What's new

***Official 22nd Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2021*** (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
One recommendation in particular came from Malcolm - Found (2012) playing on Shudder.
Not sure if I'm flattered or frightened. :D :eek: I don't know about the accuracy of the psychological aspects all the way through, but the ending is bonkers, IMO, even compared to what comes before.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
Not sure if I'm flattered or frightened. :D :eek: I don't know about the accuracy of the psychological aspects all the way through, but the ending is bonkers, IMO, even compared to what comes before.
Both flattered and frightened are likely appropriate. :)

So I'm guessing you read my spoiler on the Horror Appreciation thread?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Both flattered and frightened are likely appropriate. :)

So I'm guessing you read my spoiler on the Horror Appreciation thread?
I hadn't, but have now. I don't mind Hollywood gore: I've watched all the Saw films, the Hostels, the Texas Chainsaw Massacres. But Found was very unsettling, probably for the reasons you mention.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
I hadn't, but have now. I don't mind Hollywood gore: I've watched all the Saw films, the Hostels, the Texas Chainsaw Massacres. But Found was very unsettling, probably for the reasons you mention.
Yes. that's my guess. It's also why so many people are both fascinated and horrified by my job when I tell them what I do. I love it and it's fun to me. But I definitely understand why the majority of people would not want my career.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I just started last night putting together the films I will be watching. Not very far into it yet but the big thing I try to do is find some things I have not seen before to watch. Here's a preview of some of the new titles I will be checking out in October:

Fear No Evil -This is a Kino release on Blu-ray of what is I guess a long forgotten TV movie. Basically, it is an occult thriller that was meant to be the precursor to a series that did not happen.

Ritual of Evil - This is on the same Kino disc and is the second TV film based around this occult investigator character. Said to be not as good as the first picture and the likely reason the series did not happen. I figure these will be a fun double feature of classic late sixties early seventies TV movies.

Disappearance at Clifton Hill - Fun fact about this one and what attracted me to it is that David Cronenberg has a key role in it playing a conspiracy minded weirdo. Sounds perfect for him and he at the time I had heard about this was retired from directing. Good news is he is said to be directing a new picture!

There are a couple pictures I want to watch which are streaming only I think so I have to look those up and see where I can see them.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Not new titles but I have them out as part of my October viewing...

Friday the 13th

Friday the 13th II

Friday the 13th 3 in 3D

I had been reading some things about the Friday the 13th pictures and this got me interested in watching these. Also I moved to an area where I am basically in a forest. My house is surrounded by forest and there are 38 acres of forest across the street. So, woodland horror seemed to hit the spot.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This challenge is usually my time to rewatch all the golden age Universal monster and 70's/80's slasher movies but I plan to take a look at those Fear Street movies on Netflix, the new Halloween is a must, and I'm sure I'll catch one or two other things somewhere.

Not new titles but I have them out as part of my October viewing...

Friday the 13th

Friday the 13th II

Friday the 13th 3 in 3D

I had been reading some things about the Friday the 13th pictures and this got me interested in watching these. Also I moved to an area where I am basically in a forest. My house is surrounded by forest and there are 38 acres of forest across the street. So, woodland horror seemed to hit the spot.
If you're brave enough to go deeper into the abyss of F13, the fourth and sixth movies are seen as high points in the series. And the fifth and eighth ones are "so bad, they're good".

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Host is one of the pictures that I will watch streaming. It came to my attention through Josh Olsen and Joe Dante's The Movies that Made Me podcast. It was a picture shot during lockdown and is about people on some kind of Zoom meeting summoning a demon by accident. Sounds like it could be decent or terrible based on the premise but Olsen and Dante liked it. Appears to be available on Shudder.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
This challenge is usually my time to rewatch all the golden age Universal monster and 70's/80's slasher movies but I plan to take a look at those Fear Street movies on Netflix, the new Halloween is a must, and I'm sure I'll catch one or two other things somewhere.

If you're brave enough to go deeper into the abyss of F13, the fourth and sixth movies are seen as high points in the series. And the fifth and eighth ones are "so bad, they're good".

I did not pick-up that big Friday the 13th box set and asked a friend that was really into the films if I should. He did not recommend it. However, I find going back to those 70s/80s slashers has been a lot of fun and I am enjoying them more now than I would have then. My friend said we saw Friday the 13th 3 in 3D together but I have no recollection of it. I have a copy of it on Blu-ray I have not watched that comes with the old red & blue glasses. I'm sort of very excited about seeing it for some reason I can't really explain, ha!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Host is one of the pictures that I will watch streaming. It came to my attention through Josh Olsen and Joe Dante's The Movies that Made Me podcast. It was a picture shot during lockdown and is about people on some kind of Zoom meeting summoning a demon by accident. Sounds like it could be decent or terrible based on the premise but Olsen and Dante liked it. Appears to be available on Shudder.
I heard them talk about that movie and while they have excellent taste, I find it very difficult to want to see more of Zoom after the last 18 months. That being said, I've been wrong before like when I saw Unfriended thinking "Why the hell am I seeing a Skype movie?" and I ended up liking it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Part VI - Jason Lives! has always been my favorite of the entire franchise. I rewatch that one regularly. I recently did get the big box set, so I'll probably be watching Part III in 3D for the first time.

I did not pick-up that big Friday the 13th box set and asked a friend that was really into the films if I should. He did not recommend it. However, I find going back to those 70s/80s slashers has been a lot of fun and I am enjoying them more now than I would have then. My friend said we saw Friday the 13th 3 in 3D together but I have no recollection of it. I have a copy of it on Blu-ray I have not watched that comes with the old red & blue glasses. I'm sort of very excited about seeing it for some reason I can't really explain, ha!
If you know someone with the recent big box, they'd have Part III in polarized 3D (not red/blue anaglyph), if you can borrow it.

I'm hoping to concentrate more on older/classic horror films this time. I have several box sets that I still haven't finished (or opened yet in some cases). Sets of Hammer, Vincent Price, the Christopher Lee Eurocrypt, etc., plus many individual titles from Kino and such.

I'm not entirely sure how much I'll get to watch this year, as I'm still scheduled to go on vacation at the end of the month (leaving Oct 29), so I'll need to wrap up my list a few days early. Also there will be vacation prep and football competing with what time I do have.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yeah, when they were discussing it I kept thinking this sounds like it could be awful but then they both said they really liked it and I think Olsen said he thought it was the best lockdown picture he had seen and he was jealous or something. I wrote it down at the time to try to check out later because I kept forgetting the title of it. Actually, there is another picture I want to see, it is streaming only I think, and I can't recall the title of that either, ha! I am trying to track it down.

It was supposedly a decent budgeted studio film that I guess got dumped and they released it but never promoted it and it basically vanished and had no home video release at all. So, pretty much few people have seen it and nobody has heard of it. Give me a minute and I will figure out what it is.

I heard them talk about that movie and while they have excellent taste, I find it very difficult to want to see more of Zoom after the last 18 months. That being said, I've been wrong before like when I saw Unfriended thinking "Why the hell am I seeing a Skype movie?" and I ended up liking it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Part VI - Jason Lives! has always been my favorite of the entire franchise. I rewatch that one regularly. I recently did get the big box set, so I'll probably be watching Part III in 3D for the first time.
Part VI is #3 for me behind Part 2 and The Final Chapter. For Part VI, they were smart enough to add some humor which was a big boost to making the movie entertaining.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
OK, found it, has anybody seen this? I have to check out how I can see it because I think it is streaming only. From what I have heard this is supposed to be a really good picture that got totally shafted for some reason...

As I understand it this trailer is misleading as it looks like one of those teens call a spirit and get in trouble pictures but it is much weirder than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks