1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

***Official 20th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2019***

Discussion in 'Movies' started by John Stell, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    much salivations over this one. Hereditary was one of last years most favs! but I might wait for next year on it.

Oh, how about this one... from the VVitch people

I have not watched these trailers because I already-friggin-know!! lol

but might be next year for me. trying to keep costs down this year. many scary things in real life ruining the fun ones.

Reggie W likes this.
  2. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    Count me in.

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I'm not going to do a theme for the entire month, but I thought I'd put an emphasis on some of the noughties remakes of '70s low budget horror/exploitation flicks. TCM, The Hills Have Eyes and such. Might do a Rob Zombie emphasis as well.

4. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I'm always looking for a way to plan out movie months as a way to go through the giant collection I have and in the October fright fest deal I try to find some genre films I have not watched. It's usually easier for me to look at newer films because I skip seeing most of them. So, at the moment I have a pretty large list of new stuff to choose from.

I still want to revisit some of my favorites like The Exorcist and Halloween but I am trying to be open to watching newer films.

I also am going to be watching some TV stuff this October. Castle Rock the series based on King's work has been shooting right around the corner from my house, so I will try to get through some of that series. I also want to try to get through some of another King series Mr. Mercedes which stars one of my favorite actors on the planet, Brendan Gleeson.

Lots to choose from this October, which has me struggling with what I will actually watch.

Here's another new one I may check out in October...

While it seems like a lousy period for film in general, with all the remakes, reboots, sequels, super heroes, big bland effects films, etc, small horror films do seem to be having a bit of a renaissance. It seems one area where filmmakers can still make pictures they want to make and get them shown in theaters.

5. Message #25 of 285 Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I picked up some nice horror deals from hamiltonbook.com. Bad Seed $8, Sector 7 and Static 3Ds $4 each, The Doctor and the Devils $3. They have a set of independent blu ray horrors with Innkeepers for $10, the Reef and Houses October Built $5 each. House Where Evil Dwells/ghost Warrior $8, $4 flat shipping so don't be stupid like me and have to place 2 orders because you forgot to get one fo the main ones you wanted that might be a movie I've been looking for for years, Houe where evil Dwells. I HOPE SO!!!

6. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Zombie has a new one out. Just saw something about it today. 3 From Hell, Devil's Rejects tie in. review are all over the place of course. Me, one of the few who LOVED Zombie's Halloween 2, will hopefully love it.

JohnRice likes this.
  7. HawksFord

HawksFord Extra

Maurice
    This sounds pretty much like what I'd be doing in October anyway, so I'm in. I'll probably have a bunch of classic monster movies on my list, but maybe I'll stretch out a bit.

Radioman970 likes this.
  8. sleroi

sleroi Second Unit

Gavin Kopp
    A partial theme for my month looks to be sequels.

I plan to finally watch my uhd of evil dead 2 and follow it up with one of the four cuts of Army of Darkness I havent watched yet. And then finally get to season 3 of Ash vs Evil Dead on netflix. And what the hell, I havent seen the remake of evil dead yet, so I might as well watch that too.

And then I plan to watch all 5 phantasm films. Ive seen and own the first two, but have never seen the rest.

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I've seen the first four, but never on blu-ray, so I may rewatch them all on blu prior to finally getting to Ravager.

sleroi likes this.
  10. Jim517

Jim517 Second Unit

Jim
    Wow. I had no idea there are 5 Phantasm films

11. Message #31 of 285 Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Greg Black

Greg Black Second Unit

Setting up camp!

[​IMG]

12. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    OK, I'm in this year!

13. Jim517

Jim517 Second Unit

Jim
    If anyone is planning to watch the new Child's Play movie(2019) be warned that it is pretty bad !

14. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    ^^^ I was definitely saying Why oh Why with that one. Advice taken, avoiding even with a hero Hamill doing the chucky voices.

15. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Child's Play is one of the series that I haven't completed nor ran in the challenge, so I plan to. I've heard some say the 2019 version was good. I'm a mark for Plaza so I'll keep an open mind.

16. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    I liked the new film. It was certainly better than most of the original film's sequels. I liked how they used today's technology and had it turn against us.

17. John Stell

John Stell Screenwriter

John Stell
    001) 10/01/2019 The Black Cat (1934) [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] (out of 4)

First teaming of Boris and Bela features one of the few Karloff characters that is completely evil; there's not one sympathetic bone is this guy's body. Karloff's satanist plans on sacrificing an injured new bride who's come to his home for help. Thankfully visiting Bela is planning revenge since Karloff betrayed him during the war and stole his wife. Great music, sets, and atmosphere. Features my favorite classic horror line of all time; "Even the phone is dead." I can't say I noticed that much of an image upgrade (compared to the DVD) on Shout!'s Blu Ray but still glad to have it.

002) 10/01/2019 The Raven (1935) [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Lugosi hams nicely as Poe-obsessed surgeon who's fallen in lust with the patient he's just saved. Her father doesn't approve, so Bela enlists prison escapee Karloff to assist in diabolical torture plot. Lugosi fans should love this since he's firing on all cylinders. ("I'm the sanest man who's ever lived!")

003) 10/01/2019 Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932) [​IMG][​IMG]1/2

I got the French Blu Ray of this several months ago (before Shout! announced its release) after debating whether to do so. For those who don't know the English soundtrack has music added to previously music-less scenes. It might have worked if the music was good and didn't, at times, drown out the dialogue. It's certainly a distraction to those familiar with the film. Regardless, the picture sure looked nice. Too bad the film is only marginally interesting. Lugosi plays mad doctor mixing ape's blood with that of various women who die as a result. Lugosi is fine and the sets look nice. But even at 61 mins this film drags in spots and spends much too much time on would-be comedy relief.

TravisR likes this.
  18. John Stell

John Stell Screenwriter

John Stell
    I also mostly enjoyed the 2019 version of Child's Play. It's not just a retread of what's come before it and has some good moments. I think my main problem was how the "evil Chucky" was set up. You don't fire a guy and then tell him to finish working on something before he leaves!

19. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    Murders in the Zoo (1933) *** 1/2

Paramount shocker has Lionel Atwill using zoo animals to kill anyone he doesn't care for. This is an exceptionally good little gem that for some reason never gets the attention it deserves. The Pre-Code violence is pretty strong for its day, Atwill is terrific and the ending is wonderful.

The Bermuda Triangle (1979) *
    Amazing World of Ghosts (1978) **
    UFO: Exclusive (1978) **

Thanks to THE LEGEND OF BOGGY CREEK making a ton of money, there were countless other "docu-dramas" where a narrator told us about strange things while we got re-enactments or photos to back up their claims. THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE is among the worst I've seen from this drama as it's just very poorly made, very boring and some of the performances had me flashing back to PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE.

AMAZING WORLD OF GHOSTS is somewhat better but the narration is so rambling that the film is all over the place and never quite makes sense on what it's trying to do. Even stranger is the fact that the majority of the running time is devoted to things other than ghosts including werewolves, zombies, UFOs, Bigfoot, voodoo and that type of stuff.

UFO: EXCLUSIVE is another film from Wheeler Dixon, the director of the above. This time out he explores that idea that UFOs are constantly visiting us and perhaps that they live inside the sun and give it its "power." Bland narration doesn't help this film and it's doubtful that it ever scared anyone over the age of four. There's way too much rambling going on and considering the various other documentaries from this era, this one here just doesn't have much going for it.

Bryan^H likes this.
  20. sleroi

sleroi Second Unit

Gavin Kopp
    1-4) Monsters season 1, first four episodes: Fever Man, Holly's House, New York Honey, the Vampire Hunter.

I remember watching several episodes of this show during its initial run in 89 or 90 and really liking it. I didnt know there were 3 seasons until I stumbled across this on Amazon Prime.

The opening is a little cheesy, but the episodes range from serious to whimsical. Its kind of a twilight zone-esque anthology show. It still holds up for me. The writing and special effects are excellent, the acting maybe a little less good, but at 21 minutes the episodes fly by.

The picture is a little soft, but still looks quite good for a 30 year old SD show.

Malcolm R likes this.