***Official 21st Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2020***

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Shudder is also available as an add-on channel for Amazon Prime members. Seven day free trial, then $5.99/month after.

I've been thinking about adding that, as I find I've been interested in a number of Shudder productions on disc lately. The annual cost for subscribing would be the equivalent of about four discs purchased in a year. Plus they have other studio movies and some original series, such as Creepshow and Wolf Creek.

Last edited:

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
In the past I cheated a little bit by watching not strictly horror but definitely horror adjacent grindhouse/Drive-in fair and looking at my shelves, I may do it again. I got that massively dumb Al Adamson boxset that I've been slowly going through, and since I want to watch them in rough order based on that book that comes with it I don't want to cherry pick only the horror stuff. I'm only on SATAN'S SADISTS which means I'm at a non-horror patch right on the eve of the challenge! Ugh!

Reactions: dana martin

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
In the past I cheated a little bit by watching not strictly horror but definitely horror adjacent grindhouse/Drive-in fair and looking at my shelves, I may do it again. I got that massively dumb Al Adamson boxset that I've been slowly going through, and since I want to watch them in rough order based on that book that comes with it I don't want to cherry pick only the horror stuff. I'm only on SATAN'S SADISTS which means I'm at a non-horror patch right on the eve of the challenge! Ugh!
I thought the horror stuff would appeal to me the most in that Adamson box set and they were the ones I liked the least.

Reactions: Michael Elliott

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Another new to me title that is now in my October line-up...

Dream Demon on blu from Arrow as well. This one is said to have been some sort of lost film as I guess the company that financed it went bankrupt and so it did not really get distributed and was not at all widely seen. It apparently sat for years and now the director Harley Cokeliss has created some sort of director's cut as he had not been able to finish the picture the way he wanted to back in 1987 or 1988. Not sure what it adds or removes I have not really researched it yet. Looks like an interesting story about a woman that starts having bad dreams which somehow start seeping into her real life.

dream demon.jpg

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Those are just build-it-yourself bookcases from Wal Mart, Target, and the like. Cheap but effective!
yep pretty much the same here, modified a lot of Ikea and other build it your self, maybe one day i will clean up the clutter and be brave enough to post a picture

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I can seldom stay awake much past midnight so I won't be watching anything until tomorrow evening, at the earliest.

Reactions: TravisR

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
My biggest problem is buying boxsets and then letting them stick around unwatched for years. I still haven't opened Criterion's Bergman set, for example. So with that in mind, the Godzilla, Gamera and Vincent Price boxes are top priority. The "plan" is to bend watch all of them in order and to get them done very quickly. Starting with GODZILLA but I'm not sure how logical it is to watch that over a weekend. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My biggest problem is buying boxsets and then letting them stick around unwatched for years. I still haven't opened Criterion's Bergman set, for example. So with that in mind, the Godzilla, Gamera and Vincent Price boxes are top priority. The "plan" is to bend watch all of them in order and to get them done very quickly. Starting with GODZILLA but I'm not sure how logical it is to watch that over a weekend. :)
I do this too. I still have Vincent Price Collection, Vol 2 & 3 that are unopened, and I don't recall if I finished Vol 1 yet or not. Also Masters of Horror sets, Puppet Master sets, a recent Blumhouse set, etc.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The only good thing to come out of this whole shitty pandemic was that I got a chance to watch nearly all of my backlog. I got through the Star Wars, Al Adamson, Scooby Doo, Batman: The Animated Series (what a great show) sets and TONS of other single discs. I didn't get to start watching that Star Trek: TOS set yet but I suppose I need something for the slower winter or spring months. Of course by then, I'll have built the backlog up again with holiday releases and all the discs that I get for my birthday and Christmas so it never ends. :)

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Yeah, earliest I'll start is this time tomorrow. I also have to figure out what I want to watch (do I pick a director, a series, a subgenre?) and that will take an extra hour. :)
I'm doing the 1930s/1940s thing this year, if for no other reason then I want to wade in the nostalgia pool and forget that I'm an adult with responsibilities. I have 150 films lined up from this period, but I doubt I'll get to them all. And I have that Friday the 13th set coming that I'll want to dig into. And of course I have to watch Halloween and some of the sequels. So, I'm good to go. Dracula starts when the clock strikes 12:00 a.m.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Oh the beauty of working second shift, and then suffering from insomnia. I'm lucky if I average 3 to 4 hours of sleep a day. so luckily 12:01 a.m. is start-time.

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

sleroi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Last year I was off work for 2 1/2 weeks in October so I started strong but honestly was a little burnt out by the end of the month. So I plan to pace myself more this year.

I recently discovered the goes wrong show on Amazon Prime. Its about a group of amateur actors putting on a play of the week and, well, everything goes wrong. I deliberately started with episode 2 as episode 1 was about a haunted hotel. I'll watch it tonight at midnight just to officially get started.

Last year I watched the Mummy series of films from the classic monsters set. This year I hope to get through the Dracula and Invisible Man films.

I also have a stack of perrenial favorites, and a stack of havent seen yet, and a qeue of weird finds on amazon prime.

But mostly Im looking forward to new discoveries from reading what others watch in this thread.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Macoco