***Official 21st Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2020***

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
View attachment 80505

Title: Hubie Halloween

Plot:
Hubie Dubois who, despite his devotion to his hometown of Salem, Massachusetts (and its legendary Halloween celebration), is a figure of mockery for kids and adults alike. But this year, something really is going bump in the night, and it’s up to Hubie to save Halloween.

My Thoughts:
I decided to watch this one for a laugh...though I didn;t get many. This one would be ok for a family night type thing but it is one that is definitely more for the younger crowd. I felt this style was fun back in the 90s... just not so much any more. I guess my taste has gotten more sophisticated in my later years. Really this one gives you exactly what you would expect from the trailer. No real surprise twists or anything like that.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
:emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U- 4k UHD
B - Blu Ray Viewing
D - DVD Viewing
S - Streaming

Bold/Red = Denotes first ever viewing

Rating - Out of a possible 5 :emoji_skull_crossbones:

Night of the Demon - D - : :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Nightmare Cinema - D -:emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Invisible Man - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
Lighthouse - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Vampires vs The Bronx - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
The Lost Boys - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
The Amityville Horror - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:

Fantasy Island - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Jeepers Creepers 2 - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
Don't Knock Twice - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
The Dead Don't Die - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Mostly Ghostly: Have You Met My Ghoulfriend - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Damned By Dawn - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Christine - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Good Boy - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Resicent Evil: Damnation - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Hocus Pocus - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
It - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
It: Chapter 2 - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Pet Sematary (1989) - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Pet Sematary (2019) - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Pet Sematary 2 - D - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Walled In - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Billy the Kid vs. Dracula - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Tales from the Hood - D - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Tales from the Hood 2 - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Midsommar - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Hubie Halloween - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:

Total Watched: 28
You're a tougher man than I, Pete...I tried watching this thing and couldn't make it past the first 5 minutes. I'm not an Adam Sandler hater, but when he puts on that stupid voice, I'm out.

Reactions: JackieT and dpippel

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You're a tougher man than I, Pete...I tried watching this thing and couldn't make it past the first 5 minutes. I'm not an Adam Sandler hater, but when he puts on that stupid voice, I'm out.
I've only ever seen one Sandler movie, and there's a reason.

It's awesome, though.

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
15. The X-Files
Don't have much time for the "mythology" episodes of this show these days, but still love the "Monster of the Week" episodes. These two fit the bill perfectly, and I don't recall having seen either of them before.

3.13 "Syzygy"
Strange events, including the murders of several local teen boys, bring Mulder and Scully to a small town in the grip of "Satanic panic." Everyone's begins acting weird and out-of-character, especially Scully, who is a raging bitch throughout this episode. At first I was put off by her demeanor, but eventually it all fits in with the story's premise, that a rare cosmic alignment has set people off...particularly two teen girls who share the same birthday, and are now manifesting Carrie-like telekinetic powers. Pretty fun episode, with some gruesome kills (an X-Files specialty) and good banter between the leads. Mulder's panicked reaction when the hot local detective (Dana Wheeler-Nicholson) hornily pounces on him in his hotel room is very funny, as is his comeback to Scully in the following exchange:

Scully: I'm driving. Why do you always have to drive? Because you're the guy? Because you're the big, macho man?

Mulder: No. I was just never sure your little feet could reach the pedals.

3.14 "Grotesque"
Scully is back to her normal self in this dark and stylish episode. After an immigrant artist is arrested for brutally disfiguring and dismembering several young men, claiming that a "demon" possessed him, Mulder and Scully are called in when a new series of copycat murders begins. Scully grows increasingly concerned for Mulder's sanity as he becomes obsessed with getting into the murderer's mindset. Are the murders being committed by some gargoyle-like creature? Or is there a more prosaic answer. It's fairly obvious what's going on, but in the usual X-Files vein, the show layers on the ambiguity. This one plays like a dry run for Chris Carter's sister show, Millennium, with it's very grim, grisly serial killer mystery plot - not that that's a bad thing. Kurtwood Smith is typically good as a famed FBI profiler who doesn't like Mulder but respects his abilities.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
October 20: The Dead Don’t Die (2019) – 4 out of 5 – First Time Viewing

Something strange is happening in the world and the small-town folk of Centerville are consumed with discussions about the oddness and what it all means. The sun doesn’t seem to want to set, pets are acting mean and vicious, and eventually, when the dead start waking from their slumber and lumbering around town killing people, the townsfolk will batten down the hatches and fight back as best they can.

The Dead Don’t Die is such an odd film. It takes zombie ingredients seriously, and manages some palpable dread, but it mixes in some deliciously deadpan humor, meta-self-awareness, a long list of recognizable talent, and some bizarre, left-field turns that make complete sense in how they make no sense. I loved it. I can’t image everyone will be down for the weird ride but watching Bill Murray and Adam Driver deliver funny lines as straight as an arrow is worth the price of admission alone.

This film maintains humor along with a thick layer of bleakness and dread and that’s something of a miracle. It’s patient and calm throughout its runtime almost without exception and I really had fun with it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
15. The X-Files
Don't have much time for the "mythology" episodes of this show these days, but still love the "Monster of the Week" episodes. These two fit the bill perfectly, and I don't recall having seen either of them before.

3.14 "Grotesque"
Scully is back to her normal self in this dark and stylish episode. After an immigrant artist is arrested for brutally disfiguring and dismembering several young men, claiming that a "demon" possessed him, Mulder and Scully are called in when a new series of copycat murders begins. Scully grows increasingly concerned for Mulder's sanity as he becomes obsessed with getting into the murderer's mindset. Are the murders being committed by some gargoyle-like creature? Or is there a more prosaic answer. It's fairly obvious what's going on, but in the usual X-Files vein, the show layers on the ambiguity. This one plays like a dry run for Chris Carter's sister show, Millennium, with it's very grim, grisly serial killer mystery plot - not that that's a bad thing. Kurtwood Smith is typically good as a famed FBI profiler who doesn't like Mulder but respects his abilities.

Grotesque was a really dark episode for network TV in 1996 and probably one of the darkest episodes of The X-Files. After that, Chris Carter funneled his really dark stuff to Millennium which started later that year.

Also, the kid that gets killed at the beginning of Syzygy is Ryan Reynolds.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
October 20: The Dead Don’t Die (2019) – 4 out of 5 – First Time Viewing

Something strange is happening in the world and the small-town folk of Centerville are consumed with discussions about the oddness and what it all means. The sun doesn’t seem to want to set, pets are acting mean and vicious, and eventually, when the dead start waking from their slumber and lumbering around town killing people, the townsfolk will batten down the hatches and fight back as best they can.

The Dead Don’t Die is such an odd film. It takes zombie ingredients seriously, and manages some palpable dread, but it mixes in some deliciously deadpan humor, meta-self-awareness, a long list of recognizable talent, and some bizarre, left-field turns that make complete sense in how they make no sense. I loved it. I can’t image everyone will be down for the weird ride but watching Bill Murray and Adam Driver deliver funny lines as straight as an arrow is worth the price of admission alone.

This film maintains humor along with a thick layer of bleakness and dread and that’s something of a miracle. It’s patient and calm throughout its runtime almost without exception and I really had fun with it.
It's Jarmusch. If it wasn't weird, well, that would be weird.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Grotesque was a really dark episode for network TV in 1996 and probably one of the darkest episodes of The X-Files. After that, Chris Carter funneled his really dark stuff to Millennium which started later that year.

Also, the kid that gets killed at the beginning of Syzygy is Ryan Reynolds.
Yes, I forgot to mention that - thanks for the reminder! Babyface Ryan Reynolds, as a high school jock that becomes the first on-screen victim in "Syzygy."

Reactions: TravisR

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
1603249860694.png

The Final Destination 3D (2009)

The Film :emoji_scream: :emoji_scream: 1/2
The 3D Presentation :emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream:

Nick has a premonition of a massive crash that sends debris into the crowd while watching a stock car race and convinces his friends to leave just as all hell breaks loose, killing 52 people. But Death does not give up that easily and always has Plan B, C, D, etc., in his pocket to deal with those who dare to think they may have escaped his clutches.

This is the fourth film in the series and by this point they're pretty formulaic. The big opening disaster from which a small group manages to escape, then the rest of the film is spent seeing how fate catches up with the survivors as they ponder many futile ways to "break the chain" or cheat death, and are splattered in imaginative ways. Death will not be denied. The attraction at this point is to see what Rube Goldberg-like machinations the writers can come up with to have the characters meet their fate.

But the biggest highlight of this film is the 3D option. Obviously a lot of care and planning went into the 3D presentation in the creation of scenes for this film. From start to finish, there is plenty of stuff comin' right at ya! Probably the most active 3D I've ever seen with regard to pop-out effects. I was ducking and flinching on a regular basis. For lovers of 3D, and if you don't mind horror/gore, this is a showcase for the format. If you should decide to look for a copy, just be certain you are getting the 3D Blu-Ray. This was also released in the anaglyph red/blue 3D format which, while it may still be fun, the 3D Blu-Ray is definitely the way to go.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy (2010) ****

Excellent four hour documentary that covers the entire NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET series except for the remake. The great thing is that most of the people you'd want to hear from are on hand here with the exception being Johnny Depp and Patricia Arquette. There are some great stories told about all seven films as well as Craven getting to talk about the issues on part three.

Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo (1977) ** 1/2

A plane crashes in a small town and hundreds of poisonous tarantulas escape and begin killing the locals. This was an okay made-for-TV film that has a good idea but the execution just wasn't all that great. The film lacks any major suspense and the way the town goes to handle the situation just seemed a bit too easy. Pat Hingle, Claude Akins and Tom Atkins turn in fine performances.

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) *** 1/2

Took the wife and daughter to see this at the theater since they both love the picture. Damn, was it really 27-years ago when I originally watched this in theaters?

Black Noon (1971) **

Interesting but failed made-for-tv film about a Reverend and his wife who end up in a small mining town where they think the locals are wonderful but there's something dark happening. I liked the idea of a Western with horror elements but the film just didn't have much going for it. The story was dull and the direction was rather lifeless. Even Ray Milland and Henry Silva were wasted in their supporting roles.

The Masque of the Red Death (1964) ***

Vincent Price plays an evil Prince who must face the Red Death. I know many people consider this the best of the Poe/Corman/Price pictures but I wouldn't go that far. It's certainly a great looking film and the performances are right on the mark but I've always felt that the middle portion of the film drags in places. The ending is still quite thrilling.

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My latest batch of films. No all time classics but I had fun.

043 10/20 XX (2017) 2.5/5 Anthology film with women writer directors. This one is typical of anthologies with different directors in that they tend to be a mixed bag. There’s some good ideas and none of them are all out bad. They all feel real small. I think a low budget hurt this one more than anything. It’s a shame since it’s a cool idea.

044 10/20 Hush (2016) 3/5 A deaf and mute author lives out in the woods and a creepy killer shows up. Flanagan does a good job setting this up and Kate Siegel does a great job as the author under attack. There’s not really enough here to hold the whole running time though so it flags in the middle a little bit but Flanagan does land the ending. I’m also not a fan of this kind of attacker in a “real world” movie like this.

045 10/20 Shivers (1975) 2.5/5 Revisited this one and I still don’t love it. There is a lot to like though. A scientist's experiment with parasites as a way to replace dysfunction organs in humans is a hell of an idea and Cronenberg for the most part delivers on the promise as it spreads like an STD through an apartment complex. It starts to feel a bit like a zombie picture, and Cronenberg delivers everything you would want in a genre/drive-in movie. For some reason though, it never really feels engaging which is a shame since the cast - featuring Barbara Steele and Lynn Lowry - do a pretty good job. This may be a case of being more familiar with later Cronenberg films so that seeing this early one feels more like a warm-up to better things than a homerun.

046 10/20 The Tripper (2006) 2.5/5 David Arquette produces and directs this light hearted slasher in which a Ronald Regan masked killer wielding an axe is going after 00s hippies at a music fest. The cast is pretty great, with Thomas Jane as the local sheriff and people like Paul Reubens showing up in bits. The main problem with this is the tone. It never plays it straight enough to feel bananas and I couldn’t tell if they were making fun of Regan-era conservatives or actually cheering them on since they have contempt for the hippies as well. It’s a fun movie, but it ultimately misses the mark.

04710/20 The Ghoul (1933) 2.5/5 Karloff ditched Universal over money and went to England to make this one about an Egyptologist with a heathen streak who has ideas on immortality. Karloff is always great to watch, which is the main problem with this film. Karloff isn’t in it for a huge stretch, instead we get a bunch of people mucking about trying to find a gem. It causes the whole thing to lag which is a shame since the ending is really good.

Reactions: BobO'Link

Suzanne.S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Suzanne
Since being furloughed and then unemployed, I have looked for things to fill my time. I came across an online event that required registration on Eventbrite. That opened a whole new world of webinars and lectures that has been quite a lot of fun. Not all are great, but that's where I found Poe Fest and a few other good movie related talks.

In relation to the Challenge, I found the Halloween Holiday Horror Fest. This is a free festival of independent Halloween themed films available for online viewing. You register through Eventbrite and then are given the link to watch the films. You are also give a link to vote on your favorite. There are 15 films, 14 shorts and a feature. I've gone through all of the shorts and they are quite a variety. Most lean toward horror comedy rather than straight horror, but they've all been a fun watch.

Suzanne.S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Suzanne
And now catching up.

10/17
The final two from the Grotesqueries disc. Mysterious Mose is a really great compilation of clips from spooky themed cartoons.

16. The Ghosts’ High Noon (2008) short
17. Mysterious Mose (2008) short

10/18

18. Scaredy Cat (2020) short – YouTube - I really enjoyed this. Very cute advertising without advertising.

19. Black Friday (1940) Much more a gangster film than a horror film. Karloff is great as the scientist but Lugosi is wasted as the gangster. Stanley Ridges steals the show in his dual role as Professor Kingsley and Red Cannon.

20. A Good Game: Karloff and Lugosi at Universal: Part 4 Black Friday (2019) short - Documentary about the making of the film and the relationship (or lack thereof) between Karloff and Lugosi.

10/19

21. Murders in the Zoo (1933) - So much packed into just over an hour. The opening leaves no doubt about the evilness of the villain. I really enjoyed it and loved the ending.

10/20
From the Halloween Holiday Horror Fest:
22. The Last Bite (2020) short
23. A Nightmare on Chocolate (2019) short
24. Happy Hand extremely short

10/21
More from The Halloween Holiday Horror Fest:
25. Pumpkin Fever short
26. The Pumpkin Patch short
27. Attack of the Killer Scarecrow (2020) short
28. La última Noche extremely short
29. Sweet Tooth (2020) short
30. Night of the Witch (2019) short
31. Slash (2018) short
32. The Early House (2020) short
33. Special Delivery (2019) short
34. Folk Festival short
35. Threshold (2020) short

A wide variety of films, I think the longest of these is 15 minutes. Of the bunch, my favorites were The Early House and Threshold. I also really enjoyed Night of the Witch and Slash.
As I noted in the previous post, there is a feature as well, Bad Candy, which I will probably watch later today.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
First Time Viewings
1603289623344.png
1603289658553.png

29. The Man who Laughs :emoji_star: :emoji_star: :emoji_star:
30. The Last Warning:emoji_star::emoji_star::emoji_star:

Next two films, from Flickr Alley via Universal Studios 4K restoration project from Paul Leni, both of these are silent so be forewarned. And now I'm waiting for them to deliver Waxworks on this side of the pond, and wondering if Leni’s version of Cat in the Canary was part of this extensive restoration project that Universal Studios has been working on But have not been able to find any indication of that being listed anywhere.

The Man Who Laughs
First up one of Universal’s “Super Jewels” and like much in line with Phantom of the Opera or The Hunchback of Notre Dame. This is based on a literary work by Victor Hugo. While not expressly a horror film it has many horror film elements and is probably more widely regarded for its influences. It starts with Gypsies and stolen children where the children are disfigured and mutilated their parents murdered. The expressive use of medieval gothic sets would become the foundation for the future horror franchise the universal would come to dominate.

Actually, the film plays better as a full-on melodrama much like the Hunchback, you see that Gwynplaine Is actually a very kind soul that only suffers from the disfigurement and is misunderstood. The true monsters of this is the royalty or the Royal Court that would subvert is rightful position. Mary Philbin from the Lon Chaney version of Phantom of the Opera appears as Dea the blind girl and the love interest, who sees the real Gwynplaine, this would be her last film. Conrad Veidt gives a star performance in the lead and in the most influential way sets the groundwork for probably one of the most well-known villains in history as the grinning clown that will become known as “The Joker”

The Last Warning
The next film in this group is a bit of an oddity, I can see comparisons to this and James Whale’s Old Dark House. It's basically a murder mystery with some comedy thrown in a haunted Broadway theater. Once again universal finds a way to use the original Paris Opera House from Phantom of the Opera 1925, as an effective background to tell a great story. It moves along at a quick pace with some surprises. The restoration on this film comes from two different prints so it suffers in a few spots but the fact that it is completely presentable is a revelation in itself. I don't want to give away too much because the reveal at the end is actually pretty funny an awesome, who doesn't love a good mystery. After the last three going to step away from the silence for a moment and pull something else from the unwatched list.

next…

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I keep hoping Kino or Flicker Alley will do D.W. Griffith's THE SORROW OF SATAN. Not to mention 1924's DANTE'S INFERNO as well as several other silent horror pictures. Kino is finally starting to release some of their Chaney/Browning titles so hopefully 2021 will see more silent horrors.

Reactions: Suzanne.S

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I keep hoping Kino or Flicker Alley will do D.W. Griffith's THE SORROW OF SATAN. Not to mention 1924's DANTE'S INFERNO as well as several other silent horror pictures. Kino is finally starting to release some of their Chaney/Browning titles so hopefully 2021 will see more silent horrors.
and part of those are inline with Universal Pictures' silent film initiative

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/universal-aims-restore-more-classic-silent-films-1116041

https://www.universalstudioslot.com...ictures has been restoring,by the end of 2019.

i am looking forward to see what else is released

Pete Battista

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
025195046107f.jpg

Title: The Thing

Year:
Director: John Carpenter (1948)
Writer: Bill Lancaster (Screenwriter), John W. Campbell, Jr. (Story By)
Rating: R
Length: 109 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Kurt Russell as MacReady
Wilford Brimley [A. Wilford Brimley] as Blair
T. K. Carter as Nauls
David Clennon as Palmer
Keith David as Childs
Richard Dysart as Dr. Copper

Plot:
Horror-meister John Carpenter (Halloween, Escape from New York) teams Kurt Russell's outstanding performance with incredible visuals to build this chilling version of the classic The Thing. In the winter of 1982, a twelve-man research team at a remote Antarctic research station discovers an alien buried in the snow for over 100,000 years. Once unfrozen, the form-changing alien wreaks havoc, creates terror and becomes one of them.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Picture-in-picture

My Thoughts:
I thought I seen this film many years ago but I was mistaken. I am so glad I watched this one today! It was no less then an amazing film. The story, the cast, the effects... there was nothing I could find to complain about. It even found something to give me, a person that has been a horror fanatic for 40+ year the creeps. That alone I found amazing! But when that head grew spider legs it gave this arachnaphobic the creeps. I found this film to be nothing less then fantastic. A must see!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
:emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U- 4k UHD
B - Blu Ray Viewing
D - DVD Viewing
S - Streaming

Night of the Demon - D - : :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Nightmare Cinema - D -:emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Invisible Man - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
Lighthouse - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Vampires vs The Bronx - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
The Lost Boys - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
The Amityville Horror - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:

Fantasy Island - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Jeepers Creepers 2 - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
The Dead Don't Die - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Mostly Ghostly: Have You Met My Ghoulfriend - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Damned By Dawn - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Christine - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Good Boy - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Resicent Evil: Damnation - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Hocus Pocus - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
It - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
It: Chapter 2 - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Pet Sematary (1989) - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Pet Sematary (2019) - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Tales from the Hood - D - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Tales from the Hood 2 - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Midsommar - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
The Thing ('82) - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:

Total Watched: 29

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yesterday (and no mummy confusion...):

1603302367449.png

Easily the least of the Universal werewolf films. Murders in a London park where the victims have been savagely clawed about the throat cause the police to believe that it's perhaps a she werewolf. Heiress Phyllis Allenby (June Lockhart in an early role) fears she is the criminal, all because of the family legend of the "Allenby Curse." They believed that some members of the family assumed the form of a wolf. It's more melodrama than horror. Lockhart was OK but nothing special in the role.

1603303813681.png

Aka "Prince of the Night" - sounds exciting based on the description: "A professor travels to Venice following the trail of the last known appearance of Nosferatu who was seen at a carnival. He learns through a seance that the vampire is seeking eternal death, and tries to put an end to its existence once and for all."

The thing is, it's not exciting but is a rather mundane, boring, vampire movie. I've read it had a very troubled production with no fewer then *3* directors hired and fired (and paid their full salary to boot), before the producer, who had little directing experience, took over the role. Kinsky did some directing as well. It's also somewhat of a sequel to Werner Herzog's Nosferatu the Vampyre which starred Kinsky in the title role. Let's be honest here... Kinsky just looks too old to be a sexy/seductive vampire. He also refused to cut his hair and undergo the makeup job truly needed to pull off the role properly. The talents of Christopher Plummer and Donald Pleaseance were wasted in this film - and they were the absolute best parts. The rest seemed to serve as an excuse for Kinsky to grope a couple of nude attractive women. From what I've read, Kinsky had far too much control and influence on this one.

1603305273747.png

A not too bad SF/Horror outing. Astronauts on the ISS manage to capture a capsule hurtling by that apparently came from a mars material gathering mission and salvaging the mission. They start analyzing the samples to find life in one! It's a single cell creature but there are lots of them that begin to "cling" together making a larger creature that eventually gets out of hand and escapes, endangering the entire ship. They can't let it get to Earth, but can they manage to contain it?

A blurb on the box says "An Ending You Will Never See Coming." OK... must be an incredibly dense reviewer who's never seen any SF/Horror film in their life. Anyone who's seen these types of movies before *can* or *should* see it coming well before it arrives. In spite of that I thought it was well crafted, although the one scenario which could have saved the day was never an option for some reason. Oh... right... if they'd set up for that possiblility there'd have been no movie. Predictable? For the most part, yes. It hits all the notes. It was still enjoyable and for a change didn't happen in deep space but in an environment much closer to home.

1603305750265.png

An absolute guilty pleasure. Full of double-entendres (of course, it stars Elvira) and just plain goofy, off the wall, humor it's a blast from first frame to the last. It makes me want to break out some of my Elvira's Movie Macabre discs for viewings.

1603305948847.png

A pretty decent entry into Universal's vampire line up. You *do* wonder just how a vampire sires an offspring though... Mysterious events occurring when Countess Marya Zaleska appears in London leads Dr. Von Helsing to believe the Countess must be a vampire. Of course she is, you silly man! She's also quite attractive and seductive. She wants to be cured and a psychiatrist claims he can help do just that. However, she's promised her man-servant she'll make him live forever. Just which will happen?

I was quite skeptical the first time I watched Dracula's Daughter and was quite surprised to find a fairly well done movie. It doesn't suffer from the cheesiness of later Universal horror sequels. Much like Bride of Frankenstein, it was also made almost 5 years *after* Dracula was released as Universal was pretty clueless at that time about how much money a string of sequels could bring in. They learned... only too well...

Last edited:

Pete Battista

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
085392208326f.jpg

Title: Thir13en Ghosts

Year:
Director: Steve Beck
Writer: Robb White (Story By), Neal Marshall Stevens (Screenwriter), Richard D'Ovidio (Screenwriter)
Rating: Rated R : Horror Violence/Gore, Nudity and Language
Length: 91 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Tony Shalhoub as Arthur
Embeth Davidtz as Kalina
Matthew Lillard as Rafkin
Shannon Elizabeth as Kathy
Alec Roberts as Bobby
JR Bourne as Ben Moss

Plot:
What a house! It's all steel and glass and elegance – and it all belongs to Arthur Kriticos and his family as an unexpected inheritance. You could say it's their dream home. Especially if the dreams are nightmares.

Awesome ectoplasmic specters populate THIRTEEN GHOSTS, an effects-rampant remake of the 1960 William Castle haunted-house film from producers Gilbert Adler, Joel Silver and Robert Zemeckis, who conjured up the equally terrorific HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (1999). Tony Shalhoub as Arthur leads a cast that includes Embeth Davidtz, Matthew Lillard, Shannon Elizabeth, Rah Digga and F. Murray Abraham. The house itself is a design marvel and a mysterious puzzle-cube whose eerie corridors, sliding walls, spinning floors and phantasmic fiends may allow no escape.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes
Interactive Games
Music Videos
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I really enjoy this one. I like the assortment of ghosts and it has it's share of gore as well.The "glass house" was amazing as well. This is a remake of the 60s film by the same name... though it is so much different from the original... which is another plus.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
:emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:

U- 4k UHD
B - Blu Ray Viewing
D - DVD Viewing
S - Streaming

The Thing ('82) - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Thirteen Ghosts - D - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:

Total Watched: 30

Reactions: Malcolm R

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerani53