What's new

***Official 22nd Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2021*** (1 Viewer)

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
105. Tales From The Crypt Terror Television
Like the episode below, these are both usually highly rated episodes, however, for me, they are not in the upper echelon. They don't have the same playfulness or irony of many of the episodes in the series. Thus, they didn't entertain me as much as so many before and after them. Both episodes are 2.5 out of 5 for me.

106. Tales From The Crypt Easel Kill Ya
See above.

107. Voorhees: A Friday the 13th Fan Film (NEW)
OK, this was surprising. I found it completely by accident. Friday the 13th Part 7 was mentioned earlier today in the thread here and I went on YouTube to see the trailer, when the link to this fan film came up. I thought I'd give it a whirl. Honestly - it has pretty good production values, not only for a fan film, but for a low budget horror picture in general. The story is ho-hum, the acting is spotty (some good, some laughable), but Voorhees himself - pretty darn good and brutal. Also - the makeup and effects were just wonderful for this type of film. It has north of 1.5 million views. I can see why. 3 out of 5 for their effort.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
October 27: Spring (2014) – 4 out of 5 - First Time Viewing

Evan (Lou Taylor Pucci), a young American, following the death of his parents and a nasty bar fight that has the cops looking for him, hops on a plane to backpack around Italy. He meets Louise (Nadia Hilker), an enigmatic woman and forms a connection, but she’s not exactly what she seems.

Spring is a very good film that hues heavily into the romance and dramatic realm despite orbiting around this very horror-centric conceit. From the talented directors of The Endless, Resolution, and Synchronic, three films that have left a strong impression on me. Their directorial style is disarmingly naturalistic, with lots of handheld (but not wobbly) camera (though Synchronic was a little more traditional in its filming technique), giving you the feeling of being invisible around the characters as they experience inexplicable things. Spring lives and dies on the strength of its two lead performances, and Pucci and Hilker are tremendously good. They’re working from a smart, conversational dialogue-heavy script and it’s that sense of the interestingly normal that allows the horror and primordial ‘creature’ elements to land with an audacious punch. It’s brilliant.

At the heart of this film is a meditation on humanity and connection, life and death, and the meaning of moments, all fascinating threads in a film that carries deep horror veins beneath its romance and drama trappings. This was a wonderful surprise and one I’ll revisit again soon.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
Watching Young Frankenstein, and 2 things come to mind with Gene Wilder and the gang up on the screen:

1) I can't believe that after all these years I still giggle as though I never heard the jokes before (particularly the Frau Blucher joke).

2) Existential and obviously then a very, extremely, tremendously, stupendously potentially Earth-shattering question - would we consider Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory a movie suitable for the scary movie challenge?

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Watching Young Frankenstein, and 2 things come to mind with Gene Wilder and the gang up on the screen:

1) I can't believe that after all these years I still giggle as though I never heard the jokes before (particularly the Frau Blucher joke).

2) Existential and obviously then a very, extremely, tremendously, stupendously potentially Earth-shattering question - would we consider Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory a movie suitable for the scary movie challenge?

Between the guy pushing the Scythe cart and the tunnel scene, sure. Whatever creeps you out counts.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
I was actually thinking about trying to include Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory in this October's viewing, but it doesn't look like I'll have enough time to squeeze it in. Maybe next October (and probably before then as well).

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
24. The Masque of the Red Death (1964) – My favorite of the Vincent Price/Roger Corman collaborations. Price is outstanding as the evil Prince Prospero who seeks to shelter himself and his debauched guests from the red death that plagues the countryside. Corman takes full advantage of a bigger budget and with shooting in England. The supporting cast is excellent, the sets and costumes are gorgeous, and all is shown off by the beautiful cinematography. A near masterpiece.

:emoji_skull: :emoji_skull: :emoji_skull: :emoji_skull: 🦴

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
October 24: Werewolves Within (2021) – 4.5 out of 5 – First Time Viewing

Finn Wheeler (Sam Richardson) arrives in the sleepy small town of Beaverfield to start his job as a forest ranger, but he finds the locals to be an oddball bunch of characters, swallowed by disagreements over a proposed gas pipeline. While he makes quick friends with Cecily (Mulana Vayntrub), which whom he finds a warm connection, he’s picked the worst time possible as the town is plunged into darkness with no power, cut off from the rest of the world from a snowstorm, and, oh yeah, there’s apparently a werewolf somewhere in their midst.

I love this movie. I’m a fan of Sam Richardson already and this just solidifies my belief that he’s got an incredible comedic gift – his timing is amazing. I’ve always enjoyed the mashup between horror and comedy, and the key is to have the comedy driven by a great script and strong comedic performances, while the horror \and tension is real and potent. That’s what Werewolves Within offers. It may hedge on the horror from time to time, but the kooky collection of characters is a hoot and every performance absolutely on point. It also helps that the story is good and the finale fun.

This is the second year in a row that I’ve discovered a werewolf horror comedy that resonated with me. Last year it was The Wolf of Snow Hollow, and this year, this great adaptation of a video game (though it doesn’t at all look or feel like it was born from the video game world). I loved this film and already want to watch it again as I get the sense that there’s even more comedy I missed the first time around with all the quick fire dialogue.
I like this movie and it has the bonus of Lily of AT&T in the first acting role I’ve seen her in. She fits right in with the other townsfolk.
October 26: Little Monsters (2019) – 4 out of 5 – First Time Viewing

Dave (Alexander England), a loser musician moves in with his sister and her son, Felix, after a nasty break up. He’s pathetic, childish, selfish, and going nowhere in life. When he takes Felix to kindergarten, he meets the incredible and beautiful Miss Caroline (Lupita Nyong’o) and finds himself signing up to join the class on a school trip to an amazing outdoor petting zoo. Things seem to be going well until the U.S. military base down the road from the zoo suffers a catastrophic breach and the release of a horde of the undead.

Little Monsters, made and set in Australia, is terrific. It’s very, very funny as the immature, flummoxed, and oddly likable loser, Dave, but the super star of this film is Lupita Nyong’o who delights as the teacher who’ll do anything to protect her kids not only from the marauding zombies, but from them even knowing that they’re in danger (she pretends the zombies are playing a game of tag). The gore is unafraid of showing itself and that makes the humor even funnier.

The plot arc is familiar, but it’s the performances and predicaments that make this one a delight. It also helps that the Dave character enjoys an honest-to-goodness arc, and the film isn’t afraid of making you feel the feels by the time the credits roll. This was a blast. Loved it.
I just watched the trailer and it looks good and funny. Hurrah, it’s on Hulu which I get.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Frankenstein' Daughter (1958) FTV
IMG_4171.JPG

Trudy, and her sweet uncle Carter (scientist) live a somewhat peaceful life, until Carter's assistant Oliver Frank starts drugging Trudy with Frankenstein serum. Oliver is a real piece of work, and I wanted to see him get his head chopped off within the first twenty minutes of the film. He is mean to old Carter, harasses his niece, and then has the nerve to turn her into a monster by drugging her fruit punch. But it doesn't stop there. Being the creeper that he is Oliver Frank(enstein) soon turns his attention to Trudy's friend Suzie who welcomes his sexual advances. Suzie in her own right is a vicious, despicable person so she is evenly paired with Oliver. Needless to say he wants a full, reanimated monster in the truest Frankenstein tradition and he gets it. The monster is sort of clownish looking.

The Blu-Ray transfer of this film is gorgeous. Perfect actually. And the special features (a 1983 time capsule interview with the director from his then video store is spectacular) are really good. Also has subtitles. Attractive cast for sure. I really enjoyed this movie.

Grade - B

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
October 27th
115. Quatermass and the Pit (1967) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
I finish the trilogy/quadrilogy...

A mysterious artifact is unearthed in London, and famous scientist Bernard Quatermass is called into to divine its origins and explain its strange effects on people.

Blending myth with ancient "invasion" this succeeds greatly. It's my hands-down favorite of the Quatermass films. No, it doesn't worth within the framework of "X..." and is its own mythology. Insect creatures came from Mars 5 million years ago and helped emerging man rise to dominate the world. That influence is still in racial memory and the insect creatures are seen as "The Devil." The unearthed ship triggers psychic abilities in humans and it's a wild ride.

116. Blood from the Mummy's Tomb (1971) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
Had to rewatch - too many talked about it and it was very handy on the shelf.

An archaeological expedition brings back to London the coffin of an Egyptian queen known for her magical powers. Her spirit returns in the form of a young girl and strange things start to happen.

A troubled production (lost both its director and main star) based on Bram Stoker's "The Jewel of the Seven Stars" (1917) it is a better film than it you'd think. It departs from the traditional mummy film as there's no bandaged, shuffling, creature wandering the countryside looking for vengeance. Instead it's mostly mysticism with an ancient Egyptian queen who's in a miraculously good state of preservation (blood still flows from an amputated hand) now returned to life as the daughter of one of the expedition members who discovered and robbed her tomb. I waffled before deciding on 6/10 as it's, overall, just not really quite that good but ultimately rewarded it for being just a bit different.

117. Dracula (aka The Horror of Dracula) (1958) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
Hammer's first Dracula film.

Jonathan Harker engenders the ire of Count Dracula after he accepts a job at the vampire's castle under false pretenses, forcing his colleague Dr. Van Helsing to hunt the predatory villain when he targets Harker's loved ones.

Using many bits from Stoker's book it also deviates significantly, to great effect. To fully appreciate just *what's* been changed one needs to have read Stoker's book (I'll wait...)... Significant events are still present, although altered, Harker is no longer an estate manager but a vampire hunter, disguised as a librarian, out to take down Dracula in his lair. And then, Harker's friends and family are targeted as Van Helsing attempts to both protect them and kill Dracula himself. The ending chase and final demise of Dracula is exciting and well staged. The entire film moves at a nice pace and has some superb performances. It's one of my favorite versions of the novel.

One of these days, someone's going to try and tell the story as it appears in the novel. So many films have bits and pieces but none have captured the opening chapters well nor tell that part of the novel in anything close to the chilling way it appears in the book. Even the parts with the sanitarium are toned down/edited significantly. Everyone mostly seems focused on what happens once Dracula appears in London. That's not necessarily bad, but by doing so there's so much of the story untold that's just as chilling as its conclusion.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
One of these days, someone's going to try and tell the story as it appears in the novel. So many films have bits and pieces but none have captured the opening chapters well nor tell that part of the novel in anything close to the chilling way it appears in the book. Even the parts with the sanitarium are toned down/edited significantly. Everyone mostly seems focused on what happens once Dracula appears in London. That's not necessarily bad, but by doing so there's so much of the story untold that's just as chilling as its conclusion.
Have you watched the BBC's recent 3-part Dracula miniseries adaptation? It's three 90-minute episodes. The first episode is in Transylvania, the second is on the ship's voyage, and the third is set in London. It does take some liberties with the story, especially as it goes on, but I really loved the first two parts as it spends a lot of time in Transylvania and on the Demeter which, as you noted, are quite often rushed and glossed over by most adaptations. It kind of fell apart in the third episode for me, but was still interesting. Last I knew, it was available on Netflix.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Have you watched the BBC's recent 3-part Dracula adaptation? It's three 90-minute episodes. The first episode is in Transylvania, the second is on the ship's voyage, and the third is set in London. It does take some liberties with the story, especially as it goes on, but I really loved the first two parts as it spends a lot of time in Transylvania and on the Demeter which, as you noted, are quite often rushed and glossed over by most adaptations. It kind of fell apart in the third episode for me, but was still interesting. Last I knew, it was available on Netflix.
I have not. I do not have Netflix as there's not enough there to justify paying the monthly fee. Found it on Amazon for ~$10 (R2 DVD - I'm region free for DVD but not BR) so am considering a purchase.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have not. I do not have Netflix as there's not enough there to justify paying the monthly fee. Found it on Amazon for ~$10 (R2 DVD - I'm region free for DVD but not BR) so am considering a purchase.
The great thing about Netflix, and streaming services in general, is that there's no commitment. Sign up for a month, watch all the content that interests you, then cancel your subscription before it renews. $14 for a month of HD, and $18 for a month of UHD. Less than the cost of a typical Blu-ray title.

I also enjoyed the BBC Dracula miniseries. Sure, like all adaptations it does take some liberties with the story in the novel, but Claes Bang makes for a devilish and ominous Count. Quite entertaining. The first two parts are the best IMO. It sort of goes off the rails once he gets to London, but still worth a watch.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Rating - Out of a possible 4
skull.gif

100) 10/27/2021 Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)
skull.gif
skull.gif

Count Dracula is brought back to life in 1972 England by one of his followers. He spends his time though in a dilapidated church and orders room service. Horribly dated by fashion, language, etc. because the filmmakers were so darned determined to make a modern-day Dracula for the kids. ("It'll be a giggle!") The only positives are Christopher Lee, who manages to keep a straight face, and the return of Peter Cushing as a Van Helsing descendant.

101) 10/27/2021 The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973)
skull.gif

Having watched all the Hammer Dracula films only reveals just how bad this one really is. Neither Cushing nor Lee can save it. Dracula plans biological warfare against the human race because - get this - he actually wants to finally die so he'll wipe out his own food supply. (That's what Van Helsing argues anyway.) Most of the film is more spy-thriller with assassins riding motorcycles and picking off those who threaten the great plan. Lee is hardly in the movie, playing Dracula as a reclusive businessman. The gratuitous nudity is downright laughable at times, showing how desperate these people were. Cushing and Lee deserved better.

102) 10/28/2021 The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974)
skull.gif
skull.gif

Set in 1904, before the events of the previous Dracula film, Peter Cushing plays another Van Helsing who's lecturing in China and is asked to help hunt down a gaggle of vampires. He's joined by some Kung-Fu vampire hunters. Novel and very busy, with a rather silly plot point involving Dracula. Hammer's penultimate horror film (before the 21st Century revival) is mindless fun to a point.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
18) Overlord (2018) - 3/5
A group of WWII paratroopers are dropped behind enemy lines to a small French village prior to D-Day in order to knock out a transmitter and to facilitate the impending invasion. They discover the Nazis are up to more than frequency jamming.

I think this movie doesn't quite deliver as the "bonkers" horror story it was intended to be. It ends up being more everyday than it should be. Plus, the fiction here isn't as far from reality as it could be. Not literally, but philosophically. I was left a little torn over the fact what was actually going on in that place and time was probably worse, and very real, than the fiction portrayed here.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
17. SPOOK BUSTERS (1946) – THE BOWERY BOYS VOLUME 2 DVD Set (WB)

This early Bowery Boys Feature by Monogram marks the first of four in that long running series with a spooky and/or monster theme, featuring Leo Gorcey, Huntz Hall and company (A fifth entry, SPOOK CHASERS from 1957, was made after Leo Gorcey left the series!) as Exterminators. Interestingly, three of them are in this volume, including GHOST CHASERS (1951), and THE BOWERY BOYS MEET THE MONSTERS (1954). All of them are fun passer timers, especially for Bowery Boys fans!

Satch (Huntz Hall) and friend!
screenshot977.jpg

For a "B" Movie series, the Bowery Boys features often boasted some pretty strong supporting casts. With the likes of Charles Middleton and Douglas Dumbrille, SPOOK BUSTERS (1946) was no exception! An uncredited Maurice Cass (Best remembered as the school principal in the 1936 'Our Gang' short ARBOR DAY) is on the far left.
screenshot987.jpg

Perennial supporting player in numerous "A" pictures of the day, Chester Clute also makes an appearance!
screenshot978.jpg

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
18) Overlord (2018) - 3/5
A group of WWII paratroopers are dropped behind enemy lines to a small French village prior to D-Day in order to knock out a transmitter and to facilitate the impending invasion. They discover the Nazis are up to more than frequency jamming.

I think this movie doesn't quite deliver as the "bonkers" horror story it was intended to be. It ends up being more everyday than it should be. Plus, the fiction here isn't as far from reality as it could be. Not literally, but philosophically. I was left a little torn over the fact what was actually going on in that place and time was probably worse, and very real, than the fiction portrayed here.
I think I liked it more than you but it’s an interesting thought that the realities of that war were worse than what we see here. I don’t know they were going for wildly more horrific, but rather a little grounded but just an unusual horror angle to the war.

Now, at the risk of self-promotion, I did do an interview with one of the stars of the film when it came out if you’re interested :)

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
Another day of too many patients, too little time, and consequently, shorter reviews:

108. Tales From The Crypt About Face
After a pair of disappointing episodes in a row, it was great to see one that rocked. This one was interesting to watch given the recent release of Malignant. That's all I'll say about that. Wonderful episode. 4 out of 5.

109. Young Frankenstein
Nothing to say except 11 out of 5. Maybe 12 out of 5.

110. The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror 7
As noted in an earlier post, I'm going to fall WAY short of my goal of watching all 31 Treehouse of Horror episodes. Oh well. They're all great and it'll be a fun watch whenever I get to them. 5 out of 5.

111. Vampyres 1974 (NEW)
T and A and V. Oh... get your minds out of the gutters, kiddies. V is for vampire. Although.... :)
Anyway, I love the 70s vibe and this one here gets it perfectly. Filmed in some Hammer locations, this is a fun film with buckets of gore and sex that doesn't overstay its welcome. Can't say I'll watch it again, but I'm glad I gave it a view this one time. 3 out of 5.

112. Hellraiser (NEWISH)
Really effective horror flick that I have only seen bits and pieces of over the years. I've always wanted to watch the whole film and can't recall whatever took me away whenever I would begin watching. Like Phantasm, I enjoyed the film enough to keep watching the series. I've heard the sequels are nowhere as good - does anyone want to chime in? Anyway, as for this 1st one, I'm giving it a 4 out of 5 and will definitely watch it again.

113. Frankenstein's Daughter (NEW)
Watched this one today during lunch after seeing it spoken of in this thread. Excellent take of the Frankenstein story packaged up in the 1950s. Really fun film with pretty cheesy but awesome creature effects, a good story, and a fast pace.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think I liked it more than you but it’s an interesting thought that the realities of that war were worse than what we see here. I don’t know they were going for wildly more horrific, but rather a little grounded but just an unusual horror angle to the war.

Now, at the risk of self-promotion, I did do an interview with one of the stars of the film when it came out if you’re interested :)

That detail occurred to me as I was watching the movie, which I have to admit, toned down my enthusiasm.

This would be an effective double feature with Shadow in the Clouds, which I actually preferred, just from the "this is totally bonkers" factor.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

Howie, have you seen the 1977 BBC version, Count Dracula? It is far and away the most faithful adaptation of Stoker's novel. By BBC standards, it is a lush and stylish production, though it was made (as was the fashion of the time) with interior studio scenes shot on videotape and exterior scenes (of which there are many, especially during the conclusion) on 16mm film.. It stars Louis Jourdan as Dracula, Frank Finlay as Van Helsing and Susan Penhaligon as Lucy and Judi Bowker as Mina.

According to Wikipedia, author David J. Skal called it "the most careful adaptation of the novel to date, and the most successful." I'd agree wholeheartedly with that. It's long enough (155 minutes) to do the events of the novel justice. It's not perfect, of course, nor 100% faithful to the book, but it's as close as anyone's yet bothered to come on film, IMO. For a long time the DVD went for under $10, but now it's OOP and going for ridiculous prices on Amazon. Luckily, the whole shebang is on YouTube:

Last edited:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
October 27th
115. Quatermass and the Pit (1967) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
I finish the trilogy/quadrilogy...

A mysterious artifact is unearthed in London, and famous scientist Bernard Quatermass is called into to divine its origins and explain its strange effects on people.

I too watched Quartermass and the Pit last night and boy did I love it! I'll also vouch for how good the BBC 1977 Count Dracula was. Watched it in a previous challenge with a friend who sneers at most things from before the 80s that aren't action picture and he dug it too. Genuinely creepy, that one.

077 10/27 Quatermass & The Pit (1967) 4.5/5 A tunnel repair excavation uncovers large skulls that is the start to one of the most extraordinary blending of folklore and sci-fi I have ever seen. Starts off like a quiet weird mystery that builds brilliantly and packs a heck of a punch 50 years later. Each of these Hammer Quatermass films have been fantastic, this one might be the best.

078 10/27 Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday (1993) 2.5/5 This one starts with Jason getting blowed up real good which results in a parasite looking thing working its way through people to get to a Vorheese relation. It makes for a pretty crappy entry in the F13 series, but as it’s own thing it isn’t really that bad. While the lead dude is far from likable, the filmmakers do pile on the gore in the unrated cut and it mostly plays okay for the genre in the ‘90s. It's that it’s a F13 film without Jason (the second one in the franchise!) for most of the film that kills it and it’s probably best remembered for the prick tease ending. A three star movie saddled by being a betrayer of the franchise it’s part of. Knocked down from my four star previous rating. I have no idea what was going on in 2006 when I rated it that high, must have been the gore discovered in the unrated cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks