What's new

***Official 21st Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2020*** (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Granted, this one doesn’t seem to have much to do with the Warrens and what not, I thought it a good curse/ghost story and kind of plays like a J-Horror.
I believe the only real connection is that Father Perez (played by Tony Amendola) appears in both this film and Annabelle.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
10/30

34 Asylum (1972) - ****
35 From Beyond the Grave (1974) - first
time viewing - ***1/2

Two of the series of twilight zone-ish british anthology films with 4 stories each, as well as a wrap around story for each.

Asylum is the stronger of the two, played as straight horror. A visiting doctor considering a position at an asylum interviews four patients and share stories of how they came to be at the asylum. The first tale is simple and quick, but effective. And there is a scene involving a head wrapped in butcher paper, but breathing, and making a hideous crinkly gasping sound that really freaked me out when I first saw this at 10 yrs old. The second tale stars Peter Cushing in a rare compassionate moving performance. Im so used to seeing him overacting that this was a real treat. The third tale is the weakest. The fourth should have been ridiculous, involving a "toy" robot, but Herbert Lom is quite intense and makes it work.

From Beyond the Grave revolves around people cheating Peter Cushing in an antique store and karma catching up with them. It starts strong with David Warner purchasing a 400 yr old mirror. A makeshift seance awakens an evil spirit trapped inside. The next couple of tales are played more comically, and the last has a nice twist on the through story.

36 The Texas Chainsaw Massacre pt 2 (1986) -

This is one I watch every year. Just to change things up I listened to the Tobe Hooper commentary while I watched it tonight. He doesnt do the annoying bit of just natrating what is on screen, but he is not particularly engaging either.

But filmwise, this has it all. Dark, dark comedy, great characters: Leatherface, Chop Top, Pa, and even Dennis Hoppers Lefty. And not only can Caroline Williams scream, but the things she has to endure and still keep her wits about her. Thers is plenty of Gore this time around, but it doesn't replace the tension or horror. And of course, dueling chainsaws.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Bold - Denotes first ever viewing

Rating - Out of a possible 4
skull.gif

169) 10/30/2020 Blood of the Virgins (1967)
skull.gif
1/2

Three couples run afoul a vampire and his bride when their tour bus runs out of gas. There's nary a virgin in sight in this standard vampire yarn spiced up with T&A. Bloody and colorful, but overlong even at 75 minutes.

170) 10/30/2020 Masque of the Red Death (1990)
skull.gif
1/2

Herbert Lom throws a party and psycho killer dressed like the Red Death shows up too. Lame slasher.

171) 10/31/2020 The Black Cat (1989)
skull.gif

WTF, man? Filmmakers plan to make the ultimate horror film about evil ass witch who then goes after the woman who will play her. There's also a good fairy involved and a major plot against heroine. The whole thing's a complete mess, and that might be okay if this were entertaining. But it isn't. It's just bad.

172) 10/31/2020 Curse of the Undead (1959)
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2

After watching so many clunkers I decided to watch the new Kino Blu Ray of this underrated Universal horror. A hired gun takes a job to kill a rancher who's been giving a family trouble. The rub is the gun is vampire. Michael Pate is great as the bloodsucker; Eric Fleming a fine Van Helsing substitute. A lot of fun, if familiar.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
19. Alice in Wonderland (1933) NEW – Does this count as an October themed movie? It’s kind of creepy, so I think it is. The special effects are impressive, there are some excellent performances by the name actors, and Charlotte Henry was an inspired choice to play Alice. Nevertheless, the film never quite seems to come together. It’s a little too choppy.

:emoji_rabbit::emoji_rabbit::emoji_rabbit: 1/2

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Friday:

1604090426829.png

Another horror movie that's not really horror (it's in a package of Universal horror movies featuring Boris Karloff, so...). This is more historical drama but you can get horror from executions by axe, gratuitous violence, and misc. murders. It's a quite good movie with Karloff as the club-footed executioner of Richard, Duke of Gloucester, who murders his way to the throne.

1604090743473.png

I have the Arrow Limited Edition BR with both the Unrated and "Integral" versions. I chose to watch the Integral version since I've never seen that cut before. Frankly, I've only seen the Unrated version once before (6 years ago at that) and truly couldn't tell what's been added (although it's ~20 minutes of footage). Young doctor Herbert West is convinced he can re-animate flesh in spite of what his instructor says. He starts with cats and works his way up to human flesh in pursuit of his goal while developing a special reanimating serum. Low budget, gory, very well done.

1604092466741.png

Doctor West continues his experimentation by creating a bride. The gory, gooey, fun continues. It's not as good as the first but still worth watching.

1604092767113.png

Arrested at the beginning of the movie and having been left to rot in prison for 13 years, Doctor West continues his experimentation when a new young doctor comes to Arkham State Penitentiary and, together, they develop a new reanimating serum.

1604108465489.png

A radioactive rock on the ocean floor mutates sea creatures into a horrible monster. Was it accidental or intentional? Bad all the way around - script, acting, directing, visual effects, and they show the monster in the first 30 seconds (guy in rubber suit type). The best part of the movie is the poster art. So bad it's good... sort of...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I had planned on switching over to the Universal horror movies of the 30's and 40's...
And so I did:

44. Dracula (1931)
45. Dracula (Spanish language version)
46. Frankenstein (1931)
47. Murders in the Rue Morgue
48. The Old Dark House (1932)
49. The Mummy (1932)
50. The Invisible Man (1933)
51. The Black Cat (1934)
52. The Raven
53. Bride Of Frankenstein
54. Werewolf of London
55. The Invisible Ray
56. Dracula's Daughter
57. Night Key
58. Son of Frankenstein
59. Tower of London
60. The Invisible Man Returns
61. Black Friday
62. The Mummy’s Hand
63. The Invisible Woman
64. Horror Island
65. Man Made Monster
66. The Black Cat (1941)
67. The Wolf Man
68. The Mad Doctor of Market Street
69. The Ghost Of Frankenstein
70. The Strange Case Of Doctor Rx
71. Invisible Agent
72. Night Monster
73. The Mummy's Tomb
74. Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man
75. Captive Wild Woman
76. Phantom of the Opera
77. Son of Dracula
78. The Mad Ghoul
79. Calling Dr. Death
80. Weird Woman
81. The Invisible Man’s Revenge
82. Jungle Woman
83. The Mummy’s Ghost
84. The Climax
85. Dead Man's Eyes
86. The House of Frankenstein
87. The Mummy's Curse
88. The Frozen Ghost
89. The Jungle Captive
90. Strange Confession
91. House of Dracula
92. Pillow of Death
93. House of Horrors
94. She-Wolf Of London
95. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
96. Abbott and Costello Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff
97. Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man
98. The Strange Door
99. The Black Castle
100. It Came From Outer Space
101. Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
102. Creature from the Black Lagoon
103. Revenge of the Creature
104. Cult of the Cobra
105. This Island Earth
106. Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy
107. Tarantula
108. The Creature Walks Among Us
109. The Mole People
110. The Incredible Shrinking Man
111. The Deadly Mantis
112. The Land Unknown
113. The Monolith Monsters
114. The Thing That Couldn't Die
115. Monster on the Campus
116. The Leech Woman

Needless to say, I love the old Universal horror movies. From the great (Bride Of Frankenstein, The Wolfman and The Creature From The Black Lagoon) to the decent (Son Of Frankenstein and Tarantula) to the bad (The Land Unknown), they're all enjoyable on some level to me. As good as the classic ones are, I find myself enjoying the B-level movies from the war years the most. If it's a Universal movie with Lon Chaney, I love it... even if it's a bad movie like Man Made Monster. :)

And those are only the movies that I watched until about a week and a half ago. I'll post the rest later today.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
OCTOBER 30:

37) Color Out of Space* (2019) (4K UHD Disc) 3/5 stars -
I was prepared to not like this film, since Nick Cage has practically become a crappy movie punchline, but it was pretty well done and had some genuine creepiness going. It was well acted, and even though Cage slipped into crazy mode several times I enjoyed the movie nevertheless. Not a bad way to spend a couple of hours.

38) The X-Files - S1.E15 - Lazarus (1994) (iTunes HD Streaming) 3.5/5 stars - Not the best nor the worst X-Files episode, this one dealt with the transference of consciousness from a dead bank robber to an FBI agent that Scully used to date. A serviceable entry in the series.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Man, I wish I had the viewing strength to go through a series like you and John. That's awesome to go through all those films in order.
It's pretty great to see the movies develop and change over time. You can see the code come in and calm the movies down, Universal move away from horror in the mid to late 30's, the resurgence of their horror movies in the late 30's, the shift to B-movies during WWII, the switch to Universal-International & the end of horror, the A&C monster movies and the rebirth with the sci-fi/horror stuff in the 50's.

Also, I think John is doing it better than me because he's watching all kinds of horror movies. He's watching the Lewton movies, the oddball Universal horror movies, poverty row- nearly everything I've even remotely heard of. That's like a horror history PhD. course in one month.

38) The X-Files - S1.E15 - Lazarus (1994) (iTunes HD Streaming) 3.5/5 stars - Not the best nor the worst X-Files episode, this one dealt with the transference of consciousness from a dead bank robber to an FBI agent that Scully used to date. A serviceable entry in the series.
That's one of those early episodes that I like because I see the series finding its way as they progress. I guess someone at the show had read the script for Natural Born Killers before the movie had come out because the whole dialogue between the crooks about "I'll be looking up at the exact same stars" "The same ones, baby." is pretty much verbatim in this episode and NBK.

Fans of the Battlestar Galactica remake series can spot the opera house in the climax episode too. There's few things I love more than Vancouver and all of its shooting locations.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Last year or the year before I decided to go through Cary Grant's filmography in the order that the films were made. It was a lot of fun seeing how his type of roles changed over time and how the studio was using him. It was a lot of fun seeing him go from the supporting guy, to the romantic guy to the eventual lead.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
117. Someone’s Watching Me!
118. The Fog (1980)
119. The Thing (1982)
120. Christine
121. Prince Of Darkness
122. Body Bags
123. In The Mouth Of Madness
124. Village Of The Damned (1995)
125. Vampires
126. Ghosts Of Mars
127. The Ward
128. Cat People (1942)
129. I Walked With A Zombie
130. The Leopard Man
131. The 7th Victim
132. The Ghost Ship (1943)
133. The Curse Of The Cat People
134. The Body Snatcher
135. Isle Of The Dead
136. Bedlam
137. Halloween (2007)
138. Halloween II (2009)
139. Jaws
140. Jaws 2
141. Jaws 3
142. Jaws: The Revenge
143. Psycho (1960)
144. Psycho II
145. Psycho III
146. Psycho IV: The Beginning
147. Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
148. Dawn Of The Dead (1978)
149. Day Of The Dead (1985)
150. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
151. Eaten Alive
152. The Fog (2005)
153. The Blob (1988)
154. Silver Bullet
155. Creepshow

And that brings me up to date. That's a ridiculous average of 5 movies a day and what's worse is that there was one or two days where I didn't watch anything.

Last year or the year before I decided to go through Cary Grant's filmography in the order that the films were made. It was a lot of fun seeing how his type of roles changed over time and how the studio was using him. It was a lot of fun seeing him go from the supporting guy, to the romantic guy to the eventual lead.
I've never done it with an actor but I went through Alfred Hitchcock's and Steven Spielberg's filmographies a few years back and that was interesting to see them grow as artists and just fun because I love the majority of their movies. Hitchcock was especially good because he has a fairly large body of work so there was a lot to see and his movies spanned the silent era to the mid-70's so you could watch the artform of movies change as his career went along.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I've got a ton to update but I'll do that tomorrow. I did just get back from taking my oldest to see THE EXORCIST and neither liked it. Said it was too boring. The highlight for them was me screaming at two teenagers to stop talking during the movie. They're still talking about it a hour after the movie so I guess I did something right. :)

But jeez, I really miss the original theatrical cut of this film.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Halloween - part 1

Today is mostly a day of old favorites and a couple of new films.

1604145815557.png

If you thought The Phantom from 10,000 Leagues was bad then watch this little beauty. An alien arrives in the middle of the desert. The only people around are on a failing family farm which sports a wife who hates everyone, a normal (who'd have thought) daughter, hard working husband (who's not around that much - he's working I guess), and the mute hired hand. The writing is all over the place... mom hates everyone, then gets along, hates the dog, then likes it. They can't decide if the hired hand is a menace or just misunderstood. Dad's clueless and panders to everyone. The family dog becomes vicious (OK... but mostly looks/acts friendly even when "attacking") and goes after mom. The alien is performing mind control. Talk, talk, more talk with most of it going nowhere nor adding to the story, and a poster that totally mis-sells the product.

1604146154250.png

Full disclosure: I've loved The Addams Family since I saw the TV show in its original network airings. A delightfully macabre and witty production. That caused me to "discover" the wonderful cartoons by Charles Addams. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the two Addams Family movies were done while bringing new depth. They're favorites as well. When I saw stills from the new animated movie I was excited as they look like Mr. Addams' cartoons. I immediately put it on my wish list for purchase and then Amazon adds it to Free Prime Streaming. Sweet! Watch it before purchasing during BF sales!

I'm glad I was able to watch it free before making that purchase. Unfortunately, it's just not that good, being yet another in the long string of animated movies with "modern" sensibilities grafted on classic characters with not-so-subtle "hidden" meanings. Sure, there are moments. And those few moments are quite good, however the whole is just lacking. It's the main plot that's common, and quite cliche'. The Addamses are the "normal" ones while the "regular" townsfolk are the true monsters. And that's pretty much it. Graft on a hyper, ADHD, reality host of a "home makeover" show who does a town (named - Assimilation - yeah...) makeover, somehow overlooking the old Asylum on the hill, the Addamses home, and now has to include it in the project, coupled with a daughter she mostly ignores who is befriended by Wednesday, and you have the "plot."

I wanted better than a standard, modern, cliche', kid's film. Yes, I'll still purchase a copy but will wait for the price to drop to ~$5, which shouldn't be that long.

1604150815112.png

A government scientist, meets a mysterious woman and marries quickly although he knows little of her past. His superiors want to know more about his wife's strange attributes that suggest she may be more than she appears. He, too, is somewhat concerned as he's involved in a process to power spaceships via thought transference and one of the scientists involved is killed before he can tell them how part of it is done... A very good, early 60s, British SF/Horror film.

1604154170431.png

The silent original. Relatives of Cyrus West, an eccentric millionaire, gather in his mansion, said to be haunted by his ghost, on the 20th anniversary of his death for the reading of his will.

I have to be in the right frame of mind to watch a silent. I absolutely was for this one. The KINO release has a superb score which adds to the mystery and horror of the story. Very well lit, well produced, well acted. The later Bob Hope version varies little from this one.

1604159401075.png

A scientist, Dr. Cory (Lew Ayres), is researching brains via experiments with monkeys in a home based laboratory with an assistant (Gene Evans) and his wife (Nancy Davis/Reagan). An airplane crashes nearby with a near-death survivor, millionaire Warren H. Donoval who is brought, still alive, to the house for care. When Donovan dies, Dr. Cory decides to remove and use Donovan's brain in his experiments over the objections of his wife and assistant. Donovan was ruthless and evil in life and soon the brain begins to impose his personality onto Dr. Cory and uses Cory to get rid of his enemies...

I got nightmares from this one when I first saw it (around age 9 or 10). It's far less frightening today but still a good story.

1604167779316.png

Another cover that truly has little to do with the movie. This is Roger Corman's Alien rip-off and is a typical low budget, late Corman, SF/Horror outing. It's not that bad but also not that good. Sid Haig asked Corman if he could play his role as a near mute. When Corman asked why, Haig replied "Have you read the script?" and Corman allowed the change. Haig has a single line.

1604174016198.png

This one has an interesting history. It and King Kong were filmed concurrently, with "Game" filmed at night, sharing the same sets, including the jungle, and the wall. Both featured Fay Wray and Robert Armstrong in the cast as well as Ernest B. Schoedsack (directing - though uncredited on Kong), and Merian C. Cooper (associate producer here - directing Kong). This is the first filmed version of the story.

A luxury cabin cruiser crashes on a reef with most of the crew killed. A big game hunter, Bob Rainsford, manages to swim ashore to find a fortress-like house with an owner, Count Zaroff, who seems quite welcoming. A pair of other shipwreck survivors, Eve Trowbridge and her brother Martin, are also there but the two crewmen who were with them are missing and Bob soon learns why. Zaroff releases them into his jungle island and then hunts them down in his grisly outdoor game! After Martin disappears, Bob realizes that he and Eve are to be the next pawns in Zaroff's deadly "outdoor chess" game.

A first time viewing and my favorite version. I've seen lots of them - this is the best. I'd like to see it in its original format with the footage that was edited out restored. Footage that caused people of the day to leave the theater before the movie finished! Unfortunately, it's reported that it was cut from the negative and destroyed.

I'm going to break this up into 2 parts since it's only ~3:30 with lots more to go...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
1604183873966.png

:emoji_jack_o_lantern: Death Ship (1980) :emoji_scream::emoji_scream:

After a luxury cruise liner is rammed and sunk by a seemingly derelict freighter, the few survivors board the uninhabited ship but soon begin to think they may have been better off if they'd stayed adrift in the ocean.

Two screams may be a generous rating, but they did manage to make the ghost ship pretty creepy so it provides a nice backdrop for what's rather a limp story. Richard Crenna must have signed on to every film made during this period, as he's here again after last week's The Evil (1978). Also includes George Kennedy as the disillusioned, misanthropic cruise ship captain, Nick Mancuso as a randy crewman, and Saul Rubinek in a cameo as the cruise director.

No one in the crew seemed to be paying much attention as this film is full of goofs and continuity errors. You've also never seen a cruise ship sink so fast (blink and you'll miss it). I guess they didn't want to spend any time or money on that, as what little there is seems to be repurposed from another film. There are a handful of creepy scenes and scares, so it's probably worth at least one watch with low expectations. The blu-ray from Scorpion looks excellent given the film's vintage and low-budget roots.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
OCTOBER 31: HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!!!!

39) The Monster* (2016) (Netflix HD Streaming) 2.5/5 stars -
More of a character study about the dysfunctional relationship between a young alcoholic mother and her young daughter, The Monster was entertaining, but seldom suspenseful enough to elicit any real scares. There was atmosphere, and the creature design was interesting, but it was easy to see that at the end of the day it was a guy in a suit. I've been interested in seeing this film for quite a while, and found it to be a bit of a letdown.

40) Young Frankenstein (1974) (Blu-ray Disc) 5/5 stars - Mel Brooks' best film IMO, Young Frankenstein enters, quietly, into the realm of genius. Running on all cylinders for the entire movie, Gene Wilder and company simply hit it out of the ballpark. Practically every line of dialogue is quotable, and the comedic brilliance of the performances by all involved are a sight to behold. Frau Blucher!!!

Last edited:

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
October 31: The Thing (1982) – PERFECT (5 out of 5)

A U.S. research team in the isolation of a remote Antarctic is unknowingly infiltrated by a creature that can perfectly imitate living things, including humans. It could be any member of the group. No-one is safe, an no-one knows who is still human.

This is largely a repeat of what I write about this amazing film every year, but there's absolutely nothing better than finding a movie in your life that not only can you watch over and over again, but that it gets better every time you watch it. The Thing is just such a movie. John Carpenter's bleaker and bloodier remake of Howard Hawks' The Thing From Another World (itself an adaptation of John W. Campbell’s Who Goes There), is perfect on every level. A brooding, chilling experience as the researchers come apart at the seams (sometimes literally) trying to comprehend the grotesqueries of the creature’s carnage. As they slowly realize that the thing can, take-over people, imitate them, and blend in without detection, deep paranoia grips them. The sense of dread in the unknowing, and sense of bewilderment at their isolation with such horror, gives The Thing a masterful sense of atmosphere. Performances are all solid, with Kurt Russell's gruff, natural but reluctant leader MacReady being standout.

The effects work by Rob Bottin is what ultimately pushes this excellent film into legendary status. The horrific, creative, bizarre and intricate creations of warping, bursting, twisting bodies - dogs heads splitting open, chests becoming biting mouths, heads tearing away from their bodies and sprouting legs - astonish the senses and hold up far better than any computer generated imagery. There are so many horrific practical effects in this film; appalling, exciting, fascinating and disgusting creations that are burned in my memory, there is simply no film before or since that has had as much impact on me. I am forever grateful.

My earliest memory of watching The Thing was after midnight on a small, black and white television in the bedroom that my older brother and I shared. I must have been 12 or 13. Terrifying - and that's the highest compliment one can give to a film in the horror genre. Re-watching this classic I always find new details to savor, and familiar moments to cherish. The pacing of this film should be taught in film courses. The focus on the creature effects - long, well-crafted scenes that are emotionally chaotic but stably shot so that the horror of what's on screen has time to sink in deep. The creature effects showcase the obvious horror, but it is the palpable sense of paranoia and unease that lays over this film like a thick blanket where the true, more deeply rooted horror exists.

This is the ultimate horror film, and certainly John Carpenter's finest accomplishment. I think that this film being rejected by moviegoers and misunderstood by film critics in 1982 meant that eventual cult status was inevitable, but the positive critical and audience reappraisal it’s received over the years recognizing its filmmaking craft and power, places it firmly into cinematic legend status. And that’s just where it belongs because it is perfect in every way.

That's another year's challenge concluded. I had a blast and loved reading everyone's watches and review. Thank you!!!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
25. The Midnight Hour (1985) **1/2

230px-The_Midnight_Hour_DVD.jpg

First time viewing of this TV movie, which seems to be very fondly remembered by many '80s kids. A group of teens (including Shari Belafonte, Peter DeLuise and Levar Burton) living in a New England town with a history of witchcraft, read out a spell in a graveyard on Halloween night and unleash hordes of the undead - including werewolves, vampires, zombies and assorted ghouls. It's up to the shy boy of the gang, Phil (Lee Montgomery) and Sandy, the ghost of a 1950s cheerleader (a super adorable Jonna Lee) to undo the spell before the whole town is consumed. The horror is pretty toothless, even by TV movie standards, but the story, especially the time-crossed ghostly romance angle, is enjoyable enough. Adding to the fun are some cool creature make-ups, lots of neat '80s Halloween party trappings, and a wall-to-wall soundtrack of oldies hosted by Wolfman Jack (the latter of which have kept this flick from ever seeing the light of day on DVD or Blu). Not a banger by any means, but a decent Halloween-themed treat...and I'll take this over Hubie Halloween any day of the week.

Finished up this year's challenge with some relaxing Halloween night's viewing:

26. "Hair-Raising Hare" (1946)
27. "Bewitched Bunny" (1954)
Felt like throwing on a couple of classic WB bugs Bunny shorts. Bot are great, with maybe "Hair-Raising Hare" being slightly more iconic, what with its giant red hairy monster getting its nails done at one point by Bugs:

"My, I bet you monsters lead INNNNNteresting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day - Gee, I'll bet monsters are INNNNteresting, I said. The places you must go and the places you must see...my stars!"

"Bewitched Bunny" sees the debut of Witch Hazel (here voiced - sublimely - by Bea Benederet) and is equally funny. Gotta love classic Looney Tunes.

28. Horror Express (1972) ***

horror-express-arrow.jpg

One of my favorite Euro horror films, with the rare added bonus of having both Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing both on the side of good this time around. Lee plays a scientist who discovers the fossil of an ape-like creature in Manchuria and brings it aboard the Trans-Siberian Express in a big crate, with Cushing his curious and slightly more rule-bending rival. Turns out that the missing link is inhabited by a body-hopping being from outer space that sucks the knowledge out of its victims' brains with its burning red eyes. Rollicking mayhem ensues, as the bodies pile up, a bullying Cossack captain (played by Telly Savalas) boards the train with a squad of soldiers and Lee and Cushing act all upper-crust and British. The direction by Eugenio Martin is a bit rough around the edges, but a good (mostly Spanish) supporting cast, eerie atmosphere and a clever story keeps this train chugging right along. And one thing you can always count on in a Euro horror flick is some really drop-dead gorgeous actresses, and this one is no slouch in that department either, featuring as it does Helge Line and Silvia Tortosa (pictured below).

MV5BYzQ0N2E1NmUtZTA5OS00MTYzLWEwNjgtNjBjOGFiNDBjMjZhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Man, I'm a slouch compared to a lot of you guys. But I got more viewed this year than last...and more importantly, I enjoyed myself. Here's my final list (first time watches in orange):

1a. The Saint "Sibao"
1b. Strange Report "Hand"
2. Innocent Blood (1992) (new)
3. "Creeps" (1956 Three Stooges short)
4. A Cold Night's Death (1973)
5. Abbott & Costello Meet the Mummy (1955)
6. Galaxy of Terror (1981)
7. Chopping Mall (1986)
8. Kolchak - The Night Stalker - "The Vampire" / "The Spanish Moss Murders"
9. The Norliss Tapes (1973)
10. The Ghost Breakers (1940)
11. Slither (2006)
12. Theater of Blood (1973)
13. Whispering Ghosts (1942)
14. It: Chapter 2 (2019)
15. The X-Files - "Syzygy" / "Grotesque"
16. Orson Welles Great Mysteries "The Leather Funnel"
17. Lake Placid (1999)
18. The X-Files - "Our Town" / "Schizogeny"
19. The Abominable Snowman (1957)
20. The Invisible Man Returns (1940)
21. Abbott & Costello Meet the Invisible Man (1951)
22. The Twilight Zone - "Still Valley"
23. The Twilight Zone - "The Jungle"
24. An American Werewolf in London (1981)
25. The Midnight Hour (1985)
26. "Hair-Raising Hare" (1946 WB animated short)
27. "Bewitched Bunny" (1954 WB animated short)
28. Horror Express (1972)

That makes 14 1/2 new-to-me views. Eighteen movies (including 3 TV movies), one theatrical live-action short, two theatrical animated shorts, and several TV episodes.

It was fun to check out what everyone else was watching. Thanks, folks...see you next year!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks