***Official 21st Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2020***

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I saw the uncut THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT at a festival and boy, is that a movie. Hope you like it!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I saw the uncut THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT at a festival and boy, is that a movie. Hope you like it!
I think the version I have is uncut. Actually, I think it has both versions, but I'll watch the uncut one.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Last night of the festival was Jack followed by Gasper Noe's CLIMAX. A hell of a way to end it and maybe a top 10 night at the movies for me since the crowd was into it.

CLIMAX counts as horror. :)
I guess Jack is about 2 1/2 hours. Still shorter than the DC of Midsommar.

I saw Climax. Kind of like Irreversible with dancing addicts.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
Reactions: ChristopherG

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, he's listed as writer (of course) and Executive Producer, but I don't know if that signifies any real involvement or is mostly just symbolic.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
Yeah, he's listed as writer (of course) and Executive Producer, but I don't know if that signifies any real involvement or is mostly just symbolic.
I'm thinking he's simply getting a paycheck for the use of his name as EP. Nothing wrong with that, of course. The stories are his.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I had no idea Bone Tomahawk was so twisted. I'm in. I'll give it a try for October. Double feature with Ravenous? :P
I thought Bone Tomahawk was outstanding. It is the perfect introduction to the filmmaking of Mr. Zahler, which seems a love it or hate it style...think a much more brutal and contemplative John Carpenter. The film is not rated because when they submitted it for a rating it required cuts of the extreme graphic violence and Mr. Zahler did not wish to cut the film so it was released as is. Good move on his part as it stands at the top of the heap of the "western horror" hybrid genre. It's not a feel good film but it is a really fine horror picture.

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Interesting to see that Barker doesn't appear to be involved. Really though, that might be a good thing. I recently watched Nightbreed for the first time in years and years. It has not aged well. Outside of Hellraiser, he wasn't a very good director.
I believe with Mr. Barker there are few people that want direct involvement with him. There is a story about him getting furious at a producer or studio exec and the guy left Barker alone in his office and Clive took a crap on his desk. No idea if that is true but among other things it appears to have earned him a "not easy to work with" label.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I really enjoyed The House That Jack Built and felt it was probably one of Lars von Trier's most entertaining pictures as it has a more obvious sense of humor...ah...very dark and inappropriate humor but it is funny. It also helps if you have read some Dante, particularly Inferno, as this is a large part of the story. Dillon and Ganz give excellent amusing performances. It's not a straight serial killer film it is really shooting for something much more than that. Leave it to Lars to make a comedic serial killer film that pours on...um...some divine comedy.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My Walmart has a dedicated Halloween movie section in the media area. I already have most of the titles there but I did pick up Gretel & Hansel on blu for $10. They have the recent remake of The Grudge, but on DVD only. If they had the blu, I'd probably buy that too.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Here are a couple that are going to be "new" to me that are on my October list:

Edge of the Axe - Arrow Blu-ray, 1980s slasher film certainly borrowing a bit from Friday the 13th. Said to be stylishly made with some pretty photography and bloody kills.

Deadly Manor- Also on Arrow Blu-ray from the same Spanish director that helmed Edge of the Axe. Just peeking at some online comments on this one it seems sort of love it or hate it. Also a slasher film, said to be beautifully atmospheric.

Reactions: Bryan^H

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Vinegar Syndrome is releasing the director's REST IN PIECES next month as well.

Here are a couple that are going to be "new" to me that are on my October list:

Edge of the Axe - Arrow Blu-ray, 1980s slasher film certainly borrowing a bit from Friday the 13th. Said to be stylishly made with some pretty photography and bloody kills.

Deadly Manor- Also on Arrow Blu-ray from the same Spanish director that helmed Edge of the Axe. Just peeking at some online comments on this one it seems sort of love it or hate it. Also a slasher film, said to be beautifully atmospheric.

Reactions: Reggie W

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gil Jones