***Official 21st Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2020***

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
After reading reviews and descriptions I decided to... NOT watch the others in that set.

For the curious, the other films in the set are:
The Dead Zone - This one has the best reviews but the premise sounds kind of "meh" and is a type I generally don't like.
Pet Sematary - From the reviews I've read this is bottom-of-the-barrel King. Since I consider his "top shelf" material to be quite low aspiring it's a pass.
Graveyard Shift - Also rather negative reviews but not nearly as bad as for Pet Sematary. Still, it sounds rather lame and I just don't like "rat" movies at all finding most rather laughable. Another pass.
IMO, The Dead Zone is one of the best King film adaptations ever. It has a genuinely melancholy, spooky vibe, and Christopher Walken is just superb in it. Plus, it's directed by David Cronenberg. I wouldn't be too hasty in writing it off. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
IMO, The Dead Zone is one of the best King film adaptations ever. It has a genuinely melancholy, spooky vibe, and Christopher Walken is just superb in it. Plus, it's directed by David Cronenberg. I wouldn't be too hasty in writing it off. :)
And Graveyard Shift is one of the worst. I'm shocked that it's considered to have better reviews than Pet Sematary.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I remember seeing GRAVEYARD SHIFT in the theater as a 10-year-old and thinking it was crap. I re-visited it a few years ago and I was a smart kid. THE DEAD ZONE is a near masterpiece IMO. A terrific little thriller. I'm not big on PET SEMATARY, although it certainly has a large group of fans.

I've got the next three days off of work but I'm not sure what I'm going to watch. We've got A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET on the big screen tonight. A local theater is playing HALLOWEEN (1978) on Friday so we got tickets to that and then I booked a private screening after so we can watch the 2018. I've always wanted to see these back-to-back yet theater owners weren't smart enough so I had to do it my way. :)

This month's Vinegar Syndrome titles got pushed back so that cleared up some room. I still haven't watched a Lugosi film yet. I've got a couple dozen made-for-television films but I might just push them back to the next year.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And Graveyard Shift is one of the worst. I'm shocked that it's considered to have better reviews than Pet Sematary.
Looks like I got those reversed - but neither have what I'd call "good" reviews and are quite close, number wise, on those using that method.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm not a huge Cronenberg fan either. I really like The Fly and think Scanners is pretty good but I've not cared for anything else I've seen from him.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
First Time Viewing

1603907512059.png

42. Parasite 3-D :emoji_star: :emoji_star: :emoji_star:

So right off the bat this was a completely blind purchase, based off of past experience with films restored by the 3-D Film Archive, and the fact that the image of the Parasite on the cover art having four eyes really freaks me out. It's one of those odd things that affects men more than women Vincent price explained it perfectly, a guy gets cobwebs in his face he will freak out, while women just think the place is dirty.

Would have posted this earlier, but the way things are, I needed to throw charge on my 3D glasses to watch this the way it was meant to be

So, Charles Band, a few years away from playing with Jack Death or becoming his own little Puppet Master directed this silver age renaissance 3D film. With a cast of virtually unknowns, and one ingénue in the making Demi Moore and her second starring film role. Makes me kinda wish that the director from blame it on Rio would have done it in 3D.

The film is set in a dystopian Future Past, what else could it be there's real no dead set timeframe, but the limited budget only allowed for so much. Where an organization similar to the Umbrella Corporation from Resident Evil; is in League with the government to control the population. Our hero the scientist was developing a new parasite until he found out what Government/ Organizations plans were.
Having been infected he has another in a container for research on a way to destroy this parasite , arriving in the small desert town to continue his research away from prying eyes his research subject gets away And does what a parasite does to human beings.

Early work from Stan Winston and Co do really good on the creature, and Band does an effective job of utilizing depth for 3D effect. Once again Kino and the 3-D Film Archive, knock it out of the park with another great release.

next...

dpippel

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I'm not a huge Cronenberg fan either. I really like The Fly and think Scanners is pretty good but I've not cared for anything else I've seen from him.
I think The Dead Zone is one of his better, and less over-the-top, films. All I'm saying is that you might want to give it a shot. Your call, of course.

Pete Battista

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
014381732450f.jpg

Title: Hellraiser

Year:
Director: Clive Barker
Writer: Clive Barker (Writer)
Rating: R
Length: 93 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, Commentary: :
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Andrew Robinson (1942) as Larry
Clare Higgins as Julia
Ashley Laurence as Kirsty
Sean Chapman as Frank
Oliver Smith as Frank the Monster
Robert Hines as Steve

Plot:
From horror master Clive Barker comes this chilling nightmare featuring the first appearance of the hideous demonic Pinhead. When Kirsty Cotton's family moves into their ancestral home, they are terrorized by the resurrected corpse of her uncle, who requires the flesh of murdered innocent victims in order to become whole and alive again. A creepy, thrillingly perverse tale straddling heaven and hell, extreme pleasure and unbearable pain, HELLRAISER will haunt your dreams.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
BD-Live

My Thoughts:
I have not watched in a very long time. The first time I saw this movie I was a teenager... maybe 16 or 17... and this could have been my first taste of a truly gory movie. One thing I like about this movie is it is not just gore for the sake of gore. The gore is actually vital to the storyline. I also liked how the characters in this movie was done. I liked the characters that were supposed to be liked... and I enjoyed disliking the characters that were not meant to be liked. Over-all an enjoyable movie with good effects. Even though by today's standards the gore isn't as plentiful as some of the current movies out there (not that there wasn't enough gore)... What is there is used well.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
:emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U- 4k UHD
B - Blu Ray Viewing
D - DVD Viewing
S - Streaming

Bold/Red = Denotes first ever viewing

Rating - Out of a possible 5 :emoji_skull_crossbones:

Night of the Demon - D - : :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Nightmare Cinema - D -:emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Invisible Man - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
Lighthouse - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Vampires vs The Bronx - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
The Lost Boys - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
The Amityville Horror - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:

Fantasy Island - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Jeepers Creepers 2 - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
Don't Knock Twice - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
The Dead Don't Die - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Mostly Ghostly: Have You Met My Ghoulfriend - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Damned By Dawn - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Christine - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Good Boy - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Resicent Evil: Damnation - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Hocus Pocus - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
It - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
It: Chapter 2 - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Pet Sematary (1989) - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Pet Sematary (2019) - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Pet Sematary 2 - D - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Walled In - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Billy the Kid vs. Dracula - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Tales from the Hood - D - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Tales from the Hood 2 - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Midsommar - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Hubie Halloween - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
The Thing ('82) - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Thirteen Ghosts - D - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Suspiria - D - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
The Toolbox Murders - D - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Van Helsing - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Final Destination 2 - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Silver Bullet - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Event Horizon - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
The Rage: Carrie 2 - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
The Gorgon - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Hatchet - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
Hatchet 2 - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Hellraiser - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:

Total Watched: 41

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Rating - Out of a possible 4

146) 10/28/2020 Genius At Work (1946)

Lionel Atwill is the notorious Cobra, and Bela Lugosi his henchman. in this horror comedy featuring the "comic" stars of Zombies on Broadway. Plot involves radio writer who's close to learning the Cobra's identity. Atwill and Lugosi are in this quite a bit and make a great team. They keep this watchable.

147) 10/28/2020 The Beast With Five Fingers (1946)

A most entertaining entry in the disembodied hand subgenre. A paralyzed pianist, who still had the use of his left hand, dies under mysterious circumstances. The hand is removed from the corpse, music is soon heard throughout the estate, and the deceased's attorney is strangled! Probably the first Warner Bros. horror film not to feature a fast-talking reporter. Peter Lorre is his usual great self as secretary obsessed with astrology.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Graveyard Shift holds a special place in my heart, because I saw it Halloween 1990. It's probably the worst Halloween I ever had. The year before, Halloween was on a Tuesday, and I spent it studying for the CPA exam which started November 1. No TV watching or candy eating that day. (Lots of coffee though.) So I was really excited for Halloween 1990. Well, the movie was total crap, and afterwards me and my best friend were going to visit a haunted house my younger brother was involved in. When we got there, we found out the thing had been closed down because of a fight that broke out between the current boyfriend and an ex-boyfriend of one of the attendees. We were pissed. Bad movie, no haunted house. Yeah. just hearing Graveyard Shift makes me shudder for the wrong reasons.

dpippel

Premium
Real Name
Doug
OCTOBER 28:

32) Underworld: Blood Wars* (2016) (4K UHD Disc) 2/5 stars -
Man, the melodramatic soap opera rivalry between the Lycans (werewolves) and the Vampires just never seems to get resolved! I thought the original Underworld was a pretty entertaining film, and it looks great on 4K UHD, but everything after that first movie just drove right off the cliff, into the abyss. The production values of these films are sky-high, and they manage to attract top talent (in this case Kate Beckinsale, Charles Dance, and that nasty guy from Outlander), but man, what a slog! Ms. Beckinsale is the only reason to recommend this one, and she was phoning it in.

33) Lovecraft Country S1.E3 - Holy Ghost* (2020) (HBO HD Streaming) 4/5 stars - Only three episodes in the series has taken a huge left turn, and I thought this was the best one yet. One scene in particular stood out in its awesomeness. I love it when you're watching a show like this and you never know what's going to happen. Looking forward to more!

Last edited:

whacky blacky

Second Unit
Real Name
shawn blackman
October 28

64. Grim Woods (2019). FTV. Streamed. 1.5/5. Some friends sit around a campfire reading horror stories to one another from a mysterious book. Another bad low budget time waster. If you took Grim Prairie Tales (1990) and smashed it with a hammer this is would be the end result.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
October 28: The Wolf of Snow Hollow (2020) – 4.5 out of 5 – First Time Viewing

The quiet ski-town community of Snow Hollow is rocked by a brutal murder and the small-town sheriff’s department is ill-prepared for the crime (and what soon follows). Officer John Marshall (Jim Cummings) is particularly ill-equipped as talk of the murderer turns to something not human, his worry about his sickly father (the Sheriff) on the edge of retirement seeps in, and his alcoholism rears its ugly head.

The Wolf of Snow Hollow is without a doubt my absolute favorite discovery this year. A horror comedy that hinges successfully on the lead performance by writer/director Jim Cummings, who plays Officer Marshall. Cummings manages to bring a genuine quirk-fill zeal to a man unravelling under the pressure of his circumstances. He plays a mean, tightly wound jerk and yet, despite all his unpleasant behavior, engenders no small amount of sympathy.

The script is smart and the small cast delightful, including the late Robert Forster in his penultimate screen performance. But what I really appreciated about this film is how the horror of the creature isn’t underplayed even amongst comedic moments born of personal chaos. Seriously, this was a blast and manages to have the last laugh.

Too new to stream free, but it went on sale this week of you want to take a chance on it like I did.

Reactions: dpippel

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
1603943708075.png

:emoji_jack_o_lantern: Z :emoji_scream: :emoji_scream: :emoji_scream:

A family is being terrorized by their son's new imaginary friend. One day 8-year-old Josh announces he has a new friend, Z, that seems visible only to him. Josh soon becomes sullen and violent, getting in trouble at school and causing his classmates to avoid him. While Dad just chalks it up to typical "boy" behavior and a vivid imagination, Josh's Mom is deathly afraid there is more to it.

A pleasant surprise after being less than happy with a couple other Shudder original movies. No real gore to speak of here, but there are some scary moments and one death that, while not exactly surprising itself as there's plenty of foreshadowing, was kind of shocking in how they presented it.

1603945883616.png

Bugs Bunny's Howl-o-Ween Special :emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream:

Bugs takes on Witch Hazel in a Halloween special that also features Porky Pig, Sylvester, Tweety, and Daffy. I love Witch Hazel. I think she's one of the funniest LT characters, featuring the incredible voice talent of June Foray. She's so funny, she usually cracks herself up, letting out a shrieking giggle, clicking her heels together, and zooming off in a cloud of spinning hair pins. :lol:

The DVD also includes the bonus episode, Hair Raising Hare, where Bugs meets Gossamer, the huge hairy monster in tennis shoes. This also features one of my favorite Bugs quotes at the end:

Last edited:

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell

148) 10/28/2020 Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

The best horror comedy of all time since the Monsters play it straight, and this film works better as a horror film than a comedy because of it. Dracula (Bela Lugosi) wants to transplant Lou Costello's brain into the Frankenstein monster (Glenn Strange). Larry Talbot (Lon Chaney, Jr.) wants to stop it. Some big laughs, with the horror stars at the top of their game. Great finale too.

A moment of silence for the last Universal "classic monsters" movie.

149) 10/28/2020 The Creeper (1948)

Familiar tale of mysterious creature killing people while strange experiments are being conducted by various scientists. The daughter of one of the doctors thinks she may be the murderer. I guess she didn't see She-Wolf of London. Mostly competent, familiar cast (Ralph Morgan, Onslow Stevens) keeps things from becoming too uninteresting.

150) 10/29/2020 Yotsuya Kaidan (1949)

Most Japanese horror that I've seen is basically the same story. A ghost of a wronged person exacts supernatural revenge against her killers. During the 1950s and 1960s, it was usually a scorned wife or lover. The most famous, oft-filmed such story is Yotsuya Kaidan, an 1825 stage play first filmed in 1925. In 1949 the story was told over the course of two films, released within two weeks of each other in July. Part 1 sets up the death of Oiwa, devoted wife to Iemon, a poor samurai who longs for a more prosperous life. Iemon is manipulated by no-good prison escapee who takes advantage of the troubled Iemon, who doesn't wish to harm his wife. First part is very well acted and sets up things for the comeuppance in the second film.

151) 10/29/2020 Shinshaku Yotsuya Kaidan: Kôhen (1949)

Oiwa has suffered a horrible death, and her murderers think they gotten away with it. But events unfold that lead to their undoing. Not as as supernaturally charged as some of the other versions (the 1959 version by Nobuo Nakagawa is considered the best) but still powerful, as Iemon's conscience does its own number on him before his wife's ghost finally shows up.

And thus ends the 1930s/1940s. Now to see if I can squeeze in 10 new views before the 31st.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Though many episodes edge more into fantasy or science fiction than outright horror, The Twilight Zone was one of the shows that frequently scared me a youngster. I find the majority of them still highly effective and atmospheric, and a handful remain pretty spooky even today.

22. The Twilight Zone - 3.11 "Still Valley"
Rod Serling adapts the Manly Wade Wellman Civil War-era short story "The Valley Was Still." A Confederate scout (nicely played by Gary Merrill) on a recon mission discovers that a troop of Union soldiers invading a small valley town have been magically frozen in place by the sole remaining inhabitant, a dying old warlock (Vaughn Taylor). The old man gives the scout his book of spells, to use them to turn the tide of the war in the Confederacy's favor...but to do so will involve making a pact with Satan. Interesting little morality play with occult overtones.

23. The Twilight Zone - 3.12 "The Jungle"
An executive (John Dehner, in his second of three appearances on the show) recently returned to New York City from a hydroelectric dam project in Africa, sneers at his wife's terror over a witch doctor's curse placed upon them. He soon finds out that these superstitions might have a lot more bite than he expects. Some really creepy moments in this one, as Dehner has to walk back home through deserted nighttime city streets while seemingly stalked by some dark force. In one effective scene, the phone in a out-of-order phone booth suddenly rings, and when Dehner picks it up, he hears the screeches and calls of jungle wildlife coming out of the receiver. This one's written by horror specialist and frequent TZ scribe, Charles Beaumont, and it's a dandy.

I watched these on the Image DVD sets, and the show's signature stylish black-and-white cinematography looked pristine in both episodes. This was always a uniformly nice-looking, well-produced and well-acted show, and when the writing was up to snuff, which it mostly was, this was IMO the best anthology show ever made.

Last edited:

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Bold - Denotes first ever viewing

152) 10/29/2020 Deadly Manor (1990)

Three couples pick up hitchhiker Jamie Gumb while en route to their vacation spot. They all eventually decide to seek shelter for the night and find seemingly abandoned house in the middle of nowhere. They then ignore various signs of danger such as a house window closing by itself; a monument in the form of a burnt auto; coffins in the cellar; scalps in the closet; and the same woman's picture plastered all over the house. Eventually they're all hunted by mystery killer, although there really was no point in keeping the killer's identity a mystery. (An explanation is given but it really doesn't figure into the plot mechanics; it's just exposition.)

This is a passable pseudo slasher (the gore is rather tame for 1990) that has good visuals, some suspenseful moments, and at least one good, honest jump scare moment. The knife wielding killer, when he finally speaks, is quite creepy and the film's finale is decent. But the acting ranges from OK to subpar, and there really isn't much of a story here. The Arrow blu-ray is very nice looking. Directed by José Ramón Larraz of Vampyres fame, this is one of his lessor efforts. His previous thriller Edge of the Axe is supposed to be pretty good, so I think I'll check that out next.

Reactions: Suzanne.S

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Wednesday's viewings:

1603922499086.png

A bus wreck kills, by electrocution, all but 1 passenger. One of his doctors asks him to visit so he can study why he's somewhat immune to high voltage. However, the doctor's associate is studying ways to control people via electricity and feeds the man more and more until he's a living capacitor which can become controlled by the doctor.

An OK, but kind of one note monster movie it fails to generate much horror or excitement. Lon Chaney, Jr. is our electrifying passenger and does a good job as does Lionel Atwell, the evil scientist.

1603922806631.png

Yet another "haunted castle on an island" comedy horror from Universal. This time there's treasure hidden in the castle and various people are looking for it. The new owner is one step ahead of his creditors and recruits people to help him look by making it an adventure outing and charging for the fun. The problem is, a murderer is on the island killing the treasure hunters one by one.

This has the typical hidden doors/chambers and requisite dangers from an unknown murderer all played mostly for laughs. Not bad but becoming somewhat run of the mill by now.

1603923058629.png

OK... I broke down and my coworker didn't come in to collect the set so...
I think The Dead Zone is one of his better, and less over-the-top, films. All I'm saying is that you might want to give it a shot. Your call, of course.
It was the relatively good reviews from Roger Ebert:
and Richard Scheib:
which convinced me it's not a film I think I'd like and that King's story would fail to deliver something satisfying.

So... were my gut feelings correct?

They pretty much lost me when, at around 20 minutes in, Johnny (Walken) told the doctor (Herber Lom) his mother was alive after "seeing" a WWII scene when he took the doctor's hand. It didn't help that the previous scene where he first displayed his new "powers" showed a fish bowl exploding from a fire. And then it became incredibly boring and a rather trite and cliche' "psychic" movie for another half hour as Johnny avoids everything. Then clues to a killer from a dead girl - getting visions of what happened before she was killed, seeing it all in 3rd person view. And... it got no better as it progressed and was mostly lots and lots of talk - just talk. Just where was the "horror" part of this "horror" movie? I got no SF feel and little "thriller" either. It's pure "psychic" drama, and a generic one at that. Silver Bullet was far superior and that's not saying much.

I should have listened to my gut.

I need a good movie...
1603930702288.png

Yep - this'll do. The "theatrical" cut this time - a version I've not seen in many years. It's still just as good as it was the first time I saw it. And to think, I'd pretty much written it off due to the ad campaign when it premiered. Horror SF just doesn't get much better than this.

1603969098428.png

Lugosi is the butler, Atwill a somewhat sleezy doctor. Psychologist Dr. Harper (Irene Hervey) has been called out to asses the sanity of Margaret, daughter of Kurt Ingston, the crippled owner of the mansion. In addition, three medical doctors (Atwill is one), who Inston holds a grudge against blaming them for his being crippled, are called to the mansion and one-by-one are murdered. It can't be Kurt - he's crippled - so who can it be.

This one's more a standard murder in a "haunted house" type mystery with the monster a rather mundane affair. Even though he's "only" the butler, Lugosi has lots of screen time and does well. Atwill is... well... Atwill. Always reliable.

sleroi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
10/28

32. The Man With Two Brains (1983) - *****

After a rough day at work I needed something lighter ro watch. Yes, its a comedy, but its got a mad scientist, disembodied brains and murder.

Steve Martin plays a recently widowed brain surgeon slowly going insane because his new bride, Kathleen Turner, keeps postponing the consummation of their marriage. While at a brain surgery symposium in Austria he falls in love telepathically with a brain in a jar and must find a body in wich to place it. So he decides to copycat the elevator killer who has been injecting beautiful women with window cleaner.

I know comedy is highly subjective but this film never ceases to crack me up. And there are a few nice nods to classic horror, including a scene in an alley with a beautiful expressionistic shadow.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cineescape