What's new

Official 2024 Oscar Nominations And Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Never understood this criticism. Never struggled to understand the dialogue in a Nolan movie.

Also pretty sure directors care about more than whether or not dialogue is 100% intelligible at all times anyway.
I shared this link in the Oppenheimer thread, clearly Nolan understands the criticism. It's not my imagination.

Mark

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I saw and loved The Teacher's Lounge (Germany's nominee for International Picture) tonight. Excellent film about thefts in a middle school and how various accusations lead the school to chaos.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Was running late for Dune re-release at Lincoln Sq IMAX, so ended up switching for Wim Wender's Perfect Days instead before catching Dune in the late show that'll start shortly.

Perfect Days was not on my radar at all, but sprung up as a good alternative for the time slot when I checked.

Extremely pleasantly surprised... and definitely worthy of its Oscar nom.

I know it's kinda nuts that I've actually never even seen a Wim Wender film before... even though I do actually own a couple on Criterion BD in my nearly insurmountable backlog (plus whatever are on The Criterion Channel), LOL.

_Man_

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Oppenheimer cleaning up at the BAFTAs so far with wins for Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Score, Cinematography, and Editing.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Poor things did pretty well too. And other Best Actress award for Emma on her way to her second Oscar.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
BAFTA's Best Film Winners the last ten years:

2023 Oppenheimer
2022 All Quiet on the Western Front
2021 The Power of the Dog
2020 Nomadland
2019 1917
2018 Roma
2017 Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
2016 La La Land
2015 The Revenant
2014 Boyhood

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
BAFTA's Best Film Winners the last ten years:

2023 Oppenheimer
2022 All Quiet on the Western Front
2021 The Power of the Dog
2020 Nomadland
2019 1917
2018 Roma
2017 Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
2016 La La Land
2015 The Revenant
2014 Boyhood
Not a good record in predicting Oscar wins. 1 win out of 9. Oppy would make 2. That’s an 80% failure rate. 🤪

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Maybe the BAFTA voters just aren't concerned with what their counterparts at the Oscars are going to do.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Maybe the BAFTA voters just aren't concerned with what their counterparts at the Oscars are going to do.
Of course. The BAFTA’s have never been a good prognosticator of the Oscars. They do their own thing. As they should.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just saw The Taste of Things. This the movie that France chose to submit as its entry for Best International Film instead of Anatomy of a Fall. I liked Anatomy of a Fall but was a lot cooler on it than most people. I think it is a good movie that I was interested in while it was on, but not a great one.

In comparison to The Taste of Things, though, Anatomy of a Fall might as well be Citizen Kane. Having actually seen both, the choice of The Taste of Things as France's submission feels like even more of a blunder than it already was. The Taste of Things did not work for me in any significant way. The best part of it was the Dune Part Two trailer that ran in front of it.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Is this the first time a film won both Outstanding British Film and Film Not In The English Language?

The Zone of Interest won both.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just saw all nominees for Live Action Shorts and while all of the nominees were worthy, it will be hard to beat Wes Anderson's The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar.

Not only was it directed by Wes Anderson, it starred Ralph Fiennes, Benedict Cumberbatch, Dev Patel, and Ben Kingsley.

Recognizable stars in other nominees included David Oyelowo and Brittany Snow.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I just saw The Taste of Things. This the movie that France chose to submit as its entry for Best International Film instead of Anatomy of a Fall. I liked Anatomy of a Fall but was a lot cooler on it than most people. I think it is a good movie that I was interested in while it was on, but not a great one.

In comparison to The Taste of Things, though, Anatomy of a Fall might as well be Citizen Kane. Having actually seen both, the choice of The Taste of Things as France's submission feels like even more of a blunder than it already was. The Taste of Things did not work for me in any significant way. The best part of it was the Dune Part Two trailer that ran in front of it.

I'll probably go see that (and probably Origin finally and something else I haven't decided yet... maybe Scrambled? or Out of Darkness? or maybe Perfect Days again? as not sure I actually wanna see the Bob Marley biopic, Lisa Frankenstein, Argylle or Madame Web, heh :P) in the coming week.

_Man_

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Out of curiosity, I looked to see if any BP winners only won BP, and found 3:

"Broadway Melody"
"Grand Hotel"
"Mutiny on the Bounty".

"Hotel" is the "champ" here, as it only received the one nomination!

Out of fairness, the Oscars had fewer categories as well as fewer noms per categories other than BP: only 3 per Best Actor/Actress/Director, for instance.

In the later years with more expansive categories/noms, we find some 2-win BP winners.

1940's "Rebecca" gets the most whiffs, with 11 noms and only 2 wins.

2015's "Spotlight" is the most recent 2-win BP winner.

It was actually the 1st 2-win BP winner since 1952's "Greatest Show on Earth"!

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
In comparison to The Taste of Things, though, Anatomy of a Fall might as well be Citizen Kane. Having actually seen both, the choice of The Taste of Things as France's submission feels like even more of a blunder than it already was.
It's only a blunder in terms of winning an award, but I've read articles detailing several reasons why the committee didn't choose it, from the fact that English is spoken in 50% or more of the film to this: She lashed out at the “neo-liberal” government and said it was “breaking down the French model cultural exception,” when she accepted her award at Cannes. She soon found herself in the middle of a backlash that went on for weeks, dominating the media. Although the film was ultimately a success at the box office, Triet made enemies inside and out of the film world and was criticized for having partly financed “Anatomy of a Fall” with subsidy money from the same government that she criticized on Cannes’ stage. She later said she had not realized the impact that her speech would have. Don't bite the hand that feeds you, in other words.

Normally a movie with such a high profile would probably win the Oscar in that category, but this year The Zone of Interest is a formidable foe. I believe you once wrote that no movie that's been nominated in the International Feature film category and for Best Picture has ever lost the International Feature film award.

P.S.: I agree with your assessment of the film.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
BAFTA also votes for the best film of 5 nominees. I'm convinced some of AMPAS's winners would have been the same as BAFTA's if it not were the ten nominees and weighted ballot system of voting.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member

A film nom'd for International and BP should win the International award, based on the notion that International is a subset of all films eligible for BP. Unless there are 2 or more films with the same 2 noms, of course, in which case one of them should win International.

But from my understanding, due to the way nominees are selected, who gets to vote, and the voting system - that may not necessarily be the case.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Here is a bit of Oscars trivia that I've been fascinated about.

Philadelphia (1993), starring Tom Hanks, is (I believe) the last film to feature 2 actors who have won consecutive acting Oscars (Jason Robards is the other actor in the cast). (It's OK if the actor won their 2nd Oscar later.)

Which got me thinking, how many other films are there with this distinction?

First, we have the list of actors who have won consecutive acting Oscars:

Luise Rainer (1936/37)
Katharine Hepburn (1967/68)
Spencer Tracy (1937/38)
Robards (1976/77)
Hanks (1993/94)

Only 5!

Doing a Google search for films:

* We have 9 Hepburn/Tracy films. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katharine_Hepburn_and_Spencer_Tracy

* We also have Big City (1937) with Rainer and Tracy.

* Long Day's Journey Into Night (1962) with Hepburn and Robards.

Are there any others I may have missed?

Two more bits of trivia associated with the above:

* Both Tracy and Robards starred in a version of Inherit The Wind (Tracy in 1960, Robards in 1988), playing the same character!

* Haven't seen this oddity, but the French film https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Classe_américaine features both Tracy and Robards, compiled from their appearances in other films. This obviously doesn't count, since it's a compilation.

Given Hanks is the only surviving actor with the distinction, there won't be another film to join this list until another actor wins consecutive acting Oscars.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Normally a movie with such a high profile would probably win the Oscar in that category, but this year The Zone of Interest is a formidable foe. I believe you once wrote that no movie that's been nominated in the International Feature film category and for Best Picture has ever lost the International Feature film award.
Anatomy of a Fall and The Zone of Interest would have been intense competitors for Best International Film this year if both had been nominated. Because Anatomy of a Fall was not submitted there, The Zone of Interest will basically have it by default because it is the only Best Picture nominee in the category. France really botched their selection for this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks