***Official 21st Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2020***

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was going to do something to my post above... but don't see an edit button. Are edits turned off for now?
I think you need to PM a moderator. They would need to set it up. I believe the forum default is to only allow a certain time period to edit posts, but they can grant special permission for threads like this.

Reactions: Pete Battista

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I saw The Lighthouse included on a list of great recent horror movies. I wasn't under the impressions it was actually horror, but I have no idea what it's about. Is it fitting for the challenge? If so, it can be one of my new viewings. FWIW, I tend to adopt a fairly loose definition of horror. Any kind of psychological terror qualifies for me. For example, No Country For Old Men qualifies, since it really is rather terrifying at times.

Reactions: Neil Middlemiss

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I saw The Lighthouse included on a list of great recent horror movies. I wasn't under the impressions it was actually horror, but I have no idea what it's about. Is it fitting for the challenge? If so, it can be one of my new viewings. FWIW, I tend to adopt a fairly loose definition of horror. Any kind of psychological terror qualifies for me. For example, No Country For Old Men qualifies, since it really is rather terrifying at times.
I would count it, Lighthouse turns into a real nightmare. THE WITCH by the same director is really good too.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would count it, Lighthouse turns into a real nightmare. THE WITCH by the same director is really good too.
Thanks. I've seen The Witch, which I have on disc. I've also been saving US as a new viewing. Was also planning on Midsommar for a first watch. I bought the 4K stream a while back, but haven't delved into it yet. That's three solid new viewings.

Pete Battista

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
New viewings planned for mine...
  • Escape Room
  • 3 From Hell
  • Fantasy Island
  • The Invisible Man
  • Midsommar
And I am sure many others... but those are the big names I am looking forward to.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
A few of the new-to-me films that are on my list this year:

The Woman
The Dead Center
Crawl
Lost Highway (may or may not qualify)
The Mystery of the Wax Museum
The Nun
Pet Sematary (2019)
Vampyres
The World's End
Zombieland: Double Tap

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Just watched The Nun recently (second time). I love everything from The Conjuring Universe, except perhaps the first Annabelle film. That series of films can give me the heebie-jeebies like no others, even when watching multiple times. Can't wait to see Conjuring 3 when we start getting films released again, and wish they'd get on the ball with The Crooked Man film (though I can kind of see why they might be having trouble coming up with a premise/plot). James Wan also has a new horror film in the can (Malignant), but I'm not sure when that will be released (was supposed to be last month).

I almost watched Pet Sematary (2019) last week, but decided to save it for October. Not sure what else I'll get into, I have such a backlog. I did just pick up the first two Hellraiser films on blu-ray from Arrow, so I'll probably revisit those. Also still have a number of films from the Vincent Price collections to watch. Also a random selection of titles that I've had in my mind to watch, but haven't got to yet, like Trick, Bone Tomahawk, The First Purge.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I would certainly call The Lighthouse a horror film and it is one of the rare ones that also features some excellent acting. Dafoe is wonderful in it and gives just a tremendous performance. It's about claustrophobia and cabin fever in many ways which sort of makes it a perfect picture for our times and being shut-in during a pandemic.

There are some laughs in it too (Dafoe going off about his cooking skills is classic). I loved it when I saw it in a theater with two friends. One of the guys I watched it with has never stopped talking about it calling it "Just flat out great filmmaking!" the other guy I don't think ever wants to see the picture again he disliked it so much. Not into art house horror was he.

Anyway, if you watch this and don't go around shouting at people after "You're fond of me lobster!" then I don't know what to say.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Bone Tomahawk was disturbing enough for me that I'll never, ever watch it again, and I'm really not that squeamish. Looking forward to The Nun and Pet Sematary.
I had no idea Bone Tomahawk was so twisted. I'm in. I'll give it a try for October. Double feature with Ravenous? :P

• Haha
Reactions: dpippel

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I had no idea Bone Tomahawk was so twisted. I'm in. I'll give it a try for October. Double feature with Ravenous? :P
I watched Bone Tomahawk on a previous challenge with my 79 year old mom. "A Kurt Russell Western, mom will like this one." Boy, did I hear about it after... :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: dpippel

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think I actually have a pretty decent list of movies for first viewings...

US
The Lighthouse
Midsommar
Bone Tomahawk
3 From Hell
(not expecting much from this. FYI, I liked Lords of Salem)
The House That Jack Built
Dead Center
(blind $3 streaming buy)
Maybe give Gretel & Hansel a try? You know, after drinking a big pot of coffee. Is it part of any streaming services?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ketoburni