1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

***Official 20th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2019***

Discussion in 'Movies' started by John Stell, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    same here. :( my beloved dog Bear died about 12 years ago during October. This one is second after in awfulness but still close. Glad I could find time to escape into the fake horrors. The Universal Monsters 30 movie set I just got was a very big help too. ty amazon for putting that on sale! Wish I could have watched all those.

2. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    148 total with 37 repeat viewings.

I typically average around 80-90 a month but cutting out sports, Sportscenter and sleeping helps add to the average.

Best new viewings:

Memory: The Origin of Alien
    One On Top of the Other
    When a Stranger Calls Back
    The Redeemer: Son of Satan!
    Private Parts
    The Day After / Threads
    Trick
    Raptor
    Frankenstein and Me

The worst new viewing was easily Extraterrestrial Visitors (1983).

3. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I'm reallly sorry to hear about your loss, James. Losing a dog is SO hard. Peace to you, and to Bear.

dana martin and Tony Bensley like this.
  4. Message #464 of 488 Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Tuesday, October 1st
    1. Dunwich Horror. 1970
    2. The Doctor & the Devils. 1985 (NEW)

Dunwich is that 1960s colored gel lighting thing like old Trek and other Cormans. Easy on the eyes. I started my October Horrors with it for some years after getting the DVD way back when. I remember why now. It's not too scary or exciting but feels good to watch for starters. Dean Stockwell does some expert creepy man and doesn't even look like he is trying to do it except sometimes widening his eyes a bit. I could not stop widening my eyes every time he did... EVIL!! lol And then the movie calls for a virgin...so look at her she is the actual Sandra Dee! I wish there was more of the nasty orgy that looks like the lusty Yahoos from Gulliver's Travels.

Next, I was asking myself how I missed this damn Doctor & the Devils movie when it came out? I'm one of the ones they made this for and I missed it?!! Maybe it was on a channel we never had..? We had HBO. But I didn't rent it somehow? The art for it is terrific but maybe that put me off. Wall to wall British greatness: Jonathan Pryce before Brazil, cute Twiggy acting her little heart out, Timothy Dalton as the Doctor from the title and even the lady from one of my favorite movies of all time Yellowbeard. She was Lady Lambourn "Laamboooourn! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge! It's imported!!" Another name on the credits they actually had to sorta kinda hide so people wouldn't think it was a comedy was Mel Brooks and his production company. They produced this like they did The Elephant Man. It's very Charles Dickens. Good looking movie. And it is actually very tense in many places. Pryce became a favorite because of Brazil I would have loved to see him in this in the 80s. I got this blu ray from Hamiltonbook for about $3 before tax/shipping. It looks and sounds okay with just 2.0 stereo. So happy to own this.

TV:
    1a. Dark Shadows. 703.
    Quinton shows Barnabas his own big "tooth" and after that Barnabas appears during the credits! oopsie oops!

Wednesday, October 2nd
    4. The Collection. 2012
    As creepy/kooky as masked wrestlers are (except for the hero of the world El Santo!) The Collector is on a whole new level with his head gear. I just think he's po'd cause his black grappler mask got ruined in the dryer. I hate it when my shirt sleeves get all twisted up!! Ironing sucks and I won't do it and neither does The Collector!! Anyway, me and him should follow the washing instructions labels inside they is there for a reason! In this followup to The Collector, which I watched the weekend before and my butt is still hanging off the edge, we see exactly what this mysterious and demented fella is up to with all this sudden collecting. And it's a mess! A good mess! Familiar for sure, but superior to so much that's been done before. Especially the first one which has a twist at the end of the first act that I really like. Warnings though, this series isn't nice to animals. I know the first credits stunt dogs and stunt cats. I keep up with that. I think F13th series is best for pet lovers.

TV:
    4b. Dark Shadows. 704 (NEW)
    No grandma gifts at Christmas for Quinton this year. And Barnabas brushes the dust off his fangs.

Thursday, October 3rd
    4.The Reef. 2010
    Even the oceans around Australia are just pure evil. Just saying what everybody else won't! A group of down under people (including a timid fisherman who should change his line of work and maybe move somewhere else like lovely Florida or somewhere inland away from water) take a trip on the ocean to deliver a large safe looking luxury yacht that is even towing a comfortable looking motorized dingy that would rescue a large group of people should they get stranded in the ocean because of, I don't know...REEFS!!!, and have ride back to the mainland for safely but damnit this is Australia we're talking about so forget the damn dingy even exists!! Reefs are a bitch but why don't we ride over some for fun and do a little snorkeling? This is all the set up to what becomes a very tense fishy movie. I joke but at the same time recommend this one for fans of waterlogged victim movies. It's not award winning but it does have me yelling at the characters which is fun. I even had an idea that might have made the movie much shorter but of course I was not there to suggest it. damn that..
    5. Maggie. 2015 (NEW)
    Slow moving infection story covering the human side of an outbreak. I got a Earth bound moments from Interstellar feeling. I guess it's the farm land it's set in with Arny Swartznegger pretty good as a dad wanting to keep things normal for his family and friends but knowing it's probably not going to end well. Mostly subtle and quiet, not for splatter fans. I liked.

TV:
    1c. Dark Shadows. 705. (NEW)
    Grandma's secret is not her Cauliflower Casserole. Unless the Casserole rises out of a coffin!

Extra: Dark Shadows Interview and that bastard Quinton spoilers what's upcoming! dang him! But nice fella who plays the character. I think he had a great time doing the show.

Friday, October 4th
    6. Deathproof 2007 (NEW)
    7. Planet Terror 2007
    Accidentally watched these out of order. Oops! Worked fine though. I've seen Planet Terror a couple of times and can't help but like the splattering mess. Have avoided Deathproof up until now since reviews threw me off of it and I kinda forgot to give it a try. For DP it's like a pretty good movie being spoiled by a bunch of chatty girlfriends. Did guys blow up in the theater when this came out because they took their chatty girlfriend to this movie about chatty girlfriends because they thought it was a movie about a serial killer and would keep their chatty girlfriend quiet but instead all the chattiness set her off even worse like a great big chatty marathon? What the hell QT! Small talking us to death! man! I was actually worried this wasn't going to be a horror movie at all. Luckily there's some and a final act to save the day kinda. Russell is all in it and often cool and hilarious at the same time. Glad he was there. I was thinking you could replace him with Dennis Quaid or Nicholas Cage or another over the top guy I thought of during but now can't remember but would have been perfect and it would be just as good.
    8. Halloween 2 1981
    Halloween and Halloween 2 are like Rocky and Rocky 2. I love em all! and so glad they did direct continuation stories for these. Not much to say. Always love these first 2. Just wonderful. The location tour on the disc is better than you'd think. The host knows his horrors.

Saturday, October 5th
    9. Next of Kin. 1982 (NEW)
    So this really wasn't a Patrick Swayze movie at all and I missed his cameo somehow!! heh heh, no this is different kins. There's a scene with ladies hanging sheets to dry and then a spider appears on one of the sheets... an Aussie spider, not a regular one, but a small monster that probably has friends coming over to the sheet for all sorts of spider activities and should be run from and maybe even move to another area of the world if you see a spider like this but here one of the ladies calmly flicks it off the sheet so it can go on it's merry spider way and I'm "F U Australia! F U " (say all this in John Oliver voice!!) And I'm sorry Oz but your critters and your acceptance of such critters is unacceptable to the rest of the damn world! there! I said what others didn't wanna say!! so nan nan nan NAN! This one put me in mind of another movie filmed on the island call Picnic at Hanging Rock just because it's a mundane nursing home here and a girls school there, and unnerving stuff starts to happen among the seemingly boring exterior but slow builds to something beyond. Next of Kin is not even in the same league as Picnic though but still pretty okay. I guessed most of the red herrings and part of the ending. But it's not bad.
    10. Sector 7 3D 2011 (NEW)
    I'd read great things about the 3D but this is just okay overall. Best 3D in the face moment was when dust/debris came all the way out of the screen and threatened the need for artificial tears drops. It's Korean so there's subtitles or a yucky dub, has a very bumpy/pointy looking monster, takes place on an oil platform, there are motorcycles they ride sometimes...which was pretty cool in 3D. Most of the cast is actually likeable enough. But it made me think of all those great Corman flicks like Galaxy of Terror, and also The Meg 3D. In fact I pulled Meg out of storage to maybe watch again soon. So much better than this one.
    11. The Sailor Who Fell From Grace...(breath breath breath)... With The Sea!! 1976
    Finally broke down and got a used DVD to replace an old VHS I couldn't find anyway. I will be glad when they one day Blu ray this and I'm glad they haven't put it out on blu ray until they are sure they had a good source to use and fully restore it in all it's beauty and splendor since anything less would PO all the fans. (Please don't argue) It's been way too long for me and this. Everything I felt about it came rushing back, another very very nice slow build to one helluva punch that I remember totally freaking me out before. A worthy remake, maybe in it's native form, could be spectacular. Do they even make movies like this anymore? For this version I felt an almost total revamp of the cast would improve things. Mother and son could remain as well as all the kids except Chief, who isn't played by a very strong actor and really needed to be. (Imagine somebody like a young Keiffer Sutherland or Ed Norton in that role) Also, Kristopherson, who looks the part, but plays it like he's hoped up on Nyquil the whole time. I wonder if he was sick throughout considering the cold location and gusty cold air seaside. Poor guy. I guess that enhances that ending a bit. lol But still, nostalgia tells me nothing should be ever changed on this version of it except a big shout to some company known for doing some grand blu rays of all movies like this. A big SHOUT OUT to come OTHER company who does this...!

TV:
    2. Night Gallery. Season 2 Episode 16.
    Three very nice stories including another seaside, one of my favorite settings for horrors. Stuart Whitman look the part as an old bitter sailor who suddenly nets the one in every sailor's dreams! Then there's pre-MASH Harry Morgan, superb as a Funeral Home guy who discusses arrangements with a perfect Kim Hunter taking a break from the fur makeup. Then there's beautiful Sondra Locke doing a perfect Brit accent while telling some old guy to bloody buzz off! And then you gladly watch the whole thing again with commentary from a couple of Professors of Night Gallery. Lots of great facts about Locke who sadly died last year. Great time.
    3. Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Season 1 episode 11. "The Guilty Witness"
    so wonderful is this nosy neighbor story that I remembered at the beginning I'd already watched some months back and was on the next one. Kept telling myself to advance to the next but could not do that. GREAT story that's just as great again. Superb cast, especially grocery store owner who is darn perfect.

Finally caught up. Real life has been a bummer. Glad for all the fun horrors.

Sunday, October 6th
    12. Halloween 3. 1982
    Everybody loved the mask so much they gave us 3 new ones! Woo hoo! What a kooky movie. I remember the trailer for this gave me reason for concern back in the day. That's funny now. Atkins with Nelkin are a source of jealousy! Some old man and this young thang. Nelkin is in Yellowbeard also, love that one. The mind wonders what a series of these different movies could have been, like expanded Creepshow, Trick R Treat Stories? Nice location tour on this one too, complete with the director and the guy from Elm Street 2 (one I quite like more than most I think, was probably the first one I saw in complete form from that series). I forgot to watch the tour for the original. I'll have to throw it in soon.

13. Brightburn. 2019 (NEW)
    A Bladerunner kinda test with killing jars and so fourth right away and you could just send it back and wait for another. Everything is normal at first and then the secrets start to come out and it gets sort of tense in places then all hell breaks loose. It's like if Santa Claus showed up every year and took all your best toys like a red suited bastard. I hope that's not a spoiler. hee hee

14. The Innkeepers. 2011
    Sara Paxton is such a charmer. My younger self would be having heart pitty pats. My older self sees her like my own niece or like a daughter. She and Healy play the bored desk clerks at a ghostless haunted hotel so well they are the best thing about it. Kelly McGillis is big surprise as well as a rare guest. Classic slow build with a shocking ending that came out of nowhere for me first time. One of the features has Paxton demonstrating how dog friendly the set was. Can I like this movie more?

TV:
    4a. Dark Shadows. 706 (NEW) and here's Carl Collins. as funny as a wet willie.
    4b. Dark Shadows. 707 (NEW) time to mourn for a few minute then fight like a bag of rabid cats over the old lady's money

(more coming)

Jeff Flugel and Malcolm R like this.
  5. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    thank you. I think about her every year at this time.

6. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Monday, October 7th
    15. Alien 3. 1992
    This is the director's cut. Really love this one. And I can't believe it was 1992 when I saw this in the theater and was a little disappointed. It was the slow pace after Aliens ended with a tremendous bang. But this DC is real damn good with what I think is quite a few shuffled scenes, etc. It feels like it anyway. So grimm too. Doesn't pull punches at all. Number 3 does not copy the others. This is really among the greatest trilogies ever. I'm a fan of the rest but it's these first 3 that I look most forward to seeing. I'd like the 4K of these. I watched the first 2 in September, Alien I accidentally watched the DC with it's interesting but useless extra scenes, but watched Aliens theatrical which I greatly prefer. The person who said to put the trailers on one of the extras discs deserves a few moments with a facehugger in the room. I kept putting in the wrong damn disc. I think it was the second. I like watching trailers right after the movie with out getting up to change a disc. That simple.

16. Green Room. 2015 (NEW)
    I didn't know a thing about this except that Patrick Stewart is in it. He's nothing like Picard. Turns out the late actor who played the newer Chekov so well is here and equally good. Terrific cast of people I've never seen that I know of. The story unfolded from moment to moment and I was pretty hooked. When I saw what was going on the hooks were pretty much in.

Tuesday, October 8th
    17. Boogeyman. 1980
    Saw part of this so many years ago and it gave me the willies. yeah. laugh. go ahead. finally picked up the blu ray and have to say that this did not age well at all. So many from this time have been so much fun like Humongous, Happy Birthday to Me and of course the classics like Halloween and F13 but this is not one of those. Very poor. I got the 88 Films version and they call it Bogeyman. No Bogey. No Bacall. No boogie woogie. It sucks.
    18. Scary Movie. 2000
    This is pretty hysterical. The guy who does everything but come out of the closet is an absolute hoot. "yes Brandon yes Brandon!" "Who?" lol Doofey!! I think it's almost as good as Scream. I remember the 2nd having a big drop. We'll see... but this is great.
    19. Cat Sick Blues. 2015 (NEW)
    Made me feel like I did with Deranged. Twisted killer, looking into his weird daily activities and what the hell will he do next feeling all the way through. I also got a strange Kids in the Hall vibe. They did a skit that was similar to this about a guy who is obsessed with a mouse in his house. Now this story is pretty different from that but still.... This is sick. There are cats. And people have the blues. Lots of red too.

Wednesday, October 9th
    20. 10 Cloverfield Lane. 2016
    John Goodman plays these characters all the time. The big lovable guy who will make sure you're alright when the chips are down. But... this character is actually way more complex than his normal. So much mystery. Imagine if they just done Cloverfield 2. That could be more of the same but still edge of the seat. This is not the same and edge of the seat.
    21. Suspiria. 2018. (NEW)
    Fan of the classic, and I found this a superb remake/reboot. Totally knocked me out. Looked so stunning throughout with some really crazy disturbing stuff. I borrowed this disc but will buy my own 4K in the future because I see me watching this all the time. It's been a long time since I've seen the original and I really want to see it again soon. But I truly loved this new version.

Thursday, October 10th
    22. Dead End. 2003
    Regular viewing of this incredibly fun Twilight Zoner with some ability to make you laugh when maybe you shouldn't..well go ahead...NOT! STOP LAUGHING IT'S WRONG!!! yes, laugh... The whole cast is perfect. The mom and dad actors (the wonderful Ray Wise and Lynn Shaye) really REALLY understand this kind of sick humor and never have a wasted moment. Several bits would really disturb those who don't get it. Sure wish they'd do a blu ray. This DVD is full screen crap with no extras.
    23. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers. 1988
    Pretty okay sequel getting the series back on track with The Shape. One thing I'd change is play the opening scenes without the giant text. The scenes of Halloween and October look so great is sells it well.

Friday, October 11th
    24. Nothing But Trouble. 1991
    Another regular watch and I'm one of the audience for these kinds of silly comedies that are crazy and unique. I'd buy a 4K if there was one. hee hee The only problem is I had to get ready for work about 20 minutes near the end but was able to watch through half the end credits. I actually rewatched Saturday Morning at the point 20 minutes before the end. Sure am glad I did. Dan Akyryd's bro wrote this crap and plays the doorman. John Candy is an absolute stand out. I don't like what happens to his character at the end though. Gotta wonder if that was studio meddling.

Saturday, October 12th
    25. The House Where Evil Dwells. 1982 (NEW?)
    One of the new one's I got this year in that Scream Factory set. I thought this was a movie my childhood friend showed me in the 80s but I just can't tell. It's mostly just an okay ghost story that has been done way better by the classics but there is one scene I won't ruin that has willies to spare. Really like that scene and the whole movie could have been like that.
    26. Creature/The Titan Find. 1984
    Another new one. Upgraded my old DVD of a VHS they tried to fool us with years ago and got this no extras but pretty good widescreen DVD. The wider view actually improves this so much. It reminds me when I was actually scared by it. lol The effects are actually pretty darn good and this new transfer shows that. Bad movies can just be such groaners but this is an absolute blast and absoutely one of the run ones like Galaxy of Terror a few years before. Would love a blu ray of this and still need to get the Galaxy of Terror one. Some Alien rippoffs are just hard to beat! Fun in their own way and remind you have much you love the real thing.
    27. Happy Death Day 2U. 2019 (NEW)
    One I was looking forward to seeing. They threw in a big of Big Band Theory and I'm okay with that. Jessica Rothe is still a comic gem. That scene with her in the bikini made me pause it for a very long laugh. Sure hope they do a trilogy (with Rothe at least). This idea is pretty neat.

28. TAG: The Assassination Game. 1982
    Another favorite. One of many unique ones I get to over the next days. Wonderful slasher-like film I caught when my family first got cable TV in the 1980s. Fell in love with Linda Hamilton even before I actually knew what Film Noir was. Have always liked her and Carradine together and pictured myself having relationships like that when I finally figure women out. haha! Like Happy Birthday to Me, this is set at an institute of higher education and reminds me of all the hope I had in my youth and how amazing it was when I got to college. A blu ray is long past due. Shout Factory please... somebody. You'll sell at least 1.

Sunday, October 13th
    29. Hysterical. 1982
    Meant to watch this on Saturday since it sure is a perfect one (along with MST3K episodes too) but felt groggy and tired much of Saturday and didn't want to waste it. I had a fine time anyway on Saturday though. Way too much lately I wish I could watch 3 more than I can. I miss the old days of 6+ movies. Anyway, this is my own VHS to DVD transfer I did years back when I transferred my family's VHS home movies to DVD. It's watchable. Wish the DVD wasn't oop. Maybe a bluray will come. Favorite part is the Exorcist parody. "Your pants are down!" lol Big fan of the Hudson Brothers as a kid, this is perfect fodder for them. Very fun cast. Maybe the Zombie Musical is the weakest, I think that needed more work.
    39. I Was a Teenage Werewolf. MST3K 1957
    I can never remember if this is one of the great ones and it is. The movie is actually pretty good but the guys enhance it with almost nonstop laughs. The first of 4 I want to get to for this years.
    40. Joyride. 2001
    Upgraded a DVD that was fine to this new blu. This is definitely sharper and worth it. A regular watch. Love this movie. Always look forward to seeing it. I have a thing for road movies anyway so why not throw in a 18-wheeled monster with a voice that scares the piss out of you. Caaaaaaandycane... The sequels lacked that voice and just didn't impress. The first sequel I remember thinking was okay except for the new voice. I was practicing doing that voice and have a plan to one day remix that first sequel with a few scenes redone with me trying that voice. I've never recorded it so it might actually suck worse. lol Anyone who hasn't seen this should go right out and get it. I got this from Big Lots for $3, well $2.25 during a sale they had. Beautiful!!
    41. The Curse of La Llorona 2019 (NEW)
    This was a let down. I screwed up again with this series and watched this out of order. I'd watched The Conjuring movies together accidentally. This one is by the numbers and had nothing new to offer. I think I'll give this whole series chance to rest a few years. I still haven't watched The Nun. I just don't crave it like I used to.

Monday, October 14th
    42. Alien Resurrection. 1997
    I usually like this pretty much. But it felt a little off in this extended version. I think I'll watch the theatrical next time. Alien will always be mostly about the trilogy, it's just far above everything that came later.

Tuesday, October 15th
    43. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers. 1989
    My least favorite of the whole series. It's like a sequel that kills a series. But I don't dislike it.

44. Scout's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse. 2015
    Was feeling like this years movie watching was tanking because of Cure of Lala whatever. But hey, this cool little zombie movie helped out a lot. Really wanted to watch about 3 more but could not. The next days viewings were huge cravings one after the other.

Wednesday, October 16th
    45. Don't Look in the Basement. 1973
    46. The Last House on the Left. 1972
    I watched my old St. Claire super lame DVD of Don't Look I fished out of Walmart's bargain bin waaay back when it was $5.50. It has 9 movies on it. I bought 3 of those sets way back when and found so many gems it was worth it for those alone bad transfers and all. I definitely need one of the blu rays of Don't Look. The characters are so well done. Good old Sam. The nymphomaniac seems realistic. When you're young you joke with your friends about having you own! hee hee hee so you're wanting a crazy woman who craves love so bad she'll kill you then still interact with your dead body? lol while watching that one I absolutely had to watch the classic shocker Last House. I usually get completely tense with this but this is the first time I was able to just relax and appreciate what they did here. I also got a graving for the remake which I am going to try to watch along with the original of Suspiria.

Thursday, October 17th
    47. Halloween 6: The Revenge of Michael Myers. 1995
    48. Devil's Rejects. 2005
    Maybe a bit of what a Halloween III sequel could be like? I like how different it is than the previous. Always look forwrad to it. Next, wanted to go with Devil's since I'd planned to watch 31 and 3 From Hell before I was done this year. Didn't get to those.

7. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Friday, October 18th
    49. Hereditary. 2018
    50. The Night of the Comet. 1984
    Hereditary is definitely an all time favorite now. Horrors like this are rare. The Exorcist comparisons are earned. Threw in a wonderful zombie movie I still remember when I saw it for the first time in the 80s. I remember taking my Tasco Telescope outside after the movie and seeing Venus for the first time. A yellowish dot with a visual shadow/dark side. I still need upgrade this DVD. Would love to see this looking better.

Saturday, October 19th
    51. Giant Spider Invasion. MST3K. 1975
    52. Identity. 2003
    53. Midsommar. 2019
    54. Severance. 2006
    Thriller: "An Echo of Theresa" TV movie
    Great day. Fantastic big giant toy spider on a parade float movie with lots of TV people, Skipper & Della. LOVE the young funny lady in the panties being chased around by the fake creepy crawlies. I'd write her a check for a personal show while I make breakfast some Saturday morning. Next, Identity. I remember this being so great and was right. John Cusack's best I think. Highly recommended. Midommar was beautiful to look at. The story is a little familiar, just like one of my favorite movies of all time, but throws in enough to make it an okay watch on it's own I think. I was a little disappointed it wasn't a little more different. Finally an all time favorite comedy called Severance. I think this is a little underrated, a gem really. A bunch of big corp employees go off into the woods for a team building retreat. Everything goes fine. Nope! lol Comedy, horror, gore... Had to replace my dvd last year since it just died out of the blue. The episode of Thriller sounded like a ghost story so took a chance. oops! It's a simple mystery. so-so

Sunday, October 20th
    55. Unfriended Dark Web. 2019 (NEW)
    56. Hansel & Gretel. 2007
    57. Found. 2014
    58. Return of the Living Dead II. 1988
    Unfriended was a favorite last year but Dark Web is okay. This one tries to expand into the wrong area if you ask me. What worked before was all the surreal mystery. They kind of blew it. This Korean Hansel & Gretel is a favorite and has lost nothing. Looks wonderful, like the kid who wishes in the TZ movie (and TV series of course). They really made this a surreal fantasy horror looker. Highly recommended for fans of creepy fairy tales and classic ghosty movies. In September I watched the musical Hansel & Gretel from the 80s with a perfect David Wariner (inperfect singer though hee hee) as the hardworking dad & a delicious Gloris Leachman as the witch with the treats and child size cage. It's closer to the original story. Reminds me of some of my favorite MST3Ks that use movies from this same studio. Found is low budget but very powerful, especially the ending which left me disturbed. It's narrated by a boy who thinks there is something up with his older bro. The actor who plays the older brother is very good here. Has several funky "movies within the movie" that are also available as extras to watch by themselves. The one called Headless was recently made into a full length. I need to get a copy of it to watch sometime. Finally, Return II. Sure loved this when I first saw it. It's really just okay.

Monday, October 21th
    59. Paranormal Activity 4. 2012
    60. Halloween H20. 1998
    Had planned to watch the whole PA series but this would be it. I need to go with the theatrical version next time. Seemed overly long, something I don't remember feeling before. Halloween H20 is a fav. Jamie Leigh and Josh Hartnett do some excellent mom/son dramatics. Well acted from the cast, great location at a educational institution with lots of shadows and places for Myers to hide. Some nice humor from LL Cool J who's so good in Deep Blue Sea.

Tuesday, October 22nd
    61. Get Out. 2017
    Had planned a double with US but it didn't work out. Get Out is not a bad choice for a single movie day. The reveal is a very unique idea. Excellent acting from the 2 leads, black guy and his white girlfriend going to visit her white folks. Once you know what's going on it's easy to appreciate the behavior of some of the other characters. I think they could have gone even more beyond what was done in that area but it's pretty dark good.

Wednesday, October 23rd
    62. Us. 2019 (NEW)
    Was looking forward to this. Another unique idea but it feels rushed out to take advantage Get Out. A whole big "what might have been" feel throughout. Needed more time to cross over into classic territory. Seriously close though. Some great lines like "there's a family in our driveway" and others. I like the actors who play the mom and dad. Although I think the dad should have upped the cowardice a few notches up. He's a big guy and that would be funny. I think the deal with the "family in the driveway" is revealed too quickly and it's mainly action at that point. Somebody will remake this idea one day.

Thursday, October 24th
    63. The Shallows. 2016
    64. Innocent Blood. 1992
    Only 2 but one of my fav days. The Shallows is a helluva thing to look at with the scenery and oogle worthy lady surfer and of course the outstanding visual effects. Extremely suspenseful and exciting from beginning to end. Finally, haven't seen Innocent Blood in so long so it was just wonderful all over again. Truly love this and need a blu ray instead of this dumb barebones dvd.

Friday, October 25th
    65. Halloween Resurrection. 2002
    66. Thoroughbreds. 2017 (NEW)
    Halloween sequel squashed with a kooky internet reality show idea. I'd be so open to watching something like this. The opening scenes are fantastic and do a great job of carrying to old style into this new territory. Really like Busta Rhymes. His animated face would have worked well for the clown in IT. I was thinking how cool it would be to meet that guy. I'll bet he's like this all the time. funny as hell. (oh, oops... just wiki'd him. hahahahah! taking back some of that....) Thoroughbreds is about a couple of young women from different backgrounds who clash at first but then start to connect in a way that makes you wish they just argued first day and then went their separate ways. Seriously good unfolding story here. One of Star Trek actor Anton Yelchin's last movies. I've been very impressed with his work outside of ST. This and Green Room should make the kid's family proud. He was a very good actor and had a bright future. Scary what a chance moment and do.

Saturday, October 26th
    67. MST3K: PARTS: The Clonus Horror. 1979
    68. Daughter of Dracula. 1936
    69. Bad Seed. 1956
    70. Son of Frankenstein. 1939
    This turned out to be my favorite day of the whole thing this year since my 30 film Universal Monsters movie set arrived this day. To start, an absolute fav MST3K with a b-movie that is genuinely unnerving in places. There's a directors interview on the disc where he slams a certain similar movie that came out some years after his. Just read there was a seven figure settlement. Wow! he made out! The host segments are really funny. I quote the Mike & the bots kid show parody all the time for some reason. "Now we know A & 3! Now we know A & 3. hahahaHA hahahaHA!" Daughter of Drac is a nice slow builder with some excellent visuals and costumes that look so good in HD. If I remember right this is the one with a scene in a train with gloomy scenery going passed the windows. I was thinking I'd like to be able to have that going passed my window at home somehow to feel like I was on a train like this. It would be like scenes from other movies that have windows or holographic thingies going on, Fahrenheit 451, Ice Pirates, many others. Next, a blu ray upgrade of Bad Seen only it isn't. Looks so-so. But the movie is absolutely wonderful so this is the best we have now. People complain about the ending but I love the whole thing from start to finish. The cast could not be more perfect. That old lady upstairs is so sweet and wonderful I just get nervous about her. lol Finally The Son of Frankenstein just made we wish I could keep going. Karloff is fine but it's Lugosi who steals the show as Ygor the unfortunate lab helper. He does the neck injury beautifully, I believe it! I could almost feel those bones moving around in his neck. Loved him in this. Really loving this set of movies in HD. I don't guess I need to worry about the Creature 3D movie being a bad disc since I just bought this? I guess they've fixed that by now. Not sure what to look for. I'll have to research it.

Sunday, October 27th
    71. Halloween. 2007
    TV:
    4c. Dark Shadows. 708 (NEW)
    Had planned to watch both the Halloween reboot and the sequel then the recent one but sadly stopped here. Love the grim brutality of this. The origin stuff needed some serious reworking. Oh what this could have been! But I sure like it anyway. I knew Zombie would bring it and he did. Finished with a DS instead of the sequel. :(

Monday, October 28th
    TV:
    5a. Dark Shadows. 709 (NEW)
    5b. Dark Shadows. 710 (NEW)
    5c. Dark Shadows. 711 (NEW)
    6a. Dark Shadows. 712 (NEW)
    6b. Dark Shadows. 713 (NEW)

Tuesday, October 29th
    TV:
    6c. Dark Shadows. 714 (NEW)
    7a. Dark Shadows. 715 (NEW)
    7b. Dark Shadows. 716 (NEW)
    7c. Dark Shadows. 717 (NEW)
    Had a really hard time on Sunday. Things that hadn't already fell apart went on ahead. So some comforting DS episodes with a super crazy lady family member played just tasty by Marie Wallace. Not a fan of her Eve character episodes back but now she is a hoot with all her insaneness. I'll bet something terrible happens to her within 50 episodes or so.

Wednesday, October 30th
    72. The Invisible Man Returns. 1940
    Just okay sequel. I've never liked Vincent Price in this. His trademark voice is just not there yet. But the effects look like they are still innovating. I watched this on the day I found out my dog Honey Bun has lung cancer. She coughs sometimes when she sings with tv show themes but otherwise she's happy and energetic right now. My vet told me Honey is probably 13 or 14. He says they usually have 2 years when it looks like this. She already volunteers for how ever many hugs are needed each day. Plenty to come I think. I also took 17 year old Scooter to the vet and she came back in worse shape. I think she had an anxiety attack. :( She's better now but still not quite her "crazy old goat" self yet.

Thursday, October 31st. HALLOWEEN!
    73. The Houses October Built.
    74. MST3K: The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living & Became Mixed-up Zombies. (1964)

TV:
    8a. Dark Shadows. 718 (NEW)
    Kind of took it easy today. Didn't go with my usuals like Creepshow and Blair Witch. In fact, on Friday I watched some Gilligan's Island since Heather, Josh and Mike have fun with it on BW. STill, it's a bad year when I don't watch those 2 movies. The Houses is a very nice easy going tour of real often shocking Haunts with some almost good story elements thrown in. Has a great Halloween atmosphere. I watched just a little of the included documentary the movie was born from, never seen it and it looked seriously great. Would love to watch it, then Cropsey and Killer Legends triple feature. There's a few more like this... WNUF Halloween special, Ghostwatch and another that shows regular people putting lots of effort into their home brew haunts. Instead I only got through one MST3K, a great one and a DS. That's was it!

8. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    looks like 74 movies lots of new ones. was worried about that since I watched quite a few news last month. Plenty though.
    Messed up the numbering on the DS eps. Oh well... lol

favs:
    Universal Monsters
    the Halloweens
    80s/90s stuff like Hysterical, TAG, Night of the Comet and Innocent Blood,
    newer instant classics like Hereditary (wish I'd had time for A Ghost Story and Under the Skin, etc too... )
    original Last House on the left, Don't look in the basement and the remake of Suspiria
    Joyride (always!)
    the Alien series up to 3 (watched the first 2 in september, meant to watch the last 2 but didn't make it)
    of course all the Dark Shadows that are there to escape with.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  9. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I really liked this movie. I remember watching it around the same time as Paper House, another creepy kids movie.

dpippel likes this.
  10. John Stell

John Stell Screenwriter

John Stell
    I'll list the totals sometime Monday afternoon. Won't have time this weekend.

11. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Where did you find the Alien doc?

12. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
  13. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
  14. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    About the same as a matinee movie ticket, only without the hassle.

15. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    after reading further into the thread, i guess man's best friend affects us all so much, the wife and i could never have children so our "son" Humphrey Bogart (Bogie) had an onset of lymphoma, that we were treating, of course it's not a fix, but he did have a quality of life better befitting a more peaceful end. Then had a BBQ incident where i suffered some second degree burns from a bad flare up. then the car messed up, with the rear axle, whit all of that maybe i should have just played the lottery,

2020 is already looking better that the last 2-3 weeks

Radioman970 likes this.
  16. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Sorry for your loss and all the other recent problems, Dana. Hope things brighten up considerably from here on out!

dana martin likes this.
  17. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    Thanks Jeff,

sun is shining, the birds are singing and i am on this side of the grass, that's enough to help keep the spirits up. Nov is working out a little better already/

18. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I was comparing the price for other movies. Seems high to me.

19. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    The Prodigy (2019) is another pretty good creepy kid movie. I just watched that last night.

Radioman970 likes this.
  20. Message #480 of 488 Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    John Stell

John Stell Screenwriter

John Stell
    OK folks: here's the initial list based on some best-guess estimates. Points were awarded based on protocol in very first post (See page 1) for those who didn't supply their own point total. First time viewings are in parentheses. Please feel free to post corrections.

Michael Elliott 148 (111)
    John Stell 104 (26)
    Radioman 970 82.67 (15)
    Russell G 81 (57)
    Travis R 56 (1)
    dpippel 40 (18)
    Sandro 38 (21)
    John Rice 37 (22)
    sleroi 33 (22)
    Neil Middlemiss 31 (17)
    Bryan^H 28 (4)
    Malcolm R 27 (14)