What's new

Official 2020 Oscar Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Parasite comes out on BD later this month (probably On Demand shortly thereafter). Check it out before you make your final Best Picture picks if only to see why it justly belongs there.

No spoilers, but I will say that this is 2019's Get Out; a wildly entertaining picture with social relevance that takes a wickedly unexpected turn. Bold and original.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Parasite comes out on BD later this month (probably On Demand shortly thereafter). Check it out before you make your final Best Picture picks if only to see why it justly belongs there.

No spoilers, but I will say that this is 2019's Get Out; a wildly entertaining picture with social relevance that takes a wickedly unexpected turn. Bold and original.
Much better than Get Out simply because it didn't cop out.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
A lot of JOKER haters on this board. Going to be a rough Monday, February 10th for those folks.

I predict JOKER to win several of its categories, beyond the obvious lock of Phoenix.

A phenomenal movie, one of the year's best.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Parasite.

If there’s any justice in this world it will win the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay.

Just finished watching it and it was tremendous.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
So far, I’ve only seen 2 of the Best Picture nominees, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Ford v Ferrari. I own Joker but haven’t watched it yet. We plan to see 1917 this afternoon.

Beyond that, I really don’t have much interest in the rest of the BP nominees. I think I’ll be rooting for OUATIH to win big on Oscar night. My Best Actress pick is Renée Zellweger. She *became* Judy Garland.

Mark

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The visual effects in Gemini Man outstrip what they accomplished in The Irishman. But Gemini Man was hurt by being a critical and box office flop.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The visual effects in Gemini Man outstrip what they accomplished in The Irishman. But Gemini Man was hurt by being a critical and box office flop.

The seams for both showed to me in different areas, I guess it’s more about what you’re valuing when you look at the whole thing.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
So far, I’ve only seen 2 of the Best Picture nominees, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Ford v Ferrari. I own Joker but haven’t watched it yet. We plan to see 1917 this afternoon.

Beyond that, I really don’t have much interest in the rest of the BP nominees. I think I’ll be rooting for OUATIH to win big on Oscar night. My Best Actress pick is Renée Zellweger. She *became* Judy Garland.

Mark

While I didn't care for "Hollywood", I'd be fine with QT winning as a "career recognition"! :)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I've seen all the Best Picture nominees and here's my personal choice order, based entirely upon enjoyment, and not in any way a prediction.
(no spoilers, I believe)

Jojo Rabbit

No film hit me more in the gut with emotions and originality than this story of a 10-year old boy falling in love for the first time with the greatest possible forbidden object, and in tremendous conflict with his own Nazi youth programming. Not even his most primal consciousness, embodied as a 10 year-old's version of an imaginary friend Hitler, can help him sort it out. It's not just about tolerance, folks, but love itself.​
Parasite
Class warfare (and satire) never experienced such a wild ride as this brilliant story wrapped in a perfectly (and horrifyingly) unfolding and unexpected series of events.​
A technical marvel in cinematography that puts the audience directly near the first person experience of a solder navigating the perils of no man's land, but story-wise it's thin by the very nature of the premise and technique, and never quite has the emotional impact that Peter Weir's Gallipoli delivered for me with a very similar premise and a more heartbreaking ironic payoff.​
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
I totally enjoyed this flashback to Hollywood's headier times, characters and locations, but if you watch too closely you realize the story is pretty thin to the point of mist and basically just wafts and rambles around until the conclusion. I was happy to wander along, but tighter, better structured scripts deserve more glory.​
Little Women
I went into this having paid no attention to previous versions (hey, I'm a dude), but simply appreciating this story, characters and performances on its own merits. I was transported, wrapped up in these characters' lives, and anxiously awaiting their outcomes. And that's all on the director Gerwig, who was criminally left off as a nominee.​
Ford v Ferrari
A masterfully-crafted and acted (Christian Bale!) race car movie, but ultimately it's still a race car film and I've rounded all these laps before.​
Marriage Story
An actors' showcase more than anything else, and I so appreciated that fantastic scene between Johansson and Driver that encapsulates their entire love, and ultimately resentment, story together in one gobsmacking fireworks display. Bravo. Kramer vs. Kramer updated.​
The Irishman
Of course it's wonderfully acted and directed, but seriously, what have we seen here that we haven't seen from this team before? And points off, big time for me, because the entire tale comes from an unreliable narrator, who takes credit for something he probably had nothing to do with for the sheer prospect of selling his book. I'd rather watch Goodfellas again.​
Joker
OK Boomer, yes, I'm an old dude who just doesn't want to spend two and a half hours of his life watching someone slowly and mentally unravel into a psychopath in the big bad city. I actually only sort of liked it the first time I saw it in Taxi Driver. Yes, Phoenix wins Best Actor for the contortions he puts himself through, and that is always the type of deformed soul role, physically or mentally, that wins. But, personally, I'd rather watch Caesar Romero crack up. Or crack me up.
Again, these are just my prejudiced order choices; your own prejudices may vary.

My prediction is that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood wins Best Picture because Hollywood loves nothing more than congratulating itself, or a former video-store-film-lover/pusher and archivist turned director.

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We loved '1917', it's a 5 out of 5 film! But I'll still be rooting for Hollywood to win Best Picture. My picks so far...

Best Picture: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Actor in a Leading Role: Leonardo DiCaprio (Hollywood)
Actress in a Leading Role: Renée Zellweger (Judy)
Best Director: Quentin Tarantino (Hollywood)
Cinematography: Roger Dekins (1917)

I still have several films to see before taking stabs at other nominations. Those films may change some of my above picks, but I doubt it.

The two I'll be most disappointed if they don't come to pass are Renée Zellweger and Roger Deakins. They both absolutely deserve those golden statues.

Mark

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
1917 is officially the BP front runner after tonight’s PGA awards.

“Universal's war drama 1917 won outstanding producer of theatrical motion pictures at the 31st annual Producers Guild Awards on Saturday night, received by a producing team that includes director Sam Mendes. “

If Mendes wins the DGA award next Saturday, which he is favored to, then 1917 winning BP and BD is almost a guaranteed certainty.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
From Deadline.

The Producers Guild unveiled the year’s best in film and TV producing Saturday at the 31st annual PGA Awards at the Hollywood Palladium, with Universal’s 1917 taking the top film prize. It keeps the momentum going strong for Sam Mendes’ World War I epic, which is produced and financed by Amblin Partners and New Republic, after it picked up the Golden Globe for Best Picture – Drama earlier this month.

The PGA via its marquee category has picked the Best Picture Oscar 21 times in its 30-year history, including Green Book, another Universal pic, last year, and Fox Searchlight’s The Shape of Water in 2018.

“Thank you very, very much Producers Guild,” Mendes said onstage in his acceptance speech. “This film was inspired by my grandfather, and my hope above all was to honor his experience. I have to pay tribute to the efforts on the part of every single member of this crew and cast.”

The Darryl F. Zanuck Award for Outstanding Producer of Theatrical Motion Pictures race this year included all nine Oscar Best Picture nominees1917 along with Ford v Ferrari, The Irishman, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Little Women, Marriage Story, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Parasite — joined by Rian Johnson’s Knives Out.

1917‘s winning producers are Mendes, Pippa Harris, Jayne‐Ann Tenggren and Callum McDougall.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Here are the remaining Awards shows

9723D25D-B4E4-4E2F-931D-89EB0387159A.png

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
FYI, The Screen Actor's Guild Awards will be presented tonight.

Airing on TBS and TNT at 8 PM.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That was a really pleasant and well-deserved surprise. I would love to think that Parasite winning Ensemble gives its Oscar chances a shot in the arm. However, the last two years the Ensemble award went to Black Panther and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, so they have not had much correlation recently. As far as I can recall, Spotlight is the most recent film to win both Best Ensemble at SAG and Best Picture at the Oscars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks