***Official 21st Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2020***

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
2. Witness to Murder (1954) NEW – This was a new film for us probably because Hitchcock’s Rear Window released a month later continues to cast such a long shadow. The stories are similar. Here, Barbara Stanwyck gets up to close a window and sees what appears to be a murder in a neighboring apartment. When she can’t convince the police, she begins to investigate herself. George Saunders is great as the sleazy suspected murderer. A solid if not spectacular film.

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
When I have them in the unopened pile I add "horror" TV series to my October mix of horror movies. This year, the first in the queue is:

1601730774620.png

I've seen S1 before, borrowed from a friend, and was rather unimpressed. It was OK but nothing all that great. Classic horror characters are seemingly used as name droppers coupled with a somewhat lack of creativity. It really feels like someone trying to do Alan Moore's "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" more closely based on the comic than the lackluster movie. But it's not nearly as good, or well written, as I'd hope for such a project. S1 has some interesting moments but the misses far outnumber the hits. It *is* well produced and looks appropriate to the time in which it's set, I just wish it had better writing. Maybe that'll come on S2 and/or S3. I have them in the wings. Right now I'm on S1E4 and it's not playing any better for me than it did with that first viewing. Part of it is that it just moves *too* slow - like a horror soap opera (of course that style is the current trend for most dramatic shows so...). It's one of those where I want to like it but it's just not grabbing me.

So just why do I own this if I'd seen S1 and was unimpressed? Simple... Hamiltonbook.com had all 3 seasons on BR at an extremely good price (roughly $14 for all three) that made it an attractive purchase to see if I missed something with S1 and then judge it as a whole.

I finished last night with another (far too many to count) viewing of a favorite:

1601731504788.png

The Universal BR release (I own 6 copies of this one - 4 on DVD and 2 on BR).

No matter how many times I see this one I still love it and, remarkably, see new things on a regular basis. That long familiarity with the film makes it possible to follow the action while examining the frame for all those little things you'd normally miss (just *why* are there armadillo's in a Transylvania castle? They originated in South America and have only migrated to mostly south-central North America.)

Lugosi *is* Dracula for me. His delivery defines the character (even though it's primarily due to his inadequate grasp of the English language). The first part of the film, where Renfield goes to the castle, is superb and has great atmosphere. You feel the dread. Much of that, unfortunately, is lost once the action moves to London. I blame it on an inadequate adaptation of the book, which keeps that dread going very well. Frankly, it would have had to have been a much longer film to adequately put the book on the screen - something which *still* hasn't been done with any of the adaptations over the years. In spite of a weaker second half I still feel it works pretty well. My biggest regret is the writers deciding to give Renfield the bits that belong to Jonathan Harker. IMHO, that, more than anything else, is what truly hampers the London part of the film as Jonathan just isn't as invested as he is in the book. In spite of all that, I love this movie and watch it at least once a year, along with many of the other Universal Horror films.

I've introduced my kids and grandkids to the core films. My kids didn't particularly like them, my grandkids, so far, do.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
002 10/02 The Caller (1987) 3.5/5 Tight thriller about a woman who is spending time in her cabin when a gentleman shows up with car trouble needing to use a phone. It’s basically a two actor show with Malcolm McDowell and Madolyn Smith Osborne entering into a cat and mouse game that keeps escalating while getting stranger and stranger. Osborne is a bit theatrical for my taste, but overall they pull this one off and director Seidelman does a good job of building suspense and keeping things moving. This one was a real nice surprise and a little gem of a film.
I was hoping somebody would have this in their line-up. I watched it last month so it won't be in my list of October chillers. I loved it and thought it was a great little picture. The two actors did a great job and while the film is quite chatty and dialogue driven it builds to a wild climax. I do not think this is a very well known film so it will be a wonderful surprise for most people. Highly recommended!

Reactions: Russell G

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
THE CALLER was certainly one of Vinegar Syndrome's best non-adult titles.

Nail Gun Massacre (1985) **

Horrible slasher on every level except for the fact that it's so awful that you can't help but love it. There are so many unintentionally funny scenes that it's not fair one movie has so many. Then you've got the insane killer, the insane voice and the murder weapon, which is of course a nail gun. This movie is awful on so many levels yet once you see the thing it's impossible to forget. Plus, at least the director was smart enough to pump in enough blood, violence, nudity and sex for two movies.

Re-Animator (1985) ***

This here wasn't on my list for this year but a local theater played it so it was date night for the wife and I. It was cool getting to see this on a large screen and the wife was constantly turning her head away from the gore. I like this film but I've never really loved it like so many others do. But, Barbara Crampton, on the big screen. El perfect.

Memorial Valley Massacre (1988) **

Cameron Mitchell opens a new campground and on the opening weekend people start to die. This is a very weird slasher that appears to be made by someone who doesn't like slashers. All of the elements are here but there's very little to nothing that happens for the first hour and once things do pick up we're treated with some very stupid kills. The film really lacks any sort of imagination but I did like the setting and the cast was fun. The Vinegar Syndrome restoration was amazing and especially if you saw this picture back in the day via one of the public domain releases.

The Masque of the Red Death (1989) **

1989 gave us two versions of this. This here is the Harry Alan Towers one with Herbert Lom in the lead. This here is basically a slasher movie where the majority of the budget went into the castle, the costumes and there's even a rock band playing. I somewhat liked this but the film has a rather weak story, some boring characters and the direction just isn't there. It was still fun seeing Lom, scream queen Michelle McBride and Frank Stallone playing a Duke.

Reactions: Russell G

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Rating - Out of a possible 4

008) 10/02/2020 Doctor X (1932)
1/2

The Moon Killer is on the prowl, and Dr. Xavier (Lionel Atwill) thinks he can discover the murderer's identity by recreating the most recent crime in his laboratory. Things don't go as planned. If it weren't for Lee Tracy's reporter's intrusive would-be comedy relief, this would be a four star flick. There are terrific sets and atmosphere, a creepy looking villain, and synthetic flesh! Fay Wray screams a lot too. But every time Tracy opens his mouth, I cringe.

009) 10/02/2020 White Zombie (1932)

Bela Lugosi plays zombie master Murder Legendre who's hired by wealthy plantation owner to put the whammy on bride he covets. But Legendre has plans of his own. Lugosi does great work here, and the film weaves a fine spell, with many powerful images. Also very good is Joseph Cawthorne in the Van Helsing role. One of the best of the low budget horrors.

010) 10/03/2020 Unholy Tales (1932)
1/2

German thriller takes a different approach to the anthology film by attempting to combine three separate short story adaptations into one tale. Paul Wegener (The Golem) murders his wife a la Edgar Allan Poe's "The Black Cat", flees to an asylum where the inmates have taken over (Poe's "The System of Dr. Tarr and Mr. Feather"), and ultimately winds up running "The Suicide Club" (Robert Louis Stevenson), all while being pursued by determined reporter. Entertaining horror-comedy has some good moments but the seams show. Last tale works the best.

011) 10/03/2020 The Most Dangerous Game (1932)

The hunters become the hunted in what is probably the best version of Richard Connell's short story. Leslie Banks makes a great Count Zaroff, a Cossak who's made his small-island home a trap for passing vessels and their survivors. Joel McCrea is the likeable sole survivor of the most recent crash, and Fay Wray screams a lot. Short and sweet, and very satisfying.

012) 10/03/2020 The Old Dark House (1932)

Has there ever been a more impressive cast in a horror film? I don't think so. Karloff, Charles Laughton, Raymond Massey, Melvyn Douglas, Ernest Thesiger, Gloria Stuart, etc. Travelers are forced to spend the night at the Femm household when a violent storm washes out the roads. There they encounter an eccentric family, one of whose members is a psycho. A truly great film that gets better with each viewing. Thesiger steals the show as the very nervous Horace Femm. James Whale confirms his status as the best genre director of the decade.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
[re: Penny Dreadful, S1] Right now I'm on S1E4 and it's not playing any better for me than it did with that first viewing. Part of it is that it just moves *too* slow - like a horror soap opera (of course that style is the current trend for most dramatic shows so...). It's one of those where I want to like it but it's just not grabbing me.
Yes, IMO this is one of the downsides with the rise of premium TV series and streaming services producing content, an idea that might work fine in a feature film or possible trilogy is stretched out into a bloated 10-12 hours of series TV. Agree on the pacing for PD. I also have the other seasons on disc, but also kind of hesitate to start them if they're the same molasses-in-January pacing as S1.

I had similar issues with the series Castle Rock. I think I gave up after 2 or 3 episodes when I felt the plot had zero progression over the course of several hours.

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Slow start, but I hope to pick up in the coming days especially with the Cardinals out of the playoff.
First time viewings are in Red.

October 1
Cardinals vs. Padres
The Red Spectre (1907) This was on the Grotesqueries blu-ray from Thunderbean and Blue Mouse Studios. It is a compilation of short oddities.
The Red Spectre is a beautifully stencil colored short from Pathé directed by Ferdinand Zecca. I loved all the special effects.

October 2
Also from Grotesqueries:
Felix Woos Whoopee (1928)
Sure-Locked Homes (1928)
A pair of Felix the Cat cartoons that are delightfully surreal if not really scary.
The Fall of the House of Usher (1928) Webber & Watson
This is a very strange imagining of the Poe story. It has incredible visuals and seems to be almost an homage to The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. But it is confusing and repetitive. This print was tinted purple through most of the running time then switching to a garish orange. I am not sure if this is normal for this film or not. I have it on a few avant-garde collections and I'll have to investigate that.
Cardinals vs. Padres
And finally,
The House on Haunted Hill (1959) directed by William Castle and starring Vincent Price.
It was not as campy as I feared. The atmosphere, Price, and Elisha Cook overcome the preposterous story. I also did not see the twist coming at all. I watched this on TCM instead of trying to find my DVD. I'm looking forward to catching up on several of the older films that I have in my collection that I have not watched.
Susan,

Steve did a really good job on that release, had planned on viewing it myself ….. again

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
1) Brightburn (2019) 4/5 - I enjoyed this Psycho-Superman flick the first time I saw it. I don't understand why it's so poorly received. In fact, I generally enjoy the whole "dark" superhero genre. Probably more than the regular ones. It's also nice to have an 'R' rated horror flick. Far too many these days sterilize things for a PG-13. Anyway, the story is Superman, except in this case he embraces the opportunities his powers present in a slightly different way. Elizabeth Banks is excellent as the doting mother, who doesn't open her eyes until it's too late, and Jackson A. Dunn is awesomely creepy as Brandon (aka: Brightburn). A nice, concise, 90 minute thriller.

2) Trauma (1993) 1/5 - I guess I'm just not a Giallo fan. I try one out now and then, and some are OK, but they just don't do it for me. I'm not sure what it is. I have enjoyed some of the modern spins on them a bit more, such as Neon Demon and The Blackcoat's Daughter. Maybe it's time to give the new Suspiria a spin.

3) The Perfection (2018) 3/5 - A lot of recent horror movies seem to have a Rosemary's Baby vibe, and this is one of them. I've actually liked several of them, like Get Out, Hereditary and Lords of Salem, so it's a good trend in my book. Allison Williams plays a former world-class cellist who had to abandon her career to take care of her chronically ill mother. After her mother's passing, she reconnects with her former teacher and his current prodigy. They strike up a friendship and relationship, then there's bugs and lots of puking. As is too common in horror, it's the first half of a great idea, without a solid way to wrap it all up. So, even though it pretty much falls apart at the end, the ride is still worth it in my book.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
1601770003433.png

The Lost Boys :emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream:

After their mother's difficult divorce, brothers Sam & Michael and their mom travel to live with their grandfather in Santa Clara, California, also informally known as "the murder capital of the world". They soon discover all the missing persons are because of a gang of teenage vampires that terrorize the seaside town.

One of the iconic films of the 80's, using a cast of young actors popular at the time including Jason Patric, Jami Gertz, Kiefer Sutherland, and the two "Coreys", as well as veterans Dianne Wiest, Barnard Hughes, and Edward Herrmann. Well-directed by Joel Schumacher before he went all nipply in the Batman sequels. (IFC cable)

1601770597531.png

Psycho :emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream: 1/2

Marion Crane decides to steal $40k from her employer so she can marry her boyfriend, Sam. While driving to Sam's hometown, keeping just ahead of a suspicious policeman, she decides to stop for the night at the Bates Motel. Big mistake. The establishment has few customers since the building of the Interstate highway system and is run by the kindly Norman Bates as he cares for his invalid, yet domineering mother in the big creepy house nearby.

One of, if not the, first films of the slasher genre, Psycho is a near masterpiece by Alfred Hitchcock. I'm not sure if those raised on 80's slashers and modern horror find the film particularly scary, but I can certainly appreciate the pacing, tension, cinematography, and direction. (IFC cable)

whacky blacky

Second Unit
Real Name
shawn blackman
October 3

4. Black Water: Abyss (2020). FTV. Streamed. 2/5. Five friends explore a cave only to get trapped with water and one big ass crocodile.
Just seemed to be a boring version of Rogue (2007) and Crawl with toned down violence. I think its a sequel of sorts to Black Water (2007). Swim away from this one.

Reactions: Michael Elliott

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
October 3: Snatchers (2019) – 3.5 out of 5 – First Time Viewing

As if waking up after a date with her boyfriend pregnant wasn’t bad enough, High-schooler Sara discovers that she’s 8 months pregnant (overnight) with something that is absolutely not human. Within 24 hours she’s birthed ‘something’ and things are about to get very weird. Now Sara, along with her friend, Haley, must do something about it.

Snatchers is a fun mix of elements. Teen/high school setting and dynamics, with sharp-tongued comedy and wickedly good creature and gore effects, this is good fun. The leads, Mary Nepi as Sara and Gabrielle Elyse as Hayley, are a blast.

Scary movies that have fun with sharp wit and gross out effects don’t always work, but when they do, they’re worth sharing. So, I’m glad to share this one.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
1601773699044.png

The Exorcist :emoji_scream: :emoji_scream: :emoji_scream:

Young Regan has begun to exhibit some odd, uncharacteristic behaviors, which progress to downright vulgarity and violence. Numerous doctors perform every test known to medicine, and a few suggest psychiatrists as well. As a last resort, the doctors recommend Regan's mother seek an exorcism from the Catholic church. They don't believe there's any scientific basis involved, but that the psychological effects of the ritual may help Regan to feel "cured". Fathers Karras and Merrin arrive to begin the ritual.

The big daddy of exorcism/possession films, it may be nearly 50 years old but has not really lost any of its chilling suspense or shock value.

Watched this on IFC cable and it did not appear to be edited or censored in any way which was a little odd as I'd watched The Lost Boys earlier in the day and they were bleeping everything. Not sure if it was the time of day or what made the difference, but it was a little shocking to see the full unaltered version on basic cable at 5:30 in the afternoon.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Today's viewings were:

The rest of S1 of Penny Dreadful: It was a bit better than I remembered but I still think it moved far too slowly and was a bit disjointed.

1601776237904.png

The 3 movies in this set are just... bad.

Attack of the Mayan Mummy is the absolutely worst movie I've seen in a long time. I got the impression they had major sound issues as much of the film is narrated even though it's obvious people on screen are talking. It features truly dreadful "acting" and directing with a script that should have been burned rather than filmed. There are very long segments where you watch a side shot of 2 people talking and the camera never moves and there are no cut aways.

House of the Black Death was interesting mainly due to the presence of Lon Chaney, Jr. and John Carradine. Both must have been in dire need of a paycheck though - it's a pretty bad movie but still the best of the 3 in this set.

Creature of the Walking Dead is somewhere in the middle of the other two. It, too, has narration in places it's obvious they'd likely lost the audio during filming but not as much as the first movie on the set. It has a somewhat interesting plot but is done badly.

I own a copy of "The Jerrry Warren Collection: Volume 1" so knew what I was getting into. It's a weakness - In spite of them being practically unwatchable I like watching these really badly done movies. Warren is the worst of the worst.

1601776802851.png

Another favorite and another adaptation of the novel that isn't really adapted well. Lots and lots of things changed for no apparently good reason with even more chunks of the story discarded than in the 1931 version. Still, I like it quite a bit. Cushing and Lee are in superb form as is Michael Gough.

Then a pair of my favorite Bob Hope movies to finish the evening:
1601777019560.png

1601777032543.png

Paulette Goddard is quite good in both films as well as being easy on the eyes. Hope is... well... Hope, also in quite good form, but I can't say that I've ever seen him not in good form. I give the nod to The Ghost Breakers for no other reason than that Willie Best is in that one. He's simply great and really adds to any film in which he appears. He and Hope have great chemistry together, as do Hope and Goddard. It doesn't hurt that Hope isn't the coward he plays in most other films but is more the hero, somewhat playing against type.

Last edited:

sleroi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Oct. 3

3. Willow Creek - First time viewing - 2.5*

A young woman indulges her boyfriends bigfoot obsession by helping him film a documentary for his birthday. We get to see the footage.

