What's new

Official 2024 Oscar Nominations And Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Anatomy of a Fall and The Zone of Interest would have been intense competitors for Best International Film this year if both had been nominated. Because Anatomy of a Fall was not submitted there, The Zone of Interest will basically have it by default because it is the only Best Picture nominee in the category. France really botched their selection for this year.

Woulda also been interesting that both starred the same actress as well, heh.

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
But from my understanding, due to the way nominees are selected, who gets to vote, and the voting system - that may not necessarily be the case.
Technically, yes. There is no official correlation between the two and they are voted on separately. However, practically speaking, there has never been an incidence where a non-English Best Picture nominee failed to win the international award for which it was also nominated. If Anatomy of a Fall and The Zone of Interest had both been nominated in Best International Film this year, one of them would have broken that by losing. But they weren't. The Zone of Interest has to be considered the favorite for the International category, so I think the trend will continue.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Technically, yes. There is no official correlation between the two and they are voted on separately. However, practically speaking, there has never been an incidence where a non-English Best Picture nominee failed to win the international award for which it was also nominated. If Anatomy of a Fall and The Zone of Interest had both been nominated in Best International Film this year, one of them would have broken that by losing. But they weren't. The Zone of Interest has to be considered the favorite for the International category, so I think the trend will continue.

For sure - if another film wins International this year rather than Zone Of Interest, given it’s nom’d for BP, then I’m sure some industry folks (and fans) will call the process into question.

Speaking of International - I know it’s a new title for what was previously Foreign Language, but does International still mean (predominantly) non-English? For example, could a Malaysian film with 55% in English be eligible?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For example, could a Malaysian film with 55% in English be eligible?
There is a percentage rule which a film is required to meet to be considered eligible. I don't know what the percentage is. But I don't believe that the rules actually changed when the category title did. The intention is still to acknowledge films from other countries that are not primarily in English. I think it was Alfonso Cuarón who suggested the name change after he won for Roma. If I recall correctly, he pointed out that the films aren't in foreign languages in their country of origin, so International is a more accurate title for the award. I don't remember where I read that, though.

Last edited:

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
I just saw The Taste of Things. This the movie that France chose to submit as its entry for Best International Film instead of Anatomy of a Fall. I liked Anatomy of a Fall but was a lot cooler on it than most people. I think it is a good movie that I was interested in while it was on, but not a great one.

In comparison to The Taste of Things, though, Anatomy of a Fall might as well be Citizen Kane. Having actually seen both, the choice of The Taste of Things as France's submission feels like even more of a blunder than it already was. The Taste of Things did not work for me in any significant way. The best part of it was the Dune Part Two trailer that ran in front of it.
TASTE OF THINGS is a fine movie. It's a shame that it will be mostly remembered as the film that "took" ANATOMY OF A FALL's 'spot' as France's submission.
I prefer ANATOMY as well, but, TASTE is better than a few of the actual Best Picture nominees this year (looking at you MAESTRO and AMERICAN FICTION in particular)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
TASTE is better than a few of the actual Best Picture nominees this year (looking at you MAESTRO and AMERICAN FICTION in particular)
Your post and this one prove just how subjective this whole awards conversation is both amongst ourselves and with respect to actual voters, which I am not.

I absolutely hated every second of The Taste of Things. I went into it expecting to like it but just found absolutely nothing for me to grab onto and invest in there. I was bored out of my mind and just thought it was awful and overindulgent. If I had been alone, I would have gotten up and left in the middle of it. The last time I hated a film enough to do that was 2016. But the person I went with wanted to finish it.

American Fiction is my least favorite of the Best Picture nominees this year that I've seen. (I have to exclude The Zone of Interest from this point because I don't want to see it.) But I would still much rather watch American Fiction again than ever endure sitting through Taste of Things a second time.

And I think Maestro is great.

Last edited:

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Your post and this one prove just how subjective this whole awards conversation is both amongst ourselves and with respect to actual voters, which I am not.
Of course. But, I'm hardly alone. TASTE OF THINGS has a 98 on RT. I'd add BARBIE in as well as Best Pic nominees I liked less

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
BAFTA's Best Film Winners the last ten years:

2023 Oppenheimer
2022 All Quiet on the Western Front
2021 The Power of the Dog
2020 Nomadland
2019 1917
2018 Roma
2017 Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
2016 La La Land
2015 The Revenant
2014 Boyhood
BAFTA may not be 'predictive' of the Oscars, but I'll take that list of winners over the Best Picture winners the prior 9 years.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I don't know which list I like better, but the BAFTA winners definitely aren't crazy.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Of course. But, I'm hardly alone. TASTE OF THINGS has a 98 on RT.

And American Fiction has a 94 on RT, a movie you don't like.

I also notice on RT that International Feature Films tend to have less reviews in the aggregate. American Fiction, for example, has 249 reviews and ToT has 156. 100 or so more reviews and who knows what the score would be if that many more were there for ToT. I also take into account the Audience score. That score for ToT is 70%. (By contrast, Anatomy of a Fall has 90%.) American Fiction's audience score 95%.

Sometimes I read the reviews from critics where their review is rated fresh and you have to wonder why. I remember reading a review once where the reviewer complained about nearly everything about the film, but in his last paragraph he said "but I recommend it because..."

I've seen over the past 2-3 awards seasons, Joe, that you seem to prefer the International Feature Films that get attention. I like when people are passionate about movies. Conversations about what we all like or think is best reminds me of the (originally excised) "snails and oysters" scene in Spartacus.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think people are wondering what "make sense" has to do with anything. These are just votes by a group of people involved in the industry about what their opinions are of the top films of the year. There's no logic to it. It's just largely a popularity contest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks