***Official 21st Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2020***

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I now have friday off, but it's for a plumbing appointment so I wont be able to maximize my movies lol

I don't really have anything planned, try to kill of some Vinegar Syndrome, Severin and Arrow discs I haven't got to, hit some Godzilla and Gamera though I'm watching them in chronological order and not great with subtitles so they may be more few then plenty. I also got that Friday the 13th set, I may watch something out of it, or save it for next year and do a chronological "modern" horror franchise challenge and watch the F13, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Child's Play, Scream and some other based on order of release. Well, see how far I get with it anyway!

I started it too early so I can't count it, but RATCHET on netflix should count as a horror series. I'm not saying it's good, but it is bananas and what it has to do with the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUKOO'S NEST is a mystery to me since this nurse Ratchet doesn't have any of the traits I remember from the movie. Just nuts.

Pete Battista

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
009.jpg

Title: Curse of the Demon and Night of the Demon: Double Feature
Year:
Director: Curse of the DemonJacques Tourneur, Night of the DemonJacques Tourneur
Writer: Curse of the DemonCharles Bennett (Screenwriter), Hal E. Chester (Screenwriter), M. R. James [Montague R. James] (Original Material By), Night of the DemonCharles Bennett (Screenwriter), Hal E. Chester (Screenwriter), M. R. James [Montague R. James] (Original Material By)
Rating: NR
Length: 96 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.66:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Japanese

Stars:
Curse of the DemonDana Andrews as John Holden
Peggy Cummins as Joanna Harrington
Niall MacGinnis as Doctor Karswell
Maurice Denham as Professor Harrington
Athene Seyler as Mrs. Karswell

Plot:
When psychologist John (Dana Andrews) Holden's colleague, Professor Harrington, is mysteriously and brutally murdered, Holden denies that it's the work of the devil...until he becomes the next target of the CURSE OF THE DEMON!

A cult classic, Curse of the Demon is restored and released for the first time in the US at its full original length. Plus, catch the rare truncated American release back to back.

A British production, NIGHT OF THE DEMON was released in the UK in a 95 minute running time. For the American market, the film was cut to 82 minutes, re-titled CURSE OF THE DEMON, and released in 1958. This DVD presents, for the first time in the US, the fully restored 95-minute version as seen by British audiences in 1957, as well as the rare, truncated American release.

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:
This one really impressed me. The story is really good and keeps my interest with ease. The cast does a fine job. I felt the atmosphere was on spot. The effects were surprisingly good for such an old film. Definitely recommend this one.

My Rating:
:emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U- 4k UHD
B - Blu Ray Viewing
D - DVD Viewing
S - Streaming

Bold/Red - Denotes first ever viewing

Rating - Out of a possible 5 : :emoji_skull_crossbones:

Night of the Demon - D - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:

Attachments

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
1a The Saint - 3.21 "Sibao"

Now, I know The Saint is not at all a show that anyone would expect to fit into any sort of Halloween playlist...but as it turns out, this particular episode completely works as a piece of creepy telefantasy. This is a really terrific and, needless to say, atypical, black-and-white episode of the famous ITC action series, which takes a detour from its usual bread-and-butter of down-to-earth crime and espionage to fully embrace the mysticism and magic of voodoo.

When an undercover CIA operative is killed in Haiti under mysterious circumstances, a vacationing Simon Templar (Roger Moore, of course) takes over the investigation, and soon finds himself pitted against a ruthless Englishman (John Carson, who Hammer fans might recognize from Plague of the Zombies, Taste the Blood of Dracula and Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter), out to learn the secrets of voodoo for his own power and glory. Gorgeous Jeanne Roland plays the titular voodoo priestess who uses her powers to protect the Saint.

Full of strong atmosphere, moody camera work and committed performances (very little eyebrow raising and humor from the normally insouciant Moore)…and, surprisingly, it avoids the usual TV action show trope of explaining the supernatural happenings away as so much jiggery-pokery (ala Scooby-Doo). Nope, this episode - adapted from the Leslie Charteris short story “The Questing Tycoon” by Terry Nation, and skillfully directed by Peter Yates (of Bullitt fame) - 100% walks the walk, taking all the weird magic on display, and the religion of voodoo itself, deadly seriously, right up to the fade-out. Bond fans will feel a slight sense of deja vu, as certain elements of Moore's first 007 flick are evident here, including an opening dance performance by Boscoe Holder, brother of Geoffrey Holder, who played Baron Samedi in Live and Let Die (1973).

Last edited:

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Rating - Out of a possible 4

001) 10/01/2020 Dracula (1931)
1/2

Bela Lugosi's hypnotic performance as title creature pretty much cancels out any pacing flaws as far as I'm concerned. There are greats sets to add to the atmosphere, and great supporting performances from Edward Van Sloan and Dwight Frye.

002) 10/01/2020 Frankenstein (1931)

Colin Clive personifies the mad scientist and Boris Karloff is the monster in one of the truly great horror films. I love that there is no music score to dictate how you should feel; gives the film an intensity it may otherwise have not had.

003) 10/01/2020 The Monster Walks (1932)

Estranged daughter returns to her father's estate after he dies for the reading of his will. Soon a hairy arm tries to strangle her in her bed! Is it the over-sized chimpanzee making a ruckus in the cellar? Is maybe her uncle not paralyzed as he claims to be? Or is it the housekeeper or her son who's out to get the poor girl? Standard The Cat and the Canary clone has few surprises but moves well enough. Director Frank Strayer would do much better with The Vampire Bat.

Reactions: TravisR

Pete Battista

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
1181286-168.jpg

Title: Nightmare Cinema

Year:
Director: Mick Garris, Alejandro Brugués, Ryuhei Kitamura, Joe Dante, David Slade, The ProjectionistMick Garris, The Thing in the WoodsAlejandro Brugués, MirariJoe Dante, MashitRyuhei Kitamura, The Way to EgressDavid Slade, DeadMick Garris
Writer: The ProjectionistMick Garris (Writer), The Thing in the WoodsAlejandro Brugués (Writer), MirariRichard Christian Matheson (Writer), MashitSandra Becerril (Writer), The Way to EgressDavid Slade (Writer), Lawrence C. Connolly (Writer), Lawrence C. Connolly (Original Material By), DeadMick Garris (Writer)
Rating: Rated R : Horror Violence/Gore, Grisly Images, Language, Some Sexuality and Brief Nude Images
Length: 119 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Mickey Rourke as Projectionist
Sarah Withers as Samantha
Faly Rakotohavana as Riley
Maurice Benard as Father Benedict
Elizabeth Reaser as Helen

Plot:
In this tiwsted horror anthology, five strangers are drawn to an abandoned theater and forced to watch their deepest and darkest fears play out before them. Lurking in the shadows is the Projectionist, who preys upon their souls with his collection of disturbing films. As each reel spins its sinister tale, the characters find frightening parallels to their own lives.

Extras:

My Thoughts:

This is an anthology film so was looking forward to this one. But really did the first story have to have a shiitake mushroomload of spiders!?! I hate spiders!!! Just seeing those creepy little thing scatter all over the place had chills going up and down my spine. I liked the first, third and fourth story the best. The third story has a good, creepy atmosphere. The fourth story is a little on the wierd side. They decide to play with the style and record this one in black and white. The B&W added to the atmosphere. This is well worth the time put in to watch it.

My Rating: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U- 4k UHD
B - Blu Ray Viewing
D - DVD Viewing
S - Streaming

Bold/Red - Denotes first ever viewing

Rating - Out of a possible 5 : :emoji_skull_crossbones:

Night of the Demon - D - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
Nightmare Cinema - D - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
1601573229795.png

1. The Terror : The Complete First Season (AMC) :emoji_star::emoji_star::emoji_star: 1/2

First Time Viewing

Number 1 right out of the gate, and this was a blind purchase, as i cut the cable years back, but Best Buy had this and the second on sale, and i had heard good reviews so it was an impulse buy.

Surprised when i started, as this is from the Network that seems to be all zombies all the time any more, what i got instead was a well crafted ghost story and a look at desperation of men under deplorable conditions. More of a thriller and suspense that a full on horror program. And the longer format is better suited at building the tension as the desperation goes along, Harris, Hinds and Menzines all are well cast.

The artic setting is wonderfully rendered, and looks gloomily depressing, (side note) you can sense how it is, but having been above, let me tell you is cold doesn't begin to explain what these men would have gone through. The effects and Ship sets are spot on for anyone into Naval History, and the weird things that can happen only at sea. in this instance its a good watch, not the scary that many will be looking for, but back to when AMC's tag line was "Story Matters".

Last edited:

Pete Battista

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
016.jpg

Title: The Invisible Man

Year:
Director: Leigh Whannell
Writer: Leigh Whannell (Screenwriter), Leigh Whannell (Story By)
Rating: Rated R : Some Strong Bloody Violence, and Language
Length: 124 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.39:1
Audio: English: Dolby Atmos: 3D, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital Plus: 7.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Elisabeth Moss as Cecilia Kass
Oliver Jackson-Cohen as Adrian Griffin
Harriet Dyer as Emily Kass
Aldis Hodge as James Lanier
Storm Reid as Sydney Lanier
Michael Dorman as Tom Griffin

Plot:
Trapped in a violent, controlling relationship with a wealthy scientist, Cecilia (ELISABETH MOSS) escapes in the dead of night and disappears into hiding. But when her abusive ex suddenly dies, Cecilia suspects his death is a hoax. As a series of eerie coincidences turns lethal, threatening the lives of those she loves, Cecilia's sanity begins to unravel while she desperately ties to prove she is being hunted by someone nobody can see.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
This is the way I wanted to see the Universal Monster Movies redone! This movieis really good and I like the effects a lot. They did a good job of making you believe they were really fighting an invisble man. Well worth the time put in to watch it. Highly recomended.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
:emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:

U- 4k UHD
B - Blu Ray Viewing
D - DVD Viewing
S - Streaming

Bold/Red = Denotes first ever viewing

Rating - Out of a possible 5 :emoji_skull_crossbones:

Nightmare Cinema - D - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Invisible Man - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Without a separate list thread I'm not messing with a list and will just post individually per day or two. I'll wind it all up with a list at the end.

So... last night I watched an old favorite:

1601584328551.png

This was the Criterion DVD and I really wish they had a BR for it. In spite of that the DVD looks excellent and the movie is still good, cheesy, fun. I wish I was as good a shot as these fellows with hand guns who never miss a target.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I can clearly say 15 straight Godzilla movies isn't gonna happen.

Bold will be first time viewings. Star ratings are out of four.

Godzilla (1954) ** 1/2

At some message boards I'd be taken out back and beaten to within inches of my life for saying this but this movie just doesn't really work for me. I like how dark and serious the movie is and I love how it is using the fear of WWII to scare the people watching it. This was less than a decade after the events of WWII so I'm sure many people had fears about atomic forces and then, of course, you've got the giant lizard. My problem with this film is that it's SOOOOO serious yet the special effects are so poor that they just don't mix well with a serious story. Perhaps I'm just being too harsh but it's just too uneven to me and there's not a single human character to enjoy (more of this to follow).

Godzilla Raids Again (1955) ** 1/2

This one here isn't quite as well-made or as dramatic as the original film but as a monster mash it works as Godzilla is back and fighting Anguirus. For the most part we've got a fun monster movie bogged down with a lot of lame and boring characters. What does work here are the battle scenes at the end, although poor Godzilla seems like he hasn't eaten in a while. I do love seeing these type of monster bashes in B&W.

King Kong vs. Godzilla (Japanese version) (1962) ***

I've seen the American version several times but this here was my first shot at the Japanese one. In all honesty, the added humor in this version is actually pretty funny, although it was disappointing to learn that the ending really wasn't different. This one here is just a flat out fun monster movie with both Godzilla and King Kong doing a nice job, although Kong certainly looks high most of the time.

Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964) ** 1/2

That mean Godzilla is on another rampage but thankfully Mothra is around to keep him in line. Once again we've got a film that has way too many boring humans and these humans take up way too much of the running time. Seriously, give us more monsters or at least trim the running time down and get rid of some of these humans. Once again the monster battles were the highlight and the destruction here was quite fun to watch.

Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964) ** 1/2

This here is probably the weakest of the series up to this point because of the darn humans, the boring story and the incredibly dumb sub-plot involving the assassins. Outside of that you've got Mothra trying to convince Rodan and Godzilla to quit fighting each other so that all three can go up against Ghidorah. The monster battles are obviously a lot of fun and we needed more of them.

Reactions: Radioman970

whacky blacky

Second Unit
Real Name
shawn blackman
1. Fear Pharm (2020). FTV. Streamed. 2/5. A corn maze is used by a family of psychos to hunt victims and make skin cream with their skin. A subpar flick that does squeeze out a couple of good scenes. Watching a guy have his skin removed with a medical cheese grater was a little squeamish.

whacky blacky

Second Unit
Real Name
shawn blackman
2.Cult Girls (2019). FTV. Streamed. 1.5/5. A woman can't shake her past when she was involved with a cult as a child. Stay away from this one unless you need to catch up on some sleep. All is not lost as there is some dancing in the woods nudity.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
October 1: Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019) – 4 out of 5 – First Time Viewing

It’s Halloween in 1968 in the small Pennsylvanian town of Mill Creek, where three friends-the unpopular kids in school-connect with a young man passing through town and end up in an creepy abandoned home. The home belonged to the once-wealthy Bellow’s family with terrible secrets, including that of a daughter and her terrifying scary stories written in a book. When they remove that book from the home, new scary stories appear and horrifyingly begin to come true.

Based on the children’s book by Alvin Schwartz, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is a deliciously goosebump-inducing horror movie. The performances from the young cast are solid, the creature effects effective and creepy, and while the overarching plot feels awfully familiar, it’s still compelling within the neat set-up of a quasi-anthology approach inside a single narrative. I liked it and was pleased to read that it did well enough (critically and financially) to get a sequel greenlit.

Currently playing on Showtime.

Reactions: Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
1601604172747.png

:emoji_jack_o_lantern: The Strangers: Prey at Night :emoji_scream::emoji_scream:

A couple and their two teenagers are on their way to drop off the daughter at boarding school and stop to stay the night at their relatives' mobile home park. Finding the park oddly quiet, they get the key and move into a trailer. Before long, a young woman knocks on their door and asks, "Is Tamara home?", starting a night of terror as the family is stalked by three masked strangers.

A sequel arriving ten years after the original The Strangers in 2008, it was almost worth the wait. Some creepy setups, and nice direction and photography, but a ludicrous ending undoes any goodwill earned up to that point. I probably would have given a third :emoji_scream: except for that ending. (Amazon Prime)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
1601609354936.png

:emoji_jack_o_lantern: Gremlin :emoji_scream: :emoji_scream:

A family receives a mysterious box, with the odd instruction that for their own safety they need to pass it along to someone they love as soon as possible. It soon becomes apparent why, when a vicious little creature periodically emerges from the box and kills one of your loved ones.

The film doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and is mainly an excuse to create some decent creature effects and letting it kill people in a variety of ways. A gypsy psychic tries to give an explanation, but it doesn't connect with much. Also not quite sure why they called this Gremlin, as no one in the film ever calls it that. It's just the "monster in the box." But it is an interesting creature, sort of like an overgrown praying mantis. (Amazon Prime)

Last edited:

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
View attachment 79451

:emoji_jack_o_lantern: The Strangers: Prey at Night :emoji_scream::emoji_scream:

A couple and their two teenagers are on their way to drop off the daughter at boarding school and stop to stay the night at their relatives' mobile home park. Finding the park oddly quiet, they get the key and move into a trailer. Before long, a young woman knocks on their door and asks, "Is Tamara home?", starting a night of terror as the family is stalked by three masked strangers.

A sequel arriving ten years after the original The Strangers in 2008, it was almost worth the wait. Some creepy setups, and nice direction and photography, but a ludicrous ending undoes any goodwill earned up to that point. I probably would have given a third :emoji_scream: except for that ending. (Amazon Prime)

This was actually shot close to me. That ice cream place at the start of the film is where I take my family for ice cream. I had no idea that they shot there until I saw the movie. Not as good as the original but I liked it too.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
1. The Night Stalker (1972) - When my wife and I first met, many years ago, one of the things that clicked between us was our shared love of the TV series Kolchak: The Night Stalker. Watching it again seemed an appropriate way to kick off our October themed movie watching this year. Darren McGavin is still captivating as Kolchak, the reporter investigating a series of Las Vegas killings while contending with a skeptical editor and city officials who do not want to scare away the tourists. Watching it again after all these years, I found the story a bit thin and it races along too quickly. My wife, however, was as captivated as ever and started reminiscing about her favorite episodes from the series.

:emoji_skull::emoji_skull::emoji_skull:1/2 out of 5

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtW34