What's new

***Official 21st Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2020*** (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Finished up with a couple of favorites:

1604204828443.png

Fright Night (1985) :emoji_scream: :emoji_scream: :emoji_scream: :emoji_scream:

Charlie Brewster is a reasonably average teenager. He likes to make out with his girlfriend, Amy, drives a jankety multi-colored car, and loves scary movies hosted on the local access channel by Peter Vincent, Vampire Killer. He never thought a real vampire, the handsome and charming Jerry Dandridge, would move in next door. But after seeing some odd things and making connections to some local murders, he now believes wholeheartedly that Jerry is a vampire. The problem is, he cannot convince anyone else. Will he be able to change their minds so they can help him take down Dandridge before the vampire decides to eliminate him?

This is my favorite vampire film, and one of my overall favorite films ever. This is one of those films where everything, IMO, seems to come together perfectly. It's not Oscar material, but for a lower-budget vampire flick, it's very nearly perfection. The cast is excellent, with the great Roddy McDowall as TV host reluctantly turned into a real vampire killer. Chris Sarandon embodies the perfect balance of charm, ego, and haughtiness as vampire Jerry Dandridge, who seems constantly amused by Charlie's antics, but cannot let it go on indefinitely. William Ragsdale, Amanda Bearse, and Stephen Geoffreys are not great actors, but fill their roles well as the trio of friends who go up against the vampire. Dorothy Fielding as Charlie's mom is a hoot, though she disappears halfway through the film. Topped off by great physical FX, plus an excellent soundtrack and score by Brad Fiedel. Dandridge's house is almost like a character itself with the great woodwork inside, and the ever-increasing amount of mist and fog rolling off the exteriors as the movie progresses.

Small nitpicks with the film: Amanda Bearse is really too old for the role of a high school girl, being almost 27 years old at the time; the Evil Ed wolf scene doesn't work completely for me; I think some of the weakest makeup FX in the film are for lead character Dandridge when he's gone full vamp; and I've never really understood why the pencil stab in the hand seems to greatly affect Dandridge when it's established later in the film that a stake in the heart is just a minor wound.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
1604205323963.png

Fright Night Part 2 (1988) :emoji_scream::emoji_scream: 1/2

Set three years after the first film, Charlie is now in college and seeing a psychiatrist who has now convinced him that Jerry Dandridge was just a serial killer, not a vampire, and that vampires do not exist. He's still friends with Peter Vincent, but while Peter continues to talk about the vampires, Charlie does not engage. He seems to be doing well until one night while visiting Peter he notices three large coffin-like crates being moved into Peter's building (like the coffin moved into the house next door three years before), and while leaving encounters a group odd people in the lobby, including the stunning Regine. Charlie begins to have some disturbing dreams and urges, sees some odd things, and again starts obsessing, convinced that Regine and her cohorts are vampires. Though somewhat reluctant that it could be happening again, Peter Vincent agrees to accompany Charlie to Regine's penthouse to "test" her.

Ragsdale and McDowell are the only two of the original cast that returned for the sequel. The rest had other commitments or didn't really care for the script or were unhappy with the lower budget. Charlie now has a new girlfriend, Alex, with no mention of what happened to Amy or why they're no longer together. Most everything here is a step backward from the first film. Brad Fiedel is back with the familiar score, but none of the songs are memorable. Written and directed by Tommy Lee Wallace after Tom Holland declined to come back given that many of the cast were not returning and the budget had been cut. While still moderately enjoyable as a follow-up to the first film, it's definitely not as engaging or memorable.

Tom Holland was recently quoted that the rights to the franchise have now reverted to him, and he's working on a new sequel that would be a direct follow-up to the original film and ignore the existence of this film.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The Curse of Nostradamus (1961) ** 1/2
Nostradamus and the Destroyer of Monsters (1962) ** 1/2
Nostradamus: The Genie of Darkness (1962) ** 1/2
The Blood of Nostradamus (1961) ** 1/2

This Mexican horror series was originally a 12-part serial but K. Gordon Murray bought them, dubbed them and released them in America as four separate movies. I wish I had spaced these out a bit as they really are just one long movie but oh well. German Robles plays the son of Nostradamus who also happens to be a vampire. The four films have him trying to prove that his father wasn't a phony and he will kill anyone who doesn't believe. I thought this series had a terrific atmosphere and this alone made it worth watching. Robles was great in the lead role and we even get a young Jack Taylor in his first horror film. The films, on the whole, are a bit too long but at the same time there are enough effective moments to make them worth watching. Hopefully one day the uncut Mexican versions will be released as well.

Scream and Scream Again (1970) **

A serial killer is stalking London and he might not be human. I've never been a fan of this one and after this viewing it's clear that I never need to watch it again. Vincent Price, Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing are on the poster to sell tickets but all three are rather forgettable here. Cushing only appears in one scene and Price and Lee have very little to do.

Blood of Dracula (1957) ** 1/2

This should have been called I WAS A TEENAGE VAMPIRE just to go with the other AIP films. I liked this film because it has a sympathetic lead and I liked that we're dealing with a female monster. This is another monster period from this era that has the monster created via science. The vampire is terrific but not used enough.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920) ***

One of three versions of this classic tale that were released in 1920. Of course, one is lost and most people prefer the John Barrymore version. The Barrymore version is certainly better made and acted but I've always enjoyed this Sheldon Lewis film because the majority of the running time is devoted to Hyde and his violent acts. There are some pretty violent scenes here for a film from 1920 and overall this is a fun B movie.

Halloween (1978) ****
Halloween (2018) ***

I've been wanting to watch these two back-to-back since the 2018 film was released and I finally got to and on the big screen. The Carpenter film is obviously a masterpiece and one of the greatest of its kind. It's funny but this was my fourth viewing of the 2018 film and my feelings haven't changed on it. I think it's a very good sequel that mostly works. The twist with the doc is a flaw as is the little boy used to add unwanted comedy. I can't wait to see where the series goes from here.

Leptirica (1973) ***

This was Yugoslavia's first horror film and it's a vampire tale that pre-dates the Stoker novel. I really enjoyed this film and had never even heard of it until a friend talked about it on Facebook. The vampire create looked wonderful and I really loved how simple but effective the tale was.

A Creepshow Animated Special (2020) ***

I haven't watched any of the new series but I saw that this new film was not only animated but featured a story by Stephen King so I gave it a watch. Both films were quite good but the highlight was the first one dealing with a man stranded on an island who will do anything to himself in order to survive. I'd love to see this story told via live action. Kiefer Sutherland does the vocal work and turns in an excellent performance.

Daughter of Dr. Jekyll (1957) **

Edgar G. Ulmer's "B" movie about a woman who finds out that her father was Dr. Jekyll. This film tries to do a lot but in the end it turns out to do very little. The film tries to mix the Jekyll story with that of a werewolf and vampire but it just doesn't have much going for it. The cast is fun but the film needed more horror elements.

The Mad Monster (1942) **

George Zucco turns his handyman (Glenn Strange) into a werewolf. This here is basically OF MICE AND MEN meets THE WOLF MAN. At 77-minutes the film runs on way too long and there are way too many scenes that just drag along. I thought Zucco gave a good performance and Strange was very believable in the role of the slow handyman. I liked the werewolf as well.

The Exorcist (1973) *** 1/2

Ya know, I've always said that this film is a masterpiece of a drama that is ruined by some rather cheap exploitation. I have a theory on why this film has never scared me but that's a different subject. I really love the performances, love the direction and think there are some incredibly dramatic moments but at the same time the film just doesn't scare me and the "new" footage in the Director's Cut is awful.

Bugs Bunny’s Howl-oween Special (1977) ***
Witch's Night Out (1978) ** 1/2
The Halloween That Almost Wasn’t (1979) ***

My four-year-old was made she couldn't go to the movies with me so we watched these when I got home. Out of the three I'd say THE HALLOWEEN THAT ALMOST WASN'T was the best since it had a fun idea of monsters being upset that Halloween is going to be canceled. BUGS BUNNY'S HOWL-OWEEN SPECIAL was good but it would be better to just watch the actual shorts that were edited into this special.

Halloween II (1981) ***

I think I can say I prefer the 2018 sequel over this one. This is still a good movie thanks in large part to the cast. The story is a tad bit weak and I have some logical issues with the film but overall this is still a fun watch. The mask is very good but far from the original. There are a couple goofy death scenes though. It's funny to think that HALLOWEEN caused so many rip-offs and yet this sequel ends up bring a rip on the rip-offs.

Suzanne.S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Suzanne
Here's my update. I did not watch nearly as much as I had planned. However, I did find some great venues for watching things that I would never have the chance to see otherwise. Eventbrite has really filled up my time and has been a godsend. There are so many free virtual events of all kinds. They are the reason that I didn't get as many films watched.

Some of the webinars I watched were:
Dracula Uncovered: An Evening with Dacre Stoker (the great-grand nephew of Bram Stoker)
Shirley Jackson: A Rather Haunted Life
Grave Art with Effing Chicago
Symphony Macabre: Bernard Herrmann and the Scoring of Horror
Virtual Haunted History Tour of the Lincoln Park Zoo
Dead in Chicago: Horror History from Chicago's Past
A Virtual Tour of the Edgar Allan Poe House
A Virtual Tour of Poe's Baltimore

There were also some silent film presentations. Mostly the usual Halloween suspects and I haven't gotten around to looking at them yet. These were through various groups on Eventbrite.

On to the actual films:

10/22
36. The Mad Doctor of Market Street (1942) From the Shout / Scream Factory Universal Horror Collection Volume 2.

10/25
37. Gloriously Wicked: The Life and Legacy of Lionel Atwill (2019) Also from the Shout / Scream Factory Universal Horror Collection Volume 2.

10/29
UCLA Online Presentation followed by a Q&A with Victoria Riskin, daughter of Fay Wray and Robert Riskin.
38. The Vampire Bat (1933)

10/31
These are all from the International Vampire Film & Arts Festival. Most were good. I particularly liked Another Nail in the Coffin and Taking Shelter. Vampria is an animated short by a 12 year old boy and his sister. It is a film about bullying and was very inventive.
39. Elysia (2020) short
40. Merciless - short
41. Things We Dig (2020) short
42. The First Taste - short
43. Another Nail in the Coffin - short
44. Online Order (2020) short
45. The No So Bright Vampire (2018) short
46. End of Shift (2020) short
47. Fair Prey (2020) short
48. Vampria, the Toothless Vampire (2020) short
49. Taking Shelter - short

I think I will take this approach next year and see what unusual films I can find at online festivals.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Bold - Denotes first ever viewing

Rating - Out of a possible 4

173) 10/31/2020 Happy Halloween, Scooby-Doo! (2020)

Even my kids didn't really care for this latest DTV Scooby-Doo entry. Pumpkins are brought to life by toxic waste and go on a rampage. Since Warner Bros. also handles DC comics they bring in the Scarecrow (Dr. Crane) from the Batman universe as a red herring. There are some laughs here and there but this ranks as one of the least of the SD movies.

174) 10/31/2020 Halloween (1978)

175) 10/31/2020 Halloween II (1981)
1/2
176) 10/31/2020 Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)

Wrapped up the night with my go-to Halloween story. I like the 2018 re-working well enough but overall I prefer this storyline for now, until we see the rest of the 21st century's storyline.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Halloween - Part 2

1604177656427.png

*This* is the movie that was the main inspiration and "updated" for Alien. While there are differences, you'll see numerous direct lifts of things that occur on the space ship. It's a pretty good movie on its own.

1604181423761.png

The first alien invasion movie and still one of the best. I like Carpenter's remake but prefer this one.

1604181740322.png

A movie that was so over hyped on its original release that I refused to see it - for decades. As far as I was concerned it was just another in a long string of lame slasher movies, a sub-genre I absolutely do not like. I broke down and purchased a copy 10-15 years ago when I found the DVD at K-Mart for $5 thinking "Why not?" Turns out it's not exactly a "lame slasher movie" but a fairly interesting bit of psychological horror - if you can make it past the almost 1 hour of setup.

1604195420050.png

I got a rock...

I was 11 when this first aired. The best part is still Snoopy and his "Sopwith Camel" - and it's still too short, ending just when it gets going good. But that's true of all of the half hour Charlie Brown specials.

1604195683340.png

What's almost as good as a Charlie Brown special? A Don Knotts film, of course! This one came out in January 66, just weeks after we first saw A Charlie Brown Christmas. Luther Heggs (Knotts) wants to be a reporter for his town newspaper and gets his big break when the editor asks him to spend the night at the Simmons mansion. The house that 20 years before was the site of a murder-suicide. Will he survive? Will the murderer be exposed? Great stuff!

1604232002416.png

I was around 12 or 13 when I first saw this one on a late night horror host show. It sort of paid off but... ;) A doctor scientist (Ray Milland) is developing a solution which can allow someone to actually see through things. He envisions it making surgery easier and more foolproof as the doctor can see exactly what needs to be done. However, his funding source doesn't have is vision and cuts him off. He proceeds on his own and begins to experiment on himself with, predictably, unexpected results. Don Rickles (in a non-comedic role) plays a carney barker who helps him at one point. It's a very good movie in spite of a rather wonky, non logical, interpretation of the results.

And that's a wrap... Totals and ratings to follow in another post.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here's my complete list of viewings with ratings and first viewings indicated:

Total viewed: 154
First time viewings: 29

- First time viewing
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ - Rating on a 1 to 10 scale

October 1st
1. Fiend Without a Face (1958) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
2. The Blob (1958) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 2nd
3. Penny Dreadful (2014): S1E1, S1E2 ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
4. Dracula (1931) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 3rd
5. Penny Dreadful (2014): S1E3, S1E4 ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
6. Penny Dreadful (2014): S1E5, S1E6 ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
7. Penny Dreadful (2014): S1E7, S1E8 ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
8. Penny Dreadful (2014): S1E9, S1E10 ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
9. Attack of the Mayan Mummy (1964) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
10. House of the Black Death (1965) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
11. Creature of the Walking Dead (1965) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
12. Dracula (aka Horror of Dracula) (1958) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
13. The Cat and the Canary (1939) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
14. The Ghost Breakers (1940) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 4th
15. Fallen (1998) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
16. Doctor Blood's Coffin (1961) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
17. The Brainiac (1957) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
18. Fury of the Wolfman (1972) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
19. X The Unknown (1956) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
20. The Vampire Lovers (1970) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
21. King Kong (1933) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 5th
22. Zombeavers (2014) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
23. House of Wax (1953) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
24. Island of Terror (1966) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 6th
25. Hollow Man (2000) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
26. The Hunger (1983) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
27. Blood from the Mummy's Tomb (1971) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 7th
28. The Shining (1980) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
29. Fright Night (1985) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 8th
30. White Zombie (1932) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
31. The Corpse vanishes (1942) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
32. One Body Too Many (1944) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 9th
33. The Raven (1963) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
34. The Comedy of Terrors (1963) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 10th
35. The Tomb of Ligea (1964) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
36. The Last Man on Earth (1964) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
37. Shivers (1975) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
38. Dr. Phibes Rises Again (1972) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
39. Return of the Fly (1959) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 11th
40. House on Haunted Hill (1959) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
41. The Mummy (1959) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
42. The Brides of Dracula (1960) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 12th
43. Curse of the Werewolf (1961) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
44. Frankenstein Must be Destroyed (1969) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
45. Night Creatures (1962) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
46. Phantom of the Opera (1962) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 13th
47. Paranoiac! (1963) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
48. Kiss of the Vampire (1963) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
49. Nightmare (1964) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
50. The Evil of Frankenstein (1964) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
51. Dracula has Risen from the Grave (1968) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 14th
52. Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
53. Them! (1954) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
54. The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (1964) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 15th
55. The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
56. Son of Kong (1933) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
57. The Gorgon (1964) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 16th
58. The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
59. The Brain that Wouldn't Die (1962 ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
60. Son of Frankenstein (1939) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
61. The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 17th
62. Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman (1943) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
63. House of Frankenstein (1944) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
64. House of Dracula (1945) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 18th
65. Planet Terror (2007) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
66. Death Proof (2007) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
67. Krampus (2015) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
68. Alien: Covenant (2017) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
69. Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
70. Wolfen (1981) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
71. The Mummy's Hand (1940) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
72. The Mummy's Tomb (1942) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
73. The Mummy's Ghost (1944) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 19th
74. The Mummy's Curse (1944) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
75. Innocent Blood (1992) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
76. Body Snatchers (1993) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
77. The Wolf Man (1941) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
78. Werewolf of London (1935)) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 20th
79. She-Wolf of London (1946) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
80. Prince of the Night (aka Vampire in Venice) (1988) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
81. Life (2017) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
82. Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (1988) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
83. Dracula's Daughter (1936) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 21st
84. Son of Dracula (1943) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
85. Night of the Living Dead (1966) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
86. Countess Dracula (1971) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
87. The Invisible Man Returns (1940) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 22nd
88. The Invisible Woman (1940) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
89. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
90. The Uninvited (1944) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
91. Invisible Agent (1942) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 23rd
92. Invisible Man's Revenge (1944) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
93. The Awakening (2011) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
94. Arachnophobia (1990) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
95. From Hell it Came (1957) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
96. The Beast from Hollow Mountain (1956) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 24th
97. The Neanderthal Man (1953) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
98. The Last Witch Hunter (2015) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
99. Jaws (1975) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
100. Dracula (1975) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
101. Nightmare Castle (1965) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
102. Castle of Blood (1964) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
103. Terror-Creatures from the Grave (1965) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
104. DeepStar Six (1989) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
105. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (2010) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
106. The Brotherhood of Satan (1971) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 25th
107. Torture Garden (1967) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
108. The Creeping Flesh (1973) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
109. The Pit and the Pendulum (1961) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
110. The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
111. Snow White: A Tale of Terror (1997) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
112. The Signal (2007) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
113. Frankenhooker (1990) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
114. The Haunted Palace (1963) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
115. House of Usher (1960) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
116. Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
117. The Black Cat (1934) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 26th
118. The Raven (1935) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
119. Interview with the Vampire (1994) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
120. John Dies at the End (2012) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
121. The Invisible Ray (1936) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 27th
122. Black Friday (1944) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
123. Silver Bullet (1985) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
124. An American Werewolf in London (1981) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
125. The Black Cat (1941) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 28th
126. Man Made Monster (1941) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
127. Horror Island (1941) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
129. Dead Zone (1983) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
130. Alien (1979) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
131. Night Monster (1942) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 29th
132. Captive Wild Women (1943) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
133. The Masque of the Red Death (1964) (Extended cut) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
134. Witchfinder General (1968) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
135. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
136. Night Key (1937) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 30th
137. Tower of London (1939) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
138. Re-Animator - Integral version (1985) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
139. Bride of Re-Animator (1990) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
140. Beyond Re-Animator (2003) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
141. The Phantom from 10,000 Leagues (1955) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

October 31st
142. The Beast with a Million Eyes (1955) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
143. The Addams Family (2019) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
144. Unearthly Stranger (1963) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
145. The Cat and the Canary (1927) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
146. Donovan's Brain (1953) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
147. Galaxy of Terror (1981) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
148. The Most Dangerous Game (1932) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
149. It! The Terror from Beyond Space (1958) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
150. The Thing from Another World (1951) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
151. Halloween (1978) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
152. It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
153. The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
154. X: The Man with X-Ray Eyes (1963) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

sleroi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
10/31

37. Dracula, Spanish version (1931) - First time viewing - ***

Same sets and basic story, well acted, very enjoyable and much better than a lot of the older films I watched this year, but seems kind of lackluster in a direct comparison with the Browning/Lugosi film.

38. Dracula (1931) - *****

Creepy, tragic, atmospheric. Lugosi is magnificent, love his accent. This has that certain something that the Spanish version, and Coppola's vision is missing.

39. Bram Stokers Dracula (1992) - ***1/2

Stunning visuals in 4k. Maintains an eerie vibe throughout. Ryder is great, Reeves is good but not great. Oldman tries, but maybe Ive just been watching the Lugosi version since I was a kid and no Dracula will ever compare. This is still better than most other Vampire movies.

40. John Carpenters Vampires (1998) - ***1/2

On my initial viewing I was disappointed because there was so much tension leading up to the first attack, only to have one Vampire come through the door. Then it segued into a slow road movie. And I was used to Woods as more of a dramatic actor so he seemed to be hamming it up and phoning it in. But over the years it has grown on me, and I can now appreciate it for what it is. And no one can compose for 2.35 like Carpenter, the film has always looked gorgeous.

41. Friends, the one with the Halloween party - ****

Something I could watch with the wife while making dinner.

42. Halloween (1978) - *****

Perfection.

43. Spooks 3D (1953) - ****

Silly haunted house fun with the 3 stooges. That hypodermic needle in 3d!

44. The Mad Magician 3D (1954) - ****

More Vincent Price murder and mayhem. Lenita Lane as mystery writer Alice Prentiss steals the show. And some outstanding 3D. Most notably a scene where Alice is sitting at her desk and she is completely in front of the screen.

45. This is the End (2013) - ****

Six hollywood stars are trapped in a house while the rapture is occurring outside.

3bef0393ca7bd0584c8fa183aa55fd61.jpg

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Halloween (1978) ****
Halloween (2018) ***

I've been wanting to watch these two back-to-back since the 2018 film was released and I finally got to and on the big screen. The Carpenter film is obviously a masterpiece and one of the greatest of its kind. It's funny but this was my fourth viewing of the 2018 film and my feelings haven't changed on it. I think it's a very good sequel that mostly works. The twist with the doc is a flaw as is the little boy used to add unwanted comedy. I can't wait to see where the series goes from here.
I really enjoy the 2018 movie but two things stick out from it as memorable to me- the tracking shot of Michael killing people in their houses is one of the best moments in the entire series and Carpenter & company's score is flatout fantastic. They created new music that is definitely Halloween and didn't just rely on the theme or copy it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Random comments about other movies mentioned this month that I just couldn't get worked into my watch list:

The Exorcist: The first time I saw this was on HBO on a BW TV. I found it quite scary. Years later I saw it again, this time in color, and it just didn't work as well. When I purchased the movie on DVD I watched again in BW (turned the color off on the set) and found it was that good, scary, movie again. Since then I *always* watch it in BW as, for me, it's scarier that way. I've often wondered if that's due to me growing up watching the majority of movies on a BW TV (we got a color set when I was 13 but that BW immediately went to my room and then with me to college - I purchased a color set of my own in 1977) as well as developing a love for horror movies based on the Universal classics. Many of those, especially the first films in each series, still give me chills.

The Thing (Carpenter's version): I *really* like this movie and have since I first saw it. This, along with the 1979 Invasion of the Body Snatchers were the ones that convinced me a remake doesn't have to be "bad" but can be as good as the original and bring new things to the table. This is truly terrifying in a way much different than Hawks' original. The creature effects (gotta love practical visual effects!) are simply spectacular. The hardest part for me to accept originally was Kurt Russell, who up until that time I'd primarily seen in Disney comedy movies, as the lead. Sure, he'd been Snake Pliskin in Escape from New York but I'd not yet seen that movie so, for me, this was the first true non-comedy role in which I'd seen him. I still prefer the original - but that's the one I saw first and it had a huge impact.

Halloween (Carpenter): Yes, I did watch this but feel it needs more discussion. That first hour, for me, just drags on and on and on with drivel girl talk. Sure, it sets up the last half hour and, truly, is kind of needed but I feel it could have been shorter or at least a bit more involving. Maybe more back story. That you *never* see Michael actually kill someone is the main reason I like the movie, in spite of it pretty much starting the whole "lame slasher movie" fad of the late 70s and 80s. Most of my favorite horror movies have implied violence rather than directly being shown. Sure you see the results but rarely the actual violence. This movie, in tone, fits better in the 50s style than in the 70s and that's a large part of why I like it. However, I have no desire or need to watch any of the sequels.

Dana's first time viewings just staggered me. The vast majority are movies I consider true classics and he got to see them for the first time! I wanted to pull copies of most and watch them again myself just based on his comments.

John's list made me want to join him as I own copies of the majority of what he's watched as well. And the pre-1960s horror films are the ones I grew up watching on TV.

Suzanne's Eventbright and virtual event viewings sounded quite interesting. Had I not had so many things in the unopened pile I'd have liked to have watched a few of those myself.

Quite often when looking at what others were watching I'd think "Oooo... I need to watch that one this year..." but there just wasn't enough time. Marathons of 30's-60s' horror, Hammer Horror, Universal Horror, Amicus, Roger Corman, and more just screamed to be done. With my unopened/unwatched pile of horror films now, finally, depleted maybe next year I can do that chronological viewing of horror films starting with some of the first sound pictures (doing chronological silents is more than I think I can handle due to them requiring far more attention) and going up to 1960. I have discs of almost all of the ones that've seen release from 1930-1960 making it quite doable. I did a chronological viewing of the Universal Horror films a few years back and found it quite satisfying.

But other films always call... Jeff watched Horror Express - I had that one pulled for a viewing but ran out of time. Likewise with The Terror, The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake, Gojira, Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), The Thing (1982), and several others.

Anyway... it was great fun!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
jotting down mine. Will make more than one posts. I did 84. :)

Thursday, October 1st
1. Paranormal Activity (5) The Marked Ones. 2014
2. Cropsey. 2009
Already talked about these before.

Friday, October 2nd
3. The Pit & the Pendulum. 1991 (New to me!!)
4. Mother's Day. 1980 (New to me!!)
Already talked about these.

Saturday, October 3rd
5. Evil Dead. 1981
6. In Fabric. 2019. (New one)
7. Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman. 1943
I bought the 2 movie blu ray for the EDs. My perfectly clean DVD of one of the originals started skipping/freezing. scary stuff! what old dvd is next? nooOOOOOoooo! ED is gateway spooky bec it makes me want to watch a lot of horror movies that I love. Instead though I went with In Fabric since I'd heard so much. It was like watching some old Amicus movie, so that was good. Looked fantastic with a soundscape that makes it worth the money we spend on our systems. Finally the old F Meets W. Loved it when I was 10. The monster all frozen in ice like that, will never forget when I first saw that. Pretty good day!

Sunday, October 4rd
8. Castle Freak. 1995 (New one)
9. Gaslight. 1944 (New one)
After the Pit & the Pendulum I had big hopes for this. But it was just okay. I think the film should have been much darker looking to hide cheese. I think I'll like this better next time. Finally Gaslight which was fantastic. I'd watched Spiral Staircase in September. I discussed these with mom not long ago. She's a fan too. I fear she is being gaslighted herself! lol

Dark Shadows 750 (New one) I'd planned much more DS. Including the 2 original films and the Burton one. No big deal, all this is fun through the holidays too. :) loving the story line at the moment. Won't comment on these since I can remember exactly what is going on in each. I usually notate or look at a guide to help me remember.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
My Friends,

Family and actual trick or treaters kept me busy yesterday..so nothing, work schedule this year really crushed any chance t big numbers, but after reading the lasts few pages, I do have to say that I get so much out of this group that gets together annually.

1. Some of the best recommendations /suggestions for future viewings
2. Items to avoid at all cost

And agree with Howie, John tackling all the Universals in order, awesome, Susanne and the Eventbrite events, need to look at possibly doing that if it's available. Russel, I don't know how you crush through all the grindhouse movies, some just leave me scratching my head.

Times being what they are, this was the safest bet, I wanted to see if I could have found one of the Drive-In's that still do the Halloween Weekend horror events, but none were close enough that were operating. so the first time viewings made up for a lot of that, Maybe next year the world will get back to NORMAL, I pray. and then we can see how this turns out

final:
38 new viewings
2 Complete Tv Seasons of The Terror First Time Viewing
5 old friends

Last edited:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Monday, October 5th
10. Mutants. 2009
11. Deathwatch. 2002
Mutants is a pretty good zombie survival movie. really like what they did with the faces of those creatures, the noses are very detailed. I thought Deathwatch was new to me but it got familiar. somewhat grim and mysterious. good not great.

Tuesday, October 6th
12. Curse of the Fly. 1965
Much better than Return of the Fly. I watched the fantastic original and 1st sequel in Sept. I didn't remember much from the sequels so this was a relief. I had a lot of stuff I was going to say about it but now I can't remember so I'll ramble on about how I can't remember ha! well, looking at the trailer I remember the wonderful opening scene with the lady in bra and panties running down the road in front of that guy. That never happens to me! :D really fun movie. nice effects and everything.

Dark Shadows 751-752 (New ones)

Wednesday, October 7th
13. The Burning. 1981
14. Eden's Log 2007
Just like ED The Burning is gateway. Really had a great time watching it and wished I could watch 5 in row but nope. Went with Eden which I had just fished out of my collection after not knowing where it ended up. Very good movie with a grim look that reminds me of what the games Halflife or Outlast as a movie could look like. accidentally played it with english dubbing. oops!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Thursday, October 8th
15. Addams Family. 1991
I said I was not going to get the blu ray set from walmart even at $10 but I got the set for $10 at walmart that day (I think). Looks a little better. Had a really great time.

Friday, October 9th
16. The Orphanage. 2006
17. Final Destination 3. 2006
A great day even thought only 2. Orphanage just gets better with time. I'd call this a masterpiece. The closing moments are downright emotional when you get locked in like I always do. One of the best films I've ever seen. Sights, sounds, acting across the board. FD3 is the one with the showstopping roller coaster opening. I think that opening is the best of the series. Had a great time watching this double. Would have watched at least another movie but real life problems were just starting to screw up the wonderful mood I get from this every year. I don't want to mention more. I forged ahead and that's what matters.

Saturday, October 10th
18. Burnt Offerings. 1976
19. Blood on Satan's Claw. 1970
20. The Lodge. 2019 (New one)
21. Dead Man. 1995
22. Freaks. 1932
Another favorite day. Starting off with an Ollie. It's funny my dad almost killed me during water play too. lol long story but he just forgot I did require breathing after each throw up in the air. The sob! lol I decided not to press charges so that's all that matters. Blood is just nuts. From 1970 and still just as powerful. So many familiar actors in it from the cutest Dr. Who companion (with one of my favorite behinds in history, must be said must be said!!! ) to Onslo from Keeping up Appearances. Was too excited about The Lodge. It didn't live up. Next time I'll like it more I think. Dead Man haven't seen in years. Was worried about my DVD skip/freezing but it played just fine. One of my favorite movies of all time. The indian fella "nobody" steals the show. And the scene with the 3 grizzly looking lonely guys in the woods is one of my favorite scenes in movie history. "I clean up real good" lol Finally it's been years but the classic Freaks just never misses. Love those folks in that. Must get a blu ray with every extra and tidbit available about it. So much I want to know.

Sunday, October 11th
23. Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil. 2010
24. Lighthouse. 2019 (New one)
25. World War Z 3D 2013
26. Ghostbusters. 1984
Had just ordered an upgrade of Tucker and Dale. Always a winner. The scene when they try to explain what is going on to the police... instant classic! All fans of stuff like Shaun of the Dead must see this right away. Also I recommend Deathgasm, which I don't own I only borrowed a copy before. The price on that one has been closer to $10 before. Waiting for another of those moments. :) Lighthouse was just insanely engrossing. I was afraid it was going to be just like a previous movie from a few years back with the same title but this one goes in wild directions with both main actors jumping into the characters like they were playing themselves or something. Defoe is phenomenal. I was edge of the seat the whole time. Finally seeing WWZ in 3D. It doesn't need the 3D but it does help in many places. I think of this as a zombie for those who won't watch them because of gore. The story grabs me so hard it overs before I know it. Ending the day on Ghostbusters, one of my most watched movies. I haven't seen it in a while and it was just so much fun! I'm still watching my DVD and it played fine luckily.

Last edited:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Forgot to mention I was on vacation this week. Hard to get those in Octobers! I should have had 100% time of my life. But sleep was hard to come by.
Monday, October 12th
27. When a Stranger Calls. 1979
28. The Howling. 1980
29. Student Bodies. 1981
30. Friday the 13th Jason Takes Manhattan. 1989
31. Wait Until Dark. 1967 (New one)
32. Troll. 1985
Yet another day I didn't want to end. Back to back to back greatness. Stranger has that classic opening and then I always forget about the Durning story for some reason! lol The remake stretches the opening bit to movie length with good effect I think. The Howling is from the 2 movie BD set with The Fog. It looked pretty good over the old DVD. But zero extras so I keep the DVD of course. That laugh and cheer at the ending. one of the best horror endings ever. Then Student Bodies. It's almost like Fast Times at Ridgemont High the horror movie. lol maybe not quite up there with Fast but it's just a joy to watch. I wanted to get to the Scary Movie series as well but wasn't able to. F13 Manhattan is among my favorites. Looks pretty good on blu ray. Finishing off that older F13 set of blus. I stopped F13 for this year. Wait until Dark I've only seen from Terror in the Aisles. Arkin gives his best performance ever. I really like him in Catch22 but here he steals the show. I was watching an old game show on BUZZR while getting stuff together to start watching my movies and somebody won "a set of appliances for the kitchen". I think there was a trash compactor or something but also a washer and dryer. lol And I remembered this movie has a washer and dryer in the kitchen. They used to do that I guess! Anyway, a classic. I was going to go to bed and just did a "dammit I'm watching one more" and threw on Trolls. Just a ball and a half. I'm not the fan of the sequel like many are. I grew up with this one. It's like The Gate, which I wanted to put on too but couldn't.

Tuesday, October 13th
33. Fright Night. 1985
34. Halloween 2018
This was a very bad day. Nothing like losing a life or anything. Just one of those kinds of days that kills you inside and you can't sleep and wish you could up and leave for a better place. But...forged ahead to try and fix things. A day I should have gotten 5 or 6 it took me hours to watch Fright Night. It's usually another gateway horror. BUt I was losing my craving. I threw up Halloween 2018 and wished it was 2018 again and I was in the movie theater watching it there. Things did improve thought.

Wednesday, October 14th
35. The Fly 1986
36. Addams Family Values. 1993
37. Killer Legends. 2014
Carefully selected these. The Fly reboot was the one I needed. Goldblum in a performance of a lifetime. Not all the effects have aged well but it is still just as powerful. One of the best redos ever. Next, that blu ray for AFV. Hilarous! I think Lloyd is better as Unc Fester here than in the first. I love when stuff is happening to him and his grin stays the same no matter what, like when Gomez throws him to the wall and tosses the knifes. The gear switches to Festers new life with Debbie (love that name, Unc FEster and debbie, lol and Cusack is fantastic!!) and the time as summer camp are jarring but there are still lots of laughs. Finally, Killer Legends ends the day. A documentary from the Crospey folks and its just as engrossing.

Dark Shadows 753 (New one)

Thursday, October 15th
38. Happy Birthday to Me. 1980
39. The Taking of Deborah Logan. 2014
40. Ghostbusters 2. 1989
41. House of 1000 Corpses. 2002
42. Final Destination 4. 3D 2009
Just trying to keep the days going. I threw on 5 sure things and it was still hard to keep it going. I was just not able to sleep right. Horror movies and vacation usually send me into the best sleeps since I was a baby with some crazy dreams. :( anyway, still a good day. Mainly House of 1000 Corses, a first on blu ray for me. The movie froze. This trilogy blu ray set came with markings on the discs because of the greasy case. Anybody want to start a class action lawsuit again the companies over this? If so I'm in! Anyway, I wiped it and it played perfectly. I returned the whole set and they sent a new one that is still setting near my lamp ready to be cleaned as well. Same damn problem! I did love seeing it again on blue. I plan to watch the new copy soon with the commentary on. Was going to watch RZ's movies all the way up to 3 From Hell but this ruined that. No problem. Final Destination 4 is my first time in 3D and it was marvelous this way! Really helped save the day. I have the 5th in 3D as well but didn't get to it.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Friday, October 16th
43. Psycho 3. 1986
44. Mystery Science Theater 3000 Projected Man.
45. Neighbors 1981
46. It Follows. 2014
Another night trying to sleep. Psycho 3 didn't help. I usually laugh all the way through while lusting for Scarwind. (oops, said too much lol) Seriously, she's so cute and vulnerable you want to take her away from it. And Perkins just goes ape shit. None of the greatness from the original or himself and Tilly from the first sequel. I do like it usually. Needed to be in a different mood though. Next, an appropriate MST3K. And it righted the day. Needed a couple of sure things next. I know Neighbors isn't quite a horror movie but it has that feel and several scenes that look like a comedy horror, like when Vic and Romana are in the cellar or Earl and Vic are in the swamp, several other scenes. Moriarty gives one of my favorite performances in a comedy movie like this. She looks like she's just walked out of a Noir and she has most of my favorite lines. To Belushi's Earl "I don't care about your weight or your false teeth." lol Aykroyd'd Vic is the guy everybody should hate but it's just the opposite. Belushi plays everything completely straight and that's just the opposite. The ending is scratch your head crazy. Just don't get into logic with this. One of my favorite comedies and I'm finally watching the blu ray instead of Mill Creeks not worth wiping your ass on dvd. (had to use that image sorry) Hate it when this one is over. I wish it was 6 hours long. Ended the day with a graving of It Follows. Superb film. One of the scariest ideas for a horror movie in years. In fact, It Follows and Hereditary are probably the ones I consider the scariest in many years. GREAT day!

Saturday, October 17th
47. The Fog. 1980
48. Mystery Science Theater 3000 Phantom Planet
49. Phantom of the Opera. 1943
Sleep still a problem though. You try to lay your head down and the crap just ruins your sleep. But I was up with more I thought would save the day. I believe I watched something that wasn't horror but couldn't remember. Didn't count it. The Fog on blu, looks darn good! There are things I've never liked, like too much with the towns birthday. So much of that could have been implied. Just found it approaching boredom. Everything else is pure classic horror. I snuck into a drive in movie with my best friend in the early 80s and this was playing. Nostalgia overload. I wish now we'd stayed and watch all the movies they were running. I can't remember what it was but it must have been a hell of a marathon back in the early 80s. The MST3K is barely what you would say is horror. But there is a creature in it referred to as a "monster". lol great episode and very fun movie. Finally, the gorgeous full color Universal monster flick Phantom from 1943 with Rains just perfect for this role. I love him in Invisible Man and believe without him that movie wouldn't quite be the classic it is. He does similar for this. Was wishing I could stay up for more. :(

Sunday, October 18th
50. Suspira. 2018
51. Plague of the Zombies. 1966
52. Son of Dracula. 1943
I'm a huge fan of this reboot. I bought my own blu for this year. Wanted the 4K but it's too expensive. This blu look fine. From beginning to end I can't take my eyes off. The scene with the new girl demonstrating her dancing while unknowingly "connected" to the girl being ousted is unlike anything I've ever seen before. Many of the scenes from this movie are like artworks of horror as if Serling is showing them all as paintings for Night Gallery. Adore this 100%. And it put me in mind of another I end up watching later in the month and also having a wonderful time. Next, Plague that I haven't seen in years. First rate zombies some years before Night of the Living Dead. And a wonderful Hammer look and feel. Had I seen this as a boy I would just now not be having the nightmares. lol It's been so long I forgot they were shuffling the roles so much. Wolfman is now Drac! lol Chaney's not bad. But his tragic character acting from Wolfman is missed. So is Lugoshi.

Dark Shadows. 754-755 (New ones)

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I did it all wrong this year. I still have about 20 movies to post that I haven't had time to write anything about. But I'm just going to skip all that and drop out. I hate writing all about them after Halloween.

Maybe next year I find the time I need to participate more.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
095 10/30 Friday The 13th: Part 2 (1982) 3.5/5 Considering how iconic this one is, seeing how it actually has Jason in it, you want it to be better. The gore is toned down a bit, but it does have a mean streak to it which is great. Overall though, it feels tired like it’s treading water repeating the first film. Which isn’t a good thing on the second film of what will be one of horror's longest franchises. That and the lead girl make this one not as engaging as the first, but in the end, it’s still fun and it’s kind of nice seeing redneck overalls Jason and his flour sack. We were all so innocent in our youth!

As much as I love this horror film (Still the best of the series in my opinion) I equate the first ten minutes of it as basically "dead air".

It does nothing for the film, seems agonizingly long, and completely boring. Not to mention a huge stretch even by Friday the 13th Jason films. It shouldn't have been in the film...even if they wanted to pad it to 90 minutes plus!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Monday, October 19th
53. Throw Mama from the Train. 1987
Back to work after the vacation. Very disappointed. I know there are worse problems in the world. But that doesn't stop things from effecting you. After a few more days things settle down and I was able to move along much better. I took in just one that I knew was a sure thing. I've been craving this comedy for so long. People who know devito from Sunny only would probably be surprised by his timid Owen character here. Lots of laughs, suspense, even warmth. I think this is the best thing Crystal ever did, not counting Tap since his scene is small there. And Ramsy was born then waited years and years for the reason she was born. She's superb. Tearing inducing.

Dark Shadows. 757 (New one)

Tuesday, October 20th
54. Brothers Grimm. 2005
Next in line with my Gilliams. I bought The Man Who Killed Don Quioxite the same time I got Tucker and Dale and the Rob Zombie Trilogy. BUt it's the only one of those that hasn't arrived yet. Takes weeks! I watched Tideland last month and so badly want to update that one to the blu ray. I think Tide is one of his best films and one I forget is an Alice in wonderland inspired. Brothers has never been a favorite and nothing has changed. Never a great time. Just didn't work. So fine scenery, often cheezy cgi, disjoined stories. So so humor. Only now and then am I having fun. But there are moments. I wish Gilliam had directed the first Potter movie so maybe he wouldn't have been so bitter and made this so so thing. Btw, mom hates Brazil but loves this. lol Maybe I was switch at birth?

Wednesday, October 21st
55. Freaks. 2018 (New one)
56. Haunt. 2018 (New one)
Decent couple of new ones. I threw them on since my mood was still damaged. The acting from the little girl in Freaks was first rate. I was reminded of Tatum O' Neal in Papermoon. Amazing when kids can bring it. I borrowed this one but will get my own copy for future. Lots of freaky stuff and a first rate mystery about what the hell is going on. HIghly recommended. Haunt, not a lot new here. Like Saw, Hellfest, stuff like that. It's pretty good though. I was on the edge of my seat through a lot of it. Got to craving the documentary from The Houses that October Built. Planned to watch that one in a couple of days. Not a bad day.

Thursday, October 22nd
57. The Fly 2. 1989
58. The Invisible Man's Revenge. 1944
Hate the part with the dog. The cheezy effects just ruin any connection. Pathetic. I thought overall this sequel sucked. With it and the 1stsequel to the orignal movie I was almost feeling $40 was too much for this blu ray set. I will probably never watch either of those again but the others will be in rotation every few years. I also felt the transfers for lacking for the orignal films. The ratios seemed messed up. (corrected, I meant I didn't care for the 1st sequel to the original fly)

Friday, October 23rd
59. The Houses that October Built (original documentary). 2014 (New one)
60. The Begotten. 1991
GREAT day. Loved the documentary they used to make the found footage film. Glad they included this as an extra. I've never been to a haunt like these. I don't know if I could take thos extreme ones anymore. Hurts to say that. They look so amazing. I know the final one is fake so I wish they hadn't of inlcuded it. It's good but it drags down this doc. They did everything more movie like for the actual film and I love that one too. I still need to get my own copy of the sequel. Next, I was just feelin it you know? I neededd something completely nuts. I bought this DVD of Begotten last year, missed watching it then, but now was disappointed by the transfer. It does a micro jump now and then but doesn't skip anything...still it ruin the smooth flow this movie needs to have. :( I've seen parts of other films that show people having nightmares but truly this may be the only film that looks like an actually nightmare has been recorded and we are actually able to see it. Repeating of movements and sound is the secret for that. For another like this it is worth checking out the works of the late Shaye St. John on youtube who also gets it dead perfect with his classic "The Hand Thing". Repeated movements and/or sound. Oh the times I've woken up screaming because of that! lol Anyway, Begotten is in it's own catagory. I really need a better copy of it though. Need a smooth flowing moment that I don't pause until it's over. An experience that I could care less what it's about. It just goes by and leaves you dizzy.

Last edited:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Saturday, October 24th
61. Mystery Science Theater 3000 Werewolf.
62. Ghostbusters 3D. 2016 (New one)
63. Paranormal Activity Ghost Dimension 3D. 2015
64. The WNUF Halloween Special. 2013
65. The Mummy's Ghost. 1944
Things started picking up luckily. I rely so much on my horror months. Anyway, a classic MST3K with an extremely hot but mostly unintelligable bimbo. what else? REally love the all girl group song they doing during a host. That was one of the clips sci-fi channel put on their old website in the 90s. I didn't have satellite at the time and wanted to see the whole episode so bad! I watched that over and over. Still a fav music moment from the show. "whose story is this carol?!" lol I noticed Mary Jo wrote the lyrics for that song. Very funny lady! Next I was craving the hell out of Ghostbusters 3D. I was getting a whole Pixels 3D vibe. I loved that one. But either this was gonna be great or terrible. I thought it was great. The lady were all wonderful, the story was fine and the 3D was Disney Qualify. Those effects coming out of the edge of the scene are the stuff of 3D greatness. I remember noticing that for the first time in Wonderful World of Oz and a Mickey Mouse short extreme on one of the discs. Imagine having a wall size Tv and effect all over the up and down and sides. Maybe even ceiling. Oh, 3D of the future GET HERE! lol Anyway, FAN! AFter that I put on another fav 3D. PA 6. I know the 3D starts weak, so so story to carry it along. But eventually it becomes one of my favorite uses of 3D. I own 2 copies of this. I watched my newest one to make sure it worked. Next, WNUF that feels like the 1980s with nearly perfect results. There's a few things that don't fit though. I know that because I would have watched something like that in the 80s. Certain dialogue would not have existed or been allowed back then. Would have loved to help them with that and gotten my name on the credits. hee! Finally Mummy's Ghost. really liked this one! a little short though. But it doesn't waste a lot of time. Excellent day!

Sunday, October 25th
66. The Blair Witch Project. 1999
67. Drag Me to Hell. 2009
68. Mystery Science Theater 3000 Deadly Bees.
69. Black Swain. 2010
70. The Final Girls. 2014
Things are working great now. One of the best days as well. woo hoo! kicked off with the classic. Hated this but I had to pause it a few times. Just bad timing, needing to get a bite of food made and let and old lady dog outside, more important things. But love it as always. Had looked through tons of boxes for the sequel because I was craving it too but didn't get around to it. oh well... a recent list of Stephen King's favorite horrors had this listed as one he tried to watch while recovering from that time he was hit by a van. He said he could not finish it! His reasons were spot on why I love this so much. Getting into a movie like this is the secret. You have to only focus on it. And it's a freaky scary ride the first time. I'll never forget it. I don't believe in witches or anything else but why was I so paranoid by it? I remember not being able to forget the descrption of the witch that we never see. She's hairy and floats above the watch... what an image!

Monday, October 26th
71. The Descent. 2005
72. Fright Night 3D. 2011 (New one)
Started great. The Decent was a craving. I watched the longer unrated version. Fantastic. BUt I want to watch the shorter one next time. I remeber it being much more suspenseful and like Alien/Aliens that this. But the extra scenes here add a ton. Just has a little bit different feel because of that. Ended with the disappointing Fright Night 3D. Had heard good and bad. I guess all the good was on the box itself that compares the 3D to Avatar. I have yet to see Avatar in 3D believe it or not but I couldn't think that this is even in the same ballpark. The movie goes from abandoned house to abandoned house. A few moments are pretty good, 3D as well. But house to house to house... just a bore! Felt similar to the 3D of Poltergeist only that one just work pretty good as a movie and even better in 3D. Won't be watching this too many more times. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerkyboyz2jerkymen