The first half of the film is a fun, quirky but respectful look at the bigfoot obsessed community, including some real townsfolk sharing stories. But then veteran character actor Peter Jason shows up and sucked me right out of the movie. His story wasnt believable. But then the boyfriend tells his girlfriend the story wasnt believable. So maybe it was meant to be Meta.

Then things get confusing. Dual threats are setup before an amazingly tense, extremely extended single take of a night in the woods. So youre not sure if its bigfoot or not.

And the ambiguity would have worked thematically, but then the final shot of the film includes an odd callback that just made me scratch my head. So in order for that shot to make sense I have to rationalize a conclusion, forcing me to choose wether or not I believe in bigfoot, thus exposing the mcguffin in the film and leaving me feeling manipulated.

There were some really great parts here that just didnt add up to much for me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
1601779916266.png

The Addams Family (1991) :emoji_scream: :emoji_scream: 1/2

A man claiming to be the long lost Uncle Fester arrives at the Addams home to the delight of most of the family, and skepticism from some others. While it begins as an attempt to scam the Addams family for their fortune, the supposed Fester begins to bond with the family, enjoying the close familial bonds that he never had with his cold, critical adoptive mother. In one of the film's highlights, Fester helps Wednesday and Pugsley prepare a bloody sword fight for their school play.

The production design and casting for this revival was mostly spot-on. I recall being a bit skeptical about Christopher Lloyd as Fester at the time, but came to enjoy him in the role. Sadly, the death of Raul Julia in 1994, shortly after the release of Addams Family Values, brought an end to this version of the family. (Freeform cable)

1601785517814.png

Addams Family Values :emoji_scream: :emoji_scream: 1/2

The family is getting bigger as Gomez & Morticia welcome a new baby, Pubert (Cousin Itt also has a new offspring, What). Unfortunately, Wednesday and Pugsley are less than thrilled with the new addition and sibling rivalry rears its ugly head. To try and help with the care of the new baby, Gomez and Morticia hire a nanny, Debbie, who promptly has Wednesday and Pugsley sent off to summer camp and begins a flirtation with Fester.

Another fun outing with this cast, though again the script does not quite live up to the excellent production and casting. It's also kind of repetitive of the first film, with another attempt to scam the Addams out of their fortune and another student play for the kids (though it does go hilariously off the rails). Many scenes also take place away from the Addams house, which weakens the film, IMO. These characters are the most fun when surrounded by the creepiness at home. Points for babies Pubert and What being two of the cutest ever on film. (Freeform cable)

1601786101339.png
1601786551692.png

Last edited:

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Got in three more. Vinegar Syndromes tagline could be "Not bad, but not memorable" this year... you know you've been hitting a mediocre patch when you give SPELLCASTER 2.5 out of 5.

005 10/03 Zombie 5: Killing Birds (1987) 2/5 Way back when during a previous horror challenge year I watched the zombies 3-5 and deemed this one the dirt worst. Revisiting it, it’s not the dirt worst but it ain’t good either. Plot wise it’s a total mess. Don’t expect your usual zombie tropes and despite the name, don’t expect “Killing Birds” either. It’s closer to a haunted house movie and probably rips off EVIL DEAD more than anything. The acting is horrendous even for these cheap-o Italian films, Robert Vaughn wanders around as a blind bird watcher and there is some gore that ranges from terrible to kind of goofy and fun in quality. The best thing you can say is the soundtrack is a banger.

006 10/03 Spellcaster (1988) 2.5/5 A music video channel sends a bunch of young adults to an Italian castle to find a hidden treasure worth a million bucks. Little do they know that it’s a devil’s ruse! Another in the Vinegar Syndrome series of “not really bad, but nothing special” of horror films. Adam Ant of all people is the big draw and he’s barely in it and is the shits. Everything plods along plot wise with no real surprises. The only saving grace is it mostly delivers on the gore front, it just feels like an eternity between the gags. I’m bumping this one up half a star as they chuck a dummy from great heights which is my favourite effect but this one is for the horror hardcore.

007 10/03 Sisters (1972) 4/5 De Palma brings Hitchcock to the drive-in with this thriller about a date night with a former conjoined twin. I liked this one the first time I saw it, and I liked it even more this time around. Everything moves forward wonderfully, with a weird plot, stylized look, cast is great and the twists keep coming and never really feel forced since everything is so weird in the first place. Recommended

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
1601792728235.png

2. The Terror: Infamy: The Complete Second Season :emoji_star: :emoji_star: :emoji_star: :emoji_star:

First Time Viewing

AMC's Second shot a Ghost story, hits a lot closer to home, and takes place during the "Inurnment Camps" during world War Two, once again the cast is excellent, the story is well written and acted , and the pacing is better than some of the haphazard years of American Horror Story.

Nice to see demons and ghost stories from different perspectives, and cultures, and the influences here are effective. That and this gets a bonus star just for having George Takei in a serious role, and as a consultant this season, Have heard him discuss his time in the camps, I think this is reflected of his memories. Lots of good bumps and chills along the way.

Suzanne.S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Suzanne
So tonight I only got in a couple of shorts. I spent the day watching PoeFest International on YouTube Live and I am trying to catch up on Day 1 of the Pordenone Silent Film Festival also online.

10/1
1. The Red Spectre (1907) short

10/2
2. Felix Woos Whoopee (1928) short
3. Sure-Locked Homes (1928) short ***I initially said that this was new to me, but apparently I watched it for the 2013 challenge.
4. The Fall of the House of Usher (1928) short
5. House on Haunted Hill (1959) feature

10/3
6. The Wizard's Apprentice (1930) short
This was a combination of live action and stop motion animation set to Dukas' The Sorcerer's Apprentice. A fun diversion. I loved the brooms.
7. The Fresh Lobster (1928) short
Another live action and animation combo. My notes say that I've seen it before but I don't really remember it. A man's midnight snack comes back to haunt him in his nightmares. It's a fun chase sequence showing Los Angeles before it was crowded.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
1b. Strange Report – 1.10 “Hand – A Matter of Witchcraft”
When an mysterious symbol is found scrawled next to the body of a young girl found in an abandoned caravan in the English countryside, the police call in retired criminologist Adam Strange (Anthony Quayle) to help. Along with his young assistants, American chemist Ham Gynt (Kaz Garras) and artist/model neighbor Evelyn (Anneke Wills, famous for playing ’60s Doctor Who companion Polly), Strange discovers that a coven of witches is behind the murder, reenacting an old Druidic ritual of sacrificing three young women every 20 years. When Evelyn goes undercover in the art department where the dead girl worked (suspiciously, with a staff of 13 women), she soon finds herself the intended next victim...

Another rare foray into the eerie for an ITC crime drama, with some fun spooky elements mixed in with the normal mystery solving. Featuring a solid script with plenty of droll dialogue, lots of eccentric guest characters, colorful late '60s décor and fashions...and most of all, the trio of leads are all very charming company.

2. Innocent Blood (1992) ***

John Landis' take on another classic movie monster, the vampire, is not as memorable as his '80s cult hit An American Werewolf in London, but still an interesting watch. Sexy vampiress Marie (Anne Parillaud, from Le Femme Nikita) has been chowing her way through some nasty NYC mafia types, but is interrupted before she can put the fatal finishing touch on mob boss, Sal "the Shark" Macelli (Robert Loggia). Macelli wakes up in the morgue and starts "recruiting" his crew into the undead. Marie must team up with an undercover cop (Anthony Lapaglia) to take Macelli down. I was surprised to see some quite sexy scenes in here amidst the carnage and black comedy. (Let's just say, Ms. Parillaud is not particularly shy). While this is a more light-hearted take on genre than An American Werewolf..., Landis still treats the horror elements pretty seriously. A bit of an oddball, this one, but I enjoyed it. A fun cast, too, including Don Rickles, Chazz Palminteri, Tony Sirico, Kim Coates, Angela Bassett and Luis Guzman. Some usual Landis touches here, including characters watching scary old horror movies on TV on several occasions, and celebrity cameos from Frank Oz, Forrest J. Ackerman, Michael Ritchie, Sam Raimi, Dario Argento and Linnea Quigley.

Last edited:

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
3. The Night Strangler (1973) – I like the second Kolchak made for TV movie better than the first. It’s a more fully realized story, it plays off of Seattle history, and there are a bunch of great actors in the supporting case: John Carradine, Margaret Hamilton, Al Lewis, and more. It doesn’t take any chances, however, and sticks close to the approach used in the first movie.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Niloc