Death by stereo" lol! The scenes of the Boardwalk were mesmerizing, esp. since I remember going on those rides. A tiny part of me expected to see my younger self in one of the crowds, but I knew that hadn't happened, since they had the filming areas fenced off for the few weeks they were there. PQ is great on my regular blu-ray, although I know now that there's a 4K release. I love that Jordan Peele's US was also filmed in Santa Cruz.

View attachment 156463
Awesome flick; just watched the Two-Disc Special Edition DVD the other night, which still holds up even on a 65" 4K screen. This film will always hold a special place in my heart because 1987 was such a great year for music and cinema; I remember seeing The Lost Boys in a drive-in theater in California with some cousins who were living out there at the time. Became an instant favorite of mine that I always quoted with friends from that point onward.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
One of the toughest things for me in these challenges is reconciling watching as many movies as I can with my caregiver duties with my now 84 yo mom. As a result I'm breaking my personal "no tv" rule and started watching "Haunting of Bly Manor" since they're hour long eps and work better with mom's early bed time. Yeah, I'm still making her watch these with me and she's bound to see something horrible eventually now that I've forced THE MUNSTERS (she didn't care for it) and THE BIRDS II (she thought it good) on her and I'm running out of "Mom-Friendly" new watches.

Got one in last night, took me two nights to watch. With my age and bad eyes I find subtitles exhaust me and make me fall asleep so trying to knock off as many subtitled movies as I can this month is going to be an ordeal. :S

009 10/04 White Dress For Mariale (1972) 3/5 This one is another giallo “Ten Little Indians” remix as a woman traumatized by witnessing her father do a murder suicide of her mother as a child invites a group of friends to her castle that she’s basically locked up in with her controlling husband. Frankly it’s a bit of a confusing mess with alternatively not much happening and too much happening with little explanation before rambling towards a pretty predictable ending. That said, it has style, the cast is likeable for the most part and it’s so well made on a technical level that it’s never really dull. As far as the genre goes you can do a lot better than this one, but it has its broken charm.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm confident that I'm the only person alive who prefers CREEPSHOW 2 over the first. I enjoy both but I think story two from part 2 is my favorite of the series.

I saw the first Creepshow at an early age so I'll always prefer it. But the flip to that is I seem to think that CAT'S EYE is just as good for the same reason and it just isn't.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
One of the toughest things for me in these challenges is reconciling watching as many movies as I can with my caregiver duties with my now 84 yo mom. As a result I'm breaking my personal "no tv" rule and started watching "Haunting of Bly Manor" since they're hour long eps and work better with mom's early bed time. Yeah, I'm still making her watch these with me and she's bound to see something horrible eventually now that I've forced THE MUNSTERS (she didn't care for it) and THE BIRDS II (she thought it good) on her and I'm running out of "Mom-Friendly" new watches.

Got one in last night, took me two nights to watch. With my age and bad eyes I find subtitles exhaust me and make me fall asleep so trying to knock off as many subtitled movies as I can this month is going to be an ordeal. :S

009 10/04 White Dress For Mariale (1972) 3/5 This one is another giallo “Ten Little Indians” remix as a woman traumatized by witnessing her father do a murder suicide of her mother as a child invites a group of friends to her castle that she’s basically locked up in with her controlling husband. Frankly it’s a bit of a confusing mess with alternatively not much happening and too much happening with little explanation before rambling towards a pretty predictable ending. That said, it has style, the cast is likeable for the most part and it’s so well made on a technical level that it’s never really dull. As far as the genre goes you can do a lot better than this one, but it has its broken charm.
Whatever happens, treasure this time with mom; I lost mine last September and the regret that was associated with the situation -- because we were estranged -- has been eating me alive from the inside out for a year now.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I saw the first Creepshow at an early age so I'll always prefer it. But the flip to that is I seem to think that CAT'S EYE is just as good for the same reason and it just isn't.
Creepshow 2 is so underrated; I love the cigar store Indian sequence as well as the "blob in the lake"...

I cannot believe I don't have either of these in my disc collection (probably held off buying at least the first one because of the end cockroach scene that always freaked me out).

And I love Cat's Eye -- I think the whole "James Woods stalked by Alan King's anti-smoking goons" angle was incredibly effective. Another one, along with Graveyard Shift, I gotta pick up on disc...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks