What's new

***Official 22nd Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2021*** (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
So, I have the new Dementia 13 blu set aside for this as well. Now, I have seen Dementia 13 before but this is a new director's cut of the picture...does that mean it counts as a new film? I think there are only a couple minutes trimmed.

I'm leaning toward this would not be counted as new but this is the third cut of the film.
I list when it's an uncut/extended/director's cut and note if that version is new to me. So while I've seen the previous versions of Dementia 13, I'd count the director's cut as a new viewing.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was debating on what to watch since I have to program "Mom Friendly" movies for the evening so I'm thinking I may do a Hammer horror run since I haven't watched some of them and I don't think I ever ran them in a horror challenge.
Every year my mother asks me if there's a new "Saw" movie that we can watch during Halloween season. :oops: So this year we'll probably be watching Spiral some night. We just caught up with Jigsaw last year.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Every year my mother asks me if there's a new "Saw" movie that we can watch during Halloween season. :oops: So this year we'll probably be watching Spiral some night. We just caught up with Jigsaw last year.
Haha! My mom is 83yo and I look after her. Every year I give a new film a go and it ends up being way gorier than I thought it would be lol. I don't think she ever forgave me for "Antiviral." Then again, the year we watched the original The Blob, I never heard the end of it so who knows what will stick with her. :lol:

She's not a big fan of October, but she did enjoy the universal monster run I did a few years ago so I figure Hammer should be a safe bet. I'm starting early with Quartermas so it shouldn't get too explicit by the end of the month.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Open Water 3-film Collection blu ray at my Walmart store for $5. I also got a email notice that digital copies are waiting for me to unlock. That was a surprise! I guess you have to make sure you are signed up at walmart.com. I haven't seen the 3rd but love the other 2. So unnerving and perfect for October movie-thons.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I was debating on what to watch since I have to program "Mom Friendly" movies for the evening so I'm thinking I may do a Hammer horror run since I haven't watched some of them and I don't think I ever ran them in a horror challenge.
Awesome. I just compiled some Hammer titles to watch over the challenge. "The Reptile" being my favorite of the bunch, I can't wait to see it again. Might have to wait until a gray, overcast day to fit the mood!

The great thing about Hammer films is that most of the horror titles are "family friendly". Early 70's hammer changed, but I still like them.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I have to mention the micro-budget independent Crescent too. I got that from Dollar Tree month or so back. A dvd with another dvd that has 2 other movies. 33 cents each! Crescent is worth it though. It reminded me of Messiah of Evil, Carnival of Souls, Lets Scare Jessican to Death, Goodnight Mommy. stuff like that. Slow build, visually very good. Unique in scoring as well. highly recommended.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I went to a 45th Anniversary screening of CARRIE last night. Fathom has a pretty good line up of horror movies for next month, although the ticket prices seem to be getting higher for each new event.

I actually just got done going through every room in the house and collecting the horror titles I bought this year but never got around to watch. Time to stack them on the entertainment center and get going at midnight.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Many Saints of Newark opens tomorrow, and since it's on HBO Max and will be gone from there before the end of the month, I guess I'll have to watch it before I get started on horror flicks.

I'm open to suggestions of horror movies that are on NetFlix, Prime, and HBO Max that I might not have seen.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Fathom has a pretty good line up of horror movies for next month, although the ticket prices seem to be getting higher for each new event.
Availability seems to depend on the theater. I guess they get to pick and choose which films they show. The only Fathom horror at my local theater is Saturday's Dracula/Frankenstein double feature. Admission for that is $12.50.

They do have Silence of the Lambs coming up on the 17th, but I think of that more as a thriller than horror. (But it would certainly count if someone includes it on their list.)

But that's it. Other October offerings are only two Miyazaki films and Rad, the BMX biking film from 1986. :huh: Shame, as I'd love to see the original Evil Dead in a theater.

Last edited:

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Last night I watched the new Netflix chiller No One Gets Out Alive. I liked it. It's an atmospheric, creepy exercise that doesn't answer all the questions it raises. But that didn't bother me because I liked the main character and the film doesn't overstay its welcome (it's about 87 minutes). The ending is original, brutal and freaky. I'd definitely watch it again.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Also don't forget the new series "Chucky" from Don Mancini (the original creator) begins on SyFy and USA Network on 10/12. This is intended to follow Cult of Chucky (2017) and has nothing to do with the recent Child's Play remake from 2019 which had no involvement from Mancini (aside from writing/story credits related to the adaptation of the original film).

Brad Dourif also returns as the voice of Chucky (Mark Hamill did the voice in the 2019 film), and Alex Vincent returns as Andy Barclay (the boy from the original film).

Last edited:

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
Last night I watched the new Netflix chiller No One Gets Out Alive. I liked it. It's an atmospheric, creepy exercise that doesn't answer all the questions it raises. But that didn't bother me because I liked the main character and the film doesn't overstay its welcome (it's about 87 minutes). The ending is original, brutal and freaky. I'd definitely watch it again.
I look forward to watching it! Thanks for telling us about it.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Availability seems to depend on the theater. I guess they get to pick and choose which films they show. The only Fathom horror at my local theater is Saturday's Dracula/Frankenstein double feature. Admission for that is $12.50.

They do have Silence of the Lambs coming up on the 17th, but I think of that more as a thriller than horror. (But it would certainly count if someone includes it on their list.)

But that's it. Other October offerings are only two Miyazaki films and Rad, the BMX biking film from 1986. :huh: Shame, as I'd love to see the original Evil Dead in a theater.

Yeah my nearest theater is being weird on these. They play the monthly Fathom Event / TCM showings but they didn't play CARRIE and they're not doing SCREAM or the Universal Double Features. But they are doing THE EVIL DEAD. So I'm going to have to drive a bit further to see some of these. An even further theater is playing that new Boris Karloff documentary starting Friday and I'll probably go check it out just because there will be film clips in it where this will be the only way to see them on a big screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks