What's new

Official 2020 Oscar Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That was a really pleasant and well-deserved surprise. I would love to think that Parasite winning Ensemble gives its Oscar chances a shot in the arm.
I think Parasite will win the recently renamed Best International Feature Film Oscar as a consolation prize. Likewise, I think either Jojo Rabbit or Little Women will win the Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar as a consolation prize.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think Parasite will win the recently renamed Best International Feature Film Oscar as a consolation prize.

As is always the case when a foreign film cracks the Best Picture category, winning its own category essentially becomes a formality. If Parasite was not the winner of the International Film category, then the Academy would essentially be saying that the alternate winner of International Film is actually better than one of their Best Picture nominees, which would make them look stupid.

I still think Parasite would be a deserving winner of Best Picture as well, though I agree that's unlikely to happen. There are several good films in the lineup this year which I think would be deserving, and there doesn't appear to be a real stinker in the bunch.

Likewise, I think either Jojo Rabbit or Little Women will win the Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar as a consolation prize.

I'm a big fan of Jojo Rabbit and would probably vote for it as Best Picture if I had a vote (which I don't.) That being said, I personally am pulling for Little Women in Adapted Screenplay. I haven't read the novel that is the basis for Jojo Rabbit so can't speak to its adaptation. But what Gerwig did in reorganizing Little Women in a nonlinear fashion, and her turning the ending on its ear, is a tremendous feat of adaptation that pulled something new out of a story that most people know very well. So in terms of an adaptation of its source, I certainly think that what she did is particularly noteworthy and deserving of recognition.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is a couple weeks old now and not specifically about the Oscar nominations as they hadn't been announced yet when this was filmed, but I just found this on YouTube and thought this was the best place to put it. This is a directors roundtable for The Hollywood Reporter with several directors whose films are on the awards circuit this season. Todd Phillips ('Joker'), Martin Scorsese ('The Irishman'), Lulu Wang ('The Farewell'), Noah Baumbach ('Marriage Story'), Greta Gerwig ('Little Women'), and Fernando Meirelles ('The Two Popes'). It's a really interesting conversation.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Caught up with Bombshell and Jojo Rabbit, only have Marriage Story to round out the list of BP nominees viewing.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I have seen all the films that received nominations in any categories (I don't include Song) except for Les Miserables (tomorrow's viewing), a short doc (St. Louis Superman), and the 10 shorts (animated and live action) which I'll be seeing on Feb. 7. I'm done.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'm thrilled that Parasite won last night. I'm certainly rooting for it to pull off the upset, but I'm guessing that 1917 will take home the big prize on Oscar night.

At least this year, I'd really be fine with any of the 9 Best Picture nominees winning. All of those films are great.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Having had almost a week to sit with the nominations, I would rank the Best Picture nominees as such if I were a voter:

1) Jojo Rabbit, by a wide margin
2) Parasite
3) Little Women
4) Marriage Story
5) Ford v. Ferrari
6) Joker
7) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
8) The Irishman

1917 excluded because I'm still weary of its gunfire and explosions making me jump, not as a value judgment against it. But all of these that I've seen are good films. They don't have a stinker in the bunch this year, which is kind of unusual.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Of the ones I've seen:
  1. Jojo Rabbit
  2. Little Women
  3. 1917
  4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
I would be happy if either Jojo Rabbit or Little Women win. I don't think 1917 or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood are worthy of Best Picture, though both are better targeted to Academy voters than my two favorites.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Oftentimes in recent years, the Academy nominates some popular films, but still manages to award a small one that not very many people have actually seen with the big prize. Ideally, awards should be about what they think the best film is, not about how popular it is; this is why they had the idea to create the ill-conceived Best Popular Movie category that was branded about for a while last year. And to be clear, I love many of the small films they have awarded recently. However, I do think they need to find a way to also acknowledge bigger films that mass audiences have actually seen, without compromising the value of their awards. If they keep awarding only small films, then eventually interest in the awards process will wane, and then they will lose their significance in the eyes of the average moviegoing public. Moonlight, for example, is a hell of a film, and one which I love very much -- but La La Land reached a far wider audience. The Shape of Water is a wonderful movie, but Get Out was the one that really penetrated pop culture that year.

This year, they actually nominated a lot of movies that people actually saw, which is good. Joker, Ford v. Ferrari and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood were all past $100 million domestically before they were nominated. Little Women and 1917 are on the way there shortly. But in this particular year, I actually think the two least-attended movies are the best two, which isn't always the case. (I'm excluding the two Netflix films from this discussion because there's no way to reliably know how many people watched them.) So, if either of my two favorites were to win, that would again represent the Academy choosing films which don't mean very much to a wide audience.

That being said, none of the films I have seen are bad. There's not a Crash (shudder), Darkest Hour, The Theory of Everything, or Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close in this group of films. So I'm not sure I would actually begrudge any of these films winning. (Well, I might be a bit sad if Joker wins what The Dark Knight deserved to be recognized for first, but Joker is still a good movie.) There have been winners in the recent past which I have extremely disagreed with, and I don't think I would personally be upset with any of these. There are still some flms that I would have nominated instead of some of the nominees personally, as is almost always the case when you're talking about personal preferences, but I don't think any of these are bad or lacking recognition.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I just blind bought Judy- hopefully I’ll have a chance to watch it this weekend.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Given all the backlash on lack of diversity re: Oscar noms, a vote for Parasite as Best Picture could be the Academy's defence.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Given all the backlash on lack of diversity re: Oscar noms, a vote for Parasite as Best Picture could be the Academy's defence.

You may be right, we'll see, but the fact it won the SAG Ensemble Drama award had more to do with the fact it truly was an ensemble acting piece that required great performances from the actors from both families working in unison as well as contrast with each other in order for the story to have resonance and work. It was a marvel, in that regard. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Oscar Best Picture category recognizes that, as well.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
When the nominations were announced, I had only seen 4 of the BP noms, now that is up to seven.

Finally got to see Jojo Rabbit as my AMC brought it back this weekend, this time with late night showings! What an incredibly entertaining and funny movie. Glad I got to see it as it is now one of my favorite 2019 movies. If I had a vote it would be a very tough choice between Jojo Rabbit and 1917.

So, only 2 left to see, The Irishman and Parasite. I'm giving my AMC another week to play Parasite but, I doubt it shows up. I may just have to rent it from iTunes. Honestly, I'm not sure when I'll be in the mood to watch The Irishman unless I split it over a few nights. The movie has never looked that interesting to me and it is almost 4 hours long.

This is my current ranking of the BP nominees that I have seen:

1 (tie) - 1917, Jojo Rabbit
3 - Ford vs. Ferrari
4 - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
5 - Marriage Story
6 - Little Women
7 - Joker

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Saw Les misérables yesterday. Corpus Christi doesn't open till April so it's a moot point since I can't see it before the show. I've seen the balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks