What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Official 2020 Oscar Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
What does everyone want the Academy members to do, honestly? I think we all want them to award the films they feel deserve to be honored so, how do you force diversity? If you fill out your ballot based on what you truly feel are the best selections of the year but, your ballot isn't diverse, should you be forced to change your vote just to satisfy political correctness? Also, aren't some of these elite Hollywood folks the members that do the voting, so they are getting mad at themselves?

How can diversity be encourage while still honoring what they view as the best of the year, without artificially requiring a certain number of diverse picks per category just to check off boxes?

If you had asked me to put together a list of what I viewed as the best films, actors, scores, etc. of the year before the nominations were announced; my list would have looked very similar because I agreed with most. Maybe a few changes here and there like "Knives Out" instead of "Joker" for BP, "Jojo Rabbit" and "Knives Out" instead of "Joker" and "Marriage Story" for score. None of that would have helped diversity and my score picks would have made it worse. Am I a horribly insensitive bad person because my picks are not diverse enough? Is my opinion invalid because what I liked the best lacks diversity? I can't help it, these are the things that resonated the most with me this year. Should I be required to change some things on my ballot to help diversify the show, even if I don't think those choices represent the best of the year?

What do people really want the Academy to do?
I don't think the problem is with the Academy, it's with the industry on a much larger level. The industry doesn't give minorities the same kinds of opportunities (budgets, taking a chance on a small drama, ad campaigns, FYC campaigns, etc.) that movies made by white men get and that keeps them out more than anything else. On the plus side, I think highlighting the problem will help to (slowly) correct it.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
This is the 2nd straight year in which foreign films have won major rewards outside of the Foreign Language or International Film categories.

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
I see comments on social media criticizing the Oscars, saying they want the public to watch, but yet don't reward the most popular films that most people have seen. There is some validity to that, although that's never really been what the Oscars are.

For the first fifty years at least, maybe longer, most people didn't see the films, or saw very few, until after the Oscars had been awarded. The Oscars were like a commercial for movies to go see.

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
Is it me or are people taking these award critiques a little too personally? Now, we're telling people they can't bash "Green Book".

There were at least three separate posts in that vein, as though it shouldn't have won a la Shakespeare in Love and Crash, I thought I'd offer a counter-point. I'm recalling a Wayne Dyer quote: Don't take it personally. Unless it is.

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
This is the 2nd straight year in which foreign films have won major rewards outside of the Foreign Language or International Film categories.

I was reading that in the last decade only one Best Director winner was American, too. And his father was born in France.

In addition to Parasite beating the odds in that the DGA winner usually wins the Oscar and that no foreign language film had won Best Picture, no film had won the Palme d'Or at Cannes and won the Oscar for Best Picture since Marty!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And anyway, ratings were up slightly this year.
HR seems to indicate ratings were lower:

ABC's broadcast comes in about 3 million viewers behind the previous low in 2018.

ABC's Oscar telecast reached all-time lows in the ratings, falling sharply from last year.

The three-hour-plus broadcast averaged about 23.6 million viewers and a 5.3 rating among adults 18-49, well below the 29.56 million and 7.7 for last year's awards — which aired two weeks later. The Oscars were down 20 percent year to year in viewers and 31 percent in the key ad-sales demo of adults 18-49.

Last year's Oscars stopped a four-year ratings slide, growing the audience for the first time since 2014.

Sunday's show also falls well short of previous ratings lows for the Oscars, set in 2018. That year the telecast averaged 26.54 million viewers and a 6.8 rating in the demo; Sunday was down 11 percent in viewers and 22 percent in adults 18-49 from prior lows.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...time-low-tv-ratings-sunday-feb-9-2020-1278364

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Just put a hold at my local library on Parasite so I shall see it soon. Some great foreign films were nominated for best picture and my favorites are Grand Illusion, Z, and Cries and Whispers.
And as much as I enjoy The Sting, it's certainly not as great a film as Cries and Whispers. Grand Illusion, as I stated earlier, is greater than You Can't Take It with You. Midnight Cowboy and Z...well, I'm torn about these two...

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
^^^

One can certainly argue greatness, but repeatability is something I take into account for a great film. I do not care to watch Cries & Whispers again, but I do watch The Sting occasionally. Love everything about it. I'm reading David S. Ward's inspiration for it currently, as a matter of fact, David W. Maurer's The Big Con.

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Regarding the ratings.

From Deadline.

Oscar Viewership Hits All-Time Low With 23.6 Million

But the ceremony, which clocked in at 3 hours and 35 minutes — up from 3 hours, 23 minutes in 2019 — could not repeat last year’s ratings turnaround, drawing 23.6 million total viewers and a 5.3 rating in the adults 18-49 demographic, based on Nielsen’s Live+Same Day Fast National ratings ordered by ABC. That is down double-digits from last year’s 29.6 million and a 7.7 rating of among adults 18-49.

Overall, the Oscars was the most watched entertainment special since last year’s ceremony, topping the Grammy Awards and Golden Globes in total viewers. Other broadcast networks didn’t try to compete Sunday, with all airing repeats.

Here is a list of the list of the Oscars ceremonies of the past two decades with viewership totals, per Nielsen:

2019: 29.6 million, Green Book (No host)
2018: 26.5 million, The Shape of Water (Jimmy Kimmel)
2017: 32.9 million, Moonlight (Jimmy Kimmel)
2016: 34.4 million, Spotlight (Chris Rock)
2015: 37.3 million, Birdman (Neil Patrick Harris)
2014: 43.7 million, 12 Years a Slave (Ellen DeGeneres)
2013: 40.3 million, Argo (Seth MacFarlane)
2012: 39.3 million, The Artist (Billy Crystal)
2011: 37.9 million, The King’s Speech (Anne Hathaway/James Franco)
2010: 41.3 million, The Hurt Locker (Steve Martin/Alec Baldwin)
2009: 36.3 million, Slumdog Millionaire (Hugh Jackman)
2008: 32.0 million, No Country For Old Men (Jon Stewart)
2007: 40. 2 million, The Departed (Ellen DeGeneres)
2006: 38.9 million, Crash (Jon Stewart)
2005 42.1 million, Million Dollar Baby (Chris Rock)
2004: 43.5 million, The Lord Of The Rings: The Return of the King (Billy Crystal)
2003: 33.0 million, Chicago (Steve Martin)
2002: 41.8 million, A Beautiful Mind (Whoopi Goldberg)
2001: 42.9 million, Gladiator (Steve Martin)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
And stop bashing Green Book. I wanted it to win. I've watched it a few times. And though I don't care for Shakespeare in Love, a lot of people do. And a lot of those people are women.
Excuse me but who are you to tell anyone their opinion on a friggin movie is not allowed.

All we do is watch them, just like you unless you secretly have some creative part in the making of that movie.

If someone told me that my FAVORITE movie blows who am I to tell them they’re not allowed to say that.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Regarding the ratings.

From Deadline.

Oscar Viewership Hits All-Time Low With 23.6 Million

But the ceremony, which clocked in at 3 hours and 35 minutes — up from 3 hours, 23 minutes in 2019 — could not repeat last year’s ratings turnaround, drawing 23.6 million total viewers and a 5.3 rating in the adults 18-49 demographic, based on Nielsen’s Live+Same Day Fast National ratings ordered by ABC. That is down double-digits from last year’s 29.6 million and a 7.7 rating of among adults 18-49.

Overall, the Oscars was the most watched entertainment special since last year’s ceremony, topping the Grammy Awards and Golden Globes in total viewers. Other broadcast networks didn’t try to compete Sunday, with all airing repeats.

Here is a list of the list of the Oscars ceremonies of the past two decades with viewership totals, per Nielsen:

2019: 29.6 million, Green Book (No host)
2018: 26.5 million, The Shape of Water (Jimmy Kimmel)
2017: 32.9 million, Moonlight (Jimmy Kimmel)
2016: 34.4 million, Spotlight (Chris Rock)
2015: 37.3 million, Birdman (Neil Patrick Harris)
2014: 43.7 million, 12 Years a Slave (Ellen DeGeneres)
2013: 40.3 million, Argo (Seth MacFarlane)
2012: 39.3 million, The Artist (Billy Crystal)
2011: 37.9 million, The King’s Speech (Anne Hathaway/James Franco)
2010: 41.3 million, The Hurt Locker (Steve Martin/Alec Baldwin)
2009: 36.3 million, Slumdog Millionaire (Hugh Jackman)
2008: 32.0 million, No Country For Old Men (Jon Stewart)
2007: 40. 2 million, The Departed (Ellen DeGeneres)
2006: 38.9 million, Crash (Jon Stewart)
2005 42.1 million, Million Dollar Baby (Chris Rock)
2004: 43.5 million, The Lord Of The Rings: The Return of the King (Billy Crystal)
2003: 33.0 million, Chicago (Steve Martin)
2002: 41.8 million, A Beautiful Mind (Whoopi Goldberg)
2001: 42.9 million, Gladiator (Steve Martin)

The problem with this kind of (totally accurate) reporting and the knee jerk reaction from TV execs and industry trades is that it lacks context. Any program is lucky to have live viewers at all these days, and those numbers are simply astonishing in the context of what entertainment options people have in 2020. In an era where all of the information from the awards is available online, instantly and free, and where people have the capability of recording a show to watch without commercials, the fact that over twenty million people watched this live is astonishing and they should find a way to see that as the win it is.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's always bugged me that they'll let the celebs prattle on for hours but Best Editor gets like 3 seconds before they start to play the music!

Maybe they could drop 2 or 3 pointless montages and allow a little more time for people to speak?

This is a life highlight for these people - let them enjoy it!
Or better yet, drop the random Eminem performance.

What does everyone want the Academy members to do, honestly? I think we all want them to award the films they feel deserve to be honored so, how do you force diversity?
The film industry itself has to change. The Academy Awards are just a reflection of the industry they celebrate. Women direct less than 10 percent of the major motion pictures most years. Given that statistic, it's no surprise there have been so few women nominated in the directing category. The various craft guilds are also disproportionately white, and since Hollywood is a union town that creates a real barrier for entry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulg1000
Recent bookmarks